Big Bus Tours Employee Reviews

Stay away from this company -- It is a disaster!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Miami, FL1 April 2019
I worked for this company for a short time and never seen anything like this: employees come in to work drunk and high, (there are many customer reviews corroborating this behavior). I witnessed supervisors making inappropriate comments to the girls that work with them, but wages are so low that they can't afford to fire neither the employees nor the supervisors as they will find no replacements. The General Manager and Operations Managers are both women who have no idea what they are doing, they have no processes for hiring, training and developing and worse firing an employee... Not sure how they got their jobs.

The company is so disorganized that at times employees do not get paid on time or get paid less than actual worked hours. When I left the company I could not obtain my W-2, they had lost it / misplaced it; I had to contact corporate offices in order to find it--delaying the declaration of my taxes.
Pros
You get to meet wonderful customers and provide great customer service among this chaos, fun enviroment with tourists.
Cons
No training, no possibility for advancement, 12 hour shifts or more, poor management, very low wages.
its was ok good job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC20 December 2018
its just management need more help with there work ..it was a stressful places to work at and it was a easy job to do I will never have none of my family or friend to apply at this job
Pros
nothing free
Cons
very short break
History and Fun combined on a double decker bus.
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC18 December 2018
Speaking to guests on a microphone, while a double decker is moving. There is a bus driver, so your concentration is focused more on the guests and your surroundings. Meeting new people from around the world. All types of cultures use the bus to see the sights of Washington, DC.
Pros
Friendly staff, guests, management.
Cons
Summers can be brutal due to the humidity and crowding of buses.
Great Culture and Colleague
Group Treasury Accountant (Former Employee) –  London, UK1 December 2018
Close knit team and fun to work with. Highly skilled colleague and approachable management. Job were delegated well and they;re happy to assist. Good reporting skills are a must.
Pros
Great team to work with
Cons
Management could be a bit more organised
Productive and fun work enviorment
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL28 November 2018
big bus was a wonderful company. They believe in all of their employees and your offered every opportunity to success. The management team and the instructors are the best. Their relatable and very knowledgeable.
avoid avoid avoid
tour guide (Former Employee) –  london24 November 2018
Busy in the summer out in the open freezing in the cold weather due to open top buses expected to sit upstairs even if its raining spies everywhere overloaded buses open to abuse from passengers verbally, drivers drive too slow at times complain all you want but you wont get anywhere no job security either management dont care at all in short avoid at all costs.
Pros
four free tickets a year for staff
Cons
long days rude people bad management
productive fun workplace with lots of incentives
Sales/Tour Guide, Sales and Related Workers (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC4 November 2018
The job at Big Bus was enjoyable, high energy, very competitive, and very profitable. I really enjoyed meeting new people everyday helping them and seeing them happy.,
Productive and target job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London28 October 2018
Sale of tours and attractions in London and outside.
Booking skills.
Work with people from all over the world.
Achieve target.
Cashing out.
Everyday i learnt something new and improved my sale skills.
Ehhh
Sightseeing Guide (Former Employee) –  New York, NY22 October 2018
It's a novel experience the first year then it becomes a bit redundant after a while. Still, it's nice to tour your own city and bring busloads of strangers along for the ride.
Pros
The views.
Cons
Working in all weather conditions.
Good work Experience
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Dubai5 October 2018
I have almost 21years work experience in United Arab Emirates
Last 2years I was working in Big Bus tours,their management and staffs are very helpful,and they provide good customer services too.
Long hours, below average pay for tour guides.
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  London19 September 2018
Conduct 3 guided bus tours a day, most of the time they take 3 hours, so very short breaks inbetween, just 20 minutes minimum on a bad day. A day can be as long as 11 hours.

Buses are old, the sound systems are in desperate need of replacing, which just adds to the stress. Tours have to be conducted through an earphone system, rather than over a PA system, so you can't conduct your tours in a fully interactive way. You're more like a live recorded tour, as you can't greet people coming on board, or leaving the bus as they're not listening in on the earphones. People talk over you very loudly, it's frustrating.

Management refuse to listen to staff, so issues are ignored and if they are brought up, usually leads to threats of dismissal. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians comes to mind, management prefer to bury their heads in the sand when it comes to customer complaints. Tour guides have to bear the brunt there. Promise of bonuses, but they never deliver.

Work colleagues are great, but not much chance to socialise outside of work hours, due to the shift patterns. No sensible shift patterns; late shift, followed by the first shift of the day. That's a 9pm end followed by a 8am start.
Pros
Riding on buses all day
Cons
Carrot and stick attitude of management
paying your dues
Tour Guide (Current Employee) –  New York, NY24 July 2018
you have to work hard to become a successful guide in NYC. Big Bus provides a platform where you will be placed in various situations where your skills will be put to the test. From following protocol rules and regulations by DCA & DOT, to providing information and customer service to your passengers. Big Bus is a good starting point to first experience the guiding field in NYC.
Enjoyable work envirement
Tour Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MD 2078118 July 2018
Very Enjoyable driving tourist around Washington and Virginia.I had the opportunity to meet people from all over the world. That nto me was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Amazing experiences in San Francisco
Driver/Driver Supervisor Trainee (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA1 July 2018
Fast paced, stressful, yet fun and rewarding place to work.Great Management.Friendly coworkers. Regular company events. ie:End of Year parties, promotional events, Birthday celebrations.
Pros
Great people to work with, Thoughtful management.
Cons
San Francisco Traffic Jams
Terrible place for students
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC28 May 2018
The management will assure you that they will be accommodating of your class schedule if you start towards the end of the semester and into the beginning of peak season. The money is great especially for students is much easier than working in food and doesn’t take much effort to learn all the routes. However anything you’re told when you Interview or attend orientation is not how the management operates. They will write you up and talk poorly of you for requesting days off or to leave early for exams or appointments or funerals, even if you do so weeks in advance. The management refused to approve time off for me to take my final exams. I ended up quitting, a process that was still a hassle for management to handle decently. Not only will they not accomodate time off they will ignore your scheduling requests even if it’s the same day and time restrictions from when you interviewed. I had to fill out several availibility form and send repeat email reminders as they continued to schedule me on days that I said I was unavailable. Overall the job itself is simple and fun at time but, poor management makes it a pain to even show up to work on a daily basis.
Pros
Learn about the city, meet new people, decent pay and tips
Cons
Management, lack of professionalism
Lack of transparency and low pay.
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Miami, FL25 May 2018
The cost of living is high and the pay is extremely low. You don't make a livable wage working there. Working under extreme heat and other adverse conditions you attempt to give an informative and fun tour.
Friendly working invornment
Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV2 May 2018
I come to work with a smile on my face every morning because I love the the energy that is givin with in the job. My co workers are like family to me, we all get along well.
Pros
Productive work inviornment
Cons
My pay checks fluctuate a lot due to my commission
steady work enviroment
Customer Services Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NY8 April 2018
• Assisted customers with questions about City Excursions and Attractions
• Organized paperwork and office supplies
• Managed inventory
the company has favoritism policy
Pros
steady
Cons
management
Poor management
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV26 March 2018
Managers didnt know what they were doing . Buses break down multiple times a week . Comission was too low for the numbers that they wanted us to put up .
Team Atomsphere,
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NY12 March 2018
An ideal atmosphere for those quick on their feet and good with their knowledge of all History. You don't have to, but it helps to have a customer service background since you meet and deal with so many people from all over the world on a daily basis.
Pros
Travel all around nyc and see landmarks all day, meet people from all over the world
Cons
short breaks, communication breakdowns

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Big Bus Tours. Our community is ready to answer.