BIG W
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

BIG W Employee Reviews

Australia779 reviews
As a casual Fill working at the big W in Emerald it was pretty good got paid well my personal experience with Managers and Bosses was not all that great but the whole vide with working there was amazing
work place culture was very stressful with lack of friendliness in the staff and management. Alot of very negative people to work with who would do anything to try and get you fired so they could get more hours
Pros
nil
Cons
long hours at times
Good casual job, work over 40 hour weeks during events like easter, christmas and eofy. They cut hours, however and management definitely have favourites. Good for just out of school or sick of the 9-5 office job, if you want flexibility, Big W is great. You make great friends and get a good experience with customers. Good and bad. Great extra money. Understanding when you need leave or have to change availabilities.
Pros
Good hours, make friends, great experience.
Cons
Management have favourites, some managers can’t handle stress and get cranky with everyone.
Le travail commence a 5H30 du matin avant l'ouverture du magasin nous somme charge de le nettoyer
This place has destroyed my soul.

Talk about feeling like an adult that has been taken back in time to high school with a bunch of gossiping bullies.

Talk about feeling like a prisoner serving time that is constantly being watched over cameras. On the floor and with timing your tea breaks. 15 mins to leave your work station, walk to the back of the store, go upstairs, toilet, supposedly still have time to make a cup of tea, supposedly drink that same tea and then head downstairs and back to your workstation.

Talk about feeling like a victim of mental abuse from the downright rude trouble making customers that you encounter each week.

You reach out to management only to find out later that they rewarded the customer for their bad behaviour towards their team member with a gift card and chocolates or some other suck up gift.

No reward for the team member who was the victim of the verbal attack.

There is no protection or support. (oh but wait... they will pretend to care if you make a little song and dance about the issue. They will even hand out a contact card for EAP services. Mainly to shut you up I presume. That or because it is written in the guidelines and done purely out of procedure) Because they truly only care about their customers at BIG W.

Sick of giving so much effort to this workplace for so little in return.

There is no rewards other than a discount team benefits card and being able to go home to a better life after your shift.

Save your soul - Look for a better place to work.
Pros
Team Benefits card and home time. Thank god I have a life outside of BIG W.
Cons
Gossiping, Bullying, Abuse from customers, Camera monitoring, Fight for annual leave, High stress, Difficult team members and management
Firstly the positives:
1. Big W was quite good when it came to the whole initiation and training part of the job. The training was manageable and did over what was needed.

2. Some of the fellow staff members were friendly and welcoming (defiantly not all).

3. The pay was good, not amazing but enough.

However, the cons about the job:

1. The biggest and one that made the biggest impact was the management. As everyone would know, management is an integral part to ones job. How someone is manage affects staff morale, the job itself and the motivation of getting up and going to work. When management fails at their job, its sends ripple effects throughout all levels of staff. This is what happened at Big W Capalaba. To be put simply, management was severely under qualified, untrained and overall not fit for their position. Some attributes associated with one particular manager (that is no longer there - and for good reason) is hypocritical, extremely unprofessional and intimating. You want your staff to feel comfortable around you so why are there individuals in management that are unapproachable, rude and intimidating. Touching on that, "practice what you preach" - do not tell staff to not do something then flat out do it yourself (hypocritical).

Lastly, the store manager. Yelling at 14yr old employees? I don't care if you are the prime minister or a store cleaner, not on! Control your anger or get out of your job.

2. Some of the staff are extremely condensing and rude. They have their own little groups and very segregated from the rest of the staff. Some of the middle-aged
 - more...
Pros
Training
Cons
Management and rude colleagues
I enjoyed my work placement there so much that I would like to be employed there. I learnt so much in my short space of time here. The team made me feel comfortable and helped when I needed it. I enjoyed getting up everyday and couldn't wait to get to Big W to do another day there. I am hoping when the covid19 calms down, that Big W could offer me to come and work with them, that would be great.
Pros
people are nice
Cons
not working there
I am friendly with customers service honestly meet news people's to customers been on Time get back to working to earn money I want to go for a holiday
Overall WOolworths Group is agood place to work with but working for Big W QA is a horrible expereince. My life turned upside down because of the managers tyrranical behaviour.
Pros
good place with benefits
Cons
Horrible QA boss
A Brilliant workplace with supportive and friendly staff who are very inviting to new comers like i was, There were alott of things i enjoyed about working there but the thing i enjoyed the most was being able to meet new people every single shift and seeing the regulars.
I wish get job in BIG w. I like to work any were in big-w I'm happy to work.
i have experience customer service,

shelved tidy refilled shelved, i enjoy to working team members they are very help full.
They Will not hire anyone if a disability

This job is best suited for school leavers or semi-retire person that need minimum hours needing flexible time. For other duties or study or after a few hours to earn some dollars. It works on a 4 hr shift each night, In house training.

My Favorite part about work there was meeting some of the most interesting customers.

My lest Favorite part about work there was the constant fighting. Not physically but it was close And the gossip and rumors. It was like high school and not a workplace.

Pros:

Staff discount

Prospect (only if you friend with Manager)

Cons:

Dishonest

Double Standard

Discrimination

Poor communication

No prospect
Big W is a great place to learn about retail, it is very accommodating for all new coming staff. The general staff are great and helpful. Over time the business has changed and the work place has become more challenging, there are few advancement opportunities and permanent employment has lessened.
Extremely Clicky culture with a focus on ensuring "Outsiders" bringing in new ideas and help with the "Turn Around" are isolated and ostracised. Long Term Team Members and Management spend far to much time together outside of work, formulating Personal Vendictive Agendas.
Pros
No Pros
Cons
Smalled Minded, Self Centered, Non Educated Management
your always learning and it gives you experience with a lot of sectors it can be a career or it will leads you to great opportunities and having Big W on resume looks great
I've been working here for 3 years and have had many different opportunities to work in different areas in the store. I also have recently been given the opportunity to work in the technology department.
All team members and managers are friendly easy to get along with and provide training needed to do the job. going to work is exciting and i am always keen to go
Great Management highly recommend working at big w, friendly staff and lots of opportunities to further your career. Customers are the main priority at Big w.
Pros
great team members
Good place to work, Enthusiastic and support team and management to work with. Fun work environment. Easy to learn the ways of the business and a really great team training you and providing feedback and tips.
stocking various amounts of stock ranging from toiletary, confectionary and media. unloading pallets and loading goods. basic cleaning tasks performed
It was great job and great team to work for .would love to get permanent work at big .manager and training staff were great .was safe and rewarding place to work ..................