BIG W Employee Reviews

Easy job
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD9 January 2019
Super easy to learn
Hours can be hard to get
Easy access to further training
Uniforms are a lot more comfortable now
Management can communicate
Can easily become difficult with understaffing
Pros
Team morale
Cons
Hours can be hard to get
Employers are very friendly you have fun working with them but not with management!
filling staff and a recovery staff (Former Employee) –  Auburn NSW 21448 January 2019
Big w is a great environmental place to work in, you will gane lots of experience in the retail, business industry, even in customer service. But disguise all that management at big w is not the greatest or even good enough For the position that they have. They treat the staff like animals, expect them to be a michine and when they can’t they get rid of them from every possible way.
Pros
Free lunch only on holidays
Cons
Long break time happens when you work fir 8-9 hours per day
I enjoyed working there but at times disorganised management and disorganised store .
Nightfill Associate (Former Employee) –  Ellenbrook WA4 January 2019
I enjoyed working there except for particular persons it was good to night fill for I lost weight and didnt have to go to a gym.Managements were changed a few times and also the night fill managers thank you and I wasn,t happy with the bullying in the work place.there wasnt really any job that was hard but been of old school i couldnt get my head around the telsons.
Pros
I tried not to get involved in this for to me it was a waste of time .
Cons
I enjoyed working the long hours .
Decent workplace for casual work while in school
RETAIL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Darwin NT27 December 2018
Did not provide much training and expected a lot early on. Very difficult to contact managers when needed and they did not accomodate concerns that were raised. Pay rate was very low for under 18yrs.
Pros
Discounts, fairly easy work
Cons
Low pay rate
Terrible place!!!!
fill associate (Former Employee) –  Mirrabooka WA15 December 2018
No room for growth in this company if you dont know the right people!!
I was employed for 4 years and had been lied to and lead to believe I was working towards a management role only for it to be given to someone less deserving!
Was treated horribly
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Campsie NSW13 December 2018
Review wise, it just was not a pleasent experience working there, really bad worker respect on my end, was spoken to rudely by the duty managers and was disrespected constantly.
Pros
Workers do get discounts
I wouldnt suggest you a make a career at this place!
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mandurah, AU11 December 2018
Most of the people there are amazing people but hierarchy make it a very hard place to work, from rule changes to high up management making rules up to suit themselves, family makes its way to work there before regular hard working people that apply for jobs! and its a purple circle place where if you suck up arses, you get treated amazingly with perks galore, if you just go there to work and be friendly, you get shat on! and life becomes very difficult to work there.
Pros
very little things like coffee in thelunch room! :/
Cons
long hours, manipulative people and bullying galore
fun workplace with great employees
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Joondalup WA9 December 2018
big w Joondalup is a massive clean store with awesome customer focus, i enjoyed working there for the amount of time i did, i would work there again thats for sure
The company is very knowledgeable and fashionable
Counter Hand (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD30 November 2018
As I used to work at big w it was great experience for me to indulge with customer and provide good service. Big w offered me lots of fun with staff and hours to work for myself.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Short shifts
Staff
Fill Associate (Current Employee) –  Altona Meadows VIC24 November 2018
The staff here at Big W - Altona meadows are all nice and caring as we all treat each other as team members. We all help each other to achieve the goal of BIG W which is helping customers with their product needs.
A good place to work and to learn new skills.
Customer Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Perth WA22 November 2018
It is a lot of customer service and often for me this is the best part of the job as it is good to chat with the different people. The workplace culture is generally helpful and friendly.
Pros
Different merchandise.
Cons
Care for staff
Great workplace and staff
Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC15 November 2018
Only completed work experience there but had a great experience and learnt a lot, also all of the staff were super friendly and were always there to help
its an okay place to work
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Perth WA3 November 2018
I was 15 and it was my first job didn't get paid great as people my age working at other places similar to big w were getting paid a lot more then i was things changed a lot but there is a lot nice people there
High stress working environment
Fill Associate (Current Employee) –  Sunshine VIC24 October 2018
A typical day at work starts off high paced and finishes high paced with little to no down time besides beaks. Can be a quite stressful environment to work in. Often chaotic which reduces productivity.
Pros
Staff card
Cons
High stress
Work Colleagues are the best part about the job
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mudgee NSW2 October 2018
There is very little career progression or development unless you are great friends with the manager.

The pay wouldnt be too bad - if you were to get consistent and decent hours.

There is little recognition for the work you do - you can work the same hours and harder than another person there and they will get just as much recognition for your work as you do

The work culture and the people there would have to be the best part about working here though the morale in the store is very low
Productive workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW30 September 2018
I learnt about customers, how to satisfy them, as well as working efficiently. The workplace is nice and friendly and the hardest part of the job is always working; there aren't many breaks, however they give good pay.
Pros
Good income
Cons
Always working, not many breaks
Friendly and helpful team
Recovery Associate (Former Employee) –  Craigieburn VIC28 September 2018
Working at Big W was a heap of fun. The night team that I worked with were really friendly and helpful and you could joke around to lighten the mood when it was really busy.
Waste of time
fill team (Former Employee) –  Richmond NSW26 September 2018
Went for an interview only to find out virtually straight up that the job is only for the Christmas period and after January I will no longer be required due to store budget etc.. advertising is vague and never mentions this! What a shame and total waste of my time and energy.
lovely place to work
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morwell VIC16 September 2018
I found it a great place to work but not impressed with a couple of the employees there. I did learn things and that's a good thing. I did enjoy meeting new people and feeling like I had found a good place to work for a long time.
Pros
being able to have something to occupy my time, and meeting new people
Short Hours
night filler (Former Employee) –  Morayfield QLD16 September 2018
This job is best suited for school leavers or someone looking to work minimum hours needing flexible time for other duties or study or after a few hours to earn some $$. It works on a 4hr shift each night. Across all departments. In house training. My most favourite part was learning planogramming.