BIG W Employee Reviews

Productive , fun place to work and room for progress
2IC Manager (Former Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD13 May 2019
A typical day at work was customer service, hands on, planning, maintaining stock levels and displays. Actioning urgent communications. Safety conscious, Ticketing , recover clean and tidy. Point of sale , ensuring all areas of the store are manned effectively at all times.
Assisting company representatives and contractors.
Cash handling , actioning reports, rostering and replacing shifts.
Opening and closing duties.
Actioning emails and remove /product recalls.
Overseeing all areas under my control.
Audit checks.
Everyone works as a team and assist others where needed.
Best part of the job was customer interaction, team engagement.
Achieving sales and budgets.
Worst part was travel distance to and from work.
Pros
working as a team and acheiving good results . Keeping customers and team happy.
Cons
travel distance to and from work
Productive and comfortable workplace
Night Fill Associate (Former Employee) –  Gympie QLD16 April 2019
I loved working with the Gympie Big W night fill team. Always had great team work and communication and the management was always helpful. I greatly appreciate the team and the time i had spent there. I would definitely recommend everything about that workplace.
Fun workplace and environment
Nightfill Associate (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC15 April 2019
Part-time job during my high school years, Big W placed great emphasis on quality customer service and punctuality. They offered flexible hours around my studies
Pros
Fleibility
Cons
Job security
Productive, easy work and friendly staff
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Majura ACT11 April 2019
A typical day at Big W would be, I start my shift and proceed to clean up the shelves and help customers if they requier assistance. What I learned at Big W was how to be more confident in talking to people and I feel I get more confident each shift. The management at Big W are really friendly and will always be there when I need help with something that is difficult. Workplace place culture at Big W is really diverse, i've worked with a lot of people from different ethnic backgrounds and everyone is friendly to each other. There isn't anyhting I find hard at Big W I am a outgoing person and I will always complete a task no matter the difficulty but the hardest part was when I first started and I didnt have a lot of confidence to talk to customers. The most enjoyable part of my job is the friends I have made and ther customers I have helped and knowing I've done something good by either selling them a item or just helping them in general.
Pros
Staff discounts
Cons
Not enough work
Mangers easy to get along with and understanding
Cashier/Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Casuarina NT3 April 2019
Working as a team, Christmas party, the kids slaes are all the products you see first and the goodies you can buy for your children, nieces and nephews, gifts for other family members
Pros
Saving money
Cons
Spending the money
Fun workplace and a supportive team
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Werribee VIC2 April 2019
This was my first official experience in the workplace as a an adult and after months of endless searching I was finally able to score a job and I'm glad my first experience was with Big W. I learned a lot there in terms of how to interact with customers, operating cash registers, maintaining and running a section of the store by myself for extended periods of time, recovery throughout the store, all valuable skills that will be incredibly useful for me in any future job I take up.
Productive workplace and diversity
Recovery/Checkout Associate(Casual) (Current Employee) –  Taree NSW31 March 2019
Customer Service, Appropriate Presentation of Assigned Section, Stock Management & Correct Stock Pricing, Cash Handling,other retail related duties as required.
Pros
Lunch Breaks
Cons
Not enough hours
Good job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Western Suburbs VIC23 March 2019
I was a gòod hard worker at big w and I had got good customer service skills, cash register, helping customers and greeting customers this job is a fast pace job
Great environment, not enough hours
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Penrith NSW22 March 2019
I worked for Big W for 3 months. It would have been longer, had I been offered more hours. After christmas, I went from 25-30hrs per week, to 4hrs per week. A big drop and I couldn't live on that. I have a family.
The management were friendly enough and tried to help out with shifts as best they could, but it was always upper management and head office that "had their hands tied" when it came to giving out more hours. The staff were a lot of fun to work with, but unless they were on a permenant part time contract, they were always whinging.
Pros
Awesome people to work with, easy job
Cons
Not enough hours
strict and not lenient
RETAIL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Echuca VIC20 March 2019
i worked there for 6 months and had some family issues and they fired me because i was 'unreliable and untrustworthy' they later bad mouthed me to a job that would have changed my life
productive but also quiet workplace
Big w sales assiatant (Current Employee) –  Dapto NSW18 March 2019
a day at work would involve standing at a desk and waiting for customers to arrive. I would always try and find something else to do that could help benefit my section or area of work. the most enjoyable part would have to be being a good environment with fellow employees
Very standard job for someone who just wants to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD15 March 2019
Can just clock in clock out, very standard not much in the way of career progression which is something that a person needs. They no longer care about staff only care about $$$
Not great
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Perth WA2 March 2019
The money is terrible and the managers are lacking in experience. Makes Big W miserable.

Lack of growth and ability to proceed into another field at big w
You have to really like customer service to work here
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW2 March 2019
Assisting customers with their day to day shopping can be both very fulfilling, and also stressful for people who arent build for conflict handling.
The teams working at Big-W can be pretty fluid, with a lot of management and staff turnover.
The hardest part of this job is definitely trying to compromise with customers when their request are unreaosnable
Excellent
TEAM MEMBER (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW24 February 2019
We had a very friendly staff and everyone was just great from the get go. They made sure anytime you worked well, they would compliment your work and make sure you were always in good spirits .
Good place to work.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Plumpton NSW13 February 2019
Big W Plumpton has a great team of managers and staff, working there is made easier by the understanding nature of the management team. A typical day at Big W is filled with having one on ones with customers, filling stock on shelves, keeping the store clean and well presented. Management and other staff members are very welcoming which makes working alongside them every day an enjoyable experience.
Cons
limited hours
good workplace
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Plumpton NSW12 February 2019
i have enjoyed working here for the past year or so, the manger is great and so are the people i work with. the hours have been flexible too as i have been working casually.
Good Workplace
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Greenhills NSW11 February 2019
Great workplace environment, friendly staff and management that are easy to get along with.

Was trained properly so I am able to do my job effectively.
Cons
Not enough working hours
fun interaction with customers and a great team of committed workers
Recovery Associate (Former Employee) –  Dapto NSW7 February 2019
Working at big w has been a pleasure my team provided me with the tools and skills to ensure i was maximising our customers needs and priorities.

i have learnt how attend to our customers needs and meeting those needs through customer service e.g lay by return exchange, registers and other enquires

Management staff were very helpful and i felt comfortable when had any concerns with rosters or customer enquires which were rare as i'm a quick learner

Friendly enviroment full of staff who were non judgmental and team morale was important to all. regular meeting occured with companies progress

Hardest part of the job would be not having the stock avaliable to the customers needs.

Enoyable part of the job is satifying the customers needs and enquires
Pros
Working in a structured organisation
Cons
Inconsistant work patterns and rosters
Don't like Big W all that much
Checkouts (Former Employee) –  Griffith NSW6 February 2019
Not at all happy with Management or anything else at Big W
I have stress related illness & injury
They could offer to pay me double & I would never work there again.
The hardest part of my job was dealing with a bully & Management & the Union did absolutely Nothing for me!!
Pros
It was a job
Cons
They paid me