BIG W Employee Reviews

strict and not lenient
RETAIL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Echuca VIC20 March 2019
i worked there for 6 months and had some family issues and they fired me because i was 'unreliable and untrustworthy' they later bad mouthed me to a job that would have changed my life
productive but also quiet workplace
Big w sales assiatant (Current Employee) –  Dapto NSW18 March 2019
a day at work would involve standing at a desk and waiting for customers to arrive. I would always try and find something else to do that could help benefit my section or area of work. the most enjoyable part would have to be being a good environment with fellow employees
Very standard job for someone who just wants to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD15 March 2019
Can just clock in clock out, very standard not much in the way of career progression which is something that a person needs. They no longer care about staff only care about $$$
Not great
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Perth WA2 March 2019
The money is terrible and the managers are lacking in experience. Makes Big W miserable.

Lack of growth and ability to proceed into another field at big w
You have to really like customer service to work here
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW2 March 2019
Assisting customers with their day to day shopping can be both very fulfilling, and also stressful for people who arent build for conflict handling.
The teams working at Big-W can be pretty fluid, with a lot of management and staff turnover.
The hardest part of this job is definitely trying to compromise with customers when their request are unreaosnable
Excellent
TEAM MEMBER (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW24 February 2019
We had a very friendly staff and everyone was just great from the get go. They made sure anytime you worked well, they would compliment your work and make sure you were always in good spirits .
Good place to work.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Plumpton NSW13 February 2019
Big W Plumpton has a great team of managers and staff, working there is made easier by the understanding nature of the management team. A typical day at Big W is filled with having one on ones with customers, filling stock on shelves, keeping the store clean and well presented. Management and other staff members are very welcoming which makes working alongside them every day an enjoyable experience.
Cons
limited hours
good workplace
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Plumpton NSW12 February 2019
i have enjoyed working here for the past year or so, the manger is great and so are the people i work with. the hours have been flexible too as i have been working casually.
Good Workplace
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Greenhills NSW11 February 2019
Great workplace environment, friendly staff and management that are easy to get along with.

Was trained properly so I am able to do my job effectively.
Cons
Not enough working hours
fun interaction with customers and a great team of committed workers
Recovery Associate (Former Employee) –  Dapto NSW7 February 2019
Working at big w has been a pleasure my team provided me with the tools and skills to ensure i was maximising our customers needs and priorities.

i have learnt how attend to our customers needs and meeting those needs through customer service e.g lay by return exchange, registers and other enquires

Management staff were very helpful and i felt comfortable when had any concerns with rosters or customer enquires which were rare as i'm a quick learner

Friendly enviroment full of staff who were non judgmental and team morale was important to all. regular meeting occured with companies progress

Hardest part of the job would be not having the stock avaliable to the customers needs.

Enoyable part of the job is satifying the customers needs and enquires
Pros
Working in a structured organisation
Cons
Inconsistant work patterns and rosters

Want to know more about BIG W?

Ask a question
Don't like Big W all that much
Checkouts (Former Employee) –  Griffith NSW6 February 2019
Not at all happy with Management or anything else at Big W
I have stress related illness & injury
They could offer to pay me double & I would never work there again.
The hardest part of my job was dealing with a bully & Management & the Union did absolutely Nothing for me!!
Pros
It was a job
Cons
They paid me
Lonely role
Night Filler (Former Employee) –  Runaway Bay QLD6 February 2019
My main role was to stack products on shelves at night.

I enjoyed this job as it had given me the chance to use my creative skills in placing products the way I thought was effective.

I found the role lonely though as it was late at nights and you don't talk to anyone at all.
Pros
Discounts at shops
Cons
Late hours
Working as a valuable team member
Nightfill and Recovery Team Member (Former Employee) –  Gawler SA6 February 2019
In the 2 years experience I gained in retail I learnt about customer relations in accordance with company policies. I used my time efficiently, when not serving customers, to tidy and clean my designated area. Others shifts I worked on nightfill to move pallets around receiving dock area and then to the shop floor to be merchandised as needed, then tidied the area for next day trade, while working in a group situation.
Christmas Staff
Night Shift (Former Employee) –  Hervey Bay QLD5 February 2019
Worked there for only a few weeks during Christmas rush.
Was good experience to have under my belt, especially being so young.
Unfortunately due to new years and over staffed, they couldn't keep me on.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Couldn't keep me
Not an ideal work environment.
Front End Associate (Current Employee) –  Chermside QLD2 February 2019
For me, a typical day at work is very short. No where near enough hours to call a stable job. Management is very lax and always sides with the customers without hearing both sides of the story. They don't have much respect for their staff. The hardest part of this job is the fact that you know you've gone above and beyond to help out customers, but they show NO appreciation. Honestly, the most enjoyable part of the job is hearing the closing call made over the PA system with 5 minutes to go.
Pros
Gaining constant knowledge, seeing customers walk home happy
Cons
Always understaffed, management is very lacking
Great for Casual Employment, Not For Long Term
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  East Maitland NSW31 January 2019
I enjoyed working at Big W, however after falling pregnant I was not put on with the others despite working over time and taking additional shifts etc...
Fun work environment
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Katoomba NSW30 January 2019
Love to work in team keen as fexiable welling to start ASAP, fun caring person love work wit people happy person Lo e trying new things can start straight away
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Very interesting and always has something to do
Night Filler (Current Employee) –  Dapto NSW22 January 2019
Typical day is we have too much work to do for how many people we have on, and i think we have too much work to do, day staff doesn't clean up after themselves. Management is good.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Late nights
i work place that i call my family
Sales (Former Employee) –  Gympie QLD16 January 2019
working with big w was so much fun. it didn't feel like work most the time because everyone was your best friend and family to you. everyone got along, and everyone cared so much for everyone.
Pros
celebrating everyone birthdays
Cons
working 9-5
Fun working environment.
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Mulgrave VIC15 January 2019
Big w was a great experience, it was my first mark on the retail industry and I was able to learn many skills such as handling products, organizing products on shelving, I had the opportunity to work in after pay and most importantly customer service.
Pros
Shopping center
Cons
Not enough hours