BIG W Employee Reviews

Productive workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW30 September 2018
I learnt about customers, how to satisfy them, as well as working efficiently. The workplace is nice and friendly and the hardest part of the job is always working; there aren't many breaks, however they give good pay.
Pros
Good income
Cons
Always working, not many breaks
Friendly and helpful team
Recovery Associate (Former Employee) –  Craigieburn VIC28 September 2018
Working at Big W was a heap of fun. The night team that I worked with were really friendly and helpful and you could joke around to lighten the mood when it was really busy.
Waste of time
fill team (Former Employee) –  Richmond NSW26 September 2018
Went for an interview only to find out virtually straight up that the job is only for the Christmas period and after January I will no longer be required due to store budget etc.. advertising is vague and never mentions this! What a shame and total waste of my time and energy.
lovely place to work
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morwell VIC16 September 2018
I found it a great place to work but not impressed with a couple of the employees there. I did learn things and that's a good thing. I did enjoy meeting new people and feeling like I had found a good place to work for a long time.
Pros
being able to have something to occupy my time, and meeting new people
Short Hours
night filler (Former Employee) –  Morayfield QLD16 September 2018
This job is best suited for school leavers or someone looking to work minimum hours needing flexible time for other duties or study or after a few hours to earn some $$. It works on a 4hr shift each night. Across all departments. In house training. My most favourite part was learning planogramming.
Awesome workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Canning Vale WA8 September 2018
I was only with Big W for a few short months due to my daughter needing me. In that time I enjoyed working in the beauty department and helping customers.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Poor Management
Big W SCO Attendant
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gladstone QLD6 September 2018
I worked there from 18 for 5 years, I was never trained and wasn't advanced into other positions, managers are terrible and abusive, but co-workers are lovely and nice, everything else is terrible, no one could ever pay me enough to go back there. I advise to only work there if the money is worth your mental, emotional and physical pain and issues.
Pros
Co-workers and customers
Cons
Management, and no training or moving to other areas
nice and comfortable workplace
Recovery team member (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD31 August 2018
everything is organised

manager was a nice man

nice and comfortable workplace

the hardest part was to remember where the every single product locate
Management is corrupt
Nightfill Associate (Current Employee) –  Adelaide SA29 August 2018
Management is very corrupt. They only take care of themselves and family friends within the business. There are issues on a daily basis and everyone acts like children. No one works hard there.
Pros
Friends
Cons
At the beginning it was great, and now im having to sestch for another job as they are not very flexible. Been there 2 years and no sign of contract.
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Armadale WA26 August 2018
They ask what hours you cant work, and then roster you on for those hours. I have dropped and ran for nearly all call ins and yet I have been there for 2 years and no sign of a contract. I'm feeling angry. I am now having to look for another job. Big w says that are flexible and with families, they were good at first but now it is what they say goes since this one store has taken effect, or you dont get shifts.
Pros
10% staff card
Cons
Not flexible
productive and wonderful place to work
Lay-By, Customer Service, Floor, Photo Lab (Former Employee) –  Wangaratta VIC17 August 2018
in my time at big w I was able to be trained in almost every area of the store which was fantastic (always busy) and wonderful tool to use in customer service as I was able to sort the customers question's out with out transferring to many other staff members
Good
Nightfill Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingaroy QLD15 August 2018
Big w although is quite small, the working environment was as if working with a family. Strong team with mediocre management. The store could always be a lot neater but is adequate with reaources available.
great people i work with
Service supervisor (Former Employee) –  ACT14 August 2018
its been six and a half years since i have been there. but it was a great place to work for. management was great. got on well with everone. there are varity of department you can you in
Pros
great people i worked with
Cons
long days
Very Friendly , lovely people to work with
Changing Shelving Layouts
Packing Pallets and moving Pallets
Tickets Products
Counting Stock
Most Day were great had a wonderful team that i worked with
Pros
worked around my Family Situation at that time
Cons
late nights
Recovery/Night fill (Former Employee) –  Grafton NSW6 August 2018
learned how to do recovery and night fill, learned how to stock, hardest part was having to do recovery over and over, most enjoyable part, interacting with customers.
Productive Workplace, but not a friendly environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Armidale NSW30 July 2018
A typical day at work would include, managers walking around store making sure you are doing your job but also managers just talking to people not really working. I learned how to approach customers, make the store look presentable.
Pros
Flexible, Good first job as casual
Cons
Not friendly environment
Good place to work if youre going to school or studying.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Hervey bay27 July 2018
A genuine waste of time. I asked management several times if I could have a pay rise or have my contracted hours increased (I was contracted to do 9 hours a week & would get around $150), it was A good place 5o work whilst I was at school & studying, but once I finished school & needed more money to pay bills, the bosses just laughed at me every time I asked for either a pay rise or extra shifts.
Pros
Its a good place to work if you're at school
Cons
They dont increase your hours or pay once you finish school.
fun workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Broadmeadows VIC25 July 2018
was great working here but could improve the way they teach work experience students as the supervisors didn't provide enough supervision which lead to difficulties.
Pros
great attitudes (team)
Cons
need better supervisors to supervise new workers
fun workplace, good team, ill miss them
SERVICE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Eastern Suburbs VIC16 July 2018
Good hours, good team, good work. I learned a lot here and will miss it. I grew over my 5 years here and will never forget the people I met and skills I learned
Friendly team
Team Leader - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC16 July 2018
A great place to kick off a career in retail. A typical day at work would involve stock processing, merchandising and ticketing. If you put in the hard yards, rewards will come your way with advancement. Hour rate of pay is low, on the plus side they'll teach you everything you'll need to know to get the job done right. I was lucky enough to have a great store manager whose presence in the store was strong as he lead by example and provided straight forward direction.
Pros
Regular work, colleagues, opportunities
Cons
rate of pay, part time work, night work.