BIG W

BIG W

BIG W Employee Review

Micromanagement, lack of opportunities and poor training

The worst big company I have worked for, no interest in personal development or wellbeing. All internal jobs are kept for manager’s friends or their acquaintances. The career opportunities are almost none added with poor management and lack of training. Micromanagement and abusive behaviour are all over the place. Please don’t waste your time applying for any job there unless you are friends with the manager, otherwise you won’t get any shifts.

Pros

Cons

All you can think of

Same role

Start Career

Good place to start a career in retail but no long career paths offered, no progression planning unless your in the clique group. Good flexibility across shifts. Recognition seems to go to those that brown nose rather than those that work hard which makes me angry everytime it happens. For example I had spent hours cleaning and filling a particular area took photos and posted and nothing no responses. Another Team Member did same when I was away and received congratulations and gift voucher??
Same role

Wouldn’t recommend for students or people wanting a good work/life balance

Bad hours as a casual. Lots of gossip, everyone talked about everyone. Average pay, but it was decent with casual loading. Fill team member position was repetitive and boring after a couple months, genuinely made me feel depressed. Other positions in the store such as click and collect or party were a lot more fun, but no matter how many times I asked to be trained, they always forgot. Such a large store, became just a number, so they didn’t know who they were asking to work shifts. If you work with good people, it can be decent, but i didnt, so i didnt love my time at Big W. Store manager was awful, relied on everyone else and didn’t care too much for her casuals or part times. Only cared for people she had actually bonded with, but didn’t try to bond with newbies. Managers don’t understand school is a priority and often get mad when you’re unavailable due to school. Also get mad when Big W isn’t your first priority. Hard to move up the ranks, and hard to work in other areas of the store. Overall, decent pay and discounts, but annoying and rude managers, and repetitive unrewarding work.

Pros

Discounts, decent pay, good coworkers, can be chill

Cons

Inconsistent shifts, bad work/life balance as a student, bad management
Same location

Growing sales and reaping the rewards

With the support and encouragement of the Store Manager and Leadership team, in 6 months I have regenerated the Garden Centre bringing new customers to the store. Sales are growing along with customer relationships, and it is an absolute joy to come to work, despite the challenges of the current health pandemic and economic situation. It is a physically demanding job that suits me perfectly, even in our prevailing weather extremes. I care about presenting my products to our customers to facilitate that perfect match up and look forward to hearing feedback from them on their gardening journey. Working permanent part-time allows me to pursue my interests in Community gardening, and participate in online study and volunteering. Working at Big W in the Garden Centre has been a wonderful late-career change offering me a great life-work balance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BIG W. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare BIG W with

• BIG W
  • Micromanagement, lack of opportunities and poor training
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?