BIG W

BIG W Employee Reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

Toxic

A lot of bullying in-store and no actions taken for it. A lot of the more older team members that have also been there the longest seem to enjoy talking down to the younger team members and telling them what they can and can’t do just based off what they don’t like and not the store rules. I’ve been bullied for my appearance and my work. It’s a very gossip environment but not in a good way. When you first start, they throw you right into the deep end and expect you to know how to do absolutely everything even though you clearly weren’t shown or told how to do it and then they get annoyed at you for not knowing.

Great friendships and decent work

I had a great time working at big w, the managers can be horrible and customers too but good supervisors make all the difference. Overall it’s a decent place to work.

Excellent Staff and Decent Pay - Would Recommend.

Big W was awesome to work out, staff was great and the pay was decent for the work I did. Would recommend for younger members of the workforce. I miss working there.

No career opportunity

Poor management; no matter how good you are, they only give hours to the person whoever they like it even some of them are relate/friends/family and they are very lazy..

Pros

Salary ok

Cons

Less hours, unfair treatment

Micromanagement, lack of opportunities and poor training

The worst big company I have worked for, no interest in personal development or wellbeing. All internal jobs are kept for manager’s friends or their acquaintances. The career opportunities are almost none added with poor management and lack of training. Micromanagement and abusive behaviour are all over the place. Please don’t waste your time applying for any job there unless you are friends with the manager, otherwise you won’t get any shifts.

Pros

Cons

All you can think of

New manager is on a power trip

You cancel one day, they’ll cancel you 2 days. New management is childish and doesn’t know how to run the place. They’ll send you home and cancel you for the whole week if your kpi is slightly below average. But if you pump it you won’t get any recognition. Casuals are treated like garbage and always sent home early if an event is happening

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Management doesn’t know how to do their job

Bad

If you provide good customer service you won't be looked after at big W , customers are great unfortunately management push you and don't care when you bring something up.

Ok to work at

Just an ok place to work. Being friends with the right people helps. Being a lower end employer some of the people you may have to work with will be more rough around the edges and this is an adjustment.

Overall it is a good place to work with except in QA department

It was a stressful working especially with the team leader.If you are concern about your health and sanity you might not want to work for their QA and Compliance department

Culture steeped in policy & procedures, original thought not encouraged

Unfortunately a once family orientated company has descended into a toxic environment where everyone is miserable. They now promote very young 20 somethings to store management very quickly who have very little understanding of people, very little empathy, very little experience. If you’re a more mature age, been with the company for many years you’re treated as though you should be pensioned off. Wealth of experience in customer service means nothing. It’s a job for those who need one to get some experience, but don’t get stuck in the rut & move on to a more encouraging, inclusive workplace.

Pros

Some of the employees become good friends

Cons

Low morale, no job satisfaction

Chill place to work, does not get crazy like kmart can

The team and managers were very cool, not too much pressure to get things done. As long as the store was clean and customers found what they look for.

Pros

Slow most days, easy shift

Cons

Can get boring

It was okay

It's an okay place to work. Some of the staff are wonderfull but I guess it depends which store you work at. If you stay focused to the task at hand and perform your best you'll have a good experience.

Was a job for the sake of a job

Not going to pretend it's more than it was, was just a job for getting by, can be a career if you want if to but for the most part, a job for school leavers who want to go to uni

Lovely people and fun environment

I found that the people were all wonderful and the job was enjoyable, but the salary is minimum wage. You do get discounts at all Wow group stores and an extra discount once a month.

Brought in mandate for covid vaccine

After bringing in the covid vax mandate woolworths terminated 1000s of their employees, some had worked for 10+ years. I am disgusted by this especially after being employed for 11 years almost it just felt like a great big kick in the guts. And I am not the only person who has had to face this. The company does not care about you, do not waste your time going for a job with them.

Pros

Cons

They lie about everything.

I still miss it!

Working at big w was genuinely the best job I have ever had, I didn’t want to leave but needed more job security as I was only a casual, I had the best team and co workers and my manager became one of my closest friends. I miss it incredibly and wish I could of stayed,I worked on Night Fill and Online shopping and i enjoyed it thoroughly. I lost 15kgs just working here!

Pros

Free breakfast bar/snack table, Good people

Cons

very tiring, not appreciated enough

Good retail experience terrible management

Great retail experience. If you never done it it's a good place to start. You can easily pick up hours from other calling in sick all the time. Staff are always will to help and teach each other.Management will never notice or acknowledge your hard work. They tend to not like casuals and favourite part timers. They also like to give you boring jobs they are ment to do as a manager because they rather do more interesting jobs. The company doesn't give out contracts even after working hard for 3 years at full time hours. Because the company as a whole isn't stable and they are scared having to pay people out and make them redundant.

Pros

Good retail experience. Staff are fun and friendly.

Cons

Management tend to be very ageist. Next to no training get used to learning on the fly.

Simple

Easy job, pretty boring. It's the same thing day in and day out, not to much variety just stacking shelves then moving on to the next one and repeating.

It’s okay if you don’t have aspirations for a fulfilling job

If your role is a customer service champion or you work weekends when it’s busy it can be fun and you get into a flow state, but when you go full time and do the daily grind of merchandising, printing tickets, serving customers at the checkouts, helping them look for items - it gets mind numbing.When toy sale and Christmas hits though, it’s among the most stressful experiences both from management who need to get as much work done as possible with limited staff and customer impatience.

Pros

Long lunch breaks

Cons

Sometimes you can be micro managed

Great experience

I was hired during Xmas. There were a lot of hours then, but expect to work very little to no hours after Xmas. I was hired as a casual fill team member. When you're employed, they tell you to expect to work in different positions. I've worked in 6 different positions while working here.In my experience, the people I've met while working here are kind and are willing to help if you ask, including managers. However, at times, I have had to figure things out on my own since managers are constantly busy. Regardless, the team here is great!I don't really have anything bad to say. You will probably cry once working opening hours during Xmas, especially at this location since this Big W is huge. Other than that, working here is enjoyable :)

Pros

Great team

Cons

3 hour weeks from time to time

would not recommend

bad place to workstaff are mean and unfriendlycatty behaviourno room for growth within companyhours cut regularlywouldnt recommend for anyone to workhere

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BIG W. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare BIG W with