BIG W

BIG W Employee Reviews

Australia848 reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

Good retail experience terrible management

Great retail experience. If you never done it it's a good place to start. You can easily pick up hours from other calling in sick all the time. Staff are always will to help and teach each other.Management will never notice or acknowledge your hard work. They tend to not like casuals and favourite part timers. They also like to give you boring jobs they are ment to do as a manager because they rather do more interesting jobs. The company doesn't give out contracts even after working hard for 3 years at full time hours. Because the company as a whole isn't stable and they are scared having to pay people out and make them redundant.

Pros

Good retail experience. Staff are fun and friendly.

Cons

Management tend to be very ageist. Next to no training get used to learning on the fly.

Simple

Easy job, pretty boring. It's the same thing day in and day out, not to much variety just stacking shelves then moving on to the next one and repeating.

It’s okay if you don’t have aspirations for a fulfilling job

If your role is a customer service champion or you work weekends when it’s busy it can be fun and you get into a flow state, but when you go full time and do the daily grind of merchandising, printing tickets, serving customers at the checkouts, helping them look for items - it gets mind numbing.When toy sale and Christmas hits though, it’s among the most stressful experiences both from management who need to get as much work done as possible with limited staff and customer impatience.

Pros

Long lunch breaks

Cons

Sometimes you can be micro managed

Great experience

I was hired during Xmas. There were a lot of hours then, but expect to work very little to no hours after Xmas. I was hired as a casual fill team member. When you're employed, they tell you to expect to work in different positions. I've worked in 6 different positions while working here.In my experience, the people I've met while working here are kind and are willing to help if you ask, including managers. However, at times, I have had to figure things out on my own since managers are constantly busy. Regardless, the team here is great!I don't really have anything bad to say. You will probably cry once working opening hours during Xmas, especially at this location since this Big W is huge. Other than that, working here is enjoyable :)

Pros

Great team

Cons

3 hour weeks from time to time

would not recommend

bad place to workstaff are mean and unfriendlycatty behaviourno room for growth within companyhours cut regularlywouldnt recommend for anyone to workhere

Great experience, but maybe work-life balance might be a struggle

Really supportive co-workers and management. However, need to give availability very early as they roster few weeks prior. This might affect a person's work-life balance.

Great Casual Employment

I’m not sure if this is the experience for salaried workers, but I really love this job. The management staff are all kind and caring, and do a great job of keeping everything going smoothly. I can definitely approach wanting more or less hours. Have worked there for more than a year now and expect to stay a long time

Pros

Always rewarding staff with lunches, chocolates, activites

Cons

Hard to present ideas to management and have any changes

Easy going workplace

Great place to work with really good co workers. The job is enjoyable majority of the time. Sometimes you may deal with a few situation from customers that may put you off, besides that staff and management a really supportive.

lots of hours and great team.

Very friendly team, very welcoming and helpful, mangers seemed very judgemental they were still nice, but always felt if they were judging me a lot!..

Pros

Cons

bad communication

Unorganised and a clique environment

My first shift, nobody knew what I was doing. There was a lack of organization and poor management. The environment also felt very toxic and cliquey, it felt as though others would talk behind your back. Some people were really nice and helpful, however I felt like I turned up to my shift and was just chucked with whoever without any proper training

Pros

Salary

Cons

Poor management and organization

Stressful, under staffed

To many work changes for the worst.Head office make some very poor decisions. No uniform policy. Customers are confused if you work there. Under staffed.

Pros

Friendly staff to work with.

Cons

Under paid. Customers getting more demanding and entitled.

Good workplace very organised and good pay

I loved it everyone was so cute I love you too dad I love it you guys have to get it cut up here and I’ll get you some more fun and then we’ll go back

Pros

I love dad free food good pay abs great customers

Cons

Long dads poor pay bad customers and grease

Boring and poor management

Poor management you don’t get hardly any training just a 10 minute run though there is never any support and your expected to be available 24/7 otherwise you don’t get shifts

Fun workplace - lovely crew

Overall I loved working for Bigw, it was fun I enjoyed helping customers. Team member were really lovely, although I would have liked being trained in all areas of the business. Their wasn’t much fairness when it came to training and hours. Some people were trained more then others and some hadn’t way more hours.

Pros

Great crew, work life’s balance

Cons

short hours no training

Great team and flexable, lots of fun and always super busy. Challenging and rewarding. Pay is fair and there is room to build your skill set in the future

Great place for casual work as a student

I do fill at big w, the work is relax and casual. Management is good and are friendly towards staff, hours are flexible to your schedule if you are a casual.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Heavy Lifting

Horrible and very disrespectful.

Teased, discrimination, are the 2 big factors of big w. It's like being at school again and its not a very welcoming place to work. Management a joke.

Pros

Is none

Cons

Disrespectful

Secure job in these insecure times

Fast paced work, never a dull moment. One of the few jobs that was not impacted employment wise by Cov-id 19. Must enjoy working with the public, both good and bad customer. Must have a thick skin to insults.

Can be fun but management was very bad

Can be a fun place to work but managers didn't really care much about your outside life or commitments. Sometimes you'll be overworked, some days you'll get no shifts. Very inconsistent but some employees were good.

Good opportunity if you’re keen to work

As a +60 year old I was made redundant from a 30 year career. Getting the job at Big W was my saving grace. As a casual the pay isn’t great, BUT it helps me mentally - I can’t retire this early anyway! I would like to thank them for giving older workers a go 🙏🏻

People are a commodity

Not a great place to work, management fight each other for resources (workers) and don't work together as a team. They all have their own agenda and look to tear each other down at any opportunity.

Pros

Employee discount for the Woolworths Group

Cons

Inconsistent hours, poorly managed stores.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BIG W. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• BIG W
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?