BIG W

BIG W Employee Reviews in Canberra ACT

Canberra ACT16 reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

Good company

We went through to many managers and Every one promised to get me into a department but never did and they were always short staffed and that made it hard when trying to get help for customers as no one would show.

Pros

Family friedly hours

Cons

Not enough hours

Productive and fun workplace

Had a good culture and with a friendly team. I learnt how to think critically, improve my customer service skills and improve my time management skills. Very flexible with university schedule.

They made me sad

They made me sad they don’t ring me for shifts and still waiting for my new manager to ring me how sad how they made me feel like am nothing because I have Depression and went to casual and work weekends but no one is rung me from work to check on me to see if I’m okay not very good support system and still waiting for them to ring me to give me a shift so my eight years of working at big W and not one person has rung and checked on Me to see if I can do a shift just shows that I’m not very good at

great people i work with

its been six and a half years since i have been there. but it was a great place to work for. management was great. got on well with everone. there are varity of department you can you in

Pros

great people i worked with

Cons

long days

Productive work place.

It was fun to work at BIG W.I enjoyed the hours I worked and the team environment there . The reliable hours were a bonus as well . Was easy to get bus there.

Pros

Nice sized lunch room.

Cons

Long hours.

Good casual money, but unstable unplanned work times

It was great experience, but the workload and time was rather random. They usually call you and expect you to come in in an hour or two for the night, so this makes it difficult to plan ahead anything.

Fun environment

Big W was a great job where I ran the cosmetics department. I did everything in that area. Including stock replenishment, sick management, stocktakes weekly, merchandising, planograms, loss prevention, customer service and guidance with make up. The management changed there a lot though and that wasn't great, but the staff, supervisors and the environment were great.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Low pay

Culture friendly workplace with lots of support from team members

Big W is a fun place to work only when you have friends working aside with you. The only downside of Big W is that they are notorious for hiring one of the worst management staffs ever. These happens rarely but after a while these war mongers leave and get replaced with better proactive and friendly managers. Overall, it's a great place to work.

Higher Management Dont really care.

It used to be a good company to work for. But now they are always doing a restructure every few months to get rid of people that they don't like anymore. If you are a lower level staff member you are ok ish. Overall it is an ok place to work, but i would not send my child to work there.

Pros

Easy job, make friends, fun sometimes.

Cons

Long Hours, No job security if they dont like you, willing to screw people over, give you no option other than to quit

not too bad company but enjoy working with some people.

work was awesome at Big W. though some people i did not enjoy seeing due to how they treat me, because of how i look, the way they think about my work , even though they do not know me. i enjoy working with some people there who are mainly there for work and friendship. some people go to work to gossip and talk but that distracts me.

Fun and Safe work environment

I only worked for Big W for a short period of time but the time i was there was fun and and very productive. My coworkers were very friendly and made going to work all the more fun and enjoyable.

Big W is very reputable organization and working with this organization is very good experience but due to very low budget for employees there are low number of shifts.

Pros

Break, free coffee and many things are free

Cons

Small Shifts

Friendly team atmostphere

Typical day at work included, re-floating drawers, counting the safe, dealing with any staff issues that may arise, fixing any rostering conflicts. I learned a lot about data entry, how to do math quickly in my head, upgraded my organisational skills, how to solve difficult problems in regards to staff issues. Management were very supportive while I was learning this position and very patient as well, understanding that mistakes will happen and that I will learn from them. Co-workers were friendly and mostly positive and understanding, willing to help out if we needed staff quickly to fill a position. Hardest part of the job was, explaining to people that their shifts had been cut due to budget restrictions and making quick decisions that best benefited everyone. The most enjoyable part of the job, there was something new to learn every day, some new problem would arise that needed to be dealt with and that was fun to figure out and fix.

I rather enjoyed working at Big W, it was fun for me and I had no problems with anyone

productive

It was a good company, they had a lot of great products and i got great hours and a great pay.

Fun work place

There is no job that I cannot do. A good place to work, my co-workers welcomed me and guided me into the team and we blended well even if we are from different parts of the world. The working environment as well as the job itself is very easy to handle and even better because we were guided with planograms which we have to follow when replenishing items in the show. Over-all the job was easy. My only concern is the stability and consistency of the roster. Since I am a casual staff, there are unproductive days. This is one reason why I am seeking for another job. I want my time to be productive. It is very satisfying that you were able to serve people and at the same time earning.

Cons

No consistency in the roster

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BIG W. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Learn about BIG W in Canberra ACT

• BIG W
  • Canberra ACT
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?