BIG W

BIG W Employee Reviews in Perth WA

Perth WA22 reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

Would not recommend

No room for growth within companyOlder people are mean and cattyAs a casual shifts are super inconsistent, can work 45 hours one week and 0 the next

Pros

Pay and penalty rates are good Good people

would not recommend

bad place to workstaff are mean and unfriendlycatty behaviourno room for growth within companyhours cut regularlywouldnt recommend for anyone to workhere

Easy going workplace

Great place to work with really good co workers. The job is enjoyable majority of the time. Sometimes you may deal with a few situation from customers that may put you off, besides that staff and management a really supportive.

worst place i have ever worked

i hated working here. management and co workers were cliquey and judgemental, as well as old and just plain rude. my shifts would often be cancelled due to budget reasons a couple hours before my shift. also the lack of uniform was so frustrating due to strict uniform policy, so personally i hated having to choose my own outfit .

Pros

good pay

Cons

long shifts and often shifts were cancelled last minute

All bad at big w

This place has destroyed my soul. Talk about feeling like an adult that has been taken back in time to high school with a bunch of gossiping bullies. Talk about feeling like a prisoner serving time that is constantly being watched over cameras. On the floor and with timing your tea breaks. 15 mins to leave your work station, walk to the back of the store, go upstairs, toilet, supposedly still have time to make a cup of tea, supposedly drink that same tea and then head downstairs and back to your workstation. Talk about feeling like a victim of mental abuse from the downright rude trouble making customers that you encounter each week. You reach out to management only to find out later that they rewarded the customer for their bad behaviour towards their team member with a gift card and chocolates or some other suck up gift. No reward for the team member who was the victim of the verbal attack. There is no protection or support. (oh but wait... they will pretend to care if you make a little song and dance about the issue. They will even hand out a contact card for EAP services. Mainly to shut you up I presume. That or because it is written in the guidelines and done purely out of procedure) Because they truly only care about their customers at BIG W. Sick of giving so much effort to this workplace for so little in return. There is no rewards other than a discount team benefits card and being able to go home to a better life after your shift. Save your soul - Look for a better place to work.

Pros

Team Benefits card and home time. Thank god I have a life outside of BIG W.

Cons

Gossiping, Bullying, Abuse from customers, Camera monitoring, Fight for annual leave, High stress, Difficult team members and management

Productive and fun workplace, also good company.

Big W is a fun and enthusiastic place and a great company to work with. It's also a relaxed calm place for employees to work. Big W is one of the biggest retail stores to work in because the employees are nice and you also get to learn new things.

productive and relaxed

Fun and relaxed work environment. Not too rushed about here work and take pride in it. Always trying to help the customers out if in need. Teaches you new skills.

Big issues at big w

The older staff are the worst for picking on other team members at the store I work at. Not a day goes by without some kind of workplace drama. I feel like I am back at school with children that don't know how to respect others. Instead childishly picking on another team member that they have taken a dislike too for whatever reason. Over the years I have watched other team members be broken down by certain staff over time. Some have gone on stress leave to never return thereafter. And in the end are so much happier for having left. Others have willingly cut their own hours to give up certain shifts in an effort to escape from having to be working with a certain staff member that is causing them stress. I personally have felt so down after my shifts each week. And, have sadly broken down in tears from the treatment of other staff at my store. As well as the stress of my role. Something needs to be done to address this behavioural issues amongst certain staff. But, it won't. They have been there for years. So, it feels like they have an entitlement. Management doesn't appear to care at the best of times. And is often 'buddy like' with some bullies. Speaking to management about such concerns feels like a waste of time. You know you will be spoken about to others for speaking up. (Confidentiality has gone out the door) And, nothing good will ever come from it. We have so much training for customer service and safety in the workplace etc When I think we truly need to incorporate training on how to treat other team members. Big W has brought me headaches and -

Pros

Discount card

Cons

Very Stressful and often understaffed during my shift.

Not great

The money is terrible and the managers are lacking in experience. Makes Big W miserable. Lack of growth and ability to proceed into another field at big w

A good place to work and to learn new skills.

It is a lot of customer service and often for me this is the best part of the job as it is good to chat with the different people. The workplace culture is generally helpful and friendly.

Pros

Different merchandise.

Cons

Care for staff

its an okay place to work

I was 15 and it was my first job didn't get paid great as people my age working at other places similar to big w were getting paid a lot more then i was things changed a lot but there is a lot nice people there

Fun and enjoyable working environment

A typical day at work involves balancing and counting all the tills in the store, organising breaks for the staff, completing paperwork and dealing with customer complaints. I've learnt how to deal with difficult customers, conflict resolution between staff, liaising with management as well as using different systems and programs in the workplace. Working alongside management helped develop my interpersonal skills and task management. I learnt how to better my time management and delegate to staff. There is always a positive workplace culture especially within the staff. We are friendly and happy when working with each other and have a lot of fun when working with our friends. The hardest part of the job is dealing with angry and aggressive customers when they want a refund, especially if they are rude. We have to maintain a calm and composed exterior which can be hard sometimes. But the most enjoyable part is working with friends. We have fun at work while still doing our jobs providing excellent customer service.

Pros

Free morning tea

Cons

Trading until 9pm during the week.

overall bad

activities: customer service stock take and stocking shelves store recovery cleaning the store delivery organisation Personnel review; the store was in an organised work environment. some co workers demonstrated acts of racism and discrimination against others in the workplace breaching contracts. I personally was involved and immediately left

Pros

non

Cons

refer to review

Comfortable and great work environment.

I really enjoy working at Big W. There is a comfortable work environment and we all get along really well. As a service supervisor, management really trusts me and lets me have my own way of running the front end of the store. Managers are all hard working and helpful and my front end coworkers are all great.

Productive and fun workplace

Working in a retail environment have enhanced my communication and interaction skills with customers. Moreover, it also improved my skills in dealing with problems and issues that is often faced in customer service. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping the customers.

Pros

Productive workplace

Cons

Great place to work, no room for career advancement.

Working for Big W had overall been a good experience, however, management is always trying to look for ways to save money so they can get their bonus. I have been a casual at my story for the past 3 years and war promised a more permanent position after my first year which I am still waiting for. There are also numerous employees that have since left the company still on the payroll making it seem like we have more staff than we actually do, meaning that more work is generally expected of us. Negatives aside, co-workers are friendly and willing to help out and the management is easy to talk to.

Pros

Occasional free work lunches/dinners, friendly co-workers, relaxed working environment

Cons

Nosy co-workers, not enough hours, under staffed, measly 5% staff discount compared to other companies.

Productive working place with friendly staff

The crew at Big W are friendly, welcoming and eager to please. Although workplace environments can be a little overwhelming at times, they get the job done with amazing service every time. Highly involved management who think souly about the well being or all staff and providing quality service to all customers. Easy tasks and enjoyable environment. Overall no major faults.

Pros

Friendly Staff

Cons

Either too long or too short hours

busy workplace

Helping a customer everyday. I learned how to adjust on time specially when needed. Managing to help all the customers, when they on rush. My co-workers are sometimes furious, but most of the time they're friendly. The hardest part of the job, has to be the sale. When a lot of people need assistant and sometimes your the only one who can help. The most enjoyable is part of the job is clearing all the shelves.

Pros

Free Tea

Cons

Long hours of work

Overall good to work for

Out going staff that are friendly and happy to show you how to do your job. Ask and you will be shown. Have to pick up after public eg- fold shirts,pick up shoes off floor (some watch you then make mess) put product back on shelves where they belong.

Pros

Night Work

Room to improve but cool

Management in some areas could have been more supportive and encouraging. It was a good atmosphere and the employees were well respected people who have a lot of potential. Some preferred to socialise more than needed, but got the job done. Service was easy and good for organised people to operate.

rewards for worker of the month

I enjoyed helping people with there questions and assistance with anything they needed while I was working there it increased my confidence in communicating effectively.

Pros

great manager

Cons

Rude customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BIG W. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• BIG W