BIG W

BIG W Employee Reviews in Toowoomba QLD

Toowoomba QLD10 reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

Good workplace, enjoyed it alot!

I had a fantastic time at BigW Toowoomba and I wish i could have stayed, the colleague's were fun to work alongside and have some menorable moments in this store.

Pros

Great people, patient whilst learning

Cons

Management not clear enough sometimes.

Fine work, no hours.

The work itself was pretty standard retail, cashier/door greeter. First couple weeks were solid, but suddenly dropped straight down to 1 shift a week and despite my best efforts to gain more, they couldn’t offer me any more. Management were nice, a lot of the staff didn’t try to get along or get to know you. No one said goodbye when I left, except for when I went up and said goodbye. Obviously discounts are a plus, that’s about it. Just be wary, good temporary job - nothing more.

Pros

Work/Lunch Parties.

Cons

No hours, staff don’t want to really know you.

Productive and nice place to work

Good place to work, learned many things like following the every day schedules to be done, culture of the place is good. People from management to co employees are very cooperative and helpful. Hardest part of the job is coming out of the company.

productive and fun workplace

Through my career at Big W I have been able to learn what it is like to have a career and strive for personal and work related goals, while ensuring that I am delivering the highest levels of customer service, in an efficient and safe environment. Big W is centred around customer satisfaction; so ensuring customers enjoyed their experience with us meant that it was up to workers like myself to not only warmly greet and farewell each and every customer but tend to their individual needs through ensuring that all stock is merchandised and presented correctly according to company standards. While working at Big W my skills in customer service and care were heightened to new levels as I took pride in making every customer interaction a great one.

Pros

Friendly co workers and management

Cons

Not enough hours

Great work environment, but not many opportunities for career advancement.

The workplace culture was enjoyable to be a part of, and the management was willing to be understanding, but I can't see it being much more than a first job to most people. Inconsistent hours and minimal career opportunities don't make it feel like much of a long-term investment.

Pros

Lighthearted workplace culture.

Cons

Inconsistant work hours, minimal career advancement.

Good employee benefits and salary but no job security

Union looks after employees well with salaries and rights. But very poor job security and management are assigned on popularity not merit. Upper management make poor decisions and twist your arm into voluntary resignations to avoid redundancy packages. Make sure you are part of the union if you want to work there. Little/no job security.

Pros

Salary not bad if full time.

Cons

Very little team reward, excessive work load, poor managers

Good stating job

I was working as a basic Nightfill Replenishment Associate for approximtely two weeks before being asked to work on the dock. From there, they kept me out the back, gave me more hours and more responsibility. I was taught how to operate the pedestrian forklift, which in turn meant I was able to run the dock on weekends when required. Most weeks I worked 5 days, sometimes 6 if they needed a cover on the weekend. I resigned after 7 months due to still only being an on-call associate, and receiving a call each afternoon 30minutes before a shift

Pros

Was trained in retail and used this as a stepping stone

Cons

Refusal to place me on roster despite asking me to work 5+ days a week

Productive and a fun work place

A typical day at work for me- Would either consist of processing, which is out the back and putting new stock coming into the store on racks or recovery, which is getting an area, going through it and making sure everything is off the ground, nice and neat and nothing has spilled during the day. What I have learned from this job- Is how to properly use store equipment such as registers, symbols, phones. How to take phone calls, put up tickets in the areas. My communication skills have improved also working at this job. My management- While being at Big W has been great! They are very supportive and are willing to listen and ensure a safe workplace is upheld. I feel like I can go to my manager for anything that I may need. My co-wokers- I was lucky enough to be put in a workplace that I have gained great friends from, they are all so lovely and I get on with every single one of them, even though it is a work environment we always find a way to laugh and cheer each other up if needed. The hardest part of my job- I am lucky enough to understand pretty much everything in my job as I've had it for two years, my managers have been great in teaching everything clearly. The most enjoyable part of my job- Helping the customers successfully and working with some of my now best friends!

Pros

Tv in the lunch room!

Cons

N/a

Enjoyable place to work.

With layby: enter customers details in computer if not already stored. Print out dockets with a list of items the customer wishes to layby. Accept their deposits and payments. Store the parcels in correct bays making sure tickets on parcels and bays match to make it easier to track the parcels when layby is finalised. Learnt cash handling and end of day tallies. credit card and eftpos payments. Management were good to get along with. Co workers were great. Nightfill: Unloading pallets. Filling stock on shelves. regarding consumable products, the older dated ones were brought forward in front of the newer ones. Displaying goods for different events. Palletising excess stock and shrink wrapping it. Using pallet jack to remove pallets from shop floor to the dock area.

Unfair workplace

No respect at all from managers, unhappy people. Over-all a horrible work place environment.A typical day at work consists of you picking up after people, there is no room for advancement. People have been at Big W for several years and are still treated as the newbies are.

Pros

time and a half on sundays

Cons

no respect

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BIG W. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare BIG W with