BIG W

BIG W Employee Reviews for Associate

Associate77 reviews
Australia77 reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

Decent place to work, some managers weren't the greatest but others were wonderful

Would have enjoyed it more if I had a better manager at the time, other managers were really good and I wished I could have worked with them instead.

great place to learn all aspects of the retail industry

Can become very busy especially during festive seasonlong periods standingmay not get break times due to being busyyou meet lots of people everyday

Pros

see new season fashions

Cons

long hrs on feet

Fine work, no hours.

The work itself was pretty standard retail, cashier/door greeter. First couple weeks were solid, but suddenly dropped straight down to 1 shift a week and despite my best efforts to gain more, they couldn’t offer me any more. Management were nice, a lot of the staff didn’t try to get along or get to know you. No one said goodbye when I left, except for when I went up and said goodbye. Obviously discounts are a plus, that’s about it. Just be wary, good temporary job - nothing more.

Pros

Work/Lunch Parties.

Cons

No hours, staff don’t want to really know you.

Just a great place to work

Just turn up to work & work also enjoy your self know what you are doing be polite to others dress accordingly to our workplace no skimpy holey short skirts ,shorts.

Pros

Meeting different people & working with great people

Cons

There is none for me

This is a must read before apply for a job at Big W Morayfield

They Will not hire anyone if a disability This job is best suited for school leavers or semi-retire person that need minimum hours needing flexible time. For other duties or study or after a few hours to earn some dollars. It works on a 4 hr shift each night, In house training. My Favorite part about work there was meeting some of the most interesting customers. My lest Favorite part about work there was the constant fighting. Not physically but it was close And the gossip and rumors. It was like high school and not a workplace. Pros: Staff discount Prospect (only if you friend with Manager) Cons: Dishonest Double Standard Discrimination Poor communication No prospect

Management is the worst in any industry I’ve been in

Management is the worst in any industry I’ve been in, interviewing is easy, always understaffed so you will never get to complete your own set tasks,.

Great at retail services

There is room for individual growth and learn the culture of fast-paced work culture of the retail sector. Day starts with filling products and ends with recovering products. Managers are helpful and teach what you need to know depending upon the initiatives you take.

Christmas Casual

I do not recommend working at this store. Very high turnover. Management speak very poorly to new staff. Not helpful. Training is very poor. More time is needed. Not enough notice when on call.

Great workplace

Great team and management, I always felt safe and cared for at work. Room to advance in your career if you wanted to. I have nothing bad to say about the job or company itself, but the pay was quite poor unless you're a casual. Which I was before I was forced into a contract, being told if I didn't take the contract that I would be promised no hours at all. I wasn't even given a day to consider the contract and speak about it with my husband, they told me I had to answer by the end of the day. Due to them cutting my pay down, it was no longer enough to make it worth the cover of life costs and I had to resign. I'm extremely dissapointed with the outcome and wish management could have worked with me with balancing my home and work life. I wish the store all the future success though! Great team.

stressful and demanding

Workload is stressful and too demanding for the minimum wage offered. Management is unappreciative of staff members and don't offer positive reinforcement.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at BIG W?

Good fun

working at Big W was fun there wasn't much else about it, you dont get a lot of incentives and the management weren't the nicest. the other staff members were great to work with

Overworked and underpaid

If you can do different roles,it’s expected you do all of them. Eg:- if supervising and you know how to do lay-bys and checkouts.its expected from you to cover all 3 positions. You can be trying to resolve a problem for a customer whilst there is a queue forming and being called over the load speaker to go to a different department. You only get paid for one position

Staff are always welcoming & honest

Staff always try to get along, be positive& be helpful. I looked forward to going to work & felt needed. Accolades are given when deserved & offer advise when necessary

Work

It is a stressful place to work, to much work to do with to little of a team. All the work is left up to the fill team and if it isnt done when a day staff wants it done or needs it or simply doesn’t like the arrangement they will complain. Fellow workers in other departments also like to come up and give you a mouthful about something you havent done. I have had staff members come up to me and whinge about my fellow team members being lazy and slow in which we are neither. Not job secure as you can range from one shift a fortnight to one a week or whenever the deem necessary if they like you that week. Its clear that managers have their favourites and give them more shifts to simply talk to them all day and prevent them from doing work to talk.

Pros

Sometimes free food that is going/is out of date

Cons

Day staff clashes with night staff, low pay, unsecured work shifts

Lack of hours

Hours were not great, usually only gathered 1-3 shifts every week. The work environment was good, enjoyable and friendly employees. Management was good for the most part, although there was a lack of transparency towards how many shifts you would receive whilst starting.

Poor management; lack of career opportunities and training; lacking professionalism.

Interpersonal politicking is a significant problem that subsequently resulted in poor communication, ostracisation, bullying and more broadly, a hostile work environment; making mundane tasks very challenging. Moreover, the repeated breach of confidentiality on the part of line-managers as well as upper-management; and the complete disregard for company policy, rules and practices, only serves to exacerbate. The metric in which merit and opportunities for career advancement should be based should be objective (i.e.performance management), however, this is seldom the case. In lieu of determination and strong work ethic is loyalism (to personal agendas esp. those at the forefront of municipal power relations, that is to say, members of management). It is very difficult to convey sufficient information to customers (about products, company procedure, concerns, etc.) and often this results in customer dissatisfaction with the service, which, in turn, leads to less sales and clientele; and more criticism about under-performance and deficiencies in professional decorum from management. There is little to no training given; and you'll often find yourself thrown into the deep end, heavily relying on fellow colleagues who've mastered the art of improvisation and self-teaching, through years of the same excruciating experience. Another thing. If you're somebody who remotely deviates from the status quo (i.e. mentally ill, LGBT, disabled/have a disability, ethnic minority) you especially will have a hard time. I have never witnessed and experienced more appalling treatment towards -

Big w does not take care of their employees

I don't even know where to begin. Training was poor. Thrown in the deep in on the first day and expected to know everything. Only decent hours are Christmas and Toy sale. Was offered and accepted 3 contracts for part time only to be taken away because apparently they didn't need a person for that job. Way too much pressure on staff to meet unrealistic expectations on pallets done during night shift. Originally there were recovery staff and nightfill but Big W blended them to save money and expected to do the 2 jobs in 1 with less hours to do it in. Highly stressful and lack of support from the company.

Pros

Pay was ok

Cons

Pretty much everything written above

Fun workplace and environment

Part-time job during my high school years, Big W placed great emphasis on quality customer service and punctuality. They offered flexible hours around my studies

Pros

Fleibility

Cons

Job security

Productive workplace and diversity

Customer Service, Appropriate Presentation of Assigned Section, Stock Management & Correct Stock Pricing, Cash Handling,other retail related duties as required.

Pros

Lunch Breaks

Cons

Not enough hours

fun interaction with customers and a great team of committed workers

Working at big w has been a pleasure my team provided me with the tools and skills to ensure i was maximising our customers needs and priorities. i have learnt how attend to our customers needs and meeting those needs through customer service e.g lay by return exchange, registers and other enquires Management staff were very helpful and i felt comfortable when had any concerns with rosters or customer enquires which were rare as i'm a quick learner Friendly enviroment full of staff who were non judgmental and team morale was important to all. regular meeting occured with companies progress Hardest part of the job would be not having the stock avaliable to the customers needs. Enoyable part of the job is satifying the customers needs and enquires

Pros

Working in a structured organisation

Cons

Inconsistant work patterns and rosters

I enjoyed working there but at times disorganised management and disorganised store .

I enjoyed working there except for particular persons it was good to night fill for I lost weight and didnt have to go to a gym.Managements were changed a few times and also the night fill managers thank you and I wasn,t happy with the bullying in the work place.there wasnt really any job that was hard but been of old school i couldnt get my head around the telsons.

Pros

I tried not to get involved in this for to me it was a waste of time .

Cons

I enjoyed working the long hours .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BIG W. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare BIG W with