BIG W

BIG W Employee Reviews for Customer Service Representative

Customer Service Representative136 reviews
Australia136 reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

It’s okay if you don’t have aspirations for a fulfilling job

If your role is a customer service champion or you work weekends when it’s busy it can be fun and you get into a flow state, but when you go full time and do the daily grind of merchandising, printing tickets, serving customers at the checkouts, helping them look for items - it gets mind numbing.When toy sale and Christmas hits though, it’s among the most stressful experiences both from management who need to get as much work done as possible with limited staff and customer impatience.

Pros

Long lunch breaks

Cons

Sometimes you can be micro managed

Great experience, but maybe work-life balance might be a struggle

Really supportive co-workers and management. However, need to give availability very early as they roster few weeks prior. This might affect a person's work-life balance.

Stressful, under staffed

To many work changes for the worst.Head office make some very poor decisions. No uniform policy. Customers are confused if you work there. Under staffed.

Pros

Friendly staff to work with.

Cons

Under paid. Customers getting more demanding and entitled.

Boring and poor management

Poor management you don’t get hardly any training just a 10 minute run though there is never any support and your expected to be available 24/7 otherwise you don’t get shifts

Fun workplace - lovely crew

Overall I loved working for Bigw, it was fun I enjoyed helping customers. Team member were really lovely, although I would have liked being trained in all areas of the business. Their wasn’t much fairness when it came to training and hours. Some people were trained more then others and some hadn’t way more hours.

Pros

Great crew, work life’s balance

Cons

short hours no training

Good opportunity if you’re keen to work

As a +60 year old I was made redundant from a 30 year career. Getting the job at Big W was my saving grace. As a casual the pay isn’t great, BUT it helps me mentally - I can’t retire this early anyway! I would like to thank them for giving older workers a go 🙏🏻

Just bad.

Your co-workers, supervisors and team leaders will generally be very helpful, happy and encouraging and giving you clear direction on what's expected from you.Management is absolutely awful. There are so many negative things I could say about this business.It's good for a first job, but beyond that look elsewhere.

Pros

Free food sometimes, other team members are really friendly and understanding

Cons

Management is terrible, rarely any hours, the customers you have to deal with

Great

Loved working at Big w. Pay was great, plenty of offers for extra hours when on shift, staff were easy to get along with (mostly). Training was near non existent but colleagues will show you if you ask. Pay is great on casual wage.

Pros

Good wages, decent hours

Cons

Iffy Management

Not the best

They are generally understaffed and so the pressure gets put on the one man departments to pick up the work even though they still have to cover their department and another area. They also don't really offer great contracts or show much acknowledgement for when you'd have to cover the other departments. The people are lovely to work with and the pay and break times were great though. Casual rates would be around $26/hr for over 20s and for an 8 hr shift you'd get an hr break and two 15mins. Would recommend to someone who is studying and looking for casual work but be aware that there will be times that they don't roster you for weeks and so you will have no income.

Pros

Break times and pay rate were generous

Cons

Overworked and lack of appreciation

Great work/life balance and pay for a retail job

A typical day for me would include being on the shop floor mostly within the hard goods side of the store and serving any customers that need a hand, especially during the busy weekend trade. Working store stock during and after store operating hours and listing any excess stock to existing pallet(s) out the back dock. Also ticketing any lines that have missing shelf tickets. Especially in the Toy section as that was my main zone/area of expertise. Also general cleaning duties which includes tidying the store and back dock ready for the next days trade.Hardest part of the job was sometimes dealing with unhappy customers as well as being short-staffed which lead to extra pressure getting tasks done throughout the shift.Most enjoyable part of the job were very supportive colleagues as we consider ourselves like family and being praised by management for hard work and effort into your work Future improvements that could be made include extra staff rostered on for weekend shifts and busy periods. Especially for floor staff as it can be difficult being the only one on the floor at times as well as better organisation as to who's working in which department at any given time. Also accessibility to be able to pick up extra shifts so that shift allocation is as fair as possible. Otherwise I have no further suggestions for improvement and would happily work for Big W again :)

Pros

Great pay, Job security, work/life balance, approachable management

Cons

Having to work most weekends, extra hours may be hard to get at times

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at BIG W?

very stressful place of employment

work place culture was very stressful with lack of friendliness in the staff and management. Alot of very negative people to work with who would do anything to try and get you fired so they could get more hours

Pros

nil

Cons

long hours at times

Customer service

I wish get job in BIG w. I like to work any were in big-w I'm happy to work. i have experience customer service, shelved tidy refilled shelved, i enjoy to working team members they are very help full.

A great entry level job

Big W is a great place to learn about retail, it is very accommodating for all new coming staff. The general staff are great and helpful. Over time the business has changed and the work place has become more challenging, there are few advancement opportunities and permanent employment has lessened.

Friendly work place

All team members and managers are friendly easy to get along with and provide training needed to do the job. going to work is exciting and i am always keen to go

Hours

Big W was a good first job, it provided me with the essential skills need to remain calm in a stressful and fast-paced environment. Alongside it taught me how to be productive and have the initiative in slow-paced times.

BIG W is big supermarket. And it gives good service to the customer.

Being a customer service representative in BIG W I used spent most of the time there. I work there for 4 to 5 hours in a day. I have learnt many thing from there. I really get my English more improvement. Also how to serve and help the customer. The most tough phase was when customer scold me or they didn’t get the things when they want. The most enjoyable part is to talk with the customer and help them

productive and fun workplace

productive and fun workplace even though it was really tiring. management was really good, friendly staff and good breaks. it was mostly fun for me because my friend and i both worked together at the same branch and our teamwork allowed us to get more work done.

mostly great people

not enough hours however some great people to work with. no contracts offered anymore so only casual.progression is achievable but once again with poor hours and no contracts

Good environment, inconsistent shifts

Pay and conditions were good, managers were good. Casuals barely get shifts however so you can go from working consistently to not having any shifts for several months.

Productive and relaxed work environment with a large break area

A days work at big w is mostly customer assistance whilst trying to focus on your own tasks, that would be the most difficult part of the job, both satisfying every customer and completing your own tasks, management are always nice and willing to help along with your co-workers. The most enjoyable part of working at Big W would be the environment, having so many nice people and different products around you, learning about how everything works and what’s behind the scenes.

Poor management and work quality

The work expected from management is about what you get paid for. Their pay system is horrendous and they tend to reward lazy staff over hard working staff. They say they are a family oriented company however I am yet to see how they help when families require support

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BIG W. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• BIG W