BIG W

BIG W Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Retail Sales Associate96 reviews
Australia96 reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

Fun fast-paced first job in retail

Good job to gain experience and learn about retail operations. Not much opportunity for progression or much management support, though. Fine job if you are patient, good with people, and wanting to work around studies.

Pros

Flexible hours, time goes fast

Cons

Customers, lack of support

Brought in mandate for covid vaccine

After bringing in the covid vax mandate woolworths terminated 1000s of their employees, some had worked for 10+ years. I am disgusted by this especially after being employed for 11 years almost it just felt like a great big kick in the guts. And I am not the only person who has had to face this. The company does not care about you, do not waste your time going for a job with them.

Pros

Cons

They lie about everything.

Unorganised and a clique environment

My first shift, nobody knew what I was doing. There was a lack of organization and poor management. The environment also felt very toxic and cliquey, it felt as though others would talk behind your back. Some people were really nice and helpful, however I felt like I turned up to my shift and was just chucked with whoever without any proper training

Pros

Salary

Cons

Poor management and organization

Great job

Can be very stressful expected to do a 4 person job, they expect you to be able to give up having a life and working there 5/6 days week for 3/4hr a days, plus side was the team i worked with where fantastic, Had great leaders and Manager. THE biggest down fall for me at BigW was i could only get 16hr a week unfortunately I can't live off that.

Pros

Great team Great Manager Great leaders

Cons

Not enough hours Minimum wage Working a 4 person job Won't more hrs you need work more days, thats hard when your there already on day 6 a week

Very stressful overworked but we did get chocolates in lunch room occasionally when we were fatigued trying to do 2 or 3 people's work etc.

I worked there 18 years and when I asked for a few weeks stress pay cause I wasn't coping. Didn't get any so I had to leave with no money behind me as I had been going through many medical issues during the year. After 18 years I thought I might at least get a card or letter thanking me for my service for you. Very disappointing. As everyone said we're just a number no one cared about us it was all about money

Pros

Free lunches sometimes if you were rosters to work at that time

Cons

No communication. Nobody knew if last week's tasks were valid or changed this week

Nice to meet new people.

Getting a 3hrs shift for one day work wasn’t enough and wasn’t enough money either to travel,pay bills and buy food.I would maybe like to work again for big w on the cash registers as i did have 16yrs with them.

Great place to work.

Great place to work. Jobs are described well.Staff are easy to get along with and have made friends easily.Technology is easy to use. (Registers/phones/symbols)

I wouldn't recommend it

I've been with the company for 2 and a half years now. Unfortunately almost a year ago, my previous store shut down and since then my job has completely changed. It went from a fun, drama free, healthy working environment to an unreliable, unhealthy, toxic workplace where you are unfortunately treated differently if you don't suck up to the managers. There is no communication, you will be pushed when you're already down. There is no getting ahead.

Pros

Staff discount

Cons

Unreliable hours, management, toxic work environment

Do not work at big w ever

SAVE your soul ,and dignity and pride.Have a little more self worth and confidence to keep looking for other jobs other than RETAIL , get educated and be persistent.BIG W IS NOT IT.DO A COURSE not in retail ,maybe at TAFE , or UNI. IT IS A DEAD END JOB.

Pros

Cons

Everything about working in retail

Solid friendly workplace

Great friends made working here in staff and management. Family atmosphere after working there for seven years. Good work life/balance if you have the right team

Pros

Staff discount

A fun place to work in

Big W is a fun and nice place to work in yet salary and coworkers don’t really like to cope rate and a team in many ways employers are strict but forgiving

Pros

10%off

Cons

Productive and enthusiastic work environment

Good place to work, Enthusiastic and support team and management to work with. Fun work environment. Easy to learn the ways of the business and a really great team training you and providing feedback and tips.

Amazing

Would recommend big w for employment to anyone and everyone. I loved my time there! Good staff, good shifts, good hours, amazing management. Honestly the best job I have ever had

Working with customers is rewarding

No chance to learn new skills. Alot of favouritism by management. Not family friendly hours. Employ new staff when casuals don't receive enough to begin with.

Pros

Making customers happy

Cons

Not enough hours. Not family friendly

Great Company

Like a big Family. Loved working with this company. The only unfortunate was towards the end of employment there were a lot of management changes and a lot of mental stress not having definitive answers on closing stores etc.

Productive and fun workplace, also good company.

Big W is a fun and enthusiastic place and a great company to work with. It's also a relaxed calm place for employees to work. Big W is one of the biggest retail stores to work in because the employees are nice and you also get to learn new things.

Honeslty great staff and many great customers. Team work was amazing and so were the pay rates

Working for big w was a great experience to be apart of. The management is great, the staff are very friendly, pay rates were good and so was the communication between the store

Good learning experience and Good for a first job

If it's your first job or whatever the case may be. It's a great way to gain retail experience and self development. I loved the environment and communicating with customers.

Fun environment

I did not do any paid work their as it was only for work experience, but with the experience i gained from there was really good, the team was amazing and fantasic

Decent job, childish managers

Job was good overall with good people but select managers liked to bide their time gossiping about workers instead of working. Overall good experience that was tainted by a few people high up.

Fast paced environment with very little staff

Learnt a lot over the years however it is beginning to wear thin, with a typical day being very busy yet very little staff on duty. More and more jobs required from each individual yet no training is given. Its a learn on the spot kind of job which is not an issue if your a fast learner.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BIG W. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• BIG W
  • Retail Sales Associate
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?