BIG W

Sales Associate15 reviews
Australia15 reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

It could of been better

Overall Big W was good, co-workers that are friendly yet management only think of you as a number at the end of the day. Stay back to help out the store and managers and also because your passionate about your job but get told off for staying back from other managers. Also if you call to have the day off because your unwell they make you feel bad about it.

Flexible working hours and great staff

The flexible shifts available to me gave me the opportunity to easily work alongside my university degree. I learned vital interpersonal and communication skills that gave me the ability to work as part of a team.

Pros

Great management

Cons

Short shifts

Productive Workplace, but not a friendly environment

A typical day at work would include, managers walking around store making sure you are doing your job but also managers just talking to people not really working. I learned how to approach customers, make the store look presentable.

Pros

Flexible, Good first job as casual

Cons

Not friendly environment

Productive, great training

Big W is an amazing start to life in retail, the management are supportive and are very good in keeping all staff on track to their sales goals. A very supportive and protective workplace.

No focus whatsoever on employees

Being a big corporation obviously it is expected that they aren't always... able to recognize or reward their employees but Big W's complete lack of recognition of their employee's hard work really takes the cake!

No comment

Staff are great to work with - a shame with their flexibility, as they need to put on more staff and willing to pay for new staff to be employed. Overall, staff come and go, It's that type of atmosphere. No permanent roles going at the moment. No contracts.

Pros

Gain experience within Retail and dealing with customers.

Cons

Long-hours, guaranteed shifts

Always busy

A typical day at work consists of greeting customers with a smile and making their transaction as seamless as possible. I've learned that you cannot keep everyone happy but if you are a positive worker, then for the most part the people you serve and the coworkers around you, have a better day overall. The management is a very top down hierarchy, with each manager having their own unique personalities and pet peeves. For the most part I get along with most if not all managers and try to stay in their good books. The hardest part of the job is the lack of respect from some customers and few staff members. Being viewed as being at the bottom of the career food chain and therefor as unquestionably stupid. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to interact with many people from all walks of life and making their day just a little bit better.

Treated like a number

If you ever want to be treated like a person; do not work for this company. If you specialise in an area that need a specific skill or qualification; don’t work here. If you want management to blame you for things you never did; don’t work here. If you’re after okay money with no chance of career progression; work here. Got a problem? THEY. DON’T. CARE.

Pros

Money

Cons

Management, support, store maintenance.

Job Environment

I had good time at work. I never had any issues. I believe to take care of my co-workers and give respect all the time. My management was very caring and responsible.

Friendly work atmosphere

I worked 3 hour shifts 3-4 evenings a week, My shift consisted of dusting packing shelves ticketing and helping customers with enquires, I learnt good time management skills computer skills and customer service skills. My management and co workers were good helpful people.

Productive and supportive workplace environment with a great team

Reception duties, optical dispensing Invoices and purchase orders Manager and Optometrist are experienced in the optical industry which has allowed me to learn from the best and gain as much knowledge about the many aspects of Optometry

not enough hours

good environment but no job security. only casual hours are offered and no contracts. The most enjoyable part of the job is customer service and merchandising

Pros

learning

Cons

inconsistant hours

Work

Going to work servicing the customers. I learned many different rolls in the store which made it more interesting and worth while.

Pros

Meeting new people and doing a good job.

Cons

Working with some of the people their.

Friendly colleagues make it fun to work

The only thing I enjoy about going to work is the friendly customers - they make me laugh.

Pros

no comment

Cons

no comment.

Productive place to work with a good pay rate

This job isn't very rewarding, management isn't very friendly or overall fair. But an easy job with a rewarding pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BIG W. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare BIG W with