BIG W

BIG W Employee Reviews for Team Member

Team Member37 reviews
Australia37 reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

Good retail experience terrible management

Great retail experience. If you never done it it's a good place to start. You can easily pick up hours from other calling in sick all the time. Staff are always will to help and teach each other.Management will never notice or acknowledge your hard work. They tend to not like casuals and favourite part timers. They also like to give you boring jobs they are ment to do as a manager because they rather do more interesting jobs. The company doesn't give out contracts even after working hard for 3 years at full time hours. Because the company as a whole isn't stable and they are scared having to pay people out and make them redundant.

Pros

Good retail experience. Staff are fun and friendly.

Cons

Management tend to be very ageist. Next to no training get used to learning on the fly.

would not recommend

bad place to workstaff are mean and unfriendlycatty behaviourno room for growth within companyhours cut regularlywouldnt recommend for anyone to workhere

Can be fun but management was very bad

Can be a fun place to work but managers didn't really care much about your outside life or commitments. Sometimes you'll be overworked, some days you'll get no shifts. Very inconsistent but some employees were good.

People are a commodity

Not a great place to work, management fight each other for resources (workers) and don't work together as a team. They all have their own agenda and look to tear each other down at any opportunity.

Pros

Employee discount for the Woolworths Group

Cons

Inconsistent hours, poorly managed stores.

great place too work.

Great inclusive place too work. Everyone is nice because that is company's directive, and that's a good thing, too be accepted as you are gives people the space just to be themselves.

Pros

5% Discount

Cons

Irregular hours per week as a casual.

Average duties and jobs, never actually worked here long term. I've only worked here for work experience for 1 week and Big W has a variety of work around the stores. Career development is very limited as I see it.

Great place to work at good pay. friendly staff.

Work was very okay. Pretty easy stuff good pay for casual. Staff are mostly friendly and are happy to help out. Had to leave due to personal reasons. Would work here again.

Pros

Good pay, friendly co workers. Store manager was the best.

Cons

None.

Work was good, poor management

I worked in the fill department as a causal and I was given no shifts or training despite working there for two years and asking constantly. Management gave others training they liked. I enjoyed the work as I learnt a lot and the staff were nice but management were lazy, constantly cutting and forced me out.

Pros

nice staff, good pay during Christmas, good for starters with no experience

Cons

no shifts, no training, poor management

Productive during peak seasons otherwise no shifts.

Consistent shifts during peak seasons but low hours because they hired too many for one role. Staff are friendly but talk badly about each other in different roles. Manager does not let staff know of shift changes.

Pros

Decent pay and good shifts during peak seasons

Cons

Overstaffed and not enough shifts to give out outside of peak seasons

Decent first job

The people there are pretty nice. It's a little challenging to figure your way around but if you ask for help there will be people who are willing to help.

Management not supportive

Staff at this store work their butts off but there's never a thanks or any kind of encouragement from management, just a lot of nitpicking and kowtowing to 'Head Office'.

Don't work in hardgoods

the line manager in the hardgoods section is ruthless and will not forgive minor mistakes. you mess up and your shifts are cut for weeks. barely any shifts given if you're deemed "unreliable" (i.e. if you forget to call in sick). don't bother.

Pros

you get money i guess

Cons

constant shift cuts

Productive and enjoyable environment

Love working at big W gateway, have the most awesomeness team , great bosses', and excellent manager couldn't ask for a better job, thxu for having me as part of the big W crew.

All bad at big w

This place has destroyed my soul. Talk about feeling like an adult that has been taken back in time to high school with a bunch of gossiping bullies. Talk about feeling like a prisoner serving time that is constantly being watched over cameras. On the floor and with timing your tea breaks. 15 mins to leave your work station, walk to the back of the store, go upstairs, toilet, supposedly still have time to make a cup of tea, supposedly drink that same tea and then head downstairs and back to your workstation. Talk about feeling like a victim of mental abuse from the downright rude trouble making customers that you encounter each week. You reach out to management only to find out later that they rewarded the customer for their bad behaviour towards their team member with a gift card and chocolates or some other suck up gift. No reward for the team member who was the victim of the verbal attack. There is no protection or support. (oh but wait... they will pretend to care if you make a little song and dance about the issue. They will even hand out a contact card for EAP services. Mainly to shut you up I presume. That or because it is written in the guidelines and done purely out of procedure) Because they truly only care about their customers at BIG W. Sick of giving so much effort to this workplace for so little in return. There is no rewards other than a discount team benefits card and being able to go home to a better life after your shift. Save your soul - Look for a better place to work.

Pros

Team Benefits card and home time. Thank god I have a life outside of BIG W.

Cons

Gossiping, Bullying, Abuse from customers, Camera monitoring, Fight for annual leave, High stress, Difficult team members and management

Ok

If you are in the clique then you will be fine..if not then too bad for you. Favouritism shown to those who management liked by way of them being given more shifts or training in other departments.

No loyalty

I worked there for 12 months as a casual, Hours cut constantly to give full timers more work. At one point I was working 40hr weeks As a Casual and they refused to put me on contact. I worked late nights, early mornings anything I was asked and still got shafted to 5 hours a week when they didn’t make budget.

Busy work place , good team members. Overall a positive work place. Downside as a casual the hours are very limited sometimes.This can be stressful and needs to be addressed,need a minimum number of hour per week.

Dead-end mind-numbing job

Tasks are repetitive and extremely boring. Picking items off of shelves over and over. You literally feel your life slipping away. Depressive as job. Managers are also massive a s s h o l e s. They talk to everyone without respect, even each other. Yelling, telling people off for even the slightest mishap or things that don’t actually matter at all. Worst work environment I’ve ever been in.

Good experience

As it is big organisation I have gained good experience,customer faced,organised... we get learn how to work in big organisation we can improve our communication skills.

Productive and nice place to work

Good place to work, learned many things like following the every day schedules to be done, culture of the place is good. People from management to co employees are very cooperative and helpful. Hardest part of the job is coming out of the company.

productive and relaxed

Fun and relaxed work environment. Not too rushed about here work and take pride in it. Always trying to help the customers out if in need. Teaches you new skills.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BIG W. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• BIG W