BIG W

Australia863 reviews

Clear
3.7Work–Life Balance
3.2Job Security & Advancement

Was a job for the sake of a job

Not going to pretend it's more than it was, was just a job for getting by, can be a career if you want if to but for the most part, a job for school leavers who want to go to uni

Micromanagement, lack of opportunities and poor training

The worst big company I have worked for, no interest in personal development or wellbeing. All internal jobs are kept for manager’s friends or their acquaintances. The career opportunities are almost none added with poor management and lack of training. Micromanagement and abusive behaviour are all over the place. Please don’t waste your time applying for any job there unless you are friends with the manager, otherwise you won’t get any shifts.

Pros

Cons

All you can think of

Culture steeped in policy & procedures, original thought not encouraged

Unfortunately a once family orientated company has descended into a toxic environment where everyone is miserable. They now promote very young 20 somethings to store management very quickly who have very little understanding of people, very little empathy, very little experience. If you’re a more mature age, been with the company for many years you’re treated as though you should be pensioned off. Wealth of experience in customer service means nothing. It’s a job for those who need one to get some experience, but don’t get stuck in the rut & move on to a more encouraging, inclusive workplace.

Pros

Some of the employees become good friends

Cons

Low morale, no job satisfaction

Brought in mandate for covid vaccine

After bringing in the covid vax mandate woolworths terminated 1000s of their employees, some had worked for 10+ years. I am disgusted by this especially after being employed for 11 years almost it just felt like a great big kick in the guts. And I am not the only person who has had to face this. The company does not care about you, do not waste your time going for a job with them.

Pros

Cons

They lie about everything.

I still miss it!

Working at big w was genuinely the best job I have ever had, I didn’t want to leave but needed more job security as I was only a casual, I had the best team and co workers and my manager became one of my closest friends. I miss it incredibly and wish I could of stayed,I worked on Night Fill and Online shopping and i enjoyed it thoroughly. I lost 15kgs just working here!

Pros

Free breakfast bar/snack table, Good people

Cons

very tiring, not appreciated enough

Good retail experience terrible management

Great retail experience. If you never done it it's a good place to start. You can easily pick up hours from other calling in sick all the time. Staff are always will to help and teach each other.Management will never notice or acknowledge your hard work. They tend to not like casuals and favourite part timers. They also like to give you boring jobs they are ment to do as a manager because they rather do more interesting jobs. The company doesn't give out contracts even after working hard for 3 years at full time hours. Because the company as a whole isn't stable and they are scared having to pay people out and make them redundant.

Pros

Good retail experience. Staff are fun and friendly.

Cons

Management tend to be very ageist. Next to no training get used to learning on the fly.

Great experience

I was hired during Xmas. There were a lot of hours then, but expect to work very little to no hours after Xmas. I was hired as a casual fill team member. When you're employed, they tell you to expect to work in different positions. I've worked in 6 different positions while working here.In my experience, the people I've met while working here are kind and are willing to help if you ask, including managers. However, at times, I have had to figure things out on my own since managers are constantly busy. Regardless, the team here is great!I don't really have anything bad to say. You will probably cry once working opening hours during Xmas, especially at this location since this Big W is huge. Other than that, working here is enjoyable :)

Pros

Great team

Cons

3 hour weeks from time to time

Great experience, but maybe work-life balance might be a struggle

Really supportive co-workers and management. However, need to give availability very early as they roster few weeks prior. This might affect a person's work-life balance.

Great team and flexable, lots of fun and always super busy. Challenging and rewarding. Pay is fair and there is room to build your skill set in the future

Good opportunity if you’re keen to work

As a +60 year old I was made redundant from a 30 year career. Getting the job at Big W was my saving grace. As a casual the pay isn’t great, BUT it helps me mentally - I can’t retire this early anyway! I would like to thank them for giving older workers a go 🙏🏻

Pretty easy retail job

Worked as a Christmas Casual for a few months, not the best in terms or training if you’re new to retail. Coworkers are really lovely and helpful when asking questions.

Productive fun workpalce to be with.

Fairly easy work, fellow colleagues were friendly. A very down-to-earth workplace where everyone is welcome. Staff discount and promotions were fair. Breaks were fair. Pay was ok

great place too work.

Great inclusive place too work. Everyone is nice because that is company's directive, and that's a good thing, too be accepted as you are gives people the space just to be themselves.

Pros

5% Discount

Cons

Irregular hours per week as a casual.

Average duties and jobs, never actually worked here long term. I've only worked here for work experience for 1 week and Big W has a variety of work around the stores. Career development is very limited as I see it.

Great casual pay

Great casual pay but difficult to secure hoursMost employees are casual so be prepared to have your shifts moved around a lotFairly easy job and not many negatives except for those listed above

Very stressful overworked but we did get chocolates in lunch room occasionally when we were fatigued trying to do 2 or 3 people's work etc.

I worked there 18 years and when I asked for a few weeks stress pay cause I wasn't coping. Didn't get any so I had to leave with no money behind me as I had been going through many medical issues during the year. After 18 years I thought I might at least get a card or letter thanking me for my service for you. Very disappointing. As everyone said we're just a number no one cared about us it was all about money

Pros

Free lunches sometimes if you were rosters to work at that time

Cons

No communication. Nobody knew if last week's tasks were valid or changed this week

Fun workplace for starting in retail

I love it in Big W. Hard at first because I didn’t know anything and started at a very busy time. Manager is lovely and kind. She let me be paired up with someone to learn the basics. The store manager including my manager were so kind to me when I explained about my hardships in the past year and helped me out.

Pros

Staff discount

Cons

Staff can sometimes be talking badly about each other

Get job advancement

Great place to work. I had the opportunity to work in 5 different stores throughout my 15 years starting from night filling to becoming management. All staff are great. Company is supportive of job advancement

Pros

Always something new

Decent place to work, some managers weren't the greatest but others were wonderful

Would have enjoyed it more if I had a better manager at the time, other managers were really good and I wished I could have worked with them instead.

Great work/life balance and pay for a retail job

A typical day for me would include being on the shop floor mostly within the hard goods side of the store and serving any customers that need a hand, especially during the busy weekend trade. Working store stock during and after store operating hours and listing any excess stock to existing pallet(s) out the back dock. Also ticketing any lines that have missing shelf tickets. Especially in the Toy section as that was my main zone/area of expertise. Also general cleaning duties which includes tidying the store and back dock ready for the next days trade.Hardest part of the job was sometimes dealing with unhappy customers as well as being short-staffed which lead to extra pressure getting tasks done throughout the shift.Most enjoyable part of the job were very supportive colleagues as we consider ourselves like family and being praised by management for hard work and effort into your work Future improvements that could be made include extra staff rostered on for weekend shifts and busy periods. Especially for floor staff as it can be difficult being the only one on the floor at times as well as better organisation as to who's working in which department at any given time. Also accessibility to be able to pick up extra shifts so that shift allocation is as fair as possible. Otherwise I have no further suggestions for improvement and would happily work for Big W again :)

Pros

Great pay, Job security, work/life balance, approachable management

Cons

Having to work most weekends, extra hours may be hard to get at times

Discrimination

Unfortunately being a mature aged worker I was only ever going to be a Xmas fill in and get given the minimum amount of hours. Very lazy, unhygienic juniors, friends of the manger seem to be very well looked after. The companies internal processes are a mess and find it impossible to have things like superannuation payments be adjusted and payed into your super account.. Major lack of communication and often just felt not wanted there at all. I honestly was hoping for a different experience as I had wanted to work there for quite some time.

Pros

Discounts. Long breaks

Cons

0 job security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BIG W. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare BIG W with