BIG W Pay & Benefits reviews

Going nowhere fast
Customer champion, checkout associate (Current Employee) –  Taree NSW15 March 2018
Worst job I ever ever had as a casual. Hours are all over the place so it's impossible to plan my life. So many staff have been there for years and don't get reasonable hours, yet they hire more staff so no one will ever get good hours. (avoiding super payments and lunch breaks to save money is obviously more important then there staff)
Been a easy job and quite enjoyable, casual rate is good. But after 6 months of financial insecurity and no hope for better I'm looking for something else.
Pros
Easy job, good casual hourly rate
Cons
Everything else
Great Place To Work
Fill Associate (Current Employee) –  Rouse Hill12 March 2018
An amazing place to work. Management and Co-Workers are very helpful and care about your overall health. Would Recommend working here! Doesn't feel like work, feels like a big family! A nice, easy-going job with some fast-paced days. Everyone is very helpful, and you get experience in working in all sorts of positions throughout the store.
Pros
Management, Salary, Breaks, Workplace Culture
Cons
Being a Casual
Productive and fun and correct in work
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Melbourn11 March 2018
I have finish the university for public administration. The job that i like the most is office administrator becouse i like to work in office . I wan a job for better life and to stay incontact with people.
Pros
Free lunches
Good place
Fill Associate (Current Employee) –  Campbelltown NSW18 February 2018
Good place to work. Unfortunately I was put on for the Christmas period and into the new year am getting no shifts which is why I need a full time job and more of a career path.
fun place to work
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Central Coast NSW3 January 2018
Big W is a fun place to work with nice people. management isn't the best and the hours could be better but overall good place to work, staff are friendly and hardworking.
Pros
life long friends.
Cons
not enough hours
Understand
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Armadale WA1 January 2018
The whole team is understanding and work closely with each other. Fun place to work and work time is flexible especially for those with family to look after
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Few hours
There not much good about working at big w
Night Filler (Current Employee) –  Shepparton VIC16 December 2017
I have worked at big w for 2 years now and the only good thing about woring there is the exit.
You do a lot of work for not alot of pay.
People that work there are all up them selfs
Have to be a good workerto get some hour.
Pros
The exit
Cons
Long hour for very poor pay
Great company, not bad to work for
Retail Assistant/Supervisor/Layby Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane Northside QLD5 October 2017
As a previous employee I moved around the workplace quite a bit doing various jobs. Its hard work, doesn't always pay off. I learnt a lot. Worth it.
Pros
Hour lunch
Cons
Can be long days at times and not always friendly staff
Productive work place.
Service area. (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT4 October 2017
It was fun to work at BIG W.I enjoyed the hours I worked and the team environment there . The reliable hours were a bonus as well . Was easy to get bus there.
Pros
Nice sized lunch room.
Cons
Long hours.
Great First Job for a High School/Uni Student
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Darwin NT28 September 2017
This was my first job i worked at for 6 months as a high school student.

Pay/ Benefits:
The job is ideally for students wanting part time work to earn some cash outside of school. 90% of the Replenishment Team members i worked with were either at high school or in uni. Saying that, the pay was mediocre but that was to be expected in a minimum wage job with literally no entry requirements. I was working part time for the majority of my employment so i was entitled to some benefits but honestly as a High School student, i couldn't care less other than maybe the 5% discount Woolworths card.

Job Description
The job usually consisted of 3 hour shifts where i would ensure that the presentation of the stock was acceptable for the department i was in charge of for the day (eg. Kitchen, Manchester, Sports & gardening.) The first 2 hours were during store operating hours so customer interaction was inevitable but usually they would either ask where a particular product was or if a certain item was in stock so nothing 2 hard. I also would help the nightfill associates stock/fill shelves if i finished my job early so be prepared to work in other departments. Some days are slow, some go fast, some days the mangers get angry at you for no reason, some days you may get sh!tty customers, but in the end just deal with it and get your minimum wage pay check.

Working Condition/Work life:
The job was very flexible and was tailored around my school hours. I could still have a social life and have other commitments (Gym membership) whilst working at Big W and studying at school.
  more... However, they may call you in for work on the same day during the busier periods of the week or ask you to stay back for a few more hours so be prepared. The working atmosphere was mostly great. Team members were fun to be with which made the job enjoyable. I made some friends along the way which boosted my confidence and made me more sociable . Some of the managers were very supportive and i could tell they were enthusiastic about their job. However, our new store manger was the complete polar opposite of positivity and made me question my sanity.

Overall, it is a great first job and i would highly encourage High Schoolers to apply for Big W.
Pros
Team Members, Majority of the Managers, Work/Life Balance
Cons
Pay, Customers are 50/50, Some of the Managers
Good for Part time work
Retail Services Operator (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW27 September 2017
Sign in for your shift, depending on the length of the shift determines your break length, then sign out before going home.

A lot of staff who are not positive or proactive make it tougher for others to pick up the slack and stay motivated.

Lots of upper management whom we wouldn't recognise as they never engaged with us.

Great for conflict resolution, face to face customer service skills and leadership skills (if you get the opportunity). Also great for learning to self motivate!
Pros
Skills and shift flexibilty
Cons
Lack of decent benefits, negative staff
i am good at math
Stacker (Former Employee) –  Gladstone QLD13 September 2017
i am free sundays
i learnt math
i would like a spot for extra money
i would enjoy stacking because it would be like how i do spring cleans but i just hope i would get the job
Pros
free lunhces
It was a fun time
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warnbro WA23 August 2017
I got to know the manager there, he was kind, funny and respectable. I had a fun time there getting to know what a dry cleaners do.
They gave me a good time.
Good company
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT16 July 2017
We went through to many managers and Every one promised to get me into a department but never did and they were always short staffed and that made it hard when trying to get help for customers as no one would show.
Pros
Family friedly hours
Cons
Not enough hours
Big W has a good team
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingsway WA6 June 2017
They are a workplace to work at they have good areas to work in and they have good working hours and good lunch breaks and the lunch room is a pretty lunch room and they have a good work team too and easy to get to most Big W's.
Pros
good hours
Cons
they kept me in one area for 12 weeks
Big company, little employees
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Queensland7 May 2017
Consistent hours, system and management.
Good opportunity to advance if want to.
Not a very challenging job.
Hard place to get to as in the middle of the city.
Pros
Long breaks, consistent hours
Cons
Depersonalised
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Warwick QLD4 May 2017
I find Big W an enjoyable place to work with great pay and benefits.

The only reason I am searching for another job is that Big W may not be able to offer the job security that it used to. I also want to see what else is out there.
Good employee benefits and salary but no job security
Assistant business manager (Former Employee) –  Toowoomba QLD26 March 2017
Union looks after employees well with salaries and rights. But very poor job security and management are assigned on popularity not merit. Upper management make poor decisions and twist your arm into voluntary resignations to avoid redundancy packages. Make sure you are part of the union if you want to work there. Little/no job security.
Pros
Salary not bad if full time.
Cons
Very little team reward, excessive work load, poor managers
Gym, and bistro for staff.
Team leader (Former Employee) –  Victoria19 February 2017
I loved my job, but unfortunately the hours didn't suit my situation, being a single mother. Otherwise it would have been ideal. It was an interesting and ideal place to work.
Pros
Free meals
Good place to learn
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  North Ryde NSW19 February 2017
Good hours and flexible hours
Friendly staffs and managers' supports
Also giving good trainings given
Good wage and has nice environment for
staff to work