BIG W

Australia863 reviews

Clear
3.7Work–Life Balance
3.4Pay & Benefits

Chill place to work, does not get crazy like kmart can

The team and managers were very cool, not too much pressure to get things done. As long as the store was clean and customers found what they look for.

Pros

Slow most days, easy shift

Cons

Can get boring

No career opportunity

Poor management; no matter how good you are, they only give hours to the person whoever they like it even some of them are relate/friends/family and they are very lazy..

Pros

Salary ok

Cons

Less hours, unfair treatment

Micromanagement, lack of opportunities and poor training

The worst big company I have worked for, no interest in personal development or wellbeing. All internal jobs are kept for manager’s friends or their acquaintances. The career opportunities are almost none added with poor management and lack of training. Micromanagement and abusive behaviour are all over the place. Please don’t waste your time applying for any job there unless you are friends with the manager, otherwise you won’t get any shifts.

Pros

Cons

All you can think of

Ok to work at

Just an ok place to work. Being friends with the right people helps. Being a lower end employer some of the people you may have to work with will be more rough around the edges and this is an adjustment.

Simple

Easy job, pretty boring. It's the same thing day in and day out, not to much variety just stacking shelves then moving on to the next one and repeating.

Great experience, but maybe work-life balance might be a struggle

Really supportive co-workers and management. However, need to give availability very early as they roster few weeks prior. This might affect a person's work-life balance.

lots of hours and great team.

Very friendly team, very welcoming and helpful, mangers seemed very judgemental they were still nice, but always felt if they were judging me a lot!..

Pros

Cons

bad communication

Fun workplace - lovely crew

Overall I loved working for Bigw, it was fun I enjoyed helping customers. Team member were really lovely, although I would have liked being trained in all areas of the business. Their wasn’t much fairness when it came to training and hours. Some people were trained more then others and some hadn’t way more hours.

Pros

Great crew, work life’s balance

Cons

short hours no training

Secure job in these insecure times

Fast paced work, never a dull moment. One of the few jobs that was not impacted employment wise by Cov-id 19. Must enjoy working with the public, both good and bad customer. Must have a thick skin to insults.

Good opportunity if you’re keen to work

As a +60 year old I was made redundant from a 30 year career. Getting the job at Big W was my saving grace. As a casual the pay isn’t great, BUT it helps me mentally - I can’t retire this early anyway! I would like to thank them for giving older workers a go 🙏🏻

Not enough shifts

Decent and easy work (picking online orders for customers) but rarely getting any shifts at all, only a few hours a week. People are overall quite chill to work with.

Pros

relaxed

Cons

no shifts

fine

this job was fine, have not got any shifts since the 9th apply for part time not casual work. this will mean u actually get shifts from work and be able to live with only this job

great place too work.

Great inclusive place too work. Everyone is nice because that is company's directive, and that's a good thing, too be accepted as you are gives people the space just to be themselves.

Pros

5% Discount

Cons

Irregular hours per week as a casual.

Decent for part time job while studying

it was alright, people were nice but kinda boring at times when it was quieter, can usually get shifts you want but there isn't really much room for progression

Would not recommend

No room for growth within companyOlder people are mean and cattyAs a casual shifts are super inconsistent, can work 45 hours one week and 0 the next

Pros

Pay and penalty rates are good Good people

great place to learn all aspects of the retail industry

Can become very busy especially during festive seasonlong periods standingmay not get break times due to being busyyou meet lots of people everyday

Pros

see new season fashions

Cons

long hrs on feet

No shifts

I loved working at Big W, but was only shifted on when they wanted me there, which was 1 day a week for 3/5 hours, waste of time honestly. I have 1 shift i do that im scheduled on for, then the rest of the week ive got to sit around my phone, hoping and praying i get an hour or 2. I feel more of a volunteer there, then a actual employee

Pros

Staff discount

Cons

No shifts, youre only shifted on when they want you to be there or to cover for someone else

Poor work environment

No work life balance, salary was different for each manager and bad talking was horrible I was crying and upset everyday going to work it honestly started my anxiety and depression

Pros

Discount Lovely people

Cons

Long hours Poor pay a manager No work life balance

Great job

Can be very stressful expected to do a 4 person job, they expect you to be able to give up having a life and working there 5/6 days week for 3/4hr a days, plus side was the team i worked with where fantastic, Had great leaders and Manager. THE biggest down fall for me at BigW was i could only get 16hr a week unfortunately I can't live off that.

Pros

Great team Great Manager Great leaders

Cons

Not enough hours Minimum wage Working a 4 person job Won't more hrs you need work more days, thats hard when your there already on day 6 a week

Average duties and jobs, never actually worked here long term. I've only worked here for work experience for 1 week and Big W has a variety of work around the stores. Career development is very limited as I see it.

Overall okay workplace, but demanded too much at times so could be stressful. Management wasn't good

Management didn't treat employees that well overall - didn't feel valued, expected too much, weren't understanding of personal issues interfering with my ability to work. The actual work was fine though, not too hard.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BIG W. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare BIG W with