Black Pepper
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Black Pepper Employee Reviews

Australia14 reviews
Work place culture good, team work supportive, marketing tools spot on. Continual store promotions makes days interesting. Managers days are easy compared to other companies in comparison. Replenishment levels sustainable. You really feel part of the company, con calls weekly, reports weekly, window changes easy, steaming of stock, visual standards high, manageable stock deliveries. Easy to manage the store and team overall with the support of a good AM.
Pros
Realistic store budgets, no excessive KPIs, loyal customer base, marketing excellent, support systems good in this company, no real pressure or excessive stress levels
Cons
Low pay structure, out ways work life balance
I enjoy working at Black Pepper. You should and need to have computer experience although they are willing to train . Rigid work hours on part time contract.
Good company. They have strong values and the people are very supportive. Strong team structure. I really enjoyed the time I worked as a manager for the company.
Pros
Nice company to work for
Cons
Non
black pepper as a company gave and encouraged you to use your skills and to move forward with what was happening with in season's trend, and i enjoyed to support adding to their charity.
Pros
self satisfaction in a job well done.
Cons
being left to learn new proceedures.
Look out if you have an opinion. The present management want people that will never question any command given. For example,
Managers are expected to do 10 hours per week without pay or time in lieu. Run Morning Tea events for customers using OUR own resources for example. No support from Upper Management and if they don't like you they make up stories to push you out. Work place culture DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO. The hardest part of the job is understanding management and what they want. The customers were the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Cons
Salary very low
The culture at Black Pepper is one of Nepotism.They like to employ YES people and if you have a different opinion they find ways to get you out. HR and Upper Management are good at Gas lighting. Communication is non existent from Head office Upper Management to Area Managers. Not a very nice company to work for. The pay is pathetic and they expect you to do a lot for nothing.The directives from Management is confusing and inconsistant.
Pros
The customers.
Cons
The pay scale
I enjoyed my job at Black Pepper. I gained a lot of valuable experience as i had been out of work due to family reasons for awhile. The company providing on going support and gave me the confidence i needed. I loved helping ladies pick out outfits that would suit the occasion or just for an update of their wardrobe.
I work with a great bunch of people. Been taught all aspects of retail and the managers job. The customers are lovely and always happy that we were able to help them with what they want
Good workplace.
Customers were older and enjoyed the spoiling we gave them.

The most enjoyable part of the job were the customers.

Management was helpful.

Learnt about the different brands and fabrics used in clothing.
Pros
Enjoyable workplace
Cons
Not enough hours
Helping Customers with excellent service, cleaning and keeping the shop tidy. The hardest part is sometimes it is very quiet and the mosst enjoyable part is the customers. They can be lovely
Pros
Good discount on clothes
Cons
Quiet at times
This company is a fun and safe working environment that i enjoy being employed at.

The team i work with are lovely and easy to work with.
Pros
Enjoyable enviroment
Cons
not enough hours
I have worked for this company for nearly 3 years and for most have found it has a good roster for Managers to have a work, life balance but I feel they fail when it comes to encouragement of staff. There are no rewards for exceeding budgets or in house value. For this I think it lets it staff down as they do not feel valued and there for loose interest.
Pros
Weekends at home
Cons
Not appreciative to any Managers.
Typical day included; opening the store, counting the float, setting up the displays.
Greeting customers and assisting with choice of garments, fabrics and styles.

Ordering stock from the warehouse.

When promotions were on, telling customers of the specials

Entering customer details for the database VIP cards.

Writing up banking or stock for returns.

Vacuuming and keeping the shop clean and tidy.

General ad hoc duties.

The most enjoyable part of the job was having happy regular customers and a good rapport.

The hardest part of the job was the irregular shifts and short notice work.

My co-workers were lovely and the management were fine.
Pros
Discount on clothing and merchandise
Cons
Lack of communication about changes in work availability
A typical day at Black Pepper is serving our lovely mature customers with our lovely clothes. Some customers are happy to browse whilst others seek my help outfitting them. I merchandise stock around the store. I take the initiative to change the "stories" around to refresh the racks creating more attention. I help the manager where needed. Once the customer is happy I process the sale using cash or EFTPOS for each purchase. I give the customer my personal attention throughout their visit. I don't need to be micromanaged as I take the initiative.

I have learnt when a customer is only too happy to browze and when a customer needs my help. I have learnt how to merchandise our stock to company standards, dress the mannequins and work independently. I am aware of company standards meeting my KPI's throughout my shift. I acted as manager for a period of three months. This entailed managing two staff members, rostering, merchandising and training staff, reports and liaising with my area manager. I have learnt a new computer system, transfers and receiving stock processes, company policies and procedures.

The management at Black Pepper are fantastic. Managers are always very positive and helpful. I regularly received positive feedback from the manager and area manager regarding my performance. It is a very happy and positive working environment.

I work well with my manager and co-workers to achieve good results. We all work as part of a team.

The hardest part of the job would be being disappointed if our store does not make budget for the week. I will work
 - more...
Pros
Great discount on clothes
Cons
Not getting enough hours