BlueScope

BlueScope Employee Reviews

Australia117 reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Monotonous

A good job if you are close to retirement. Mechanical trades will stagnate and gain no experience. If you are young go out and learn and earn. Come here when you've had enough.

Pros

Long Weekends

Cons

Long shifts

unprofessional management

management treat employees in a very unprofessional way. H.R department is so poorly run that with the last EA higher management employed a facilitator to do their job because they can't do it. if you get hurt at work they sack you because of the work injury and it's not your fault.

Pros

days off

Cons

cold nights

Very rewarding

A challenge but can be very rewarding if you want to multi skill yourself.very active work place in regards to for filling the local building industries.

Best Job ever. Highly recommended.

I enjoyed my time there. The people who I worked with and job variety made it. Flexible hours great parking. Just off the M1. Uniform if you prefer. Sadly I was made redundant.

Pros

Social

Cons

Made redundant

Ok

Not bad but never get off casual even after a few years. Full timers that are there take it easy knowing they have job security while casuals work hard for no job security

Pros

Decent hours. Ok pay

Cons

Will never hire full time

Overall not a bad place to work got on well with the other workers

Overall not a bad place to work, got on well with the other workers and office staff. Manager is easy to get along with. Supervisor can be quite overbearing.

Fun team

Could have worked there longer but the hours of work got redused to the point where I couldnt afford to pay may bills and weekly expenses. Lots of other casual workers who have been there long than me have left to find work with more hours weekly.

everyone should be treated equally

There should be the same opportunity's for everyone there, everyone should be treated equally. Work place culture needs a lot of work. The hardest part of the job was for the employees that have been there a long time can sometimes be not very welcoming only some of them. Most enjoyable part of the job was just learning something i had never thought i would get the chance to do.

Fun and relax

People are easy to get along and respectful. I have trouble speaking in english since its not my first language yet people were helping me to communicate. Work is fair, not too busy. Work life balance is good!

Equal opportunity workplace which enables career development

I worked at BlueScope for almost 10 years, was treated fairly and was able to advance through my career. I started as a level 1 ironworker and finished as a level 3 and moved on to a health and safety role within the company. I was treated respectfully and given my own workspace. I highly recommend working with this company.

Maintenace and shutdown work.

As a fitter at BlueScope some days were spent doing maintenance work and some days were spent doing shutdown work as a fitter. The management were friendly and helpful.

Best experience of my life.

Best fellow workers that I have ever worked with.busy but consistent.The bosses really looked after you. I learned organize my time to get more product out the door.

Pros

Fellow workmates always watched each others backs.

Cons

Kept running out of jobs to do &had to look for more.

production cleaner

Good company to work for I was sub contractor on site 12 yrs workplace started to get stressful when caught in middle of issues in their workplace blame game all respect lost and cardinal rules only protect bluescopes employees write a book lol

Productive workplace

It was alright working there besides the long drive there. It was quiet. Not much to do. Alot of standing around doing nothing Sometimes they were too quiet

Thought they were a great company to work for until I worked for them lol.

I was excited to work there but extremely slow production line and was let go three weeks shy of being made permanent because on my break I took a nap and I was told I needed to manage my fatigue better. Mind you, we were doing 12 hour back to back shifts from 7pm to 7am and I was six months pregnant. My colleagues and supervisors used to have a little power nap in their breaks and I only learnt from the people training me that this was acceptable to do as I said I was on my break after all so I did not think this was an issue. We were not allowed to leave site on breaks either and had to get approval from management even on day shift if we wanted to go buy our lunch and would have to leave site to do so. Further to that, the permanent staff were given permission to go outside the gate on their breaks and have their cigarettes but the casuals were told that they were not allowed to smoke on site and nor were they permitted to go outside the gate (on their break) to have a cigarette, to do so would cause instant dismissal.

Great remuneration job

Working at Bluescope steel is good for anyone. Remuneration is very good and the work place is also extremely good as well. I learnt lot of different skill while I worked there

good clean work place

fun,fun,fun,money,money..good job. enjoy every day with good work mates.. my dad worked there also for 20 years. alot of the men i worked with have all died.

Workplace

The co-workers on the crew became your family as you were spending at least 12 hour shifts tonight, during shift work and i really enjoyed it. The only problem was being such a HUGE place everyone would gossip and make many rumours up.

Pros

Amazing friends

Cons

Unorganized

Workplace.

The work was easy once you knew the job, but some higher level staff were quite rude. But overall most people make the place enjoyable. Good money, very good OH&S.

cut throat

If you are not related to the right people it makes no difference how hard you work you will be looked over and/or axed, there is an extremely high staff turnover

good company to work for

good company to work for good people pay well very safety orientated company varied work good Australian company constant change is sometimes very hard to implement to staff

Pros

good wages

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BlueScope. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• BlueScope