BlueScope
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

BlueScope Employee Reviews

Australia113 reviews
Not bad but never get off casual even after a few years. Full timers that are there take it easy knowing they have job security while casuals work hard for no job security
Pros
Decent hours. Ok pay
Cons
Will never hire full time
i worked for Bluescope for many years and one day at work i got hurt. i reported my injury to my supervisor when it happen but they rejected my claim.After many years fighting justice they sacked me for a work injury that was there fault.I was threatened and black mailed by the H.R department to sign legal documents illegal. Bluescope is the most unprofessional and dishonest company i have ever worked for.
Pros
days off
Cons
cold nights
Overall not a bad place to work, got on well with the other workers and office staff. Manager is easy to get along with. Supervisor can be quite overbearing.
Could have worked there longer but the hours of work got redused to the point where I couldnt afford to pay may bills and weekly expenses.
Lots of other casual workers who have been there long than me have left to find work with more hours weekly.
There should be the same opportunity's for everyone there, everyone should be treated equally.
Work place culture needs a lot of work.

The hardest part of the job was for the employees that have been there a long time can sometimes be not very welcoming only some of them.

Most enjoyable part of the job was just learning something i had never thought i would get the chance to do.
People are easy to get along and respectful. I have trouble speaking in english since its not my first language yet people were helping me to communicate.
Work is fair, not too busy. Work life balance is good!
I worked at BlueScope for almost 10 years, was treated fairly and was able to advance through my career. I started as a level 1 ironworker and finished as a level 3 and moved on to a health and safety role within the company. I was treated respectfully and given my own workspace.
I highly recommend working with this company.
As a fitter at BlueScope some days were spent doing maintenance work and some days were spent doing shutdown work as a fitter. The management were friendly and helpful.
Best fellow workers that I have ever worked with.busy but consistent.The bosses really looked after you. I learned organize my time to get more product out the door.
Pros
Fellow workmates always watched each others backs.
Cons
Kept running out of jobs to do &had to look for more.
Good company to work for I was sub contractor on site 12 yrs workplace started to get stressful when caught in middle of issues in their workplace blame game all respect lost and cardinal rules only protect bluescopes employees write a book lol
It was alright working there besides the long drive there.

It was quiet.

Not much to do.

Alot of standing around doing nothing

Sometimes they were too quiet
I was excited to work there but extremely slow production line and was let go three weeks shy of being made permanent because on my break I took a nap and I was told I needed to manage my fatigue better. Mind you, we were doing 12 hour back to back shifts from 7pm to 7am and I was six months pregnant. My colleagues and supervisors used to have a little power nap in their breaks and I only learnt from the people training me that this was acceptable to do as I said I was on my break after all so I did not think this was an issue. We were not allowed to leave site on breaks either and had to get approval from management even on day shift if we wanted to go buy our lunch and would have to leave site to do so. Further to that, the permanent staff were given permission to go outside the gate on their breaks and have their cigarettes but the casuals were told that they were not allowed to smoke on site and nor were they permitted to go outside the gate (on their break) to have a cigarette, to do so would cause instant dismissal.
Working at Bluescope steel is good for anyone. Remuneration is very good and the work place is also extremely good as well. I learnt lot of different skill while I worked there
fun,fun,fun,money,money..good job. enjoy every day with good work mates.. my dad worked there also for 20 years. alot of the men i worked with have all died.
The co-workers on the crew became your family as you were spending at least 12 hour shifts tonight, during shift work and i really enjoyed it.
The only problem was being such a HUGE place everyone would gossip and make many rumours up.
Pros
Amazing friends
Cons
Unorganized
The work was easy once you knew the job, but some higher level staff were quite rude. But overall most people make the place enjoyable. Good money, very good OH&S.
If you are not related to the right people it makes no difference how hard you work you will be looked over and/or axed, there is an extremely high staff turnover
good company to work for good people pay well very safety orientated company

varied work good Australian company

constant change is sometimes very hard to implement to staff
Pros
good wages
Cons
Really enjoy working at the WA Service Centre. Healthy office culture. Not too many politics. A bit removed from main manufacturing centre. This has good and bad things associated with it.
Good pay, great family/life balance. Work is fairly easy, but can be mundane. Process driven positions, which can sometimes do not allow walking away from.
In a typical day at work, your team greets and assists you in fulfilling your operational as well as strategic targets for the day. The management is incredibly welcoming with a huge emphasis placed on making employees feel welcomed from the get-go. The hardest part about the job was not feeling challenged enough whilst the most enjoyable part was the flexibility on offer at BSL.