BlueScope Employee Reviews

Great Place
Team Leader, OHES Officer (Former Employee) –  Perth WA16 May 2018
I worked for Bluescope for 35 years, great company to work for and family supportive. the people are friendly and great to work with.
good pathways to move up the ladder
Pros
good career pathing
Cons
no cons
Great crew of workmates
Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Eastern Suburbs VIC18 March 2018
Chopped and changed with no reason for example even the startup toolbox meetings could not be decided on the location by the ever changing management it seemed to be only wanting to justify there position (that went down the ladder to supervisers/team leaders) resulting in a confused and stress sutup. This of course filtered to stressing all.The chop and change way caused many mistakes which resulted in a "blame game mentality"or "us against them". Probably a clear example was going for the Xmas shutdown period which for years had some food or a couple of hampers up for winning in a raffle and even a small ($20) gift card jesture to not even a five cent Xmas card each. Not good for moral !!
Pros
Most of my workmates
Cons
The decision makers not listening to who they should be (common theme).
Best Experience
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AU15 March 2018
In assisting my mother in her full-time job at BlueScope Cafe; I experienced in handling a cash register and serving a large amount of customers. Like so, I experienced producing multiple types of coffee under busy conditions.
Over the one month period in assisting I developed many skills and had an overall enjoyable time doing so.
Pros
Enjoyable
Cons
Not an employee :(
work was ok
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Hastings VIC4 March 2018
worked for bluescope for many years started good in early years but did change over the years with strikes and eventully being made redundant glad to leave
Pros
cheap steel
Cons
shift work
not much fun
Maintenance fitter (Former Employee) –  Western Australia31 January 2018
bad x-mas party for workers . never seen the boss .no communication with management about better work envirement. some real good work mates, tried to keep the work force together.
Steel Manufacturing
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Chullora NSW3 January 2018
Teem work i am 21 year work in this place iam doing teem leader job now. Steel manufacturing . noe i look after wherhouse .Hear i work with mix nationalty people.
very good company
overhead crane driver (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW14 December 2017
very good company and good staff and good manager and site supervisor lots off safety thing and they look after over employ as well and best think was good pay and good hours
Cons
High regard for staff and safety...
Forklift/Crane driver (Former Employee) –  Acacia Ridge QLD29 November 2017
This job was one of the most enjoyable company I had ever worked for since immigrating from New Zealand, their scope on safety was very essential to the running of the company, from the CEO down to the supervisors, we were all treated as equals, sharing ideas and concerns with the daily running of the machines and mobile equipment, the hardest part of the job was getting used to the heat during the summer, even tho we had industrial fans running most of the time, it was still hot, it would take someone at least 3 to 6 months or more to get to know most of the workers their having a rotating shift roster for the three different crews running each shift, so , in saying all that, my time working at the Acacia Ridge, Bluescope Steel site in Lysaght street, was very rewarding and enlightening as I drew some of ideas I learned and incorporated them in to my own lifestyle, so, thanks guys it was awsome...
Pros
Mateship and job security
Cons
the summer...
Good people, interesting work
Solution Architect and Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Mt Waverley VIC7 November 2017
The company has come through some hard times but is now on a firm footing and able to undertake new interesting projects. They have good people with a strong desire to achieve.
Hectic place to work but good crew of people, diverse range of jobs.
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wangara WA24 October 2017
Worked for Bluescope as a casual and because of this I found working for them excellent at first but the longer I was there the more frustrated I got with the lack of desire on their part to make it a permanent position.
Pros
Good Hours 6am - 2pm
Cons
Lack of job security.
productive and enjoyable
Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  RAIL TERMINAL HEASLIP ROAD EDINBOROUGH12 October 2017
Cultural diverse employer policies and orocedures in place making work place a dynamic and exciting employer with outstanding oppurtunitys for advancement
Pros
1 Hour lunch
Cons
Too long days
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Port Kembla NSW22 August 2017
The management at Bluescope Steel were amazing, They have very high standards of safety and Personal Protective Equipment is a must within the workplace to ensure the safety of everyone.
Pros
lunch bus
Cons
long hours sitting down
Port Kembla - Team Leader, Maintenance worker (Former Employee) –  Wollongong NSW16 June 2017
Reliable and adaptable General Labor worker with an agreeable disposition and a stellar customer service ethic. Adept multitasker with abilities to handle a number of workplace responsibilities with accuracy and efficiency. Wide experience in a variety of types of physical labor.
Robust physical stamina for performing strenuous and repetitive tasks .
High ability to follow written and oral instructions
Strong basic mathematical skills
Excellent grasp of safety guidelines for a variety of job contexts
Good oral and written communication abilities.
Pros
Performed janitorial and painting work
Cons
Changed light bulbs
Fun place to work with friendly staff.
Accounts Payable Officer (Former Employee) –  Port Adelaide SA13 June 2017
Each and every day comes with a new challenge and am always ready for any. Each company taught a lesson on how team work improves our motivation, performance and appreciate multi-cultural values. I believe to enjoy each and every day as am ready for any challenge as nothing is easy or hard, once we face it all goes well in the end..
Pros
Free tea breaks and lunch
Standard
Despatch Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Wangara WA12 June 2017
Good work place if this is the type of industry that interests you. Reputable company that's wants to see you progress. Opportunity to do so in a number of ways.
Enjoyable place to work.
Machine operator /Storeperson (Former Employee) –  Eagle Farm Brisbane30 April 2017
I worked onsite there for over 25 years and found it to be both challenging and rewarding. I was skilled in numerous machines and was therefore given the opportunity to become a trainer to teach new employees. I enjoyed my time there and was sad to move on.
Pros
Good work crew
Cons
Distance from home
Progressive, sustainable, inclusive.
Operations Manager - Sheet Metal Supplies (Current Employee) –  Brisabne , Queensland11 March 2017
A business on the whole that values its people. Has a clear direction and looks to the long term. Senior management have made significant decisions that aim to ensure the longevity of the business and returns to shareholders.
Was a nice Job
Internal Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Auburn NSW26 November 2016
Management where very nice and easy to work with .
Training was great
Nice work environment
Was a great Job .
Was to bad we got made Redundant .
Would work there again
Pros
Heaps of training
Cons
Was made redundant
evidence based
Health & Safety Integration Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Perth WA16 September 2016
BlueScope have a lot of areas that they need to work through. Particularly with safety. Their was strong evidence that safety was not at the top of their priority. I was limited in what I was able to do because of my roll. Although I was honest and had the respect of all the work as they could see I was working to keep them safe I fought a battle with my manager.

The need to build good management verses workers relationship and be honest and more transparent with the workers.
Pros
low moral
Cons
excellent friendship made
Neat ledger,customer service,team work.
Credit Controller (Former Employee) –  Mt Waverley VIC1 June 2016
The most fulfilling part of my journey at Bluescope was striving to have a neat ledger.

Interaction with sales staff & customers was very benificial.

I expanded my knowledge in credit by working as a team with my fellow co-workers.
Pros
Enjoyed speaking to customers.My own lunch break.
Cons
Lots of work safe meetings, that really was applicable to physical labour

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BlueScope. Our community is ready to answer.