Boart Longyear
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Boart Longyear Employee Reviews

Australia30 reviews
Some good managers, good constant work when things are good, overall thanks Boart, good training and safety culture. I feel the management when heading towards the development of new rigs should have perhaps listened to the more senior drillers rather than just heading with the engineers ideas, I think this may have been a hugh part of the downturn in WA iron ore contracts.
Pros
Mostly good people
Cons
Honest good work culture
Fast paced warehouse team environment
Approachable management

High level of safety culture

Ongoing training - including manual handling, first aid, preventing workplace harasment etc

I enjoyed my time at Boart Longyear and developed many skills
The closed forrestfield (WA) office was ruled by one south Asian nationality. others will not simply survive there. Options are that you either join them or suffer and be gone.
Pros
Cons
Every negative thing that co-operate environment can offer.
Working at Boart Longyear with a good salary and excellent working environment. They give you the chance for continued development of my career. My contribution was valued. The challenges I have taken out being newly hired was proved my skills and potentials for planning and scheduling. I have gain additional skills, experience and software.
Pros
salary increase, inter state and overseas travel, training and new software, flexible time
Working at Boart Long year at Olympic Dam was least than appealing. they so far behind on KPA's. Utes are always breaking down almost one a day. People smoke underground and when it is unventilated it is unpleasent. you required to have lunch in the crib room due to inhaling radioactive dust, only one driller trook it on my swing they all just want to drill. they shake core out manually and if it gets stuck well that is it. You hunched over because everything you work with is at knee height ie washing core, shaking core out. If you want a bad back I thoroughly recommend this place. when I was working there it $429 dollars a shift (casual). Senior Driller was $550 an hour and that was full time.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Extremely Hard work because you hunched over all the time and long hours
Great mates, get to travel around Australia. Overseas is even an option. Learn mechanical skills, get put through training and achieve great experiences
Pros
Frequent flyer points!
Cons
Long and costly flights.
Unfortunately senior management didn't seem to manage a down turn in the exploration drilling very well, very large debts accumulated and the senior management kept changing personnel, CEOs seemed to come and go with massive remuneration packages leaving more and more mess at each change.
If this company was Australian owned it would be a top company. It is a shame that the incompetent Americans have so much pull. I hope the company pulls out of its financial predicament.
Pros
Great Compensation and Australian based team
Cons
American Incompetence
its not what you know its who you know in this company, found it hard to get a long with some of the crew, there was a lot of talking behide other peoples backs and just wasnt a good work place.
Pros
good money
Cons
still have a lot of cowboys
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Boart Longyear?
The people there where fantastic and you got well paid for the hard work you put in. A typical day was up and ready by 430am to make a meeting by 530am then drilling operations from 6 to 6pm then back to camp.
The job and how is fairly demanding and pushes one to new limits working long hours in remote locations. Unfortunately some drillers are real old school and ruin the fun.
Pros
one get to travel a lot
Cons
long days paid flat rate
Every shift starts with a safety meeting . The management is very focused on safety issues that make the crews develop a safe work attitude at the job site. production too was good as supervisors were very much supportive to the crews.
I only worked for them for a few months, my first trip away we were at Cockatoo Island in the north west near Derby it was hot and humid and hard work. I was working on a new sonic rig that was different. and we were drilling with the tides so odd hours etc.
then we went to Newman and it was hot hard work there also.
Pros
chance to learn a new roll
Cons
long way from home
No longer work for them

Demanding,for ever changing

never planned. maintenance.

Too many Bosses

Good workshop teams when i was there

To many un predictable problems

always cut costs but still had to fix somehow

was turning corner from re active to planned maintenance.
Pros
resonable pay and good training
Cons
Too many bosses each wanting there peice
Things have changed significantly over the years. Great training opportunities as well as travelling the world on their dime.
Typical day begins at 06:00 with safety meeting and outline of program for the shift. Rest of day requires management of crews and operations including completion of previous days records being compiled and emailed to head office.
Skills refined while working at Boart Longyear include computer use and remote area logistics including planning of crew rosters and FIFO crew changes.

Management generally good but at times a little out of touch with some areas of field operations.

Co-workers at most times were extremely co-operative and receptive to directives and operational advice.

The hardest part of the job there was the shortage of qualified operators in an industry boom and trying to be in a lot of places at one time to assist them all.

The most enjoyable part of the role was watching people develop as well as the excellent work/ leisure balance.
Pros
Management very proactive in regard to employee training and development of skills
Cons
Lack of good comunications in remote areas.
Was fortunate enough to work on the deeper hole drilling rigs and in challenging ground. RC and diamond drilling with the deep hole stuff including wedging and navi drilling. Also got to do some underground drilling. I say drilling bliss in my summary as we had all the good and up and coming products from the Boart Longyear factory including the latest underground drilling rigs.
Didn't see the upper-management as I was mostly in the field but the supervisors were very knowledgeable and were willing to share their experiences with me.

The hardest part of the jobs I was the ability to keep in contact with my family. Mobile phone coverage and communications back in then was not as good as it is now. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people and still to this day I tend to gravitate towards the drillers in a room full of people. And it is interesting to see how the personalities have changed. Drillers used to be quite abrupt and rowdy. Now they are into fitness and are reserved and very professional people.
Pros
A drive to reach targets and drilling companies set the bar the level of safety required, Drillers go that one step further when it comes to safety.
Cons
At the time the ability to communicate with family was not good.
Boart Long Year is good company , it is one of the most reputable drilling company that provides drilling services globally.They give us good compensation . We consider for everybody’s safety at all times when commencing work and we abide the rules and regulations provided by the company.

We assist and do the preparations of equipment machine and accessories before and during mobilization

We care for the environment .

The hardest part of the job is during preparation and mobilization.

When the machines are already set up and doing productions , I find this as the most enjoyable part of the job .
Pros
Free Accommodation, Free Round Trip Air Fares, Free transportation from home to Air Port
enjoyed the diversity in work in different job localities.
hardest part long hours.

involved in new part of electrical industry.

great blokes to work with.

management ok.
Pros
travel
Cons
accomodation
Morning prestarts then drilled until end of shift. It can be a very physical job at times. Most enjoyable part of the job would be drilling creamy ground.
Traveling around Australia for work would most likely be the best experience of a lifetime, although management was a big issue in some ares the work crews were always fun and the overall environment was great
Pros
Travelling
Cons
management and future