BOURKE STREET BAKERY

12: BOURKE STREET BAKERY Employee Reviews

Australia12 reviews

3.1Work–Life Balance

Poor Management

The management was always disrespectful and unkind and never made any of the workers feel as if their positions at their job were wanted or respected. When I tried to bring up these issues they were never taken seriously

Still waiting on pay

Did a trial here and in the first week was already expected to work an extra day unpaid due to staff shortages on top of already terrible pay. My second week I was sent to work at Bread and butter where they sent me home after 6 hours because of my appearance. I still have not been paid for this shift. Avoid at all costs!

Fun and cool culture

You will feel supported and safe with your job, there is always space for pick up extra shifts in different stores. Great xmas parties. It’s very good pay too and you can choose with shop you want to work at as there is 12 in Sydney. It gets little repetitive, but I did loved it . Every store is different some quite some very busy. But I haven’t experienced many understaffed days, which is important for me. It’s easy

Pros

Free food

Cons

Too many annoying little things

stress, not enough staff and lack of organisation is part of your shift every day, they don't have enough staff since before the pandemic and even during the pandemic, they lose staff because people is not happy working there. they don't pay too much and they are expecting that people do extra time without previous advice and if you can't they get upset etc.

High management turnover leads to unfortunate company culture

My experience here was one of consistent management turnover — the store that I was at had about 2-3 managers per year. This led to high employee turnover and a lack of consistency between management, whose attitude and practises would impact your experience as an employee completely. Having worked at multiple locations, I experienced firsthand the difference a manager would make to the employee and store culture. Despite working here for multiple years, I had to continually ask in order to be trained in skills such as coffee, store opening, and cash up — managers didn't want to teach you unless you had plenty of availability, and I was shut down multiple times before a management change allowed me to be trained. HR was unfortunately no help. I was turned away when expressing concern about my lack of training, and ignored completely when I brought management practises to light which were the cause of my eventual resignation. Working physically in the store was a mixed bag. Shifts were often very early (which may work for some), physically demanding, and I'd always come home smelling like yeast. I endured burns of varying severity despite always being careful, and was often told to run it under water for a few minutes before getting back to work. As expected in most customer-facing jobs, some were lovely, others could make you cry. Overall I had a negative experience over a few years at this job, which was unfortunate and could have been easily remedied by higher-ups.

wouldn't recommend working here to anyone

Constant changing of management and staff with no proper training. Upper management is extremely out of touch and care more about making a quick buck over their employees job security and well being. Stayed open during both lockdowns and provided no support for employees who were forced to work in unsafe conditions with understaffing and reduced hours. The entire culture has changed here and it's extremely toxic. This place has absolute horror stories, do yourself a favour and work somewhere else.

Pros

free coffee and bread

Cons

understaffing, no training, unsafe work practices, toxic culture, underpaying

wonderful teams, very supportive environement

helpful managers strong team dynamics good training career progression very fast pace during busy periods (morning & lunch) good pay approachable owners

very good company.

I regret leaving Bourke street bakery. the staff, owners and customers were all welcoming, encouraging and lovely. I would recommend any one working here.

Good for starter

Management sucks...in other word has no management no employee evalauation and apprisal procedure.No career development oppertunity. Good place if you are smart enough and should be buttery to chef .Most important Boss likes Backbitting other co-worker.

fun to work

busy environment. you really need to be very fast to work here. pastries and foods are really good. everything is daily fresh. staffs are really friendly and good customer service.

Bsb

I have enjoyed working at Bourke Street Bakery over the years. There is a really positive sustainable focus, and good products. I love the coffee and bread.

Pros

Free Lunches

Cons

early starts

fun place to work but stressful

it was a great place to work at but it got really busy as well and stressful

Pros

free lunch and take home left overs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BOURKE STREET BAKERY. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare BOURKE STREET BAKERY with

Learn about BOURKE STREET BAKERY in popular locations

• BOURKE STREET BAKERY
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?