Brisbane City Council Employee Reviews

Great team efforts
Asset Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD23 January 2019
Great place to work, Team efforts, TOIL, Work/Life balance all these aspects were a plus for Brisbane City Council. I found it difficult to apply for job vacancies as contractor I was unable to apply for many positions due to advertising for internal only can apply.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Difficult for promotions
Admin Trainee
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD16 December 2018
Basic reception duties, no interest in skill development as turnover is continuous due to govt funding payment. repetitive work, often in reception area. Dumb rules like you can't drink your coffee at reception desk :-(
Pros
Nice offices
Cons
Micro management by Team Leader and Senior. No job security at end of traineeship, not always a job on offer after graduation, jobs often go to family/mates and not opened up to equal opportunities, nepotism is rife as is the workplace bullying.
Not a fun place to work
Property Manager/ Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Queensland25 November 2018
No opportunities for women to advance. As a woman you have to consistently work harder for longer hours for any sort of recognition.

No one is interested in new ideas.
Pros
Well paid.
Cons
Bullying rampant.
Productive Workplace
PERSONAL ASSISTANT Band (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD7 January 2019
A typical day at work consists of attending meetings (Project Executive Group, Project Control Group, Weekly Team Meetings) & raising purchase orders, accounts receivable, good recording keeping system, preparing powerpoints, preparing reports, HR matters including preparing delegations, filing etc. I learnt excellent time management skills. I enjoyed the workplace values of Council such as working together.
Pros
Working together
Cons
Nil
great job working out doors just bad management
master 4/med 3 (Former Employee) –  Brisbane Central Business District QLD4 September 2018
8 to 10 hours a day driving citycats,runing crew,refueling,water and sullaging.safety checks.continuosly dealing with the general public with all sorts of problems from medical emergencies to man over board to helping with old and mentally impaired people to engineering and electrical problems to avoiding debrie in the river.when it all comes together it is a very rewarding job,especially saving peoples lives.
Pros
great people to work with.
Cons
poor management at times.
Good and bad, some excellent people work there
Senior Finance Officer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD27 August 2018
Difficult to review as such a large organisation, so many of the pros and cons are dependant on the area you are employed. Long term difficulties with changes to the workplace has impacted on the culture.
Pros
Superannuation
Productive and interesting environment
Administration Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Brisbane CBD27 August 2018
I loved working at Brisbane City Council, I had the pleasure of meeting very pleasant and interesting people and enjoyed the various roles while I was there.
Pros
Ammenities
Cons
Train travel
Enjoyed my time there
BUS OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD16 July 2018
Table tennis table indeed. Rest room. Canteen. Good facilities. Library. Gym.
Depending on your shift roster - some better that others. Learned a lot about myself and my capabilities. Enjoyed time with other members. Hardest part working difficult shifts or having difficult passengers. Incredible sunsets and sunrises - does that count? Great team of other operators.
Good company to work for.
Safety and Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Sherwood and Willawong Depots. Brisbane31 May 2017
I performed several courses and furthered my skills when employed by Brisbane Transport. I was employed by Brisbane Transport for 26 years and happy for most of the time.
Pros
Good Management.
Cons
long hours at times. Salary wage rather than paid for hours etc.
Great team environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD5 July 2017
BCC was a great call centre to work at. The CEO and management team believed in its purpose, and its staff, and ensured we had everything that we needed to succeed in a busy, sometimes thankless work environment.
Pros
Great staff benefits
Cons
abuse from customers on occasion.
Productive with career progression potentials
CDW Technical Consultant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD15 June 2016
Check the status and progress of nightly runs
Check the reports
Update the database
Management - should be better. Their decision making is a little political.
Hardest part is to really blend with the wide range of colleague
The most enjoyable part is to make a delivery of new products and the rectification of the issues
Pros
Security, career progression, benefits
Cons
Political influence, negative and biased decisions on the enhancements
Good work life balance and great environment.
Payroll Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Fortitude Valley10 February 2015
BCC is a good employer offering a great work life balance. Benefits such as staff gym are great as is the flexible working hours.
Flexible work options, fun co-workers, ongoing support
Various - most recent Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane Square, 266 George Street, Brisbane17 October 2012
Comfortable work environment
A typical day was sitting at a desk on the computer with loads of paperwork to process, emails to check, respond to and send
Telephone calls received and diverted to appropriate officer
Printing, photocopying and scanning
I had the opportunity to perform numerous roles, learning new programs, systems and skills
To secure a permanent position
Good salary/benefits and a wellness centre available to use each workday.
Pros
use of wellness centre and flex days
Cons
limited training when moving into a new branch, role.
Labourer
Utilities Labourer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD14 March 2018
my first introduction into water utilities which I enjoyed, installed water meters, repaired water leaks then was involved in the construction and installation of water mains, valve installation etc.
Mostly a good place to work with some good people
Counter Officer & Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Toowong, Virginia, and Willawong Bus Depot's17 October 2017
Dealing with drivers issues they face on a day to day situation processing revenue takings and performance managing bus operators. Learnt how to deal and understand different driver personalities some operators have the idea of them and us situation this is the hardest ingrained habit to break down as this has become an ingrained culture. the enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction that you have assisted a driver in need with a change of shift or offering them a different roster type of work.
Pros
Secure employment
Cons
Poor work life balance
Workplace is really cool with amazing city view
Service Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD29 October 2017
I have been working with Council since last 4 years as a contractor. People over here are really cool and fun-loving. They really believe in maintaining a work life balance including for the contractors who work under them
Ever changing goal posts
Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD21 January 2017
Great team mates however management not so much. Being field & office based was a nice mix. Customer interactions could vary greatly dependent on the circumstances. Workplace culture was always one of uncertainty, constant pressure to meet KPI's
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
Changing goal posts, People who are willing to make a name for themselves on the bones of others, Promoting people who do not know the job.
Great environment to work - good people
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD14 January 2018
I was a rrelief Team Leader for aa seconded position, initally for3 months, but was extended to almost 3 years. The council outsourced its ICT operations overseas leading to the termination of my contract. I was responsible for the daily/nightly operations of my staff and the data centre.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Insecure
Great experience
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD9 January 2018
Great experience to be a Customer service officer with sia team.
working & patrolling the building with a great team members was a very enjoyable experience
Transition Manager (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD11 October 2017
Brisbane City Council is made up of an amazing group of individuals who all work together to get the job done. They strive to help each other out and the management is very supportive.