Brisbane City Council Employee Reviews

Long hours fair pay. Not what it used be as bad public behaviour made it uncomfortable in latter years!
BUS OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Willawong QLD12 April 2019
Started as a bus operator with Brisbane Transport at their Willawong Depot after successfully completing training. In addition to this I also took on role of Workplace Health and Safety Representative .
Competent in -
• Brisbane Transport's policies and procedures
• Electronic ticketing
• Customer service
• Route training
• Bus service routes
• WHS Duties for depot staff and operators
Pros
Good training and support
Cons
Occasional bad customer interaction on night shift on the rise!
Fantastic Employment
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Queensland28 January 2019
Was interesting and great mateship in company.
They had good training Courses if you needed them.
Very understanding of the publics needs but also very understanding of employees needs.
Great pleasure working for them.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Long Hours
Great team efforts
Asset Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD23 January 2019
Great place to work, Team efforts, TOIL, Work/Life balance all these aspects were a plus for Brisbane City Council. I found it difficult to apply for job vacancies as contractor I was unable to apply for many positions due to advertising for internal only can apply.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Difficult for promotions
Productive Workplace
PERSONAL ASSISTANT Band (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD7 January 2019
A typical day at work consists of attending meetings (Project Executive Group, Project Control Group, Weekly Team Meetings) & raising purchase orders, accounts receivable, good recording keeping system, preparing powerpoints, preparing reports, HR matters including preparing delegations, filing etc. I learnt excellent time management skills. I enjoyed the workplace values of Council such as working together.
Pros
Working together
Cons
Nil
Admin Trainee
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD16 December 2018
Basic reception duties, no interest in skill development as turnover is continuous due to govt funding payment. repetitive work, often in reception area. Dumb rules like you can't drink your coffee at reception desk :-(
Pros
Nice offices
Cons
Micro management by Team Leader and Senior. No job security at end of traineeship, not always a job on offer after graduation, jobs often go to family/mates and not opened up to equal opportunities, nepotism is rife as is the workplace bullying.
Not a fun place to work
Property Manager/ Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Queensland25 November 2018
No opportunities for women to advance. As a woman you have to consistently work harder for longer hours for any sort of recognition.

No one is interested in new ideas.
Pros
Well paid.
Cons
Bullying rampant.
great job working out doors just bad management
master 4/med 3 (Former Employee) –  Brisbane Central Business District QLD4 September 2018
8 to 10 hours a day driving citycats,runing crew,refueling,water and sullaging.safety checks.continuosly dealing with the general public with all sorts of problems from medical emergencies to man over board to helping with old and mentally impaired people to engineering and electrical problems to avoiding debrie in the river.when it all comes together it is a very rewarding job,especially saving peoples lives.
Pros
great people to work with.
Cons
poor management at times.
Good and bad, some excellent people work there
Senior Finance Officer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD27 August 2018
Difficult to review as such a large organisation, so many of the pros and cons are dependant on the area you are employed. Long term difficulties with changes to the workplace has impacted on the culture.
Pros
Superannuation
Productive and interesting environment
Administration Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Brisbane CBD27 August 2018
I loved working at Brisbane City Council, I had the pleasure of meeting very pleasant and interesting people and enjoyed the various roles while I was there.
Pros
Ammenities
Cons
Train travel
Enjoyed my time there
BUS OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD16 July 2018
Table tennis table indeed. Rest room. Canteen. Good facilities. Library. Gym.
Depending on your shift roster - some better that others. Learned a lot about myself and my capabilities. Enjoyed time with other members. Hardest part working difficult shifts or having difficult passengers. Incredible sunsets and sunrises - does that count? Great team of other operators.
Labourer
Utilities Labourer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD14 March 2018
my first introduction into water utilities which I enjoyed, installed water meters, repaired water leaks then was involved in the construction and installation of water mains, valve installation etc.
Great environment to work - good people
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD14 January 2018
I was a rrelief Team Leader for aa seconded position, initally for3 months, but was extended to almost 3 years. The council outsourced its ICT operations overseas leading to the termination of my contract. I was responsible for the daily/nightly operations of my staff and the data centre.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Insecure
Great experience
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD9 January 2018
Great experience to be a Customer service officer with sia team.
working & patrolling the building with a great team members was a very enjoyable experience
Workplace is really cool with amazing city view
Service Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD29 October 2017
I have been working with Council since last 4 years as a contractor. People over here are really cool and fun-loving. They really believe in maintaining a work life balance including for the contractors who work under them
Very hard dirty work
Body Builder (Former Employee) –  Brisbane Central Business District QLD22 October 2017
A day in the council was to starting with a bus chassis and by the end of the month have a fully finished bus that was ready to serve the public . Knowing how to weld, Read plans, Organize parts for the day, Fill in work sheet for my staff in my section, Meet time dead lines
Pros
Free transporrt
Mostly a good place to work with some good people
Counter Officer & Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Toowong, Virginia, and Willawong Bus Depot's17 October 2017
Dealing with drivers issues they face on a day to day situation processing revenue takings and performance managing bus operators. Learnt how to deal and understand different driver personalities some operators have the idea of them and us situation this is the hardest ingrained habit to break down as this has become an ingrained culture. the enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction that you have assisted a driver in need with a change of shift or offering them a different roster type of work.
Pros
Secure employment
Cons
Poor work life balance
Transition Manager (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD11 October 2017
Brisbane City Council is made up of an amazing group of individuals who all work together to get the job done. They strive to help each other out and the management is very supportive.
My first experience in the workforce
RECORDS CLERK (Former Employee) –  BRISBANE CITY COUNCIL14 September 2017
Worked indoors as a junior clerk, internal filing and systems related to brisbane city council. This was my first job after leaving school in adelaide and moving to brisbane
Pros
Being indoors, Good working hours
Cons
Lack of opportunity for advancement
Its fun and productive to work and a safe invironment
Bus operator (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD7 September 2017
I hav started since 2008 as a bus driver for brisbane city council its always been a fun and most xciting to b working for them they provide proper training for the task that you are aquired to do so,it interact with people and help them aswell looking for there safety and mine. At the end of the day the reward that you get is priceless when you knw evrybody is happy.
Inspiring City Council
Development Regional Mgr (Former Employee) –  Brisbane Central Business District QLD29 July 2017
My role as Development Assessment Manager was to provide direction and guidance to a large team of professionals in helping manage the growth of inner and southern Brisbane City
Pros
Exciting, stimulating, always encouraged to grow skills