Broadcom Employee Reviews for Design Engineer

Continuous cuts while increasing workload
IC Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, CO24 April 2019
Most engineers I encountered at broadcom were competent and enjoyable to work with. Everyone was very relaxed about flex time, and there was never an issue if you needed to step out of the office for a bit. Work had the potential to be varied, and depending on your manager, there were occasional opportunities to learn new tools and skills (time permitting).

The problem is the workload for the available resources and erosion of any work-life-balance. When the company was LSI, I felt we had enough engineers to release a product we could be proud of. I rarely stayed late, and stressful releases were short with enough time in between to recover. BUT after the purchase by AVAGO and Broadcom name-change, it turned into a highly stressful 24/7 job with a constant lack of resources. Releases were made without telling the verification engineers, Deadlines were agreed to that were impossible, and the feeling of producing a quality product was replaced by constant firefighting caused by tight deadlines and a lack of staff.

Over 4 years, the team I was on went from 9 engineers down to 6 while the workload tripled. It was not uncommon to have meetings at 11pm, and pretty much everyone would be online answering emails and running sims late into the night throughout the week and many weekends. Product re-releases became very frequent eating up any available time.
Cons
Not enough engineers
its ok
ASIC Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CA5 April 2017
I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (More than 3 years)
Pros
Good compensation, flexible work time.
Cons
Dirty politics in some departments!
Advice to Management
Increase leadership skills as well as management skills in some departments.
Ok
Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CA3 April 2017
Good place to work, competitive and challenging and satisfactory work environment for hard working engineers. in the filed of high speed cpu design, low power semiconducors.
Wonderful place to learn, Great culture, Good work life balance
SRAM Circuit Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bangalore, Karnataka4 March 2017
Had a great time working with and learning from highly qualified people, straight out of college. People were always willing to help and listen to opinions. Would go back anytime!
People are nice here, happy to work with the teammates even under pressure, a gym and basketball court are available here in San Diego.
IC/SoC Physical Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA14 February 2017
Manager are both strong in technical skill and management.
Self-driven daily works and the team work spirits push everyone complete their work within the due time.
I enjoyed to work there.
Pros
1 or 2 people in an office, or few contractors share one big room, compact gym but an outdoor full court basketball court is a plus. Free drinks.
Good
IC Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Fort Collins, CO21 November 2016
Good company to work for. Good work-life balance, but too many consolidations in the last two years has had a negative impact on employees' morale.
Good Experience
Engineer-IC Design (Former Employee) –  Mumbai, Maharashtra9 April 2016
Great place to work. work environment is really good and competitive. Many different projects. Hardest part of job was to deal with three team at the same time. Most enjoyable part of the job is the day after the tap out. You feel so relaxed and free that you think about many different things.
new graduate friendly
IC Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CA10 September 2015
It is a great opportunity to work at Broadcom. As a new graduate, you can learn a lot from senior engineer and they have the most up to date chip design technology which is so appealing to any electrical engineer.
Pros
work hard and be recognized
Good management
IC design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZ19 June 2015
I've worked for Broadcom I/O Library team for 5 yrs. I joined as a fresh grad.
Everybody here works for this team for 10-15 yrs. They are very experienced and talented people. I learned a lot working with them. Everybody has good attitude and willing to help each other. It's a good opportunity for the young people.
Managers are nice, always care about what we need. And you get opportunity to work on different projects and develop different skills
Pros
Good health insurance. Good stock plan.
Cons
401K match is low. Now we are bought by Avago. Not sure about what's the future, and what's gonna happen to our team.
a great company to work for
Physical Design Engineer (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Irvine CA10 March 2015
I have worked for Broadcom as a contractor, and I think I enjoy my time working there and I like the life style and I also learn new technology there
Easy relaxed place to work
Principal Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ENG28 July 2014
Easy, relaxed place to work. Allowed the creative freedom to do my job properly.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Lacking in ambition
Productive & fun place
Contractor Engineer IC Design (Former Employee) –  Hyderabad, AP20 March 2014
work timings are very flexible but has to be finished in time.
learnt how to behave in corporate life
management is very good
co-workers are friendly and help in very peek time
Front End Design and Verification of Chip Components
IC Design Engineer - Mobile and Wireless Group (Former Employee) –  Bangalore,INDIA12 January 2014
An interesting job with a great knowledge learning experience, amazing work atmosphere. Though work-life balance and fun activiities were less
Productivity, learning, no transparency
Physical Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bangalore6 July 2013
1. Learning Opportunity is good.
2. Management is not transparent.
3. Unity of the team is broken by the manager.
4. Nepotism.
Pros
Leading Core technology to work
Cons
Nepotism, Unity broken, No transparency from top hierarchy.