Broadcom
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Broadcom Employee Reviews for Principal

Principal5 reviews
I remained employed for the majority of my stint there, before the acquisition. During my time, I can say that it was the best companies to work for. It gave me an opportunity to contribute, learn and mentor. I was lucky to have worked for my management who happened to be very compassionate, astute and provided guidance all the way through. It also gave me the opportunity to work with people from around the world (since it was and still is a global company). I learned a lot while working with these awesome colleagues and consultants.
My job was to design and develop the new solutions and then work with support teams to keep the lights on in production.

The hardest part of my job was also the most enjoyable as I worked in IT department and the systems run 24/7, therefore, I had to remain available and work across time zones, at times it would get challenging but for the most part, it was great as I had the backing of the amazing tech support, business analysis teams and my management of course.
Pros
Business travel, attending conferences, lunch and learn sessions, decent perks, competitive salary package with RSUs and bonuses, work from home
Cons
The work routine was challenging, way too many meetings especially while the company was in implementing a new ERP system, turned a little bureaucratic in the last couple of years before the acquisition
CA is a great place to work if you want to be on the cutting edge of IT infrastructure management. Over the decades it has grown from a company with the fastest sort utility for IBM mainframes to the recognized leader in IT on many fronts. For me, as an instructor, there is no typical work day. Sometimes I'm teaching a class thousands of miles from home or I'm teaching to groups of students live over the internet and spanning multiple continents. Other days I am writing/editing/testing new curriculum or learning to teach new products.

Over the years I have become extremely competent on a broad spectrum of IT areas including, enterprise monitoring, help desk, asset management, knowledge management, process automation, agile design, test data management, test generation, service virtualization, to name a few.

Management here is focused on allowing employees to maximize their potential and I am proof of how well that has worked. Everything is highly dependent on a culture of collaboration and communication because so many employees work from home or a scattered over vast distances.

Perhaps the hardest part of the job are the hours travelling. I travel between one and three times a month. It has ranged between 12 and 24 hours per trip. Sometimes it can turn a 40 hour week into an 80 hour week. But then, IT people seem to put in lots of overtime industry-wide.

For me personally, the best part of the job is the relationships I've built with my co-workers and students. These are lifetime friendships that transcend decades and are deeply cherished.
Pros
Benefits, Family Support, Pay, Advancement Opportunities
Cons
Being a lifelong workaholic, I probably put in more hours than needed.
Always get a freedom to explore your technical capabilities
Nice staff and good benefits.

Management is co-operative and Co-workers are very supportive
The culture of the company is still startup-ish with a lot of delivery pressure, but also has the bureaucracy and politics of a big company. Work life balance is a little difficult to achieve but you are surrounded by a lot of smart people.
Management is wanting and elements of planning are conspicuous by their absence.
Cons
no work life balance, bad management
When I first started at Broadcom, I was very happy and it was a great place to work. Intellectual Property (IP) theft is a high concern in the Semiconductor space, however over the years Broadcom continued to take a more aggressive approach to combating IP theft then I was comfortable with.
Pros
Fast Pace, Competitive Compensation
Cons
Too aggressive approach to investigations with little causation