Broadcom Employee Reviews for Principal

The Leader in IT Infrastructure Management
Principal Instructor (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CA7 November 2018
CA is a great place to work if you want to be on the cutting edge of IT infrastructure management. Over the decades it has grown from a company with the fastest sort utility for IBM mainframes to the recognized leader in IT on many fronts. For me, as an instructor, there is no typical work day. Sometimes I'm teaching a class thousands of miles from home or I'm teaching to groups of students live over the internet and spanning multiple continents. Other days I am writing/editing/testing new curriculum or learning to teach new products.

Over the years I have become extremely competent on a broad spectrum of IT areas including, enterprise monitoring, help desk, asset management, knowledge management, process automation, agile design, test data management, test generation, service virtualization, to name a few.

Management here is focused on allowing employees to maximize their potential and I am proof of how well that has worked. Everything is highly dependent on a culture of collaboration and communication because so many employees work from home or a scattered over vast distances.

Perhaps the hardest part of the job are the hours travelling. I travel between one and three times a month. It has ranged between 12 and 24 hours per trip. Sometimes it can turn a 40 hour week into an 80 hour week. But then, IT people seem to put in lots of overtime industry-wide.

For me personally, the best part of the job is the relationships I've built with my co-workers and students. These are lifetime friendships that transcend decades and are deeply cherished.
Pros
Benefits, Family Support, Pay, Advancement Opportunities
Cons
Being a lifelong workaholic, I probably put in more hours than needed.
Disguised US base
Engineer Principal (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CA16 October 2018
Not a goal oriented but a Typical Profit based company with no long term vision. No job security even for best performers. It is a name sake US based company moving verticals to offshore just based on zero threshold. No centralized goals for the company to move on. It is mostly based on the immediate supervisor dictatorship. Not a great place to work.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
No Long Term Vision or Security
Great company to work for
Principal Developer (Former Employee) –  Singapore24 May 2018
I remained employed for the majority of my stint there, before the acquisition. During my time, I can say that it was the best companies to work for. It gave me an opportunity to contribute, learn and mentor. I was lucky to have worked for my management who happened to be very compassionate, astute and provided guidance all the way through. It also gave me the opportunity to work with people from around the world (since it was and still is a global company). I learned a lot while working with these awesome colleagues and consultants.
My job was to design and develop the new solutions and then work with support teams to keep the lights on in production.
The hardest part of my job was also the most enjoyable as I worked in IT department and the systems run 24/7, therefore, I had to remain available and work across time zones, at times it would get challenging but for the most part, it was great as I had the backing of the amazing tech support, business analysis teams and my management of course.
Pros
Business travel, attending conferences, lunch and learn sessions, decent perks, competitive salary package with RSUs and bonuses, work from home
Cons
The work routine was challenging, way too many meetings especially while the company was in implementing a new ERP system, turned a little bureaucratic in the last couple of years before the acquisition
great place to work for
Principal Engineer (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CA31 July 2017
Broadcom is a great place and culture to work for. As a group, we work very well together and with a family atmosphere. Very flexible schedule and no micro management style.
Unfriendly and high pressure
Principal Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bangalore, Karnataka23 April 2017
Broadcom pays a good salary and gives very good stock options.
That is about the only good thing about this company. It has a culture of suspicion about its employees. Firings happen anytime and employees are treated extremely shabbily during firing - almost like criminals. Work content is good but because of the prevailing culture, it is not possible to enjoy the work.
Fun and productive place to work
Principal Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bangalore, Karnataka17 April 2017
Its a fun and productive place to work. Flexible working hours. Well balanced work and personal life. Helpful colleagues, can approach them with any doubt at any time.
Pros
Well balanced work and personal life
Cons
No job security
Principal Engineer (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CA4 November 2016
Great place to work. Challenging at times but very fulfilling. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing products evolve from R&D to production.
Pros
Flexible work schedule & good salary.
Cons
very busy.
Overall pleasant experience with the company
Principal Engineer (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CA1 September 2016
Overall pleasant experience with the company until it was acquired by Avago. Broadcom made many mistake in merge and purchased, failed in the mobile phone business, in the end it was merged by Avago.
Productive place
Principal Engineer (Former Employee) –  Beijing23 August 2016
Acquired a lot of knowledge here as Broadcom is a leader semiconductor company.
Working in Broadcom is a challenging job which requires systematic knowledge in hardware, software, electric and communication skills.

Usually, in the morning, read the internal Twiki, Confluence to know the status of global team, then check the JIRA system and find if there are any priority cases. Use GIT to complete the work of software part. A lot of conference calls may happens among different teams.
Technical Work
Principal Configuration / Release Enginner (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA20 July 2016
Always get a freedom to explore your technical capabilities
Nice staff and good benefits.
Management is co-operative and Co-workers are very supportive
A big startup
Principal Analyst, Collaboration platforms (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CA25 August 2015
The culture of the company is still startup-ish with a lot of delivery pressure, but also has the bureaucracy and politics of a big company. Work life balance is a little difficult to achieve but you are surrounded by a lot of smart people.
Management is wanting and elements of planning are conspicuous by their absence.
Cons
no work life balance, bad management
a great company
Principal Engineer, Technical Marketing (Former Employee) –  Matawan, NJ16 August 2015
very talented engineers
cutting-edge technology
well-organized teams
professional operations
nice company to work for
Pros
balanced work and life
Cons
no vacation
Fast Pace Worldwide Investigations of Intellectual Property Theft
Principal INFOSEC Analyst / Corporate Investigator (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CA7 June 2015
When I first started at Broadcom, I was very happy and it was a great place to work. Intellectual Property (IP) theft is a high concern in the Semiconductor space, however over the years Broadcom continued to take a more aggressive approach to combating IP theft then I was comfortable with.
Pros
Fast Pace, Competitive Compensation
Cons
Too aggressive approach to investigations with little causation
Corporate with cool Startup Culture
Principal Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CA20 May 2015
here you will have aggressive startup goals, but with great corporate culture.
flexibility with time, working place but no compromise on deadline.
Awesome people , and great team work.
Excellent brilliant engineers
Principal Engineer (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CA2 February 2015
Worked with many brilliant engineers who taught me much about the industry. Some managers bogged down by politics and nepotism. Overall a good company to work for.
Higher manager's vision is bad
Principal engineer (Former Employee) –  Matawan, NJ7 October 2014
Broadcom has lots of talented engineer but higher managers are not so strong to be able to lead the company
nice work place
Principal Engineer (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CA15 September 2014
except they got hammered by qualcomm
good location next to uci
good
Principal Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Jose,CA24 June 2014
Frontend Flow Development
Low Power Methodology

EDA vendor coordination
Good company, keeps employee's very busy.
Principal Engineer (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CA11 June 2014
Was given the chance to work in several different different areas of embedded programming, work with several OS.

Co-workers are very competent and management does a good job of assigning/organizing work.
Pros
Always have lots of work.
Cons
Long hours at the office.
Top quality work
Principal Engineer, IC Design (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA5 June 2014
Broadcom offers very high quality of work. The people are friendly and one has a lot of freedom to choose what one wants to work on. Salary is compatible with high end semiconductor industry.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Broadcom. Our community is ready to answer.