Brotherhood of St Laurence
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Brotherhood of St Laurence Employee Reviews

Australia50 reviews
I have been working at BSL for about 8 months on contract and have LOVED every minute of it. The team is fantastic, collaborative and our Director and Head are personable, professional and knowledgeable. The organisation is supportive and flexible and respects all employees no matter their seniority. I have learnt so much at BSL and couldn’t recommend working at BSL more!
Pros
Loads! Flexibility re: working arrangements, supportive collaborative team, excellent company culture & values based organisation to name a few!
Cons
N/a
A brain drain has occured over the past year as a new management broom has come in and some of the organisation’s best and most passionate advovates for an Australia without poverty have quietly left (or been made redundent).
While BSL talks about being a supportive and caring organisation in all its inward and outward comms, the reality is very different. This is not surprising given the BSL now seems to see its marketing department as the very centre and purpose of the organisation.

Much time and money has been spent on a lame new “look” over the past year which includes a photograph of its new CEO plastered over every single communication.

The tone deafness of a “brand” featuring a privileged, middle-aged white person looking like a deer caught in the headlights as its poster child is not surprising given that a senior staffer recently gave a talk at one of Melbourne’s most expensive private schools telling 14 year olds the most important advice for future success was to start developing their own ‘personal brand’.

This corporate-first attitude is rife throughout the entire organisation with its HR department is there to protect the “brand” and the senior management before any employee concerns.

Anyone thinking that a welfare organisation is a kinder, more collegiate place to work should go in in with their eyes wide open and be prepared for a management that talks the talk in (endless) daily meetings but just doesn't walk the walk.

The BSL board apparently has no idea of what’s going on. Has it not noticed the brain drain? Covid has provided a opportunistic camouflage
 - more...
Pros
Some fine, smart and passionate younger people still work there.
Cons
Self-serving senior management.
Excellent relaxing environment . Staff and management are very friendly. You are treated like a family. Residents are kind , unfortunately no families or NOK visiting.
This is the most fun I have had at work, my office is small and we are all friends with a easy approach to work life balance. However, everyone pulls their weight and we work together. I would recommend working here and I support those who wish to by guidance and developing their capacity in relation to interviews.
They don't care about book .. I mean work right. If anyone has a problem, you will never get a chance to be justified.
They recruiting for the government funding only.
Was very interesting all the time how to right resume, how to looking for job, what are the cpeny need how to sell it my resume or how to pick the cpany was get a lot of things from that time
The LAC role is one of the hardest I've had. Management skills of some people are extremely poor, culture in the office I worked in was like being back in high school. Jumped through hoops to get the job, and at the end of the day it wasn't worth it. I worked with a high percentage of people who left because there was no work life balance and the stress of the job was too much, only for the managers to be u supportive and say "well that's just the job" as opposed to helpibg their staff develop strategies to alleviate it.
Fast paced environment, particularly the space within LAC NDIS.
Very collaborative and supportive between management and all staff, extremely supportive.
I like BSL work policies and it is fair to every one. Its management is good and they are very helpful. I received many supports during my studying-working at BSL
BSL was a fantastic place to work. You feel a sense of pride working for an organisation doing so much for the community. With many different departments IT did face some uphill challenges.
Bsl is a charity shop therefore they look for volunteers. Its not a paid job. However the team is friendly and helpful. Training is provided. Calm and relaxed workplace. Generally quiet with little amount of customers at any one time.
Brotherhood has friendly environment and supportive team. My co-workers helped me a lot to strengthen my customer service skills.

Pros:

Flexible working hours

Supportive team

Cons:

Everyone was always very pleasant and fun to work with.
I learned a lot and was able to work with the team to produce great processes.

Management was always helpful.

The workplace culture was always positive.
Rude and disrespectful at certain days.
Customers service by my half was excellent. I made couple of sales. Very polite and friendly with customers they always left the warehouse with a smile.

I'm a hard and passionate worker.

Love my job when best at it.
Everyone is really welcoming, and I really enjoy volunteering here. Really recommended for all people. I don't have any issue with the social environment, and can't rate the salary rating since I'm volunteering here.
As a volunteer at their Kilsyth store for nearly 3 years, I still love it. Particularly the other volunteers and store management have given me life-long friendships I will cherish forever.
I love the competent, satisfied feeling gives me, and I've learnt many valuable skills and lessons I could not have learnt anywhere else.
Nice people to work for and good experience in getting a job. You work with people in different age groups. Close to public transport and parking is available.
Pros
Free food in the tea room
Cons
Short hours and less days
I thoroughly enjoyed working at the Brotherhood of St Laurence. It was a very busy position however there was always a lot of support for each other. There was a great amount of training provided and great benefits for the employees.
Pros
great career opportunities, work events, training
Cons
stressful, busy work load, part time hours weren't available
Management puts it's head in the sand and tries to ignore problems. Nice staff and would be a great place if staff was taken care of. Too much work and not enough staff.
Overall i learnt a lot while volunteering for the Brotherhood, it taught me to adapt to a new environment and taught me good customer service and routine.
Thinking back at the hardest part of the job there really was no hard part it was always a happy friendly Environment that i enjoyed.

The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing i was somehow helping our Community and meeting all the locals from the town.
Pros
Getting into routine
Cons
Lifting heavy stuff if needed.
I have been in the role for three years and in that time work has always been extremely busy. Management have put temp staff on but have always taken them away when the department has caught a little. No career advancement.

My time has come to move on and learn more. So I would like a bit more of a challenge and have a better salary than I do now.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Always busy never time to have a break.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brotherhood of St Laurence. Our community is ready to answer.