Bupa Employee Reviews

Would not ever work at bupa again.
AIN (Assistant in Nursing) (Former Employee) –  Glenvale QLD13 October 2018
Staff to resident ratio is unrealistic. Always works on paper but can never work in practice. AIN and RN. Care managers have been reduced by half. Paperwork is filled in with no accuracy.eg. Fluid charts. Food consistency not adhered to. Minced and vitamised food not to standard. All staff need to pass an English speaking test. Older residents with bad hearing have great difficulty understand strong accents.
Pros
Easy to get employed.
Cons
Sad to see residents uncared for.
BUPA Call Centre
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD3 October 2018
The role within BUPA is mostly made up of assisting the public in their private health insurance. This includes quotes for dental and other private factors.
Pros
Nice environment
Nice facility, toxic culture
Assistant in Nursing (Former Employee) –  Berry NSW25 September 2018
I worked as a casual AIN for quite a while (over 3 years)
Casuals were treated.as expendable and blamed for any and all issues. There is something nasty about this company's management and leadership, the care staff and residents were wonderful but management churned over regularly and did their best to make everyone else's life miserable. Resident complaints.were.explained by management as staff telling residents to voice concern on their behalf, inadequate food portions were blamed on staff eating the food.Residents who attracted high funding levels were kept in the facility when they should have gone to hospital or more other appropriate facilities, these residents' complaints were taken seriously when those with lower acuity were told to move out if they are unhappy. The list goes on. BUPA is all about company profits and bonuses for those in control. Wages are lowest in industry and AINs expected to give medications as well as provide personal care. No wonder a Bupa employee went postal in Victoria
Pros
Nice building, residents and staff
Cons
See above.
Great to make money
Step up Coach and Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, Australia11 September 2018
Great to make fast money, but no growth or support from upper management. Felt top performers etc were under valued.

Culture was relaxed and easy to work independantly
Pros
good salary
Cons
poor management
Terrible place to work
Lifestyle Assistant (Former Employee) –  Donvale VIC3 September 2018
This has to have been the worst place i have ever worked. The Manager was a bully and is the cause of the massive overhaul of staff members who cannot work efficiently in a such a over worked, bullied, unsupported environment. The manager will use you until they can replace you and throw you away. There is no loyalty regardless of how hard you work. Management as a total was uncaring and bullied every staff member who was not a yes man. I will never work for another Bupa again.
Pros
Residents
Cons
Toxic work culture
Big and friendly staff
Receptionist/Administration (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW22 August 2018
Too nice to work with excellent staff. We serve around 350 customers in peak period but working with friendly staff, does not look like hard job. Every Wednesday, there is something extra activity/treat for the staff.
Pros
In busy period we got free coffee.
Great place to undertake training
AIN (Assistant in Nursing) (Current Employee) –  Bateau Bay NSW8 August 2018
I came straight out of training into a position at Bupa, I have been there for just over two years. It's a great place to learn and undertake training. The residents are lovely.
management act like they care
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD CBD9 July 2018
great earning potential, targets are trash.
if you take one day off it sets you back so much.
management are real childish and tend to judge people.
they always have food days which is great.
Big company, long hours, lack of advancement
Customer Service Consultant (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD2 May 2018
Some poor decisions via management, all about the customer and not about the work / life balance that staff were promised. Definitely not what is advertised on paper.
Pros
Some food days for teams
Bupa
AIN (Assistant in Nursing) (Former Employee) –  Berry NSW23 April 2018
Working as team and all cultures is quite rewarding as everyone has different backgrounds and experiences which help us to achieve our best in the workplace
Pros
Team work
Cons
Getting the job done right
Under staffed
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC19 April 2018
Worked in retail centers and fellow workers quit or chuck a sickie. Meant to be 5 plus manager each day but average was 3 plus manager as if we did actually have 5 people would get shipped off to centers that where low on staff.
Every day smashed about sales and how to trick customers into accepting getting off old better quality cover.
Really was not a career but a place to hang the coat while looking for a better place to be.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
The job, members would be horrified if they knew all we wanted them to do was change covers for our numbers.
Student Placement
Student placement (Former Employee) –  Mildura VIC6 April 2018
I was at BUPA for 3 weeks on a student placement, i learnt alot and also did so much to help others. The placement was a great learning experience that i wish other will have.
Fun and comfortable enviroment with alot of different cutures you learn to love.
Cover review consultant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC 300021 March 2018
Bupa was a fun and exciting environment to be apart of, the staff are very friendly and always willing to help you out when you need it.
I was apart of the best team there but it was too far for me travel everyday.
Pros
Always getting help when you need it from management.
Cons
My team leader was more friendly and welcoming to the males than the females.
Professional
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD7 March 2018
A dynamic professional team and everyone was customer focussed. Encouraged projects and free thinking. Good benefits with the role. Lovely team of colleagues.
Pros
Great Location
Cons
Often quiet.
i have good team sportsmanship and have been playingg soccer all my life
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD23 February 2018
I used to help my mother at her job and was considered as a volunteering job at Bupa, a typical day there was trained nurses got the residents up, I helped feed them and cleaned up after them, we then got them to get there arms and some of there legs moving , they then had morning tea and later after were fed lunch, some stayed playing the game but some decided they just wanted to have a break. they had dinner and were put to bed for us to make sure the work place was tidy. I learnt a lot more patience as they moved very slow and did everything in a slow pace. the management of the place when I helped from 2013-2016 was not good at all, the manager cut some people off certain jobs causing them to not have enough staff which was why our help was needed. the workplace culture was ok as there used to be a church group that came in for people of all different religions and Christmas, Easter, Halloween etc. was always celebrated. the most hardest part was when the residents didn't agree with certain things causing them to get a little bit angry. the most enjoyable part as volunteering was most of the residents were soo nice.
Pros
most staff were nice
Cons
N/a
Healthy workplace culture. Everyone pulling in the one direction
PCA (Former Employee) –  Coburg VIC21 February 2018
All staff very kind and caring. Residents respected, well looked after and well catered for. All staff are there to help each other so if one person is busy, we are all busy. If we are not busy, we have time to spent with residents.
It'll pay the bills
Kitchen Hand/Cook's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tamworth NSW8 February 2018
There is always work available at Bupa, and once you are in, you're in. However the last few years it has become a very depressing place. Always short staffed, people are over worked and on edge, and there's always people taking sick leave or large chunks of annual leave (which leaves you even more short staffed).
I left because I just didn't want to be there any more.
Pros
Plenty of hours if you're not picky with the shift
Cons
short staffed, huge work load, very rarely get over time
Proffesional company
Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW26 December 2017
Great company to work for for. I learnt alot and really valued my time there.
I would have no hesitation in recommending Bupa as a proffesional company to work for.
Pros
Proffesional
Cons
regular pay although working environment and career progression poor
Registered Nurse (Permanent Part time) (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW19 November 2017
-understaffed
-working with bad skill mix
-complaints from family and workload requirements lead to emotional burnout and compassion fatigue
-poor career progression opportunities
Lots of Promises, not a lot of follow through
Business Administrator - FULL-TIME (Current Employee) –  Traralgon VIC 384416 November 2017
Promotes amazing values, talks the talk but does not walk the walk. The residents are beautiful but its not worth the emotional, mental and physical exhaustion stress and unpaid overtime. Well underpaid in all sectors, do not value employees, a lot of turn over, petty work culture and unfair demands on those that do pour their heart and soul into the role and then efforts ignored or dismissed. A lot of micro managing and belittling. Terrible communication.
Pros
The residents and their families are mostly lovely
Cons
Treated like everyone's PA, overworked, underpaid and undervalued, constantly uninformed about vital changes in home and team structure.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bupa. Our community is ready to answer.