Bupa
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Bupa Employee Reviews for Care Assistant

3.2Work–Life Balance

Found 363 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,182 reviews

Very rewarding company to work for

Start a shift answer all call bells sharing responsibilities with co-workers. Help clients with all aspects of personal care needs. Assist the palliative clients. Have meaningful conversations with clients and gain new friendships

Cons

night shifts

Not good

Staff talk to the residents very bad . Shifts too long .money not ok .no help with training. Leave you do what you want . Talk about each other behind your back

27 August 2021
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We're sorry to hear this was your experience at one of our homes. We take all feedback seriously and would always encourage people to use our confidential Speak Up Service for any issues that they don't feel comfortable raising to their manager, so that issues can be thoroughly investigated. Please find more information here: secure.ethicspoint.eu/domain/media/en/gui/102918/index.html We wish you all the best for the future. ^JL

Not enough workers on shift, ever. Lousy Line Managers

Waverley Grange has gone thru 3 managers in 3 yrs. High staff turnover. Never any support. No pay rises. Nasty, back stabbing line manager only advances friends. HR only hires family. Upper mgmt works staff to exhaustion. Upper mgmt refuses to change to the home to dementia facility, continues to fill the home with dementia residents. Nursing residents on the residential floor. Staff constantly calling out sick, no one called in to help out.

Pros

Free lunches, but the food is lousy.

Cons

You will be criticized for everything you do, right or wrong.

27 August 2021
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We're sorry to hear your experience of working at one of our care homes isn't positive. We take all feedback seriously and would encourage you to use our confidential Speak Up Service for any issues that you don't feel comfortable raising to your manager so any issues can be thoroughly investigated. You'll find the details here: secure.ethicspoint.eu/domain/media/en/gui/102918/index.html ^JL

Bad salary

In this job you have tons of things to do and little time and help for that . I used to do night shifts and we were only 2 persons to change at least 3 times per night 25 residents in a floor, fulfill documentation, provide fluids, bath/shower at least 3 residents to help the day team and also clean wheelchairs etc . Oh and night shift don’t get the free meal .

6 August 2021

Fun professional

Excellent, offer in house training,opportunity to climb the ladder, friendly,, if they something more they will advise and encourage you to go further.

Pros

Free traing

16 April 2021
Thanks for the great feedback! We're really pleased to hear that you had a good experience of working in one of our homes. We wish you all the best for the future! ^JL

Fun place

Good. Friendly. Free lunches. Work as a team. Job is not easy. Demanding. Staffs happy. 3 day off. It you work 4 days. Learn a lot about dementia. Lots ot training

Pros

Free lunches

1 April 2021

difficult place to work

I worked at a care home for just under a month before leaving i had no experience in the job and was given 4 days training watching presentations and given 3 days to shadow in the home, and the majority of the shadowing I was told to sit down somewhere, before i was thrown out on the floor knowing nothing. The employees on my first day didn’t even say hello and were rude about me having no experience. I couldn’t imagine working there long term as I was given no support from members of staff and was shown a little bit of support from management. I wouldn’t recommend this company to work for if your new at the job as they aren’t supportive and are unkind to newcomers.

Pros

Provide free lunches, nice residents

Cons

Long hours, very unsupportive, old staff and new staff divide

7 January 2021

Relaxed but busy

Bupa home is well managed however the shifts are busy so be prepared. Support usually there.I have left due to injury but would consider going back. They have plans to improve work culture so it is a positive sign. Management less involved so this helps the team to get on with tasks. I like that there wasn't any favouritism so the team could get on with the floor.

Pros

Good culture

Cons

Can be heavy and extremely busy

7 January 2021
Thanks for the feedback! We're really pleased to hear that you had a good experience of working in one of our homes. We wish you all the best for the future!

Awful

Bupa is a massive company and only pay the minimum wage what a joke, NVQS do not matter to Bupa or in fact any care industry, just another care place that has management clicks. Don’t get me wrong 1 or 2 people I’ve made lifetime friends with however there management claim to support you what a load of rubbish it’s way they speak to you even if your down that’s not supportive worse care company I ever worked for and because way care industry is I don’t work in care anymore I’ve taken a different career and entry level is same as there senior rates also Covid results emailed to your manager don’t apply

Pros

Wage stream, residents

Cons

Long hours no support just everything you can think of

4 December 2020
Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback. Our managers have an open door policy to listen to feedback from their teams so we're sorry to hear this wasn't your experience as it doesn't reflect our culture or behaviours. We take all feedback seriously and would encourage you to use our confidential Speak Up Service for any issues that you don't feel comfortable raising to your manager so issues can be thoroughly investigated. You'll find the details here: secure.ethicspoint.eu/domain/media/en/gui/102918/index.html We wish you all the best for the future.

Nice workplace

Great staff and great management , nice place to work if you love to helping old people. When you are there you feel grateful for every smile and hugs from old people

Pros

Free lunch

5 November 2020
Thanks for the great feedback! We're really pleased to hear that you had a good experience of working in one of our homes. We wish you all the best in the future!

Jobs at Bupa

Care Assistant positions
See more jobs

Rushed and some hostile staff

The job is stressful and being new some staff members were quite rude and hostile towards me. You are constantly in a rush and if you are not and you try to provide care adequately you will certainly get moaned at by other staff members. Long hours and understaffed. Initial training was good but nothing like the job itself.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Rushed, inadequate care for residents, rude colleagues

27 October 2020
We're sorry to hear your experience of working at one of our care homes isn't positive. We take all feedback seriously and would encourage you to use our confidential Speak Up Service for any issues that you don't feel comfortable raising to your manager so issues can be thoroughly investigated. You'll find the details at: https://secure.ethicspoint.eu/domain/media/en/gui/102918/index.html Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback.

Worst place ever

Home manager has zero interest in residents and less interest in staff. Bullying tactics used all the time. Management has no experience in direct care work so no idea of demands of care work. BUPA as a company have no morals and only interested in the amount of money they can get from residents and how much they can save being short staffed all the time. I've never worked anywhere so bad.

Pros

Cons

Bullying home manager

10 November 2020

Very proffessionsl and great environment.

Bupa is a great company to work for. Always room for improvement and great training prospects. Great team and management are always ready to listen and lend a helping hand. Excellent caring team and very friendly and calm environment. Great career prospect and always room for improvement and going up the ladder. Great company to work for.

Pros

Free meals 12 hour shift

Cons

Plenty of overtime

10 November 2020
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your positive comments, they're great to hear! We hope you continue to enjoy your career with us.

Ok workplace

Busy, fast paced atmosphere, residents are lovely, the home is cosy and nicely decorated. A few staff members were not so pleasant to work with and of course it only takes one bad apple to contaminate the whole bunch.Overall, the training is good, I gained really good skills and experience and made good friends which I still in touch with.

Pros

Free lunches

10 November 2020
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback, we're really pleased to hear that you enjoyed the training and have kept in touch with some of your colleagues. We take all feedback seriously and would always encourage people to use our confidential Speak Up Service for any issues regarding other staff that they don't feel comfortable raising to their manager so that issues can be thoroughly investigated. Please find more information here: secure.ethicspoint.eu/domain/media/en/gui/102918/index.html We wish you all the best for the future!

Terrible! Management???

Management with closed door policy!Blame culture, understaffed, residents neglected, meds errors always.If you care, this is not the place for you.Many cases of Covid-19, poor infection control

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Hours, stress, management

10 November 2020
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Our managers have an open door policy to listen to feedback from their teams so we're sorry to hear this wasn't your experience as it doesn't reflect our culture or behaviours. We take all feedback seriously and encourage people to use our confidential Speak Up Service for any issues that they don't feel comfortable raising to their manager, so that any issues can be thoroughly investigated. Please find more information here: secure.ethicspoint.eu/domain/media/en/gui/102918/index.html We wish you all the best for the future.

Awful place

Worst home I’ve ever worked for. Beautiful place & grounds. Training very good. Staff are awful apart from the odd few. Kids running a dementia floor that haven’t a clue. Would never put a relative of mine in this place. Management useless. Make you all these promises at your interview, when you have a problem or need help your just ingnored. Would avoid

Pros

Residents

Watford

Worst place to work for staff rude and horrible way they treat you. Long hours and managers don't listen to you with this when you go to ask for help. Residents are great love helping them live normal life in home. Only down side is pay on less than 9.00 hour doing 12 hour shift with only hour break. Under staffed and staff are rude way they treat you bullying and back stabbing. Worst place ever to work for stay clear

Pros

Free lunch residents

Cons

Staff management

10 November 2020

Good

I enjoyed to work with Bupa, excellent training was given, nice management and collective, it was pleasant to work with. The team looked after our beloved very well, great atmosphere. Bupa provides a hot meal in 12 hours shift.

10 November 2020

Do not work for bupa bradford

Its worst place you can work so much racism, nasty behaviours and old staff make the new staff run around like dogs while they sit down. The management cannot sort themselves out so much favoritism based on friendships. What can you expect from other staff obviously the same. As the management is so supportive of favoritism. Bradford overall being diverse and multicultural it was shocking to see such high levels of racism from staff and management. What is shown at these residential homes is not how it appears. I feel sorry for the residence, I would not recommend BUPA to any one. Neither for any family members that may be considering to place a family member at these residential homes. Your loved ones will not get the quality of care that you might have been told they will receive.

Pros

Residence

Cons

All stated and list goes on ........

Job was enjoyable

I did a bit of everything working for bupa , I got on with everyone and the staff were lovely , I only resigned because of being asked to try nights and then put on permanently without being asked if ok , in my eyes if they wanna change which shifts you work they should ask if ok.

Pros

Friendly

Cons

Put on nights when wasn't asked

10 November 2020
Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback, we're pleased to hear that you enjoyed working in one of our homes. Our managers have an open door policy to listen to feedback from their teams so we're sorry to hear this wasn't your experience as it doesn't reflect our culture or behaviours. We take all feedback seriously but encourage people to use our confidential Speak Up Service for any issues that they don't feel comfortable raising to their manager, so that any issues can be thoroughly investigated. Please find more information here: secure.ethicspoint.eu/domain/media/en/gui/102918/index.htmlWe wish you all the best for the future!

Sad but true

You think your going into a good company but management are unfortunately very favoritism based and staff know it. Payed at just 1p above the minimum wage, disappointing for bupa.

Pros

Lovely residents

Cons

As stated in review

10 November 2020
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Our managers have an open door policy to listen to feedback from their teams so we're sorry to hear this wasn't your experience as it doesn't reflect our culture or behaviours. We take all feedback seriously but encourage people to use our confidential Speak Up Service for any issues that they don't feel comfortable raising to their manager, so that any issues can be thoroughly investigated. Please find more information here: secure.ethicspoint.eu/domain/media/en/gui/102918/index.html We wish you all the best for the future.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bupa. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Bupa
  • Care Assistant
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?