Bupa
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Bupa Employee Reviews for Senior Care Assistant

3.2Work–Life Balance

Found 71 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,184 reviews

A place to build up Character

Care industry is though and challenging, but also fun and heartwarming. If you are not a hands on people's person, this isn't for you! Pay attention to details, be fast, be ready, be fair and onest, be open and curious. And you might succed. As a big corporate company they do offer pathways to progress into other job roles.But it is not always easy: level of staffing might be low, the skills of new comers might not be the best, work long hours, fast passing, putting others first...taking accountability for your actions. At the end of the day it is all about the impact that you had on the residents lives.

Pros

Free Hot Meal on a 12 hours shift, Shoe Allowance, Study while working, Free Online Access to different Trainings

Cons

36 hours of Shadowing only after the theoretical induction which is 4 days, unpaid breaks, handwritten paper documentation

26 February 2021
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We would encourage you to speak to your manager about some of the things you have raised in your review but if you don't feel comfortable doing so, you can use our confidential Speak Up Service and any issues will be thoroughly investigated. You'll find the details here: secure.ethicspoint.eu/domain/media/en/gui/102918/index.html ^JL

Isolated and no Managerial Assistance

On Interview with Bupa being such a massive organisation you are really impressed.The Outer and Interior decorations are impressive and ‘wow’ you.The Benefits you can gain on a successful Interview are plentiful and most, very worthwhile.And of course, in the Care Sector, with pay being so poor Bupa pay well which is, to many, a massive factor in taking up employment with them.All these things draw you in.Once Employed, if you are a ‘Carer’ not a ‘Worker’ you start to see behind the ‘name’. The cracks appear, you notice things that you’d rather not notice. And for that reason I find myself in the position of writing this review.

6 July 2021
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We're sorry to hear your experience of working at one of our care homes isn't positive. We take all feedback seriously and would encourage you to use our confidential Speak Up Service for any issues that you don't feel comfortable raising to your manager so any issues can be thoroughly investigated. You'll find the details here: secure.ethicspoint.eu/domain/media/en/gui/102918/index.html ^JL

Good care home

Lovely staff and residents. Great opportunity to learn more. Good training available. Uniform and benefits provided.

6 July 2021
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your positive comments, they're great to hear! We hope you continue to enjoy your career with us! ^JL

Not a good company to work for.

Where to star??? Rate of pay is rubbish (minimum wage for care staff) and breaks are unpaid, long hours but that’s expected in care. Some staff don’t care about residents, dementia residents always get left of with activities, activities staff always go to the floors where resident have capacity. The staff are very “clicky” and if they don’t like you they will try to push you out. Management haven’t got time for staff or residents. The food is horrific the only place for it is in the bin. There is no care all they worry about is filling the beds and they are always understaffed and use a lot of agency. Staff are treated like a number. If you have a family emergency management will moan about covering your shift. Staff refuse to work with other staff members, staff argue in resident room with other staff members. Gossip goes around the home within a matter of minutes and staff also make up gossip. Would never work for a bupa home again especially Ardenlea Grove!

Pros

Going home/days off

4 June 2021

Always something to do

Lots of lazy staff who just want to come to work and sit in an office to chat even though so much work needs completing. Staff are rude.Care home still uses pen and paper. Too time consuming. Electronic system would be quicker.Residents are a pleasure to care for.Management supportive.

Pros

Home is spread into four units

Cons

Presured to work overtime

16 April 2021
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We're sorry to hear this was your experience at one of our homes. We take all feedback seriously and would always encourage people to use our confidential Speak Up Service for any issues that they don't feel comfortable raising to their manager, so that issues can be thoroughly investigated. Please find more information here: secure.ethicspoint.eu/domain/media/en/gui/102918/index.html We wish you all the best for the future. ^JL

Would never work for or recommend this company again

Long hours, always short staffed, staff members too faced.managent are a joke. If your face fits your ok but things can change very quicklyThe only thing i liked was the residents and caring for them.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Long hours, not appriciated

26 February 2021

Being able to spend time with residents and provide them with high standard of care in their ladt days of life

I have worked for bupa for 3 years, I got promoted to senior begining of my second year whilst only half way through my NVQ 3. During this time I have been able to be expand my knowledge and have had training on venepuncture and other aspects of care. Management are kind and caring and easy to talk to if there is a problem. The hardest part of the job is the long hours and some staff do not have a caring side to the residents. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see the residents everyday and providing them with a high standard of care making sure that they are happy, comfortable and loved. And working for a care home which has an outstanding CQC rating.

Pros

Maintaining a high quality of care for residents on a daily basis

10 November 2020
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your positive comments, they're great to hear! We take all feedback seriously and would encourage you to use our confidential Speak Up Service for any issues regarding other staff that you don't feel comfortable raising to your manager so any issues can be thoroughly investigated. You'll find the details here: secure.ethicspoint.eu/domain/media/en/gui/102918/index.html We hope you continue to enjoy your career with us!

Working at bupa

I have liked working for bupa for the last few years but since I received my nvq my pay hasn’t changed and there are still new starters on the same pay as me, I have been offered a senior position but that was last year now and since then I feel like I have had no encouragement about it, I’m still unsure about finishing my meds training due to the lack of communication they have with me.

Pros

Good with my hours

Cons

Lack of communication and appreciation

10 November 2020
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We're sorry to hear that your experience hasn't been positive since progressing to Senior Care Assistant. We would encourage you to speak to your manager about this but if you don't feel comfortable doing so, you can use our confidential Speak Up Service and any issues will be thoroughly investigated. You'll find the details here: secure.ethicspoint.eu/domain/media/en/gui/102918/index.html

Not possible to put 0 stars

Night staff like in many care homes go under the radar get forgotten about unless something is wrong however both the care manager and the home manager dont know the majority of the staff's names rota are messed with last minute giving you no home life balance annual leave is changed or taken off you last minute even if it is booked well in advance protocols and procedures and paperwork are often only seriously checked and managed when a cqc inspection is due and you are totally expected to be able to work out how all the paperwork works on your own (Believe me there is tonnes)

Pros

Cons

Poor management, messing with rotas and annual leave

10 November 2020

My experience was tremendous good which helped me in the care field and also they have very good team work at bupa care. I will recommend it to any one.

10 November 2020
Thanks for the great feedback! We're really pleased to hear that you had a good experience of working in one of our homes. We wish you all the best for the future!

Jobs at Bupa

Senior Care Assistant positions
See more jobs

Terrible company

Terrible company to work for, they do not care for their staff nor residents. They employ just about anyone as they can’t keep their staff for long. patients are left in bed till mid day, soaking wet and un cared for because they don’t have enough staff and refuse to get agency in to help. The Management are aware of this but don’t care

10 November 2020
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We take all feedback seriously and would always encourage people to use our confidential Speak Up Service for any issues that they don't feel comfortable raising to their manager, so that issues can be thoroughly investigated. Please find more information here: secure.ethicspoint.eu/domain/media/en/gui/102918/index.html We wish you all the best for the future.

Great

Great place to work, great loving and caring people, always new opportunities to expand your knowledge, and move up with the work place. always listened too.

10 November 2020

Friendly home environment, but stressful

The job is stressful with high demand. The salary would be acceptable, but the rash is too high compared to the money you can earn. Great team and able to work together. The staff is compassionate and the environment is friendly and like a small family. I enjoy to belong to this team. The support from the management is fair but not excellent due to the pressure and lack of time.

10 November 2020
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We take on board all feedback from our people so if there are issues you would like to raise please do speak to your manager so these can be reviewed. If you do not feel comfortable doing so, you can use our confidential Speak Up Service and the issue will be thoroughly investigated. Please find more information here: secure.ethicspoint.eu/domain/media/en/gui/102918/index.html

The management Team.are not honest

The new manager lied about a complaint I made, my views of Bupa was very positive, until I logged a complaint, and the manager lied... Arkley Care home, management are not honest, they have no respect and will.always cover up their lies. Staff are not treated fairly and if your not the managers pet, well goodluck.

10 November 2020
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Our managers have an open door policy to listen to feedback from their teams so we're sorry to hear this wasn't your experience as it doesn't reflect our culture or behaviours. We take all feedback seriously but encourage people to use our confidential Speak Up Service for any issues that they don't feel comfortable raising to their manager, so that any issues can be thoroughly investigated. Please find more information here: secure.ethicspoint.eu/domain/media/en/gui/102918/index.html We wish you all the best for the future.

very passionate and talented team!

During my stay with Bupa, I was able to enrich my knowledge within care via internaland and external trainings. I met highly knowledgeable people who went beyond their capacity to help me and support me! I am pleased to lead a team of amazing carers who always put the person first, and we built a high performing quality team, able to work under pressure and still produces outstanding results in terms of care and also as business results. We have always aimed at high quality feedbacks from our service users and we have always aimed to be the best local care provider.

Disgraceful Bradford Crossely House

Never seen such a awful Residential home. Seniors never listen to care assistant no form of communication and no team work. Care assistants over worked like robots. While some seniors are managements favourites and select the care assistants they want to work with or which floor they wish to work on. So why are other staff members treated differently??? Bupa has killed off equal rights in employment. Over worked, under payed lazy day staff always arguing with night staff and pulling faces over how many residence are awake in the morning. Sorry to say its meant to be about the residence when they want to get up they should decide. Not dragging them out of bed!!!!! lets drag you out of yours see how you like it. Managers have there heads stuck up there exterior do not see how decent staff are suffering and residence suffer because of no team work I consider this abuse!!!! but only the favourites are heard at Crossely House while the non-favourites suffer dragging every lazy staff members weight along. Always short staffed, current staff always suffer because of this management cannot look after there current staff forget about employing more. I would not recommend any one to apply for this position as I do not want them to suffer and be over worked to the bone while your flesh falls off. Please have mercy on yourself and spare yourself the torture.

Isn’t what it’s made out to be

During my induction training the home seemed amazing and I was so excited to start but once starting I soon realised it wasn’t what we were told. You are given about 3 days of shadowing and then get chucked in the deep end. Residents don’t get the care they deserve due to staff shortage. Morning break you don’t often get time to take and often you might miss the evening break. Paperwork isn’t always completed and personal care isn’t as the standard it should be

Best company

Bupa is the best company I worked for all the managers and nurses and carers are so lovely and caring. Everyone works to a very high standard in delivering high standard of person ventured care. The residents are are well cared for and its a great team. The whole team really work so hard and make a massive difference to peoples lives. I would really recommend anyone who wants to be part of BUPA.

Disappointment

Disappointed after a few weeks working as a senior staff, no standards, no quality of care, rushed all the time, induction was unorganized, all over the place.

Bupa

Alot of stress to deliver the job, clicky staff, useful training opportunities, not much break time allowance with a demanding job, very long hours can be undeniable

Bupa does not want to see own reality. It is not a serious company.

Bupa has lower standards compare with others. Very expensive facilities offered to the employees. No honour. Eg. The advertising sound like"a senior care can has the wage up to 10.40." I know a SHCA WHO was the only one who pass the clinical course with 100 percent and never ever had that wage, even worked for Bupa more then 10 years. If a carer is moving twice from a home to another, that person is not allowed to work for Bupa anymore which is not right if there is an management issue. E T C.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bupa. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Bupa