BuzzFeed Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Fellow (Former Employee) –  New York, NY5 August 2019
BF provides many perks like free lunches, snack bar, and occasional entertainments to keep things interesting. However, they don't compensate for the poor management and the lack of respect for ALL employees.
It's good work experience
Video Fellow (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA26 June 2019
Great work experience, but bad for mental health.
You have to be okay with the competitive nature and focus on building a portfolio. It sometimes felt like High School and I had to learn to deal with it.
Pros
learning more about my field and free lunches
Cons
It wasn't good for my mental health
Love this place
Mailroom Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA5 June 2019
This is filled with amazing employees. I've never worked with so many caring and kind individuals. My manager is amazing and there aren't enough great things to say about her. The company believes in work/life balance, and they encourage you to actually take time off. It would take a lot to make me leave here.
Pros
Free lunch twice a week. Relaxed environment. Great culture.
Cons
The money isn't great, but I've had worse.
Not my favorite
Director/Writer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA24 April 2019
I met a lot of wonderfully talented people there, but the management is infamously bad. They talk a big game about their mission but treat employees like spare parts to be replaced in the pursuit of that mission.
Very Creative Environment
Senior Video Producer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA8 April 2019
Very cool and creative environment, feels like a creative lab. It's a great place to start your career fresh our of college and learn about production and digital content. However the company is silo-ed and doesn't work with a lot of outside companies besides brands. Most of the people in leadership and management positions are inexperienced, and the overall company hasn't shared it's mission statement or overall quarterly or yearly goals outside of financials to hit.
Pros
Creative, Trendy, great place to learn if entry level.
Cons
Limited Growth past entry level, and too many unnecessary road blocks to get things done.
Was fun at the beginning.
Deputy News Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NY28 February 2019
When it was a true startup working out of tiny NYC offices, and for many years after, it was fun and experimental.

As it grew to an international organization, the mission became unclear and the culture more cautious.

The recent round of massive layoffs was handled so poorly that a lot of good will was squandered. Not just among those who were laid off, but among those left behind wondering how stable the company really is/was.
Pros
Free lunches, frequent parties, lots of celebrities in the offices.
Cons
Company's future uncertain.
BuzzFeed
Senior Video Producer, Creative Director (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA15 February 2019
It used to be really cool. It also used to be pretty grueling. Output was high, turnaround was fast, hours were long, goals were lofty. But putting out as much content as we did, we learned a lot, changed the landscape of video, and made some friends.
Pros
surrounded by talent, free lunch on mondays and wednesdays, decent parental leave
Cons
ambiguous goals, constantly reorganizing structure
Innovation and energy
Employee (Current Employee) –  United States10 December 2018
Fun, supportive environment and lots of talented colleagues.
Pros: energy, innovation, diversity
Cons: no union, big place so sometimes hard to find a groove at first
Excellent
Quality Assurance Engineer (Current Employee) –  New York, NY7 December 2018
Excellent place to work. I learned everyday I worked there, great team members who collaborate with each other very well. I loved working for BuzzFeed.
Poor management and no room for growth
Accounts Payable Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NY1 November 2018
Buzzfeed hires people who are incapable of managing a team since they have no experience or knowledge. Therefore, you are not being managed correctly as the person above you knows less than you do. I dealt with this first hand.They only promote people who they personally like, all others never get promoted and wind up getting pushed out as they hire new people to take over.I learned a lot while I was there but it is an experience that I have definitely regretted.
Pros
Free lunches, famous people, fun activities
Cons
When you go the fun activities you are penalized for not working
Great Place to Work
Finance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA15 October 2018
Very much still in start up phase but fantastic to work at. Nowhere else like it. Opportunity to move around and up if you show initiative and capabilities. Entrepreneurial minds thrive here.
Pros
Lunch 2x a week, breakfast on fridays, lean teams, creative license
Cons
long hours, underpaid
Great Learning Environment
Editorial Fellow (Former Employee) –  New York, NY30 July 2018
I was an Editorial Fellow after switching careers from science to digital media. It was an accepting environment that allowed me to get creative and try new things.
Fantastic place to work if you're passionate about writing
Associate Editor (Former Employee) –  New York, NY20 July 2018
Fun and very young work environment. Most hours spent working at computer. Learned to work in high pressure situations, all mistakes are public knowledge. I loved working with my team - everyone around you is genuinely hilarious. Potential for growth within company didn't seem extremely high. Hardest part of the job was the competitive aspect of it. Your daily ranking (how many views your posts get) is public and all editors look at it throughout the day. Most enjoyable part of the job is the work culture. It's insanely awesome; you become spoiled very quickly with the perks.
Pros
catered lunches 3x a week, snack room, gym discounts, laid back work atmosphere, funny and very creative bunch to work around
Cons
Slightly cliquey, high pressure, not a lot of potential for growth, mediocre pay for nyc
Fun place to work at
Sr. Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NY14 July 2018
I enjoyed my time at buzzfeed. Lots of on site benefits, such as lunches, quiet spaces, and unlimited snacks. Room to grow within the company and a very chill work place.
Productive and fun workplace with a ping pong table
Freelance Director/Editor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA7 July 2018
This is a fun place to work. Really fun and awesome people. I love that they continuously make content. I would love to keep in touch with them and grow with them in the future.
Summary
Cinematographer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA16 May 2018
BuzzFeed was a beautiful place to work. However, the state of Branded Content is in a very fickle and unstable place, therefore there was no job security or opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Free Lunches, Awesome fun activities, Amazing kitchen with foods and drinks, nice facilities
Cons
Not giving anyone a full time job, only freelance contracts and still expecting the same result from their "employees"
Nice workplace culture, but horrible management
Branded Content Editor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA9 May 2018
BuzzFeed is very focused on its workplace culture. It's a laid back environment with no dress code, so people are generally comfortable. It's very accepting of different types of people and lifestyles, and doesn't try to limit expression. This is particularly nice for younger writers just starting out in the industry, since it's not as hectic or demanding as most other options.

However, the company's laid back attitude extends too far. It leads to lax management, especially when they launch new projects. I saw the launch of several new directives while I worked there, and none of them were thought out before launch. The results were confusion among the employees, an inability to communicate by the managers, and a lot of general friction between departments.

Then there was the company's first big layoff, which was handled horribly and left a sour taste in everyone's mouths, returning employees included. The company showed a lack of respect for its workforce, again a lack of planning or understanding, and an inability to handle things in a professional way. I've been part of layoffs before, and of course they're always a bummer, but I've never seen a company treat their employees so poorly before.

I would say that BuzzFeed is a perfectly nice place to work and gain some experience early in your career, especially since they're willing to promote fairly quickly and give you advanced job titles that most companies probably wouldn't. So it can look good on a resumé. But this isn't a place where you'll want to stay for a significant portion of your career, because management
  more... is just too much of a mess. It pretty much ruins the positive aspects of the company.  less
Pros
Free snacks, catered lunches, flexible work-from-home policy
Cons
Terrible management, lack of direction for the company, lack of planning during development phases
Fun environment to work
Production Technology Specialist (Security) (Current Employee) –  West Hollywood, CA21 April 2018
Great place to grow as a young professional. Not a lot a growth potential for Intermediate level employees. The best Employee Resource Group that I've ever had the pleasure of working with.
Not a bad place to work, but only if you have the right manager.
Senior Editor (Current Employee) –  New York, NY3 March 2018
Great time working here. Collaborative, intelligent people all around, and intense pressure to do well. If you have the right manager, you will succeed.
Fun, productive work place
Editorial Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NY21 February 2018
BuzzFeed has a great working environment where everyone feels a part of the team. During my time there as an intern, I felt as if I was a full-time employee, integrated into BuzzFeed's job culture. There's always room to grow and develop your skills there and the communication between co-workers is exceptional.