BWS

BWS Employee Reviews

Australia200 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Good for uni students - but like other retail, leave ASAP

chat with customers and be very socialmove stock around storeclean storehandle theft appropriatelywork with other team membersopen and close store (depends)

Have always been flexible with me and my family commitments. Everyday is different it’s a fun casual environment. They divide great training and advancement options

Safety a concern

Safety is a major concern as stores are constantly robbed day or evening and security is nonexistent! Extremely dangerous for young staff!!! Policy is to let the thief take what he wants and do nothing! I’m sorry but that’s poor management and lack of concern for it’s employees altogether!

Not worth your mental health

The managers have no regards for their staff. Even when you book days off well in advance the continue to roster you on. Then get mad when you tell them you cannot work. There is no work life balance whatsoever and it’s chronically understaffed and tries to overbook each staff member

Amazing company to work for

Best job I’ve ever had. My only con was doing jobs that were meant for management not casuals, my boss would leave early all the time leaving me with palettes of stock. But I still enjoyed the job

Pros

Lots of incentives

Cons

Can be dangerous depending what area I worked as I am a woman

Really good, chill part time job.

Really enjoyable flexible job, however the management situation at mine and a lot of stores are always changing. Would recommend it for anyone looking for part time work

Pros

Relaxed, flexible

Cons

Not enough manager

Relaxed and fun work environment

Luckily all of my work colleagues are around my age and at university so we got along very well. Work culture is fantastic. Work environment is relaxed but can get a little hectic in peak hours as expected. The best place to work if you are pursuing other things such as being a full time uni student.

great place to work

Bws is a great place to work. It is extremely fair pay with great working conditions. The job is fairly simple and you do not need to be an expert. Bws looks for employees that build relations with regular customers rather than alcohol experts. Be aware, however, that you will likely be working independently, including opening/closing the store. Because of this, there are limited shifts available (i only worked one 3-4 hour shift per week at one point). Also be aware that there is heavy lifting, such as stacking and carrying slabs. otherwise, it was an excellent place to work.

Not very organised

No Manager, short staffed, staff not turning up, being left alone all shift or all day. Can be very stressful if you get busy, especially if you're left alone on delivery days to deal with stock. On shift by yourself so no back up or support when dealing with abusive customers. Have flat out refused to work alone or I'm not doing the shift at all

Slow, Lonely, Terrible management

Incredibly slow work environment, next to none workplace interaction, depending on what your shifted for, closing and opening procedures. overall ok workplace, just bad treatment by management.

Pros

Decent Casual Pay, Ok discounts, ok hours

Cons

Constantly working on your own, Terrible management, minimal workplace interaction

Great staff Great management

Liquor Team member. Just filled up fridges, cleaned, did stock take and served customers. Great jobs if you are studying. Management and work culture was great.

Pros

Great staff

Cons

Honestly, no cons

Fun workplace, rewarding, productive

Loved the feeling of helping nice people out! Knowing that I would leave the store how I would like to find it (fridges stocked, store clean, floor stocked and faced). Great people to work with!

Pros

Staff discounts, made friends

Cons

Some annoying customers

Reasonable place to work

Difficult to gain promotion despite receiving some great feed back from customers.On one occasion I was given a note of appreciation along with a bottle of wine as a thank you, which was appreciated.

Pros

Discount card appreciated

Cons

One manager extremely difficult to get along with and her superiors were aware of it.

Great team based, relaxed work life

Your daily routine at BWS consists of putting away multiple pallets of stock, serving customers and stocking shelves. While this sounds like a lot, when you have a great, supportive team who can handle the workload equally, it wont feel like your doing much work at all. Management is great and dont mind you relaxing on shift provided the work gets done and you maintain a friendly yet professional front for the customers.

Pros

Relaxed, simple, friendly

Cons

Repetitve, abusive customers as with all retail

Great place to be employed

I love BWS, Great people - Great place! Good discounts, friendly staff, education is key. Huge range of products, multiple locations around Australia.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Aggressive customers

Great work ethic

If you like working with customers Service and working with other team members and enjoy working together and to enjoy atmosphere to have trust and honestly and appreciate the help and support

Pros

Good pay and good hours

Cons

N/a

Productive and fun, people persons only need apply!

Great fun atmosphere if you love customers and helping assist in service then this is the job for you. You will need a passion for Hospitality and like a happy vibe, but also you need to be serious as there’s a lot of responsibilities you will be doing. You need to focus and be strong to handle the Heavy work load and the temperature of the Cool rooms.My experience was around 30 hours a week and a good pay as i did the Sunday at $35.00 an hour. Managed to save a decent amount while working here.

Pros

Freebies, fun, social, meeting people.

Cons

Heavy lifting & freezing temperature

Fun workplace, Decent Pay, Not enough hours

I was working as a casual, they pay was somewhat good ~25 per hour. The hours each week and shift times were wildly unpredictable, I didnt recieve enough hours to financially support myself. I loved working there, I got to meet many people from different walks of life. Management was very good, sometimes a bit detached and bossy.

Pros

Fun workplace, minor staff discounts, get to meet people

Cons

Low to okay pay, unpredictable shift times

Great staff, poor middle and upper management

Unfortunately at bws a manager be it area manager or store manager can ruin the whole working experience at bws. Don't get me wrong, there are some great store managers and fulltimers working their butts off in the toowoomba area. But others are just there to brown nose to the area manager, hoping for a slim chance to be promoted in the bottleneck company structure that is bws. If you're a hardworking, genuine person, look elsewhere. Your efforts will go unnoticed apart from your immediate team members. And promotion is laughable. You have to be area manager's favourite to get that.

Pros

Great team members, some managers are great too and share the hardworking ethic.

Cons

Brown nose managers, arrogant area managers, drunk customers, theiving customers, older customers trying to buy alcohol illegally for under-age, promotion is a fantasy in this company.

Hopeless

Wouldn’t let friends work yherthe co meany have no idea how to run a shop and don’t treat the part time workers with respect the management lost temper on many occasions just to get his own way

Sales Assistant

They don't respect their staff! Hated working there in the end! It really depends on your manager at the time. I couldn't wait to leave. I gave them 10 years and got no respect from them..

Pros

The day I left was the happiest of my life

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BWS. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare BWS with

• BWS
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?