Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

BWS Employee Reviews

Australia178 reviews
Good environment of people, it's very fast-paced and there's good job security and opportunity within the business. Management is a bit old-fashioned and making change happen is near impossible - a lot of legacy processes in place.
Worked at BWS for a while now, management sucks big time, we put up with months of pays being wrong while the SDA union as well as higher up management did absolutely nothing about it, store CEO is an idiot and has no idea how this store runs. Good Luck working at BWS.
Pros
5% discount on alcohol, barely a "pro"
Cons
too many or too little hours
I’m a 2ic I run around like a crazy person while the store manager takes the credit and sits on her a## while I do the load which I have work injuries because she sits on her a## texting her boyfriend or staring at the same emails that she’s checked 100 times in the day. Oh and if there’s any chance of leaving the store to do a “meeting” or share stock to other stores she’s onto it. she’ll come back just in time to relieve you for a break then go home. Any excuse not to be there, where myself working hard to get my own store so I can actually get the help from a staff that actually want to be there and do the job we got hired for. Save yourself applying for this time wasting job it will take you years of killing yourself and your back to just get a 2ic role, don't know how much longer I can keep doing this job. I lost a family member and they told me I can only have 2 days off later on found out by sda union I was entitled to 5days off for a death of a parent. What a joke. Oh and causals and 2ics you can work 9hours and you only get a half an hour break that's it don't think about any 15min breaks that you're entitled to because you gotta do the load that the manager doesn't wanna do herself. They say they're there for you mental health saying they'll support you but that's just as fake as their promises for a step up. I ask for time off as I'm a 2ic and my store manager gives me the look like I killed her pet dog if I ask for time off. When I do get the time off she messes with my roster to give me terrible shifts while she lives a lush life of holidays most of the year or - more...
Pros
5% discount with staff card
Cons
Not a good company to work for very political and management don’t care about there staff so long as they are ok. Work every weekend and every time the manager didn’t want to.
A good place to work, can be high paced with challenging situations at various times of the year.
You can a lot as you are required to handle a wide range of duties to cover all that a manager needs to do.
I love my new job, the team I work with are friendly, helpful and I think in time will be like family. My manager genuinely cares about her team. Fun Friday taste testing is a blast.
BWS is a great company to work for. At the time, I was a university student and working for BWS fit really well with my already tight weekly schedule. My managers were often very understanding of the workload I faced whilst at uni and did their best to accommodate for it. Generally, the workplace culture is positive. Some stores I would come across them very differently in terms of their way of doing things.
be fit, stay active, have fun with regular customers. Changes all the time in a good way. Room to work at other sites if you are a casual team member so never boring
Concerns constantly raised about staffing, workplace safety or mental health were more or less ignored. Further complaints about workplace harassment also went ignored. Going from a detached casual to a fully involved trainee 2IC, the holes within the company in terms of support and training became more like a punch in the face than anything else. Begged for help. Got none.
Pros
5% of purchases. If you like mixing it up between moving stock and serving customers, it's good.
Cons
A lack of ethics, morality and transperancy within upper management, their IT and marketing departments are hopeless, Always make you do the same job 2-3 times because they didnt proof read what they published
i really enjoyed working for bws as there were great team members to work with, great team benefits, and produced great opportunities to grow within the business
The company creates a very supportive workplace with a very supportive and understanding team. Jobs and tasks are easy to undertake, and if any issue arise there is always someone to help or show the correct process
I enjoyed working with the manager as he led by Example and everyday was busy loading shelves dealing with customers and negotiating extra sales on specials for customers.
Overall I enjoyed every day I worked at BWS
was a great place to work, the other employees were great, the customers are great to have a joke with, all in all a really fun place to work. recommend
Pros
fun
Cons
didn't get part time
can be fun and stressfull but exciting all round u just dont know what to expect there could be a family event which is fun cause the kids friends and other members of family can participate and u all get to meet new people as well as having fun but best thing is you get paid for it why sit at home and be miserable cause u have no funds to do anything when u can get out thyere and make people smile and have fun doing so as well aS MEET NEW PEOPLE AND MAKE NEW FRIENDS AS WELL AS GET PAID DOING SO
Absolute waste of time working for this mob. I was hired as a casual in November last year as a Casual to help out(Not hired as Xmas casual). After ticking 25-30 hours a week i get 4 hours sometimes 5 hours a week and only once hired, was then told i am only here to help out when the boss has to step out. They call your boss a Store CEO to make them feel smart i presume, weird but whatever.
I would avoid this company like a bad smell, easiest most mind numbing work in the world i was left staring out the window into space most of my day.

Culture is great with some lovely staff, just incredibly bad management.

Seriously unless you are okay with getting paid about $100-$200 a week and you can survive go for it! Otherwise i am so grateful i never left my other job for this "opportunity".
great environment where you get to epcerince different things and lots of opportunites are presented. love my time working here atm, keen to see where things go in the future.
Days involve disassembling usually a couple (or a few on busy weeks) of pallets of alcohol, while keeping an eye out for customers needing assistance.
Some days are stressful with plenty of work and some days are laid back with not much to do; definitely depends on the season and around holidays.
I like getting to know regular customers and interacting with them on a daily basis.
Very physical work, great customers and if you have a good manager everything runs very smoothly. Solid hours and break times, but sometimes you have to work into the night.
Managment do as they please, if they dont like you then they will drop all hours. No matter what your sales are. You are basically only wanted for 4 hours a day to unload the pallets and do cleaning. Oh and make sales.
While you spend the day running between stocking shelve, breaking down the load, serving customers and cleaning the store, there is still a fun atmosphere within the team.

Having a great team around you helps with learning the ins and outs of the role and the store manager and 2IC were always willing to help if a problem arose.
Pros
Extra hours are available if your willing to ask for them
Cons
During the Tourist season, customer demands can sometimes seem unreasonable