BWS Employee Reviews

It's decent
Casual (Current Employee) –  Burleigh Heads QLD11 March 2019
It's not the worst job in the world but it's not the best in the world. It depends on your colleagues and where your store is situated, this makes a big difference.
Pros
Decent discounts, get to work by yourself sometimes
Cons
Long hours, decent pay
Poor management, no advancement opportunities
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria22 February 2019
When I first started working for BWS, I had a store manager who was experienced at his position and offered opportunities for me to thrive in the business and receive adequate hours to fit my schedule. I was provided with an opportunity to become a manager in training and learnt all opening and closing procedures, and was thoroughly taught how to conduct most required operations.

Due to studying circumstances, I relocated to another town and was thrown around stores. The first store I was positioned at provided me with three shifts in the whole 8 months I was there. The manager was extremely rude and said I would be placed below "all the boys who did footy training because they were more important". I was then relocated to another store with a high theft rate and was not supplied with any training on how to deal with these situations. I had several confronting encounters with intoxicated individuals and had even been asked to replace a staff member who was previously assaulted by an individual the night before. The manager at this particular store was condescending and did not allow me to perform tasks outside of serving despite my previous training. Additionally, he would roster me on for shifts I had not agreed to nor been notified about and would abuse me if I did not attend.

Fast forward and there was an incident due to misinformation passed on by several managers. The manager of my current store sent nasty e-mails about myself accusing myself of lying. Human resources favoured myself which resulted in the area manager and several store managers excluding me from working
  more... at other stores.

After working there for almost 4 years, I was not given any shifts over the Christmas period and staff from other stores were called to work before I was even approached to work at my own store. I felt like I was treated extremely poorly and would not recommend working there. Furthermore, most of the management in my area made me feel particularly pressured into agreeing to shifts if they had no staff and would send extremely blunt replies if I was not able to attend the shift due to prior commitments.
Pros
Hourly rate, 5% discount
Cons
Management, pressure to work
Great Place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC7 February 2019
I love working at BWS, for the simple fact that the boss looks after us an that our customers are great! I can stand there and enjoy a chat with a customer and wish them a great day and hope that i made their day a little better as they did mine.
Bad Store
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Keysborough VIC4 February 2019
Unfortunately I didn't have a great experience with my store but overall working at other stores was always fun always friendly mangers at other store.
Steady work with Fun Atmosphere
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Colac VIC23 January 2019
A typical day at work requires making the shop look neat and tidy and also filling up the shop with goods from out the back.
I have learnt how to be a more assertive employee and confidant in what I do.
Management is awful. Nearly every BWS has poor management and employee relations. They manage the store well, just not the people that work there.
Workplace culture is fun and there are a lot of jokes. Be sure to make anyone know if the jokes go too far though.
Dealing with bad workmates is the hardest part of the job, if someone acts badly then you should fix the problem instantly as it will escalate and increase to the point where people will quit. Dealing with bad customers is easy as you only see them a couple of times but the only reason why many business have good staff turnover is when they like who they are working with.
Most enjoyable part of the job, the reason why I'm sad to quit, is how peaceful and non stressful the job is. Sure you have deadlines but it's about the customers who enter the store that are happy. They have just finished their shift and are coming in to buy their alcohol. Having nice and really kind customers that you can not only talk to without you being a robot, but you also see them come in again and again, which makes you remember their names and start to want to come into work to see them also.
Just watch out for management and stop bad mouthing straight away.
Pros
Non stressful environment
Cons
Your Ideas aren't taken seriously
Do not work at bws
Casual Liquor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor NSW20 January 2019
Not great environment to work.
Never received most alleged lunch breaks.
Unorganised shift placements and pay systems.
Physical and verbal assaults DO NOT get reported properly.
Unfair dismissal is a common occurrence.
Shocking contract hours.
Pros
Cons
Terrible
Potentially a great job, ruined by the people
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD9 January 2019
There is very little opportunity for career progression, those who do progress are the ones with no commitments outside of work and are willing to work extra hours unpaid. The workplace culture is at times toxic, you are mostly required to work alone and breaks are seldom given. The single largest problem myself and many of my colleagues have is with the management. An appalling lack of knowledge, ability or people skills leads to managers who shouldn't be in a position of power and are difficult to respect or work for.
Pros
Decent pay, flexible at times for uni
Cons
Poor management
Productive and busy
LIQUOR ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC6 January 2019
BWS was a busy but good place to work. Some customers are a bit aggressive. Plenty of shifts and plenty of things to do if the store gets quiet. I would recommend working there.
Pros
Plenty of Shifts
Cons
Customers
Some managers are wonderful, others are stuck up.
Liquor Sales Assistant (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Wilsonton QLD26 November 2018
Customers are great and so is the staff, however some managers like to hire their own staff and get rid of the old staff when they come into the shop. Some managers also like to think they are better then you.
Good place to work during Uni
Part Time Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC/ Brisbane QLD8 October 2018
BWS is a great place to work during Uni and as a casual job, how ever it doesn't really allow for much growth and its hard to move any where within the company. I have learnt alot from this job but I am ready to move on to bigger and better things.
Fun and hard working
Liquor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lavington NSW15 September 2018
A typical day at BWS included making sure the palettes out the back were unpacked and the stock put away, fill and face the shelves and cold room, serve customers, cash handling and eftpos, stock rotation, general cleaning, opening and closing, safe and till balancing.
Good work environment, very flexible
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Palm Beach QLD19 August 2018
Overall i'm very happy with my current job at BWS. The team is good, good work place and I really enjoy working there. My only 'issue' is that I want more hours during the day time as i'm currently only getting late night shifts.
It’s ok, if you love being alone and working this job if for you
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Victoria14 August 2018
Good job if you really enjoy people & alcohol otherwise wouldn’t bother even if it is an easy job to get. Good money aswell for practically standing and scanning alcohol and then restocking empty shelves.
But I end up talking to wine bottles from boredom so beware *all depends on store if it’s a busy one though
Pros
Good money, Friendly Customers, Easy enough
Cons
Worrying about safety as your by yourself most of the time, Horrible customers who think they’re gods gift to the world, Extremely boring by yourself for hours
fun and challenging
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Broadmeadows VIC20 July 2018
rewarding, challenging, ability to adapt, customer engagement, fun. a job were you use and utilise your own skills and abilities to achieve sales and better customer experience, be authentic and always learning.
Great place to work. Fun and busy work environment.
2IC (Current Employee) –  Erina Fair NSW20 July 2018
Great place to work. Fun and busy work environment. Great career advancement opportunities for hard workers. Fabulous staff and management . Regularly promotes from within, and mentors talented staff members
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Physically demanding at times.
yep
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Perth WA19 July 2018
great place tow rk has been while since i have worked there so a lot may have changed. only problem is you are left to run a store on your own. can't comment anymore.
reliable friendly company with good security
Liquor Assistant (Former Employee) –  perth, gold coast, dunsborough, margaret river10 June 2018
worked for bws for 10 years and made great friends and great contacts, would highly recommend to anyone chasing a secure rewarding career. Just don't film people stealing stuff and post it online if you wanna keep your job lol
Pros
alcohol product knowledge
Cons
dealing with thieves
family orientated fun place
Liquor Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mudgee NSW29 May 2018
I loved working with the staff here as we classed each other as family and were always there to help each other. the busy environment and great taste in music always made it interesting and fun
good wok environment
Sales Assistant (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Sunshine Coast QLD26 May 2018
Can be difficult to deal with intoxicated customers but otherwise a good place to work. Potential for armed hold ups but they are pretty rare. Good training though.
Pros
lots of discounts
Cons
6day week some times
Friendly people, both as a customer and when i was an employee.
Service assistant (Former Employee) –  Midland WA3 May 2018
I have shopped there in the past frequently and have always been satisfied with the service.
When i began work there, i found the methods of training to be very productive and informative.
A clean and well managed establishment, which i encourage others to take advantage of if they desire to develop a good work ethic.
Pros
Well managed and friendly staff
Cons
N/a