Caltex Employee Reviews

Low skill workplace with poor career progression
Customer Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Forest Hill VIC6 June 2019
Use little to no skills on a daily basis with no opportunities to advance within the company. There is also rarely a time you work with anybody so working alone in a petrol station can get VERY boring and old quite quickly.

There is also NO staff discount or recognition. Makes you feel undervalued and useless.
Pros
Cons
No staff discount, work alone, low pay, low skill gap.
Fun and easy-going workplace
Team Member of Boost Juice (Former Employee) –  Marsden Park NSW2 June 2019
I learnt a lot about customer service and safe food handling.
The team works really well, though sometimes you have to work by yourself.
The payment is not much but considering that it's an "easy" job (compared to other fast food stores) is fine.
You have to do a lot of online training though (time consuming and not paid).
Pros
Easy going environment, fun
Cons
Low payment, only 25% discount as a benefit
RETAIL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Monkland QLD22 May 2019
They stopped giving me shifts without any warning or explanation. Very unprofessional with the way they deal with situations and talk to other staff.
My first part time job
Customer Service Representative (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Redbank QLD1 May 2019
Being a student in Australia, I am really lucky that I had done my part time job at this company. The management were very understanding and was supporting with my studies as well. I recommend this job for the students who would like to have less stress at work and concentrate more on studie
Safe environment
Depot Operations Clerk (Current Employee) –  Silverwater NSW28 April 2019
Positive vibe around the office. The company has a good reputation and it`s all deserved. Very attentive in details. Policies and procedures are followed by everyone.
Pros
Could arrange my starting hours. Management very comprehensive.
Cons
Very slow growth. Could take maybe 5 years to grow professionally.
Great working with lots of people but poor site management
Console Operator (Former Employee) –  Long Jetty17 April 2019
Only lasted just under month. Rushed training then you are by yourself after 22 hrs , then expected to know everything and be perfect at it. Good with flexibility on work if on good side of supervisor. Our supervisor seemed to have a vendetta and each shift found something to warn me on. Even when you dot the i and cross the T it wasn’t good enough. Worst time of my life. Very disappointing as was looking forward getting back to work and being part of such a large organisation. Sure not all locations like this.
Pros
Working with different people and on your own
Cons
Supervisor had no people skills and does not encourage workers
Great Learning place
Customer Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC10 April 2019
People who want to start as a customer service attendant. Caltex is the best learning place and an amazing platform for them. Since Caltex is being managed by Calstores you can see a clear vision in their goals.
24/7 company
Operate and monitor console device and sales (Former Employee) –  South Hedland WA 672224 February 2019
grave yard shift is scary in South Hedland especially when there are only women working at night. Locals can and do get abusive, so if you are good at defusing situations (as i am) you will be fine.
Pros
working indoors
Cons
working at night with no security is quite intimadating
No communication or fair work
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sebastopol VIC18 February 2019
Stayed working for a year and found that the owner didn't listen to staff and went through people quicker than someone filling their car.
There was no communication on tasks or from other staff at no fault of their own it was because of this the store suffered.
you would be "let go" if you didn't have full availability including night shift even though at my interview I was told I wouldn't be put on as I explained I couldn't do them.
The owner would get frustrated if your children were unwell and you couldn't make it in.
Overall wasn't a pleasant place to work.
Pros
The pay.
Cons
No communication or fairness.
Caltex are not a good company
Customer Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Baldivis WA1 February 2019
Don't like hardworking staff . Manager's don't know what they are doing and choose to alienate long term staff instead of working with them! Disappointing!
Pros
Cons
treatment of staff
Caltx
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA28 January 2019
there are so many Caltex's, i worked at one, if you want to you should do, its not the greatest gig in the world, but will give you a chance to get by,
Company in decline
Part time consultant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW16 January 2019
Although a household name, Caltex has lost it's way in recent years. The companies main focus on shareholder return means that conditions for employees and franchisees is not what they once were.
Pros
Good benefits
Typical big retail company behaving badly in the league of 7-11
Customer Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Cairns QLD13 January 2019
When applying for a job a lot of emphases was placed on values like honesty, integrity, boldness. In practice, however, there is very much a culture of "If I don't know about it, nothing's wrong". If one were to be bold enough to speak up against wrongdoing, management is quick to squash negative feedback. Upon contacting HR Advisory for anonymous feedback, the response given was to request store change and Business Manager was notified - there goes anonymity!
Strongly recommend collating evidence (pictures/recordings) of wrongdoings that can be supplied to media and other authorities if needed.
Advise to present and future staff - Caltex will not lose sleep over the welfare of its employees and offers only lip service to doing the right thing. Cover your own backsides and have evidence.
Pros
Reasonable work life balance
Cons
Untrustworthy management
N/a
Customer Service Representative/Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Albany WA12 January 2019
N/A on a review, can't say to much..
Invoices n manage invoices
Ordering n stock taking
Rosters
Training, implementing rules and regulations
Cashier and banking ( Roll the days )
Pros
N/a
Cons
Very long hours
Retail job with a lot more stress and responsibility
Barista (Former Employee) –  Redbank Plains QLD3 January 2019
Its your average retail job with the added pressure of keeping the shop safe and secure after hours to avoid burglaries and drive-offs.
Managers are pressured to be strict on regular and human mistakes and can get pretty old. One manager would watch the days surveillance to catch employees out and would not take it easy on discipline. The locked door policy can be a huge huge pain and its hard to watch people get injured through the glass without being aloud out to help. To contrast its also hard to be abused through the night window everyday and to have a constant fear or robbery. Tills had to be perfectly balanced or we'd be spoken to so most days Id spend 15 minutes back and recount the till until I either found the missing money or found the cause of the mistake. Driveoffs and shoplifting was a huge stressor for us as we would get disciplined for each instance (yet we aren't allowed to intervene with shoplifters or driveoffs)
Pros
Good team members, relaxed Vibe after hours when no manager is around, Decent pay if you're over 21
Cons
Strict managers, pay for under-21 year-olds is terrible, lack lustre security in Foolery locations, high expectations
Fun place to work
Customer Service Attendant (casual) (Current Employee) –  Hobart TAS26 December 2018
Caltex has been a great place to work, with good management and great team to work with. Talking to customers would be the best part of the job. I have learned good and effecrivve communication skills by working in this place.
okay work place
Customer Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Benaraby QLD12 December 2018
was an average place to work. I learnt how to perform fuel dips and gas checks. the hardest part of the job was the really busy time with not many workers on shift
Pros
casual rate of pay
Cons
early opening hours
Fabulous place to work
Depot Operations Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kingaroy QLD11 December 2018
For a big company, it had compassion which I didn't think they would as I had a medical issue that meant that I couldn't work for 4 months and they held my job for me.
early starts
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Exmouth WA 670728 November 2018
Typical day at work started early 4:45am I would come in a turn everything on and start my shift.
I learnt customer service skills and money handling.
management was ok and the workplace could get boring as there was only ever 2 people on at one time.
Friendly team
Console Operator (Former Employee) –  Port Of Brisbane QLD28 November 2018
Longstanding and friendly team members.
Casual hours available from 1 to 3 days per week.
Strict timelines to complete duties.
Great safety procedures.