Calvary Employee Reviews

productive and stimulating
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  North Adelaide SA10 April 2019
-admin duties
-managing all recycling bins and demolition bins
-accounts payable and receivable for company
-banking
-ordering stock required by employees
-customer service making sure all customers needs are answered and completed.
Pros
friendly enviroment
Expects a lot for not a lot
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  New South Wales10 March 2019
Calvary pay the absolute lowest wages that they can get away with paying, at every turn there is a loop hole in which they exploit to pay as little as possible.
For example, when working in the community I started at 8 am and finished at four, I had several clients on my run with the 10 or 15 minutes to get to each client. This time driving was unpaid, there was no fuel allowance. Calvary get away with this by claiming each client is a new place of work, so as a worker you are effectively driving to a 'new' job. At the end of the day I lost at least an hour in pay because of time spent driving to jobs and then on top of that I had to pay for fuel. A complete scam.
I now work in a residence. In one shift doing the same role, I do not receive one rate of pay, rather several. If I give out medication my rate of pay goes up but only for the hour that I give medication, if I am cleaning, the rate goes down and so on. My pay slip is indecipherable there are so many different rates.
These are just a couple of examples of a company that values you with token gestures of Coles vouchers for good work but then utterly devalues the work you do at every other turn, where it really counts.
Lower management are helpful and do their best. Otherwise it's a complex and confusing management system, if you have a query with your pay, for example... good luck talking to someone. If you have the choice. Work somewhere else.
Pros
Lovely client, great staff, flexible hours
Cons
Pay level terrible, the company literally takes you for a ride
Unprofessional Coordinator.
Support Worker (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Remote NT29 November 2018
Working in remote areas is very difficult and requires all staff to work together and as a team. I didn't experience this with the coordinator of the facility where i worked for a very short time. Head office coordinator, facility coordinator and the nursing staff all stick together and do not include the support workers or the residents in decision making. You are told how it is going to be and you have to just grin and bear it. Residents and staff members dont get a choice. Coordinator and Nurse have their favorites and those staff members are treated differently than the majority.
Pros
Work Colleagues and Location
Cons
Very poor equipment for residents that is old, stained and outdated, Poor Practices, Coordinator unapproachable.
Great clients.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Tasmania22 May 2018
Great clients but management leaves a lot to be desired. You don't get paid for using your car between clients. They pay you less for doing domestic assistance and the hourly rate is less than other organisations. High turnover of support workers and no access to upper management. Not enough hours.
Pros
Great clients and flexible shifts.
Cons
No reimbursement for car use, no access to upper management. High turnover
professional, well equiped and friendly
Medical volunteer (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT24 April 2018
The hospital is well equiped with professional staff. I found my work experience overall to be excellent. The staff I worked with were helpful and open to questions.
great place to work
House Keeper (Former Employee) –  Hobart TAS28 February 2018
my job was cleaning the patients rooms and wards I enjoyed every part of it management was great to work for everyone was in a team environment all different work cultures which mixed it up and made it fun
Pros
meeting people
Cons
long hard hours
calm place to be
Administrative Officer Level (Current Employee) –  Bruce ACT17 December 2017
Good working environment with collegues committed to work.
Caring colleaues
Motivated colleaues
Management could do with some improverment.
Inflexible hours
Pros
Caring people
Cons
Inflexible hours
Flexible working hours, competent reception staff, supportive working environment
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Fullarton SA 506323 October 2017
Working in a community capacity with a variety of people registered for care with Calvary Care, I enjoyed a variety of experience, the ability to communicate well with many different personalities and meet the needs of community members who preferred to remain in their own homes, rather than enter supported care facilities. A well-run facility with support from the clerical staff.
Pros
Flexibility in job situations
Cons
Need a reliable car and be prepared to be flexible in meeting client needs.
Unequal workloads, obscure processes
Support Worker (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Eastern Suburbs VIC18 October 2017
Calvary does offer ongoing training to its Support Workers and the pay rates are comparable to other providers in community care. However, Support Workers do not receive a mileage allowance for the use of their car, which can become expensive if they have a long way to travel each day.
It became apparent at Support Worker meetings that there were inequitable workloads. Some people were overworked while others received only a few shifts. Moreover, there was an unequal distribution of the type of work offered, which affected pay rates
(Domestic Assistance pays less than Personal Care).

Calvary's community services have been dropped by at least one provider in Melbourne because of its unreliability. That is a shame because there are some nice people working for the organisation. However, until processes are refined, readily accessible to all and office staff interacting with clients develop better people skills, it will be an uphill battle for the organisation to compete with more professional competitors.
Pros
Wide coverage of areas across Melbourne, uniforms are good, pay rates competitive, training opportunities excellent
Cons
Too many short shifts, unequal workloads, lack of contact between Support Workers and Client Service Officers who allocate shifts, lack of a positive culture
Fullfilling duties in helping communities, unfortunately organization is unprofessional workplace without proper procedures
CSO (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC15 September 2017
High expectations of output without supports . Lack of procedures hinder the work. Management expectations of CSO to work beyond the job descriptions as responsibilities are often being passed around without clear boundaries . Unclear hierarchy without appropriate communication process among departments especially when incidents and complex problems arise. CSO excepted to solve problems even though is beyond their capacity and there aren't any manual and processes available . Not an inclusive organization with its diversity, zero diversity management with recruitment and learning development.
Pros
Can be flexible with leave and family commitments
Cons
Not enough supports, lack of systematic procedures, conflicting
Productive workplace
Clinical Placement (Former Employee) –  Wagga Wagga NSW10 July 2017
All of the staff are willing to help out other students, staff, and health professionals. The work environment was professional yet welcoming and fun.
Productive, fun, friendly staff
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Wagga Wagga NSW7 June 2017
Little sister company of Marry, this is what we called it.
Small hospital but the number of patients was admitted can be rated as a medium hospital capacity.
Friendly people to work with and brilliant nurses who work hard under staffing with an excellent nursing care.
Pros
Providing good nursing care
Cons
Under staffing
Nice place to work with great location less parking problems
Endorse Enrolled Nurse (Current Employee) –  ACT ACT30 May 2017
Calvary is a good organization to work with. The vast majority of the staff are very friendly and cooperative. Management is supportive and provide appropriate and timely advice and recommendations if required.
Fulfilling, supportive and challenging environment.
RN Pallative Care Oncology (Former Employee) –  Launceston TAS8 May 2017
Throughout my course of working I learnt to do Oncology along with many other practices as things are constantly changing. Doing Oncology treatment whilst working was enjoyable, fulfilling and at times very busy. This however did not bother me as the workplace was a great supportive environment between both the patients and the staff. Although there are many rewarding and enjoyable parts of the job, personally, I found that the hardest part of the job was to tell a significant other of the patient that they had died. You learn so much about the patients and significant others over the course of their treatment, trying to provide them the best quality of life whilst being treated.
Pros
Good working conditions and team environment.
Cons
Under staffed on the occasion.
Productive and inclusive work environment
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  Canberra ACT Bruce5 May 2017
At Calvary I was able to learn and master new skills and meet new people whilst learning. I learnt new skills such as; being able to use multiple menu computer systems, measure and prepare supplements as well as more basic jobs such as stock. Overall a lovely workplace.
Pros
new skills
Cons
Only volunteering opportunities
Great working environment
Assisting patients (Current Employee) –  Caulfield VIC 31625 February 2017
Great working environment and all staff and management are so lovely and very helpful at all stage when I need assist and help. there job security work load is great.
calvary hospital is a good place to work
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT20 April 2016
the Patients are really nice, the staff are okay need some manners. you get to interact with the patients they are very lonely so they need someone to talk to
Pros
making patients smile
Cons
the people you work with
A good hospital to work
Undergraduate nurse (AIN) (Current Employee) –  Kogarah NSW8 January 2016
I joined Calvary when I was studying Bachelor of Nursing, they gave of plenty of shifts. Staff are really nice. I got exposed to acute settings and will be very useful in my career ahead.
Very to have worked their.
Enrolled Nurse (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Wagga Wagga, NSW15 October 2015
Calvary had a good reputation as a Private Hospital, staff were very good to work with and friendly. I had many happy years working there it was a good environment to work in.
Pros
Very friendly staff.
Cons
No issues
Support worker for clients living in their own homes
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Wagga Wagga11 October 2015
A typical day at Calvary was attending clients homes and helping them live independently live at home. This would include personal care and domestic assistance.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
not enough hours given