Calvary
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Calvary Employee Reviews

Australia75 reviews
I work with good people, however feel invisible to management. My team is isolated from the department we work in. Compared to other NSW government departments Health is underpaid and work longer hours. Salary sacrifice packaging is available, also paid parking is reasonable (pre-tax).
Management needs to improve, no compassionate is shown to new workers. The old workers are thief’s and need to pulled into line. Although outsiders have no voice sadly, it’s an ugly scene and sadly I didn’t last because of the others
The upper management is terrible and have no idea of what they are doing. Since the move to the new hospital all areas are understaffed. Nurses working long shifts and under continuous stress. Nurses are doing unsafe practices and overworked. Nurses are under payed and abused by executive and the doctors/surgeons are apparently even worse. Promised lots with the move but not delivered. Ordarlies are very overworked, from what I hear.

Not enough people in cleaning, kitchen and supply, they have always been understaffed as bad executives don't know about organizing key components of the company. Lots are leaving or will leave soon. Lack of cleaners will get health officials to close it, some parts of the hospital are filthy due to lack of staff. A risk to patient care. Lack of supply staff will collapse the company, they have not enough staff to do the basics. They are likely the most overworked and are understaffed, same number of people as old hospital but new hospital is 5 times the size, executives/HR will not hire more even though it is critical to hospital. Many stores are leaving - other departments are hoping more stores will leave so hospital has to slow or shut and executives are forced out. Maintenance cannot keep up with condition of hospital infrastructure, with cheap components used. Contract workers are executives band aid, paying more for them over regular employees. Contract staff show little care for the company, witnessed terrible behavior, but no recourse because not hired by Calvary.

Morale is very low throughout all departments but executive is blaming
 - more...
Pros
Good middle management, Great employees on clinical side in kitchen/supply/cleaning
Cons
Terrible executive/business management, Unrealistic work expectations, extremely understaffed, overworked middle managers and employees, expensive parking, under-payed and pay discrepancies, lots of bullying and bad culture, bad organisation, lots promised but not delivered, bad people not let go
Manager only interested in a few staff. Very poor communicator and very bad a rosters . Culture is very poor Staff very unhappy

Staff patient ratio up to 1 nurse to 9 patients on night duty

EBA is 2 years over due .

Management very slow to respond to any requests .
Company very helpful, bosses love gossip say they donot but you tell them they don't want to hear about it have to many friends favorites much on line learning not much hands on for new students nurses who have no experience in dementia unit or any other type of treatment can be helpful for hands-on experience instead of computer
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Calvary Community Care, it was very rewarding to provide care to clients living in the community. The work itself is varied and there are many interesting facets to the role. It requires a person who is compassionate and with a genuine interest in helping people. For the right individual, it provides the opportunity to expand their knowledge and skillset, learn how to use specialized equipment and provide care in a fast-paced and varied environment. The downside to this role is that the hours are not consistent and travel times/costs are varied. This may be problematic for those who enjoy consistency with their schedule. Also, the nature of the work requires close contact with those experiencing illness and can be confronting at times. That being said, it is a great position for those who enjoy helping people.
Only 2 hrs for the day twice a week. Ask for more hour and did not get, I did start of with 30hr but due to management and not sucking up to staff I slowly got cut back. I really enjoyed working with the people I was with but yer as I said before.
Half hours shifts with expectations to drive an hour to the shift.
Nasty when you refuse a shift, no longer offered work.

No communication telling clients you are coming

Not family friendly for staff

Call you for shifts at all times of the day and night. Texts at 3am

Expect Staff to wait and revolve your entire day around a 1-2 hour shift

Rude staff only nice if you are excepting their

No respect for employees

No compromise between clients and staffs to achieve work balance

Only focusing on financial gain from clients
The Respite Cottage where I worked was an inclusive workplace where Staff and Management worked closely to the best of our ability to promote cohesiveness and a very friendly atmosphere among the clients.
The most enjoyable part was during trips around the York Peninsula attending festivals, garden shows and having picnic in areas suggested by the clients.
overall a great place to work despite some negative management staff.
staff get a little overun and left short staffed occasionally but since the relocation staff numbers seem to be maintained.

fun and positive people to work with for the most part.
I thouroughly enjoyed my time working for this company and would recommend it to any radiographer looking for work in the Canberra region. Many oportunities for education.
Work is spread out with some of the CSO's refusing to give you new clients if you preform well with others, they want to keep you in reserve. Really have to fight to get the support you need.
Team leader takes a month to return phone calls.
I worked at Calvary North Adelaide for very short time due to unfriendly staff. There is lot's of bullying going on and unrealistic expectations of workload.
Friendly staff always make new comers feel welcome very relaxed but if you are a hard good worker you are always acknowledged & thanked for the effort.
Love working here, feel very apart of the team and valued. Good place to learn and grow my skills.
very flexible with my hours as i am still a uni student
Working at the Calvary was a good learning experience for me. Typical day would be assisting in the Line for dinner service. Then delivering and picking up meals from the wards, finally assisting in clean up at the end of the shift.
I have enjoyed my time at St Johns imensly. Great staff all round. Love working with such great colleges .
Particularly the patients and their families.
I have learnt a lot of different religion culture and working in a multiculture of people which made me a better person and understanding of different culture
Pros
great freindship
Cons
Calvary Hospital is a safe and community-friendly facility. It is serious in promoting a patient-centered-care environment. Staffs are competitive and they have a sense of teamwork.
-admin duties
-managing all recycling bins and demolition bins

-accounts payable and receivable for company

-banking

-ordering stock required by employees

-customer service making sure all customers needs are answered and completed.
Pros
friendly enviroment
Calvary pay the absolute lowest wages that they can get away with paying, at every turn there is a loop hole in which they exploit to pay as little as possible.
For example, when working in the community I started at 8 am and finished at four, I had several clients on my run with the 10 or 15 minutes to get to each client. This time driving was unpaid, there was no fuel allowance. Calvary get away with this by claiming each client is a new place of work, so as a worker you are effectively driving to a 'new' job. At the end of the day I lost at least an hour in pay because of time spent driving to jobs and then on top of that I had to pay for fuel. A complete scam.

I now work in a residence. In one shift doing the same role, I do not receive one rate of pay, rather several. If I give out medication my rate of pay goes up but only for the hour that I give medication, if I am cleaning, the rate goes down and so on. My pay slip is indecipherable there are so many different rates.

These are just a couple of examples of a company that values you with token gestures of Coles vouchers for good work but then utterly devalues the work you do at every other turn, where it really counts.

Lower management are helpful and do their best. Otherwise it's a complex and confusing management system, if you have a query with your pay, for example... good luck talking to someone. If you have the choice. Work somewhere else.
Pros
Lovely client, great staff, flexible hours
Cons
Pay level terrible, the company literally takes you for a ride