Calvary Employee Reviews

2.5Job Security & Advancement
Expects a lot for not a lot
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  New South Wales10 March 2019
Calvary pay the absolute lowest wages that they can get away with paying, at every turn there is a loop hole in which they exploit to pay as little as possible.
For example, when working in the community I started at 8 am and finished at four, I had several clients on my run with the 10 or 15 minutes to get to each client. This time driving was unpaid, there was no fuel allowance. Calvary get away with this by claiming each client is a new place of work, so as a worker you are effectively driving to a 'new' job. At the end of the day I lost at least an hour in pay because of time spent driving to jobs and then on top of that I had to pay for fuel. A complete scam.
I now work in a residence. In one shift doing the same role, I do not receive one rate of pay, rather several. If I give out medication my rate of pay goes up but only for the hour that I give medication, if I am cleaning, the rate goes down and so on. My pay slip is indecipherable there are so many different rates.
These are just a couple of examples of a company that values you with token gestures of Coles vouchers for good work but then utterly devalues the work you do at every other turn, where it really counts.
Lower management are helpful and do their best. Otherwise it's a complex and confusing management system, if you have a query with your pay, for example... good luck talking to someone. If you have the choice. Work somewhere else.
Pros
Lovely client, great staff, flexible hours
Cons
Pay level terrible, the company literally takes you for a ride
Unprofessional Coordinator.
Support Worker (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Remote NT29 November 2018
Working in remote areas is very difficult and requires all staff to work together and as a team. I didn't experience this with the coordinator of the facility where i worked for a very short time. Head office coordinator, facility coordinator and the nursing staff all stick together and do not include the support workers or the residents in decision making. You are told how it is going to be and you have to just grin and bear it. Residents and staff members dont get a choice. Coordinator and Nurse have their favorites and those staff members are treated differently than the majority.
Pros
Work Colleagues and Location
Cons
Very poor equipment for residents that is old, stained and outdated, Poor Practices, Coordinator unapproachable.
Great clients.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Tasmania22 May 2018
Great clients but management leaves a lot to be desired. You don't get paid for using your car between clients. They pay you less for doing domestic assistance and the hourly rate is less than other organisations. High turnover of support workers and no access to upper management. Not enough hours.
Pros
Great clients and flexible shifts.
Cons
No reimbursement for car use, no access to upper management. High turnover
Unequal workloads, obscure processes
Support Worker (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Eastern Suburbs VIC18 October 2017
Calvary does offer ongoing training to its Support Workers and the pay rates are comparable to other providers in community care. However, Support Workers do not receive a mileage allowance for the use of their car, which can become expensive if they have a long way to travel each day.
It became apparent at Support Worker meetings that there were inequitable workloads. Some people were overworked while others received only a few shifts. Moreover, there was an unequal distribution of the type of work offered, which affected pay rates
(Domestic Assistance pays less than Personal Care).

Calvary's community services have been dropped by at least one provider in Melbourne because of its unreliability. That is a shame because there are some nice people working for the organisation. However, until processes are refined, readily accessible to all and office staff interacting with clients develop better people skills, it will be an uphill battle for the organisation to compete with more professional competitors.
Pros
Wide coverage of areas across Melbourne, uniforms are good, pay rates competitive, training opportunities excellent
Cons
Too many short shifts, unequal workloads, lack of contact between Support Workers and Client Service Officers who allocate shifts, lack of a positive culture
Fullfilling duties in helping communities, unfortunately organization is unprofessional workplace without proper procedures
CSO (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC15 September 2017
High expectations of output without supports . Lack of procedures hinder the work. Management expectations of CSO to work beyond the job descriptions as responsibilities are often being passed around without clear boundaries . Unclear hierarchy without appropriate communication process among departments especially when incidents and complex problems arise. CSO excepted to solve problems even though is beyond their capacity and there aren't any manual and processes available . Not an inclusive organization with its diversity, zero diversity management with recruitment and learning development.
Pros
Can be flexible with leave and family commitments
Cons
Not enough supports, lack of systematic procedures, conflicting