Camp Australia Employee Reviews

A fun and caring workplace out in the valley
Assistant, casual (Former Employee) –  Tallebudgera QLD14 April 2019
I worked with a lot of different team members as it wasn't always easy to get consistent staff but we were always learning from each other as each team member brought something new to the table, providing fresh ideas to grow. You never really heard from management unless you did something wrong which was sad, however as a team we built each other up helping one another to build on our strengths.Working with primary aged children the company catered mainly to the younger children making in more of a challenge to cater for the older children in our care especially since most of the things they wanted to do were against policy. At the end of the day the best thing was watching the children grow and develop their interpersonal skills to help each other out.
Pros
friendly team environment
Cons
Poor communication from head office
Staffing doesn’t care about staff or children
Assistant Educator (Former Employee) –  New South Wales10 April 2019
Having worked for 4 different OOSHC companies, Camp Australia is by far the worst. Working with the children, staff and school is rewarding but the HR managers and above are AWFUL to deal with. They cancel shifts at last minute with no notice or explanation, including ongoing permanent shifts you rely on. The have no loyalty to staff, some who have worked there 5+ years lose all shifts immediately if they are unavoidable one day a week. Anyone who complains is instantly terminated. If you wish to quit there is an option in the intranet and you quit effective immediatley with no contact as to why or to convince you to stay. All interviews and training etc is done online as company is run partly overseas. They do not care about staff safety as they only strictly follow ratio, even if it means there is one educator to 15 children (if that teacher is busy with a first aid or they themselves are ill or need to go to the bathroom there’s is no protection). The staff are also awful to parents and do not listen about complaints. They do not update their toys and resources ever leaving commuted educators out of pocket. AVOID - so many other great OSCH companies to choose from
Pros
Work life balance, great kids, good wage
Cons
Everything else
Terrible Company Management
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rockhampton QLD13 March 2019
I started as an assistant and progressed within a year to coordinator. I loved working with the children, parents and the schools but the company itself treats employees as if they are disposable. They cancel shifts last minute and roster you on when you are not available. As a Coordinator I found it extremely hard to contact my RM, in the 2 months leading up to my resignation I was unable to contact my RM by phone or email. Staffing was a constant issue, they were so difficult to deal with in terms of finding staff to cover shifts.
Terrible
OSHC Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC6 March 2019
Terrible company treats everyone as numbers and like they are disposable. Shifts cancelled at the last minute, getting moved between schools constantly. Management is useless. Staff get abused by parents with no consequence, for things which are out of their control. Lack of resources means spending from your own pocket and they then won't even pay for all the time you work unless you complain if they think it's excessive.
Pros
The well behaved children are a lot of fun to be around and look after.
Cons
Listed in review.
Fun environment
Educator/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT27 February 2019
Camp Australia has been a wonderful experience as I received training to further my knowledge of working within an OSHC. Children are opened to explore what Camp Australia has to offer with programs being created weekly based off observations & experiences. Vacation care is a breeze because everything has been planned exceedingly well and children can see what the company can provide them to achieve as well as allowing flexibility to suit to their needs.
Good if you understamd the system. Emailling can be tricky.
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Adelaide SA26 January 2019
Like any job you have to understand the structure of the company. Your job is what you make it. I have been a coordinator for over two yrs now and love it! Very little paper work and more time for kids and more time to make my job and service my own. Great company not intending to leave any time soon! Higher management seem to want to improve by being more personable. My RM is easy to contact on the phone even W C from Head Office is easy to contact and is easy to speak with.
Pros
My own service to make my own.
Cons
Cant choose my own staff.
productive and fun place to work ,with such great support provided by management and school
Educator Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC20 January 2019
The most enjoyable about this job is working with children from different culture and discovering the different abilities they have. Example prep children with such great gymnast skills, great communication skills and art skills.
Cons
short hours
Camp Australia
Educator (Current Employee) –  Tweed Heads NSW1 January 2019
I have worked in various locations travelling between Qld and NSW. I have enjoyed the challenge of meeting new children, staff and parents. Camp Australia provided me with an opportunity to complete studies.
Unfair and negligent
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thurgoona NSW20 December 2018
Unfair working conditions. HR and regional managers do not care about staff. Staff who make complaints are immediately terminated from employment, irrespective of the legitimacy of the complaint. Company has recieved a fair bit of media attention lately regarding negligence and breaches of child safety. Management are incompetent with no clue what they're doing. Expect to do jobs you're not paid or qualified to do and work ridiculously long hours with no breaks. Honestly, the worst company I have ever worked for
Pros
the children
Cons
lack of management, negligence
Camp Australia is a temporary role for those keen on before and after school care. It does not have long term benefits should one require stability.
Cheltenham East - OSHC Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham VIC5 December 2018
One has to work from early hours for before school care of 7 am - 9 am and after school from 3 - 6.30 pm. This role is useful for those who has own transport and is able to juggle the early hours then return in the afternoon.
Pros
Experience with children 5 - 12 yrs old
Cons
Minimal support from management
More hours needed for assistants
Assistant Educator (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD26 November 2018
Need for more hours for the assistants as currently they are to work two hours before school care and two hours after school care.
There will also be a need for staffing to have better communication as currently it is very hard for them to understand what the staff requires.
Not the best place to work for.
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham East VIC19 November 2018
Its a good job if you like children and are studying child care, but its not great if you are doing full-time as they have little to no care for their employees.
Their training method is a online course that is difficult to learn without practical placement.
Be careful in your first 6 months as they will quickly get rid of you if you don't meet their ridiculously high standards.
In the first shifts in a new place you walk into the unknown, you have no idea what to do, you just guess and hope that your right.
Pros
The kids
Cons
Paperwork
Worst company to work for
Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Australia9 November 2018
If you are a male do not work for them. You will be thrown under the bus as soon as you make a single mistake the females make. You do the same mistake as the women they will fire you. Sexist company.
Pros
Started amazing
Cons
Company that only cares about themselves and not workers
Fun working place
Ongoing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC8 November 2018
Fun working with young children. Enjoyed the timings and work environment. Great experience with new children around.
The management was good and the work culture was good too.
Fun and Engaging work
Casual Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD5 November 2018
I have a short time working there due to my priority for my research. However, I really love the team work there and the children. I am more than happy to re-apply the work there
Just don't go work there
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne South East VIC20 October 2018
Poor Management, not flexible if you have other commitments which will result in constant roster changes, more often then not they were unfriendly/unhelpful work colleagues...

But seeing kids enjoying themselves and have fun never gets dull.
Pros
Watching kids enjoy their day and have fun, reasonable pay
Cons
Poor Management, not flexible, constant roster changes, unfriendly/unhelpful work colleagues
Very challenging to work for
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  NSW19 October 2018
As an ongoing coordinator, I have consistent work which is a plus.
I love the school and families.
But I don’t feel I am well supported by management.
Many changes are being made, but the assistant hours are being cut, which leads to longer unpaid hours for me.
Compliance is a huge issue, rightly so, but this has led to families being turned away because staff could not be supplied and therefore, service being at capacity.
Unfortunately, as the company has grown, the bottom dollar seems to be the most important thing.
Research carefully, check your contract, ask lots of questions before you decide to take a job with this company.
Pros
Children and families
Cons
It call comes down to profit.
Education Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Daisy Hill QLD13 October 2018
I worked for camp Australia for a few years during this time I build up my confidence and become the coordinator. I had a great support team that were always there to help me. We had online training to keep our skills up to date as well as regional managers that would visit us to help out with any concerns.

I only left the roll because I was moving to a location that have no before and after school care services.
Pros
Children are very up lifting
Cons
I had to leave
Horrible place to work
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA13 October 2018
Worst experience in my life, so stressful, no help or support from company or certain RM but most of the staff were amazing but higher up management are useless, they have not idea of policy, procedures, regulations. They are very big bullies, they blame even if you are 100% correct &!you have proof they still blame you & are not willing to say sorry. The most hopeless company I have ever worked for. The kids, parents school community & most of the staff are brilliant but the upper management need to gain people skills, step down into the real world & stop focusing on the money they are making & start looking out for the children, staff, & families they are the backbone of the company not someone sitting behind a desk not knowing anything about regulations. I hope they get closed down. They just employ anyone give lots of promise but never deliver. They don’t let you call the parents if their child is unwell, I was told to get permission from RM to call parents even though I am a mum, I have years of experience working in childcare for 20 years the RM doesn’t have kids is young & has no interaction with children was always on her laptop how would she know?
Pros
Children, families, schools
Cons
Under resourced and poor communication with in service staff
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New South Wales1 October 2018
Services were inadequately resourced to meet the needs of the kids. Educators were supposed to be a teacher, a cleaner, a cook, a secretary, mediator, and somehow bond with children when given minimal hours to get things done and with little or no support from head office. Company policies changed on a whim without that being communicated to staff or families paying for the service.

Also, regardless of the negligence of management (services not being given additional staff to remain at ratio for example) any thing that went wrong was blamed on coordinators. This was unfortunate as many staff bonded with children and cared about their health and wellbeing and were willing to put in the extra (unpaid) hours and spend their own money on resources but were not being compensated when this occurred.

Concerns about child welfare were not taken seriously nor were concerns about single staff operations being unsafe, single staff services with high risk bathrooms mean that a staff member had to escort kids to the toilet and many male staff felt uncomfortable with the idea of being alone at a school with a few children or even one and having to take them to the toilet. When i was working at a single staff service I was instructed to call the next service over and see if they could spare someone to come look after the children if I needed to use the toilet or hold it. If you really care about the kids you are looking after be prepared to take home your work and spend quite a lot of time stressing out.
Pros
Wonderful children and families, bonds with co-workers, and flexible hours
Cons
No communication between departments, high demands compared to pay, stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Camp Australia. Our community is ready to answer.