Camp Australia Employee Reviews

Working here will be the biggest mistake of your life
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC21 June 2019
This is the worst company you can work for, I made an indeed account just so I can write this review In hopes camp Australia will read and respond.

Five years of my life I can never get back
I will say the staff are lovely that you work with directly. But the head office and payroll team are a joke

For starters payroll will withhold documents that legally they need to give you . Payroll also have no phone number so you can't actually speak to them if there's problems with your pay, instead you have to continuously email and spam them, and threaten them with legal action to get a response.

You need to give 24 hours notice of cancelling a shift - fair enough and can be done in some circumstances but not in others. Whatever, but they can cancel a shift of yours as you're driving to work, and if you don't notice but show up, you don't get paid!

They'll text you at 3am to tell you that your shift at 6am has moved 25km away

Children with disabilities get no carers, you want an extra staff member because there's a child in a wheel chair in your care who needs help? Just file paperwork for 6 months writing letters begging for another staff member, then wait another 6 months for it to get rejected

They also have single staffed services if ratio is low, so if you need to go to the toilet they recommend for You to "call another service near by so someone can come down" lol. Don't forget locking up the school 6.30pm in winter, I'm sure that's safe.

I can go on forever but seriously if you decide to work for these idiots after this review along with all the other
  more... negatives, you probobly deserve what you're about to go through with them.  less
Pros
My coordinator and fellow assistants
Cons
Anyone else who works for them that is above the coordinator role.
Terrible company
Assistant educator (Former Employee) –  Queensland13 June 2019
Camp Australia is a terrible company to work for. I was an assistant for 6 months and have never worked in such a disorganised company that cares very little for their staff. Constant mistakes made with pays, management make you feel like your job is constantly on the line. There are always issues with staffing. No support for staff when issues at the service arise. You are just thrown under the bus.
Pros
Other educators and children
Cons
Everything else about this company is awful
dont believe the hype
CHILD CARE EDUCATOR (Former Employee) –  Perth WA27 May 2019
Camp Australia
1. Too many educator are hired who stand around at the service not doing their job , this is partly due to the disgraceful screening process with HR not performing face to face interviews
2.. Absolutely no job security whatsoever
3. Large amount of coordinators who are incredibly unsatisfactory at their job role
4. Educators have to give notice when they need a shift cancelled but HR can cancel a shift at the last minute without any notice.
5. Not a workplace for anyone who is a hard honest reliable worker unfortunately for Camp Australia
Pros
the day that I quit
Cons
unreliability of staff, HR department, poor pay and conditions, no garauntee of shifts
Official response from Camp Australia
10 June 2019

Thanks for taking the time to provide some insight into your experience as an employee with us, whilst we are saddened to read your time with us was met with some challenges, we value your feedback.

As a child safe organisation, our recruitment and selection practices ensure the safety of the children is of the utmost importance, therefore we ensure all candidates go through a comprehensive screening process before being offered employment at Camp Australia.

The issues you have highlighted around staff ability is something we take very seriously and whilst we appreciate you may wish to remain anonymous; we would welcome the opportunity to discuss the issues in more detail. If you would be willing, please send us an email at hradmin@campaustralia.com.au and we will be in touch.

We wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

A fun and caring workplace out in the valley
Assistant, casual (Former Employee) –  Tallebudgera QLD14 April 2019
I worked with a lot of different team members as it wasn't always easy to get consistent staff but we were always learning from each other as each team member brought something new to the table, providing fresh ideas to grow. You never really heard from management unless you did something wrong which was sad, however as a team we built each other up helping one another to build on our strengths.Working with primary aged children the company catered mainly to the younger children making in more of a challenge to cater for the older children in our care especially since most of the things they wanted to do were against policy. At the end of the day the best thing was watching the children grow and develop their interpersonal skills to help each other out.
Pros
friendly team environment
Cons
Poor communication from head office
Staffing doesn’t care about staff or children
Assistant Educator (Former Employee) –  New South Wales10 April 2019
Having worked for 4 different OOSHC companies, Camp Australia is by far the worst. Working with the children, staff and school is rewarding but the HR managers and above are AWFUL to deal with. They cancel shifts at last minute with no notice or explanation, including ongoing permanent shifts you rely on. The have no loyalty to staff, some who have worked there 5+ years lose all shifts immediately if they are unavoidable one day a week. Anyone who complains is instantly terminated. If you wish to quit there is an option in the intranet and you quit effective immediatley with no contact as to why or to convince you to stay. All interviews and training etc is done online as company is run partly overseas. They do not care about staff safety as they only strictly follow ratio, even if it means there is one educator to 15 children (if that teacher is busy with a first aid or they themselves are ill or need to go to the bathroom there’s is no protection). The staff are also awful to parents and do not listen about complaints. They do not update their toys and resources ever leaving commuted educators out of pocket. AVOID - so many other great OSCH companies to choose from
Pros
Work life balance, great kids, good wage
Cons
Everything else
Terrible Company Management
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rockhampton QLD13 March 2019
I started as an assistant and progressed within a year to coordinator. I loved working with the children, parents and the schools but the company itself treats employees as if they are disposable. They cancel shifts last minute and roster you on when you are not available. As a Coordinator I found it extremely hard to contact my RM, in the 2 months leading up to my resignation I was unable to contact my RM by phone or email. Staffing was a constant issue, they were so difficult to deal with in terms of finding staff to cover shifts.
Terrible
OSHC Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC6 March 2019
Terrible company treats everyone as numbers and like they are disposable. Shifts cancelled at the last minute, getting moved between schools constantly. Management is useless. Staff get abused by parents with no consequence, for things which are out of their control. Lack of resources means spending from your own pocket and they then won't even pay for all the time you work unless you complain if they think it's excessive.
Pros
The well behaved children are a lot of fun to be around and look after.
Cons
Listed in review.
Fun environment
Educator/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT27 February 2019
Camp Australia has been a wonderful experience as I received training to further my knowledge of working within an OSHC. Children are opened to explore what Camp Australia has to offer with programs being created weekly based off observations & experiences. Vacation care is a breeze because everything has been planned exceedingly well and children can see what the company can provide them to achieve as well as allowing flexibility to suit to their needs.
Good if you understamd the system. Emailling can be tricky.
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Adelaide SA26 January 2019
Like any job you have to understand the structure of the company. Your job is what you make it. I have been a coordinator for over two yrs now and love it! Very little paper work and more time for kids and more time to make my job and service my own. Great company not intending to leave any time soon! Higher management seem to want to improve by being more personable. My RM is easy to contact on the phone even W C from Head Office is easy to contact and is easy to speak with.
Pros
My own service to make my own.
Cons
Cant choose my own staff.
productive and fun place to work ,with such great support provided by management and school
Educator Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC20 January 2019
The most enjoyable about this job is working with children from different culture and discovering the different abilities they have. Example prep children with such great gymnast skills, great communication skills and art skills.
Cons
short hours
Camp Australia
Educator (Current Employee) –  Tweed Heads NSW1 January 2019
I have worked in various locations travelling between Qld and NSW. I have enjoyed the challenge of meeting new children, staff and parents. Camp Australia provided me with an opportunity to complete studies.
Unfair and negligent
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thurgoona NSW20 December 2018
Unfair working conditions. HR and regional managers do not care about staff. Staff who make complaints are immediately terminated from employment, irrespective of the legitimacy of the complaint. Company has recieved a fair bit of media attention lately regarding negligence and breaches of child safety. Management are incompetent with no clue what they're doing. Expect to do jobs you're not paid or qualified to do and work ridiculously long hours with no breaks. Honestly, the worst company I have ever worked for
Pros
the children
Cons
lack of management, negligence
Camp Australia is a temporary role for those keen on before and after school care. It does not have long term benefits should one require stability.
Cheltenham East - OSHC Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham VIC5 December 2018
One has to work from early hours for before school care of 7 am - 9 am and after school from 3 - 6.30 pm. This role is useful for those who has own transport and is able to juggle the early hours then return in the afternoon.
Pros
Experience with children 5 - 12 yrs old
Cons
Minimal support from management
More hours needed for assistants
Assistant Educator (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD26 November 2018
Need for more hours for the assistants as currently they are to work two hours before school care and two hours after school care.
There will also be a need for staffing to have better communication as currently it is very hard for them to understand what the staff requires.
Not the best place to work for.
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham East VIC19 November 2018
Its a good job if you like children and are studying child care, but its not great if you are doing full-time as they have little to no care for their employees.
Their training method is a online course that is difficult to learn without practical placement.
Be careful in your first 6 months as they will quickly get rid of you if you don't meet their ridiculously high standards.
In the first shifts in a new place you walk into the unknown, you have no idea what to do, you just guess and hope that your right.
Pros
The kids
Cons
Paperwork
Worst company to work for
Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Australia9 November 2018
If you are a male do not work for them. You will be thrown under the bus as soon as you make a single mistake the females make. You do the same mistake as the women they will fire you. Sexist company.
Pros
Started amazing
Cons
Company that only cares about themselves and not workers
Fun working place
Ongoing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC8 November 2018
Fun working with young children. Enjoyed the timings and work environment. Great experience with new children around.
The management was good and the work culture was good too.
Official response from Camp Australia
10 June 2019

Thanks for taking the time to reflect on your time with us at Camp Australia. We are pleased to read you enjoyed working with us, we work hard to create culture that is inclusive, supportive and enjoyable for all.

We agree, working with the kids is such a rewarding opportunity and we thank you for the time you spent with us shaping their time at OSHC.

We wish you all the best with your future endeavours and should you ever wish to re-join us, please get in contact with recruitment@campaustralia.com.au

Fun and Engaging work
Casual Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD5 November 2018
I have a short time working there due to my priority for my research. However, I really love the team work there and the children. I am more than happy to re-apply the work there
Just don't go work there
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne South East VIC20 October 2018
Poor Management, not flexible if you have other commitments which will result in constant roster changes, more often then not they were unfriendly/unhelpful work colleagues...

But seeing kids enjoying themselves and have fun never gets dull.
Pros
Watching kids enjoy their day and have fun, reasonable pay
Cons
Poor Management, not flexible, constant roster changes, unfriendly/unhelpful work colleagues
Very challenging to work for
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  NSW19 October 2018
As an ongoing coordinator, I have consistent work which is a plus.
I love the school and families.
But I don’t feel I am well supported by management.
Many changes are being made, but the assistant hours are being cut, which leads to longer unpaid hours for me.
Compliance is a huge issue, rightly so, but this has led to families being turned away because staff could not be supplied and therefore, service being at capacity.
Unfortunately, as the company has grown, the bottom dollar seems to be the most important thing.
Research carefully, check your contract, ask lots of questions before you decide to take a job with this company.
Pros
Children and families
Cons
It call comes down to profit.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Camp Australia. Our community is ready to answer.