Cancer Council
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Cancer Council Employee Reviews

Australia20 reviews
lovely collaborative working environment although they are non-committal about offering full-time opportunities and prefer to contract for business development and fund raising opportunities
Being event support I do a lot of different things, like organising event merchandise, creating various documents for events and overall help in the planning of events.
On a typical day as a volunteer, you'd engage in a fundraising crew, asking for donations and selling merchandise to passing participants.
Working with the staffs/supervisors are a pleasure with their swell attitude as well helpful whenever assistance is required.

Since you'll be working outside, the standing up for hours in the sun is the hardest part of the job.

Interacting with passerby is usually the most enjoyable part of the experience.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Standing in the sun for hours
It was a confidence-boosting campaign. Where we have to approach people and ask them to raise funds. I met a lot of new people, and I also got some friends and links. Those were the days to remember but tiring as well. But I was really happy to be part of the campaign.
Pros
Free lunches, interacting with different people
Cons
Long three days.
The stores were small and I didn't have any problems with this as I found it easier to keep an eye out for thieves and such. I enjoyed working with the people that I worked with as they were kind and patient and taught me what I needed to do.
Pros
close to shops
Cons
not long enough hours
Worked as telemarketer/office admin on temp basis in Australia for the Cancer Council.

The hours weren't regular as I was a temp and there wasn't a huge amount of progression for me due to visa restrictions.

I was only there for 3 months as I didn't get enough hours but everyone who I worked with was lovely and the company are good, they just didn't have much work on at that point in time.
A typical day of work involved performing tasks set by my employers e.g. printing, data entry, etc. The management were super supportive and helped immensely when I needed it.

Overall the workplace culture was very relaxed and cheerful. I loved that I was encouraged to talk with my colleagues and learn more about the company.

The most difficult part of the job was making sure the data entry was accurate and challenging myself to do better at my job.

The most enjoyable part was the feeling of satisfaction when I completed a task, or helped a customer.
it was a good experience to go and help. it helps give more confidence when talking to people who need help knowing where to go and provides people with less to worry about
This was a great charity organisation to work for. Were I helped others in need of support and processed financial support payments to families dealing with treatment for Cancer.
Pros
Helping others
Cons
Very sad, when clients you helped passed away
Volunteer in administration, supervised by Volunteer Coordinator.
Only worked 3 hours per week mainly phoning other volunteers to spare their time for upcoming charity events eg Daffodil Day held in August annually. After the charity event, phoning back those participants and finding out their progress, enjoyment of event, suggestions for next time and of course moneys sent into CCSA.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere, very hardworking marketing team
Cons
Lonely work sometimes
Cancer Council is an amazing not-for-profit organisation. The atmosphere is always enjoyable and, of course, the most enjoyable part of the day is giving back to the community. Management is very understanding with all situations that may arise, they're quick to act and always get the desired job completed.
working for the cancer council in a voluntary capacity has been amazing, learning and helping to formulate cancer guidelines for cervical cancer has been very rewarding
Pros
a lot scientific data is disscused
Cons
some of the data is over my head and i need to learn it
I have co-coordinated an event called Piggy Wiggy’s in November 2015 to raise money for the Cancer Council and found this to be an extremely rewarding experience. My role was to organise food permits for local council approval (Marion), send out flyers to advertise the event, attend on the day and help out with any issues from the public and market stall owners, and in general ensure that everyone was having a fantastic time! Previous to the day I organised extras for the event including raffle prizes, lucky dip prizes, a generator which I managed to hire at no cost and I also negotiated with the owners of a bouncy castle to allow all proceeds to go to the Cancer Council.
Pros
Exciting day out!
Cons
No electricity at the event so identified improvements that could be made for the next event.
nice place to work friendly people, As it was charity it was a little unorganized and at times very frantic. This was a very rewarding experience
Easy people to get along with and worth while cause. Motivating environment which was nice to work in but unfortunately volunteer work so no pay.
I had a good time, because of the other guys I've met there. I made some really good friends at the fundraising people. The Job is not to easy, because you have to convince strangers to stop for you.
Dedicated team members. Working towards Cancer free SA and an extremely compassionate and caring organisation.
Wonderful health enhancing and sun cancer preventative products to sell.
voluntary work sorting cloths picking up furnture. helping with sales.
Pros
fun work enviroment
Cons
nil pay but rewarding.
Even though this was a volunteer position, it was an wonderful experience being part of the Griffith University Committee assisting them with their first Relay for Life as a Ceremonies Coordinator.

I was able to utilise previous skills in project facilitating to plan and execute my role. This took a lot of time and required me to be well organised, be able to build client relationships as well as source sponsorships.

Being a team player and actively participating to ensure the overall outcome of the project was vital.

We raised well over $52,000.00 our 8 months of planning paid off.
Pros
Free lunches at each committee meeting & meeting new people each day
Cons
Financially draining but giving back to the community was something I always wanted to do.
The typical day starts of with opening the mail that the company gets for the events . We count the mail do data entry and sort merchandise out.

I learnt to have high attention to detail. I also learnt to better my time management.

The hardest part of the job was deciphering poor handwriting.

The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new skills from the international interns. They were really efficient and accurate with what they did . I also liked meeting new people and making friends there.
Pros
Free Cakes
Cons
Deciphering poor handwriting.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cancer Council. Our community is ready to answer.
4.5