Canopy Growth Corporation Employee Reviews

Very disfunctional and lack of knowledge in mamagment.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON8 April 2019
There is a very big lack of management that know what they are doing. The work/life balance is terrible and many of the people employed are taken advantage of. I would stay away from the Scarborough facility.
Cons
Long hours. No appreciation for hard work. Little to no effective management.
The worst job I've ever had (and I worked in a fish plant)
Tweedtender (Former Employee) –  Newfoundland and Labrador6 April 2019
I was hired as a retail employee. The training was a joke; they focused entirely on customer service and their ridiculous script (which was abandoned by October 18) and completely ignored their actual products, probably because they don't even have any of the things they were promising they'd be stocking. They spent all their manpower and effort on making sure their stores look just right (and dont even get me started on the people who show up every few months and rearrange the whole place, as if folding it differently is going to make someone want one of those cheap ugly shirts), and absolutely none on worrying about how to relate to their consumer base.

Store management does what they can with a bad situation, even amidst scapegoating and threats of termination. Anyone above the individual store level has been brainwashed by the company, and why shouldn't they be content? They're actually earning a living; they couldn't care less about the hourly employees who can't afford rent, or lost their health coverage (which was much touted as one of the benefits during the hiring process) because they dropped below the minimum hours and so can't pay for vital medications.

Even if you're dedicated, even if you're always smiling, even if you attend every single one of the charity events, and talk customers into buying things they don't need, and fold the cheap shirts just right, this company will still treat you like absolute garbage.

Run, don't walk, away from this dystopian nightmare of an organization.
Pros
Discounts on overpriced cannabis accessories
Cons
Literally every other aspect of this job
Management clueless. If you don’t walk around with smile on your face you’re outta there. Management don’t care about life/work balance.
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON6 April 2019
Very unorganized company. Meetings to discuss meetings. Hope constellation cleans house. Get rid of bullies and friends. Bring in qualified people who know what they are doing.
Stop micro managing.
Treat people with respect if you expect staff to be productive.
Burning out staff won’t help anyone.
Upper management need to give guidance otherwise they can not expect miracles.
Mentor staff don’t ridicule them for incompetence when you don’t mentor them.
Stay away unless you are desperate like the Senior Directors.
Only ones that survive will be the ones in the “click”
Saw staff leave/fired because they had morals & principals and stuck to them.
Management saying didn’t play nice.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Senior management control freaks
It is energetic and exciting to be involved in the first stages of a country
Lead Hand (Current Employee) –  Delta, BC22 March 2019
I am surprised at these negative reviews As a new industry and start up there are many obstacles. Saying that means we are able to create and grow!!!!
Pros
Passion for the benefits of the plant
Cons
Still finding out
Worst management ever!
Post harvest lead hand (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC14 March 2019
The management at canopy growth (delta location) is so horrendous. No education, no training, the post harvest manager is like a school yard bully! I went to school to be a grower, and dedicate my life to it and made it very clear to canopy that I'm well educated in this field and they still treated me like a piece of dirt. The management and superviser positions are given to whoever sucks up the most, and you're treated like a worker ant.
Do not work here, take your experience and education where it will be appreciated.
Pros
They give you free coffee on your break
Cons
Management, scheduling, communication, bullying, gossip, lack of direction, lack of education.
Don't Drink the KoolAid
Customer Care (Current Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ON5 March 2019
Thought I was getting my dream job. It's a nightmare. Favouritism, bullying, cliques and being treated like a disposable asset has put my stress levels through the roof.
So many firings since I started. One because she wasn't a "Team Player". If you don't play the games, donate the foods/goods, walk around with a stupid grin all the time you are shunned.
My training was a joke, my manager is like a school yard bully and Heaven forbid you ever get sick and need to stay home!!
Don't. Do. It.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Bully culture.
They never learn
Inventory Analyst (Current Employee) –  smith falls, ON3 March 2019
Just dont come here. This is where dreams come to die.
Short term, for the stocks is why everyone is here. No one really enjoys it. Management has never been worse.
Attitude is Everything
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON28 February 2019
Typical Day : arrive on time , wait, do what you are told;
What you learned: attitude is everything ;
Management: too busy to think about staff (high turnover), plants priority;
Work Culture: Forget what you know. Wage is low, stress is high, humility a must, attention to detail, sometimes boring, sometimes too busy to think.
Hardest Part of the Job: you think your doing well, your not, document all incidents, document everything.
Most enjoyable part of the job: the plants.
Pros
uniforms
Cons
parking insufficient
Salary ranges should be included in the Opportunities advertised
mid level management position (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ON26 February 2019
I wasted everyone's time because the salary that came with the job offer was too low. I declined the offer.

I hope those stock options don't come back to haunt me.

I will try again once Canopy's offices move from the factory in Smiths Falls to Kanata; and once management has had a chance (a few years) to get organized.
Pros
The people at the factory seemed very friendly and quite nice
Cons
Smiths Falls is a long daily drive from Ottawa
Who hired your middle management!
Tweedtender (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 February 2019
I have 30+ year's of management experience.
Specializing in retail Sales.
I was shocked when I found out who you hired to launch your retail locations.
With my background it only took a very short time to realize that you hired all inexperienced people.
I spent almost 4 month's very frustrated because management is so busy worrying about their jobs and not how to improve simple things such as traffic control in the store.
Ya there's a corporate floor plan for every store in the country.
News flash!
You're not building store's, you are occupying different stores with different floor plans.
Imagine if you hired manager's that had the foresight to adapt to individual store's instead of trying to make corporate Cookie cutter mold work.
This is just a small example.
My best guess.
Stock brokers that don't know retail hiring people that claim they know retail. But have only been involved in already established work environments.
I brought to the table several year's of opening store's across the prarries that are far bigger challenges.
But I was consistently being kept away from upper management.
I quickly realized that there is a huge opportunity in the cannabis industry, but not here.
In Winnipeg MB I always visited the other LP store's.
They are light years ahead of Tweed!
If you want to sell hoodie's!
This is where you want to be.
Just don't expect to have the right sizes.
Pros
The amazing co-workers, Best part.
Cons
It's all hype smoke and mirrors. They are not about people at all!
"ok" job IF: you live with parents, have no bills, or its your 2nd job. AWFUL HERE!
Tweedtender (Current Employee) –  Newfoundland and Labrador4 February 2019
-empty promises to convince you to take the job
-management couldn't schedule shifts to save their lives! (tell them when you are working elsewhere, or when you have an appointment...they'll schedule you there and then make you give up your shift instead of fixing THEIR mistake!)
-hired way too many people and most staff get little to no hours each week
-if you kiss up and become a "favourite" of store manager (or if store manager brought you in from another job they have worked with you previously) then you are "ok", meaning you will get 20-40hrs/wk while coworkers are getting 5-12 hours a week.
-staff are expected to bring in food bank donations, and raise funds for Canopy employees that are making $60,000 plus a year when these staff are getting eviction notices, having their power cut, and are unable to even afford to feed themselves! But if you don't bring in food bank items, or support fund raisers you will be asked about it by management ("oh, you didn't bring in a donation? don't forget tomorrow.") or you will be penalized by having your shifts cancelled or by getting less shifts the next week.
-coworkers will stab you in the back for your hours...can't blame them I guess, they're just trying to eat too!
-management refuses to support promotion of skilled employees unless they are their friends. Had watched a girl go from tweedtender to a different store under a promotion that she was NOT qualified for (management get bonuses for referring in to positions FYI), girl went to new job and lasted 3 weeks, before quitting. Then went back to the store she started
  more... at as a tweedtender again, and got back 30+ hours a week and had other tweedtenders hours cut back because of it.
-Have seen a very skilled tweedtender with lots of management experience, go after many positions in the company. I think management has stopped it from happening because she isn't their "friend". Then hear that positions get filled by people who worked for manager at another place before Tweed.
-the favortism is sickening.
-run away from here! Do not apply for ANY retail position! You will NOT be appreciated! You won't be able to pay your bills!
-have seen female staff get sexually harrassed by customers, WHILE management WATCHED and did NOTHING! So don't expect then to have your back!
-if you enjoy uncertainty of having money, feeling unsafe at work, feeling under-appreciated, then apply. Otherwise the only people who can afford to work here are people with NO bills, no financial obligations, a husband or wife who makes enough to support you both, someone who still lives under the safety net of their parents, and or people who just want to work a few hours a week.
Pros
SOME of your coworkers
Cons
management, hours, pay, etc etc etc, everything.
Dream job at a dream company
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ON28 January 2019
I have been working for Canopy Growth Corporation for almost 3 months now and the corporate culture is unlike anything I have ever experienced! I was made to feel welcome immediately and they have been super flexible/accommodating with work life balance. I have a great job with my dream company and I would highly recommend Canopy as an ideal employer for any current job seeker!
Pros
Events, Work/Life balance, Corporate Culture
Terrible place to work, worst ever, management is the worst.
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC29 December 2018
Management walks around blindfolded.
Whomever brow noses the best get promoted.
Most management have absolutely no certifications , training or skills etc
There are plenty of other good cannabis operations that will treat you better than Canopy.
Take your skills and training somewhere else.
Just a honest heads up.
Cheers.
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
Enough favortism to make a person gag.
horrible
Trimmer (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON24 December 2018
Unsanitary movement of product, overspray of alcohol to product, ethic slander. Bad parking lot, tickets if on road in front of building..All in all dont waste your time theres a reason its always hiring.. poor HR
Pros
Free lunch if luck once a month, who cares?
Cons
Work place slander, mixed races, segregated ethnic groups, reports not taken seriously
Wish I could give them a zero for job security
Manager (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ON20 December 2018
Fired after working 11 hour days for a year. Zero job security once you sign the employment contract. They can fire you for no reason.
The stock options are worth nothing if they fire you before you have been there a year.
They have a lot to learn about how to treat employees and correctly manage a company.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
zero job security
just left canopy
assistant to god knows what (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC16 December 2018
I cant believe the change in culture as soon as I left canopy. At canopy its all about BS and their rating on the stock market. Senior management has no clue that they are being played by regional managers, Canopy loves to hire to pay as little as possible and squeeze blood out of their staff no wonder the turnover is astronomical. If you can avoid canopy great or get some experience and keep on looking for the next gig cuz it does not get worse than canopy.
Very Low Pay
Tweedtender (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 December 2018
The pay is very very low. Bad wages. Can't work when hungry.
Hours cut all the time
No commissions, no tips, no incentives just $12/hr
Lots of expectations for the pay
The free shoes hurt
Can't pay rent
Coworkers are great but will leave if not paid better
Pros
Coworkers are great.
Cons
Pay is bad. Lots of standing. Shoes hurt feet. Knee pain, back pain.
My time at Canopywrowth
IT Department (Former Employee) –  Smith Falls, Ontario11 December 2018
I work at the Tweed location in Smith Falls for about one year and I can honestly say I have never seen in my 25+ year in experience in the high world such an unorganized and all over the map environment.

That said I think the company is really trying to create a great culture. However, once they implement a more senior management team that has a clear direction from upper management to execute sound IT practices.

It made it impossible to do my job correctly and was quite glad when they laid me off.

At this point, I would recommend any senior IT person to work at Canopy. However, in time once it's more establish and the kumbaya stage is over it could be a great company to work for.
Pros
Great culture, good salary. nice poeple
Cons
no direction, un-experience management, no structure
Fantastic company
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON29 November 2018
geared to help accommodate your needs
fun and lasting relationships
team outing
social gatherings to help local communities
great in-work training to keep you updated
Not a good company to work for, stay away
QC Manager (Current Employee) –  BC16 November 2018
Management isn’t very sorted out, lots of hiring and firing. Undereducated people are rather promoted. If you try to bring your ode into place your manager will steal it. Managers always try to put you down as they have poor no knowledge themselves. Zero communication, cheap company lots of abusive words and loose language is used. All u need is to lick the qap here and you will be a star. Please stay away if you want your peace of mind and you care for your self respect.
Pros
Nothing good
Cons
Poor management with no skill set, unorganized environment trying to be over smart