Cardno Employee Reviews

Terrible culture of incompetence leading the show
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC5 June 2019
The team is led by incompetent leaders who struggle to understand the basics of management. The work is unfulfilling and inconsistent. Pay is extremely low and difficult to get pay rises. Culture is toxic and noted variety of subtle discrimination in my 8 years there. Give it a miss.
Hit and Miss
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fortitude Valley QLD14 October 2018
My experience with Cardno resulted in myself suffering immense stress and uncertainty. The management is hit and miss with upper management seemingly more interested in hitting their targets than supporting their staff. My immediate manager was a fantastic engineer but had no interest in or was incapable of supporting staff. The majority of people working at Cardno are good people and it really is hit and miss with the department that you work for. Some appear to be good while others are strikingly opposite. I experienced a distinct lack of encouragement for advancement and the company doesn't provide any financial incentives or assistance. My comparable salary was in the lowest 15% of Australia with pay rises well below the CPI if any. If you're intending to work at Cardno, research the department management to ensure you'll enjoy working with them. There are some great managers and there are definitely others. Make sure you get your recognition.
Pros
General people are great, lots of interesting projects
Cons
Unsupportive management, low salary, no financial assistance with career advancement
Fine
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane27 December 2017
Fine place to work, exposure to large projects, opportunity to advance career. Office culture was good with social events occurring regularly, however common for staff to seek work at other firms due to low wages.
My previous experience review
Traffic and Transport Engineer (Former Employee) –  Perth WA19 November 2017
Good people, good environment, a group of talent engineers.
Except my working experience there, I have learned how to work and communicate effectively with my colleagues, my manager and my clients.
Interesting and useful workplacement
Industry Placement: First Year Representative (Current Employee) –  St Leonards NSW24 September 2017
Intriguing opportunities presented to a first year engineering student. Worked with a group of other representatives in challenging workshops. Were introduced to new and unusual material and presented with opportunities to expand and grow
Pros
Free lunches
A professional environment
Field Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW19 September 2017
A professional environment, with good work ethics, versatile experience opportunities and zero harm policy.
In Cardno, diversity in age, gender, ethnicity, race, culture, religious beliefs, political beliefs, education, physical ability, experiences, working style is encouraged.
Bad management
Chief Audit Executive (CAE) Senior Auditor (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD10 September 2017
A company that lost its way along the road of mergers. Apart from the employees who you work with daily management had a lot to answer for and that included the board.
Work experience
Undergraduate Geotechnical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW21 June 2017
I was only at Cardno for a very short time, but i was given the opportunity to work on an amazing project. It was just my luck that at the time i did my work experience the company had landed a major infrastructure project. I enjoyed seeing first hand how an engineering company handles large projects to deliver them on time. Everyone working there were very friendly and offered to help me out with what i was doing. They were very accommodating to me being there.
Friendly Colleague
Concrete Materials Technician (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn VIC23 February 2017
Works on schedule as demand according to the site requirements and weather condition. The works are more easier if you had great tools to use to fulfill your task.
Pros
Free coffees
Cons
Risk in roads and site
Excellent company
Draftsman / Designer (Former Employee) –  Sunshine Coast QLD2 January 2017
An extremely good company to work for. Value each and every staff member and provide a perfect work life balance. I would recommend working for Cardno to anyone interested
Pros
Environment
Cons
Get company to work for if interested in getting onto construction sites
Soil Technician (Current Employee) –  Sydney Western Suburbs NSW20 September 2016
Fun job to get into always having a laugh with my co wokers but getting the job done at the same time.

Typical day at work usuall is strolling into the lab getting all my gear set up and ready to start the day. Testing is quite a laid back job but you do need to ensure all testing is done correctly as a slight mistake to lead to a big situation.

To wrap it up, all staff and managers are awsome and easy to get along with making it a treat to work with this company.
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Massive hours
Ineffective in collaborative team environment
Initial site visits and client liaison (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD23 March 2016
Ineffective in collaborative team environment subcontracting smaller businesses and representing the job as their own.
The office environment is unchallenged, primitive with tons of office politics.
Civil Designer
Civil Designer (Former Employee) –  Wollongong NSW18 February 2016
Brilliant company with great employee support through personal and working environment. Great water service coordinator team and fast pace which I love.
Currently undergoing restructure and corporate takeover
PROCESS IMPROVEMENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Fortitude Valley, QLD10 November 2015
A difficult time at Cardno at the moment while the business adapts to the changing market. Otherwise, it is a great place to work with a good culture of inclusion.
Professional Consulting Firm in Social and Physical Infrastructure Projects
COUNTRY MANAGER & RESIDENT DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Moresby, QLD9 May 2015
Cardno is an integrated professional services provider, delivering a diverse range of services including structural, geotechnical, civil engineering, survey and mapping, planning/project management and asset management services.

Operating with a global network of approximately 8,500 employees in 300 offices and manage projects in over 100 countries to the highest ethical and service standards. “Together we form a strong multidisciplinary team with a wealth of knowledge, expertise and passion for improving the physical and social environments that underpin communities around the world”.

As Country Manager and Director for Cardno PNG Limited I was responsible for total business performance with full Profit & Loss accountability. The subsidiary I Managed is part of the Emerging Markets Group which is focused on developing countries around the world.

All projects that Cardno PNG Limited are engaged in are designed to build capability and capacity of the local people and to leave a positive legacy for the next generation.

My role required me to engage at the most senior levels of Government in Australia and PNG with regular meetings with the High Commissioner of Australia, the Foreign Minister (Aus), Senior officials from key Government Agencies and a very strong contributor to bilateral trade meetings.

I am a regular guest speaker at key conferences and have an extensive network of senior people in government and private sector.
Pros
Significant input into development of Nations through key Government Project Management
Very Helpful
Soil Technician (Dandenong) (Former Employee) –  Dandenong13 June 2014
The management team and the more senior tech's were always helpful with teaching me the basics of what a Soil tech is all about, So much so that i was skillful enough to go and work for Geotech in W.A in a FIFO Technician role.
Pros
Learning phase
Cons
Wages
Variety of work interesting
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Maroochydore, QLD1 June 2014
Pretty good place, some very good people.
Mentoring younger staff was very rewarding
Learned a great deal about managing large multi-disciplined teams
Great People, Great opportunities, Poor work/life balance
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Highett6 February 2014
Cardno AUS has great opportunities for work and the people are friendly and helpfull. unfortunately myself and a large amount of the staff here at AUS work under a capped salary and do not get enough compensation for the 50 - 60 hour weeks we work.

The work load in my position is high stress and low reward offering long hours poor pay and lack of resources.
Pros
Great people to work with, plenty of things to do outside of work
Cons
Long hours, poor pay