Caterpillar
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Here to help: Coronavirus update

Caterpillar Employee Reviews

Australia41 reviews
23 years work experience as a Engineer at Caterpillar
I have worked as a Engineer at Caterpillar for 23 years and they are by far one of the best Company's in the world to work for. The work is both challenging and satisfying. They have a great culture as far as work life balance goes as well as supporting family members when needed. Working as part of the marketing team over the last year or so has been great.
Reviewing customer requests for modifications, upgrades and supplying work instructions, standard work documents, Presentations and spread sheets is a normal part of my day.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Great place to work, but lacated in Tasmania can be a hindrence.
Especial
Não tenho nada a reclamar dessa empresa. Infelizmente meu visto acabou e eu tive que retornar ao Brasil. Se eu pudesse, voltaria a trabalhar com eles tranquilamente.
Pros
Salários, benefício, gestão, ambiente de trabalho, estrutura e apoio.
Cons
Nenhum!
Professional work place with great, friendly, intelligent staff
Work Experience placement.

I contributed to group discussions in organized meetings.

I was given typing duties and prepared reports, powerpoint presentations

I also completing some corporate governance reports

The group allowed me to form an opinion and participate in discussions.
Design Engineers Dream Workplace
This job has got to be one of the best Engineering jobs going around.

Underground Mining presents one of the last real engineering challenges! We are in an industry that due to the harshness of the environment, is really one of the last frontiers. All the engineering problems aren’t solved yet. Our customers operate in a dangerous environment with so many processes and operations that are still really challenging and our machines are right there with them. It’s hot, wet, corrosive, dark, there is impact damage, the productivity demands are high and everything has to be squashed into a small space.

I am encouraged to innovate and try new things to solve tough problems. I've also got access to a huge amount of design resources, parts to use and the latest technology Caterpillar has. I have all the latest tools I need to do my job well and I'm encourage to be practical and hands on with the machines, getting involved in testing and travelling to customer sites.

Were a small focussed team here but we can leverage the expertise of the global Caterpillar family. I've made great friends all over the world working here.

I get paid really well and have really supportive encouraging managers who work hard to mentor and grow me.

Come work with us, you won't regret it.
Engineering career in Burnie Australia
The parent Caterpillar Inc is a great company, however the Underground Mining Engineering business unit located in Burnie, Tasmania, Australia is not in par with the corporate CAT Inc. The employees in Burnie are treated as 2nd class. The pay rates, benifits, superannuation and Salary Grades are not in line with other units within Australia. An Engineer in main land Australia will be at least 3 grade more than an Engineer in Burnie, Tasmania. The team in Burnie is great to work with, but we're all disappointed in the way Corporate treats the Burnie employees. Once you join the Engineering team in Burnie there is no further advances. The official communication to us who want to advance in career is to move out of Burnie. My advice to anyone considering a position in CAT Burnie is to consider it only if you're unemployed and desperate to find a job. Tasmania is an isolated place and hence switching job, once you move here is impossible. It's impossible to grow in CAT Burnie too. The work nature is great, people are also great, but due to the 2nd class employee treatment the employee commitment are extremely down.
Pros
Great team
Cons
No career advance (0%), Discriminatory pay scale & benefits
Productive and Fun working place.
Learned many new things about all kinds of different oils that are tested and send to many different customers.

The Lab was very productive with many friendly and kind employees.
Excellent work/life balance with salary benefits
Caterpillar is a global company where you can find great opportunities to grow personally and professionally. Excellent share market which allows to be in contact with top customers.
Workplace culture is the one to improve with people too technical (and "too expert") in its field but with lack of leadership skills, very difficult to influence and very difficult to make their opinions to change. A lot of judging people behind the walls. This sometimes impacts on the customer who feels the arrogance in some employees. My advice to management would be to invest in leadership training rather than technical courses.

Most enjoyable part of the job is that there is always something to learn in Caterpillar.
Pros
Salary and work/life balance
Cons
Not inclusive culture, too technical knowledge
When it was Bucyrus / Capterpillar it was a very nice place to work
Supervision on trades personnel / pre-starts, apprentice training / parts / plan project lay-out job QA standards.
Safety of personnel

Every day was a learning curve as different issues

Dealing with variations

Management meetings

Enjoyable part of the job was meeting expectation on KPI and the completion of project and getting a good feeling of a job well done and no safety issues all going home safe / work culture.

Learn form management was hit & miss because do the large number of termination there was no one left we the knowledge and made it hard with no backing, engineering was good but they also left and most design was left to supervisor to take charge,/ lead with the experience that was in-house.
Pros
good team of personel
Cons
back stabbing miss management
high pressure
high pressure environment, long hours.
large company with many different departments.

somewhat of a poor work life balance when pressured to work overtime.
Pros
large company
Cons
long hours, management difficult to deal with
Proactive and an fun working places loving it
Very goods working places nice Friends and good peoples. I love my works having an very good time at worked peoples are very friendly alway helping we out.
Pros
being your lunch
Cons
8 hours
Teams working towards common goals
Great work place culture.
Lot of training.

Opportunity for advancement.

Lots of communication and sense of belonging.

Continuously improving.

Travel OS opportunity
Pros
Super scheme, shares scheme, health benefits.
Cons
nil
Good place to work when the mining industry is booming
Good cross-functional teams, with interaction with staff in other countries. Constant change and restructuring caused a drop in morale, otherwise the culture is diverse and inclusive.
State of the art work place, driving safe work practises, productive, fun & clean
State of the art facility
Clean

Safety orientated

Great on job training

productive

fun

Great opportunity for overtime everyday and weekends

Does not appear to be any opportunity to achieve full time
Pros
Great opportunity for overtime
Cons
Does not appear to be opportunity in the near future for full time position
Allro.nd good place of employment
Good work environment with great focus on safety and employee welfare.Work standards set out for easy reference. Co-workers were all of similar elk which made for a enjoyable place of employment. Diverse range of work in a manufacturing and assembly workshop.
Pros
Local management knew how to look after their workforce.
Cons
International management didn;t.
mmg
was good working there had a blast until they made everyone redundant and then changed the roster...............................................
Pros
good roster
Cons
now bad roster
great place to work
Working at cat gave me a lot of skills to take to my next job
Helping out co workers planning

Apply OH&S requirements

Dealing with customers

Deadlines

Supervision of employees
Pros
some bbqs
Cons
not enough thanks to workers
Good place to work in a very difficult time for manufacturing in Australia.
A good employer with a strong focus on safety to employees. Opportunity to advance knowledge and position in the company was available. A strong American business culture (although hard to take at times) has ensured the company's long term success.
Pros
Clean safe place to work.
Cons
"Red Tape" & Polatics.
Very restricting and controlling.
A typical day was worm ups and toolbox meeting then welding ordering parts and house keeping. I liked the welding part of the job. The hardest part of the job was management coming up with ideas for things that did not need fixing.
Pros
Good teamleaders
Cons
Bad Menagement
geat place to work
always something to do and challenge you to move the company to the Caterpillar model while keeping production and engineering design ticking over
Pros
taken over by caterpillar
Cons
family business
Excellent company to work for
Very rewarding company to work for, advancement came very quickly and your skills are rewarded.
A typical day ensured your fellow workers stayed safe, and went home safe at the end of the day.

Caterpillar kept my own training up to date with constant certification and outside training.
Pros
Company car, company house, phone, travel, enjoyable work enviroment
Cons
?
Great place to work with
A typical day at work would start with responding to customer inquiries and replying to e-mails. Followed by workshop visit to inspect the quality of work undertaken. All the co-workers at Caterpillar were really nice, friendly and willing to teach each other. While the hardest part of the job was interacting with workshop staff who are not aware of the importance of quality and the most enjoyable part was to interact with customers, clients and sub-contractors from around the world including India, China, Russia, Australia and South Africa.
Pros
Lots of people to be friends with
Cons
Lots of meetings