Centennial Coal
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Centennial Coal Employee Reviews

Australia7 reviews
Difficult to get things achieved, however it was a fun place to work with a supportive culture. It would be beneficial for the business to try and removed the silo mentality at a a site level to enable strategic projects to be achieved.
Toxic environment. Incompetent management and Senior execs, right to the top, covering the bullying and harassment of subordinates. I told one of my colleagues don’t say anything. If you complain to HR, pack your bags because you’ll be sacked soon after. And they were but HR paid them hush money so they didn’t make a formal complaint. So wrong but they get away with it
Good pay but a culture of petty politics, nepotism and too many long term employees set in their ways with no inclination to change.
Centennial Coal has so much capacity for improvement.
I worked at angus place for around 10 years in this time I leant to do almost everything to do in a coal mine from development to secondary support to long wall re-location gaining almost 70 tickets in the coal industry including my first aid, trainers and assessors certificate, deputies certificate. I get on great with my fellow employees, my best part of working in a coalmine the mate ship, work within its self I really enjoy what I do for a living.
Pros
the money, mate ship, great family life
Cons
enviroment
Centennial Coal is a member of the Banpu Group, Asia’s leading independent coal producer, supplying a range of coal types to domestic and export markets.
They maximise shareholder value by acquiring, developing and operating a portfolio of coal resources. This entails being resilient through the ups and downs of economic cycles by being a reliable supplier of choice to their diverse customer base. They aim to provide above average returns, secure employment and operate to the benefit of local communities.

Centennial Coal does not compromise safety.

Centennial Coal insists upon ethical business practices, integrity and transparency and they communicate openly and effectively with all their stakeholders.

Pros
Job security
Cons
Tough underground conditions
good company to work for .job satisfaction enjoyed going to work
Pros
flexability
Cons
future uncertain due to current downturn in coal requirenments and coal prices
An hours travel time. Followed by a 9 hour shift, rotating on a day to day basis between duties. Driving the Miner, Cable handler, Shuttle car operator, Bolting, Supplies, Ventilation, Housekeeping etc. Followed by an hours travel home.

Learned Production, Development procedures in Bord and Pillar Mining Methods. Already had previous experience in other tasks serving 2 years with a contracting company.

Management conversed with the Deputy who passed information to us.

Was placed with a relatively young and hard working crew with a couple of older more experienced Miners who passed on their knowledge. Staying positive in sometimes poor Mining conditions and speculation of the Colliery going into care and Maintenance was hard at times but was achieved.

Coming from a Maintenance crew of 9 men. Which on some weeks would complete 2 Box moves, 2 Belt moves along with Pipe work and Bolting. Production wasn't as strenuous. I would have to say handling the Miner cable would be the hardest. Depending on the driver.

Descent workmates and a reasonable workload would have to be the most enjoyable part of the job.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Centennial Coal. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6