Central Queensland University
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Central Queensland University Employee Reviews

Australia27 reviews
Great working atmosphere at the main Foyer Security Counter
It was a very happening and busy place. Had a great experience of working with students, staff and visitors. The university management was awesome and very helpful.
Teaching Experience
My experience while teaching to E-Business Systems was quite excellent. The quality of lecture slides, and assignments were to the top standard delivering the requied contents quite professionally.
Very Clicky
Management have their favorites and people get promoted without merit.
Director, DVC, VC level staff are not qualified for the job, so staff spend a lot of time chasing their tails to no avail. Is a them and us mentality.

Not enough focus on the student experience, rather a lot of in-house competitiveness goes on and student outcomes are lost.
Workplace culture is conducive to research
The job is more on research and development . The workplace is equipped with the tools and equipment needed for the work . The staff and students in the laboratory are approachable and easy to deal with. Preparations of media and culture materials are readily available. The laboratory is equipped with policies and guidelines for purposes of instruction, direction and proper behavioural expected to anybody using the laboratory facilities. Safety is always the concern of everybody using the laboratory .
Fun, fast-paced team environment
Have the chance to work with many different areas in CQU during events. never boring and depending on the event - you may get to travel.
every event worked is a great chance to build skills and network with other partners/areas in/with cqu
Innovative university with focus on distance education and regional pressence.
As part of of the Masters of Engineering qualification that we offer the students are required to be present on campus for hands-on learning experiences in their field of study. My job is to teach them part of their curricula in a controlled laboratory engironment where they can transfer their theoretical skills into practice.
Professional workplace
Good Workplace but undergoing structural change. Can be very organised but due to their number of campuses and complex structure across multiple campuses communication was difficult at times.
Pros
Professional Environment
Cons
Long Hours
Multicultural environment
Being a part of CQUniversity is a very good and powerful experience for me. Working inside universitie's multicultural environment, I learned so much about people, organization and also about myself. I learned how to deal with people with different personalities.
Good work life balance
Healthy corporate culture and a positive working environment. Staff are supportive of the students and make effort to cultivate understanding and deepen a professional relationship with each other.
No appreciation or respect.
CQIT and CQU merged ( read CQU took over CQIT) five years ago, I worked for CQIT. The academics from CQUniversity treated us like garbage, and the management could not figure out how the VET industry worked. Since then it has gone from bad to worse with over half of the teachers leaving and not being replaced, all of the lower management are also gone, as are all of the admin support. Market share has dropped from over 70% to about 5%. You can then figure out what is expected of the teachers that are still there. To add to the misery, they recently forced a new EBA on the VET teachers which strips away all of the rights they used to have, and reduced annual leave from 9 weeks to 6 weeks per year, and reduced wages, some as much as 30% as they removed a pay scale for those teachers who held tertiary qualifications.
Pros
None.
Cons
Every7 aspect of the job.
Productive and welcoming staff members
Training and continual support towards research programs were well received. Community engagement were enjoyable to join, with assistant to achieve personal goals in public speaking.
Good work environment
Good management
Flexible time,

Not much general admin tasks and can concentrate on the academic task

Good leadership

Good workplace support

Good learning resources
A very challenging environment.
A very challenging environment with an international culture, where everyboby is willing to help. A place where there is the possibility to start a professional career.
Good place but slow management
Good place to work. People are friendly and cooperative. The only issue is with management. They are really slow in performing even the smallest of tasks. Other than that its a very good place to work flexible hours, one can even go on Sundays to finish their pending work.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Slow Management
Hard work constant study and assessments long hour and committment is needed to get through.
Long days and long nights, a lot of study and it is hard work when all of your friends are out having a great time relaxing or going to out. Family time is reduced.
Pros
Achievement
Cons
Lonely study on the weekends.
Very practical and fun based workplace
During my time at CQU I was basically thrown in at the deep end as I had been employed to deliver an Automotive Electrical course. The course is a three stage course each stage being run over a twelve month period. My problem was that there were no classroom resources and very little practical resources. Over a twelve month period I designed and produced over twenty student resource workbooks which covered all the requirements for the course.
My duties also involved writing the theoretical assessments which included moderation and validation in accordance with the specifications for the Australian Training Council.

A huge learning curve.

The rewards were 100% success for the students and very positive feedback from students regarding the workbooks.
Pros
Left alone to get on with the job
Cons
Good holidays and team spirit
Very good work/life balance and very competitive compensation. The location leaves something to be desired and the campus isn't very pretty. But all in all, a great pace to work.
Great culture for different university going places
cQuniversity is an innovative and entrepreneurial university that is committed to our students and to becoming a great university.

We are one of the fastest growing universities in the country and are now a truly national university growing rapidly in world rankings.

We are progressive in nature, committed to getting things done and our work culture reflects that approach.
Pros
Great family friendly culture and multiple locations across the country
Cons
Long hours for some
Supportive environment with good people
Hours of work were from 8 to 4:45, 4 days a week.
Knowledgeable staff who were willing to support.

Variety of classroom theory and practical teaching required.
Pros
Family friendly roster
Cons
not a competitive salary
Decent role
Technological and experiential skills are crucial for the role decent hours and decent pay, only regret is leaving. Would love to work there agian
Graduation Day Assistant
I helped the university with students and their regalia's and i signed students into the the graduation and made sure that they went on the stage at the correct time.