Centrelink

Centrelink Employee Reviews

Australia82 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Most areas are good to work for, but can be a bit of an “Old Boys/Girls” network.

When seeking higher duties and job advancement they needed more selection by job fitness rather than mates club. The work was mentally and socially challenging, but could be very rewarding when able to give help to people in real hardship and economic need.

Great Place To Work

Everyone was awesome to work with.No two days were the same.Complete support to do a great job.Perfect place to work if you enjoy helping people.Never had a bad day.Great team leaders and managers.

Pros

The people

Cons

Expect you to do more than you can

Worked here for years and you used to be able to have a say in your position.. not now!.. so much constant micromanagement and now you are just expected to take on role after role and additional work.. goodluck getting more than 2 weeks leave over busy periods, and if your stat's aren't up to scratch due to being given so much work, they will just put you on a plan.. pay ok, but zero support from team leaders... only reason I stay is for my flexible work hours and the weekend overtime.. don't get me started about system issues either.. it's always who sucks up the most that seems to advance . Worked lots of roles and management is same everywhere so it seems.. not as work/life balanced as they claim and no options to work from home which is ridiculous as we did this for almost 2 years during covid.

Poor environment

Excessive micromanagingPoor payBullyingNot flexible Shocking customer callersStructuredGood systemsRegular trainingEncouragement to make regular improvements

stress from the moment you walk in to work

Management are cold and rude. Workers are completely micromanaged. The stress is not worth the pay. Depressing workplace and get treated like child . Have watched long term staff be treated badly. Staff are lovely but get pulled up on everything. You cannot be your self. Staff end up broken and walk around depressed.

Pros

pay

Cons

management, work environment, expected to answer calls with no knowledge on subject, watched by management constantly

Rude grumpy horrible staff

They have signs everywhere saying do not abuse the staff but all they do is abuse the customers. Nobody has any idea of what they are doing so I dont know why they even work there. People spend most of their time sleeping rather than actually giving people their requirements.

Pros

Cons

Seeing people starve to death from not being helped

Nasty Team Leaders

The staff working in management roles call Centrelink customers 'losers' etc. and enjoy bullying staff who threaten their position or have the intelligence to report their behaviour. They will fire you if you speak up for what is right. Micro management is a thing here and you are expected to keep your head down and roll out completely unfair policies on the most vulnerable people in our society. Nothingliek t

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Outweighs the good pay

The best job I've ever worked

Centrelink was the best job I've ever worked I enjoyed working in the environment they provided with skills and dirverty and the way they look after their employees

This is the most toxic, depressing, negative environment you could work in. If U have empathy I would avoid this

There is no respect or fair treatment of staff. There are things called shared behaviours which are rules to work under. Management however don't honour these rules as they are simply a tool to use to get rid of terminate emplyees, discriminate, bully and harrass. The behaviour towards staff is quiet apporling. There is no support for mental health or protecting or using a duty of care at all to the actual staff working for Centrelink. Yexpected to be

improvement required

some external agencies are being hired for ideas how to improve work culture as per staff survey, needs a lot improvement. good staff to work with. no company perks such as free tea/coffee club, gym membership etc

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Centrelink?

Interesting and very fast paced work

Very fast paced job, interesting work covering many areas in the payment section. Crossed over many different cultures both as clients and work colleges

Easygoing

Centerlink is not a place of work for me , I was a recipient of benefits due to not having a job simply because there are too many people in this country and no one seems to have a clue how to run this once great country .

Great place to work back in the day

Great environment to work at the time - great management and teams - learning and development opportunities aplenty and always fun activities to balance out the serious nature of the work (lots of support when needed) ... I know there have been lots of changes since I worked there so cannot comment on those.

It was a great pleasure to work with Centrelink for approximately 2 months as a security officer. Now I am ready for the next challenge where I can be a good role model to others at my workplace.

Stressful workplace, massive paperwork impost

Stressful workplace, massive paperwork impost, unrealistic case loads. in house political games rampant, destructive, bureaucratic and pedantic. Interpersonal communication sporadic.

Toxic employer

Was with them 35 years...last 5 were horrendous...management were bullying and obnoxious...it was a toxic workplace...they did not support staff at all...they were more interested in throwing you to the wolves...

At Centre link I am working with people by interpreting English-Swahili

A typical day at work is to provide all what I am asked by the organisation to do and every day I am learning from our team by respecting each other and the most enjoyable is team work.

Full time carer for ex-partner

My most recent role was being a carer which was a stressful experience looking after my mentally disabled ex-partner. I learnt a lot about patience and being open minded.

Stressful

Being a caretaker was quite stressful and draining , some days were better then others but again the work could sometimes be quite rewarding. The pay was quite good and company was quite understand of clients situation and very helpful.

Just like anyone who uses this service,

Just like anyone who uses this service. It is very calm and easy and money comes really slowly but a good thing to be dependant on. Also very fun and awesome clients and employ who work in Centrelink.

Terrible work environment

If you enjoy being micromanaged and being disciplined for being a minute late or early logging on to your workstation, then this is the place for you.

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Centrelink. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Centrelink with

Learn about Centrelink in popular locations

• Centrelink