Challenge Community Services

37: Challenge Community Services Employee Reviews

Australia37 reviews

3.2Work–Life Balance

Day Programs is great

Day programs at the main hubs was one of the best positions. Direct management was lovely, approachable and understanding. Clients were usually great to work with, occasionally new/challenging behaviour were stressful, but in group situations you had others to help. 1:1 with some clients was difficult, and some of the hours were quite long - but manager/s doing rostering were again, flexible and understanding, usually able to offer adjustments/different shifts.Work - life balance was pretty decent, easy enough to take time off where needed for medical/study/holiday/etc. Occasionally would have to do 9-10 days in a row of shifts, and it was very tiring/draining. Pay was great as well

Pros

Other staff, people focused management, pay

Cons

Long hours, some difficult shifts

Wonderful company very supportive. Mission focused

Management from CEO to line manager are very supportive. CEO often visits sites. Line mangers get involved with clients and understands the issues. Wonderful sense of culture

This company is a joke... Ask them why there are so many available positions

Management structure is terrible, absolutely no concept of the disability industry, only care about the money, not the clients. Sadly this was a leader in this industry, but with the change of management structures from the CEO to the regional managers, the company has fallen to the ground. Not a nice place to work, noone cares about the staff or clients

Needs a whole new management

Terrible company to work for in the Tamworth area…..really bad management….management don’t support the staff enough…..to much gossiping between the the staff…

Limited Support from Higher Ups, Lack of Communication, Toxic Environment

Limited support from higher ups, lack of communication, toxic environment, higher ups not willing to help clients with services. Wouldn’t recommend for anyone.

Poor management

Compassion: we care for people (how about employee?)Collaboration: we come together to achieve our vision. (Hope everyone in same page)Respect: how about employees choiceIntegrity: how about employeePeople-focused: how about your employee?

Pros

Empathy

Cons

your availability

Difficult

There is no transparency.No confidentiality. No support.You are the first to get thrown under the bus.Accusations are made without foundation or proof.

Pros

You can change a childs life

Cons

Zero support

Not worth a cracker.

Too big a company. Feels like day program is only the poor relative of their bigger businesses, SIL and foster care.No structure in listening and responding to difficulties that I and other staff had.Beware management and HR recording meetings and conversations without notice or approval.

Pros

Knowing that you can make a difference in a client's day

Amazing workplace

Challenge was my first role in the community service sector and it surely didn’t disappoint. From the start of my interview to my last day on the job I felt welcomed and appreciated. I had 0 experience and no qualifications, but they took me on anyway ready to teach me along the way. The atmosphere within the organisation was lovely, everyone was friendly and respectful. I was provided with the opportunity to develop my skills and learn from my 2IC and team leader. On my last day, customers and co-workers wrote in a hand made card wishing me well in my future endeavours, which really shows you the kind of workplace environment Challenge strive for.

Pros

Amazing workplace environment

Cons

Shift work can be difficult sometimes.

Stressful

I would not recommend working here. The workload is intense, communication and training are poor and there is no work/life balance at all. There is a reason the turnover of staff is high.

Oran park was very toxic, lots of bullying, racism was very common. Supervisors were incompetent

The management at Oran Park were very racist in their treatment of staff.Bullying and staff back stabbing is the norm.If you are a casual and you make the mistake of putting in a compliant, you will never be given a shift. No wonder there is high rate of staff turnover. Will never recommend this place to even my worst enemy talk less of someone I care about. This organisation is supposed to provide services for mental health but alot of staff leave there with depression and suicidal thoughts due to bullying, racism and favouritism. The only staff who survive here are those who suck up to the management. AVOID THIS ORGANISATION

Pros

You learn how gossip

Cons

You end up with mental illness

Love my job

I’ve worked for challenge for 2 years, and if I’d had any issues I would have chosen to leave by now! I get along well with my colleagues, our clients are incredible individuals who I enjoy supporting. I feel like I’ve found a job that I happily get out of bed to go to!! ‘Find a job you love, and never work a day in your life’

Pros

Fair pay, flexible rosters, supporting and helpful management, benefits

I love working for Challenge

Challenge has supported me in many area's. And the training is on-going. Most of the carers are hard working individual. Challenge have support in many areas of my work. And Challenging don't take lightly when hiring. Excellent working enviroment and we are quite spoilt. They take steps to protect their workers and clients from all issues that may arise.

Pros

Well cared for clients and staff.

Cons

Never a dull moment.

toxic place to work

Challenve employ under skilled staff for their complex mental heath group homes. Management and HR are a disgusting team. Challenge take clients money for their funding but do not provide the correct supports. Stafg take clients to their homes and clients have to fit into staff running personal errands during client support shifts.

Pros

Cons

toxic and incompetent staff and management

Disability Accommodation Support

Team leader was really great and supportive.The current supervisor was really good to work with. For years that I have worked in disability support, it is very rare for a “Support worker” to have a chance to really work collaboratively with more senior staff and feel valued as part of the team. We have a great team, with really great sensible support workers just doing the best for the clients.

Stressful and bad upper management but good teams

The job was stressful and clients behaviours were very hard to deal with. Upper management did not seem to care. There was not many training opportunities and they did not give many opportunities to move up in the company.

Pros

Good team and good work life balance

Cons

Not many opportunities and client behaviours.

Work place culture is toxic

A typical day is stressful in the day programs, I learned that management likes to divide and conquer. The clients are great to work with but if your not in the little clique that upper management supports then basically your on your own.

I can’t wait to leave. Stay far away

Corruption and egos are running the show at the highest levels. On the floor, there is a lot of gossip amongst staff and backstabbing. I have witnessed poor treatment of the clients. If you put in a formal complaint, you will be made to feel like the problem. There is no support throughout the complaint process and the woman in charge of the HR department is a cancer on the face of humanity

Petty

Petty and choose any opportunity to dismiss even after given information requested..... I understand why they go through so many employees.i would not recommend them as an employer

Some difficult clients with the company still advertising for more workers.

Good people in Brisbane/Ipswich workforce. Difficult to get enough work with management always advertising for more workers- does not add up. Had to join another company to get some work.

Challenge

Very good working for them. I had lots of support and great staff to help you when needed. Would recommend challenge to anyone looking for work. Great

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Challenge Community Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Challenge Community Services with