Challenge Community Services
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Challenge Community Services Employee Reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Disability Accommodation Support

Team leader was really great and supportive.The current supervisor was really good to work with. For years that I have worked in disability support, it is very rare for a “Support worker” to have a chance to really work collaboratively with more senior staff and feel valued as part of the team. We have a great team, with really great sensible support workers just doing the best for the clients.

Not worth a cracker.

Too big a company. Feels like day program is only the poor relative of their bigger businesses, SIL and foster care.No structure in listening and responding to difficulties that I and other staff had.Beware management and HR recording meetings and conversations without notice or approval.

Pros

Knowing that you can make a difference in a client's day

Amazing workplace

Challenge was my first role in the community service sector and it surely didn’t disappoint. From the start of my interview to my last day on the job I felt welcomed and appreciated. I had 0 experience and no qualifications, but they took me on anyway ready to teach me along the way. The atmosphere within the organisation was lovely, everyone was friendly and respectful. I was provided with the opportunity to develop my skills and learn from my 2IC and team leader. On my last day, customers and co-workers wrote in a hand made card wishing me well in my future endeavours, which really shows you the kind of workplace environment Challenge strive for.

Pros

Amazing workplace environment

Cons

Shift work can be difficult sometimes.

Stressful

I would not recommend working here. The workload is intense, communication and training are poor and there is no work/life balance at all. There is a reason the turnover of staff is high.

Oran park was very toxic, lots of bullying, racism was very common. Supervisors were incompetent

The management at Oran Park were very racist in their treatment of staff.Bullying and staff back stabbing is the norm.If you are a casual and you make the mistake of putting in a compliant, you will never be given a shift. No wonder there is high rate of staff turnover. Will never recommend this place to even my worst enemy talk less of someone I care about. This organisation is supposed to provide services for mental health but alot of staff leave there with depression and suicidal thoughts due to bullying, racism and favouritism. The only staff who survive here are those who suck up to the management. AVOID THIS ORGANISATION

Pros

You learn how gossip

Cons

You end up with mental illness

Love my job

I’ve worked for challenge for 2 years, and if I’d had any issues I would have chosen to leave by now! I get along well with my colleagues, our clients are incredible individuals who I enjoy supporting. I feel like I’ve found a job that I happily get out of bed to go to!! ‘Find a job you love, and never work a day in your life’

Pros

Fair pay, flexible rosters, supporting and helpful management, benefits

I love working for Challenge

Challenge has supported me in many area's. And the training is on-going. Most of the carers are hard working individual. Challenge have support in many areas of my work. And Challenging don't take lightly when hiring. Excellent working enviroment and we are quite spoilt. They take steps to protect their workers and clients from all issues that may arise.

Pros

Well cared for clients and staff.

Cons

Never a dull moment.

toxic place to work

Challenve employ under skilled staff for their complex mental heath group homes. Management and HR are a disgusting team. Challenge take clients money for their funding but do not provide the correct supports. Stafg take clients to their homes and clients have to fit into staff running personal errands during client support shifts.

Pros

Cons

toxic and incompetent staff and management

Stressful and bad upper management but good teams

The job was stressful and clients behaviours were very hard to deal with. Upper management did not seem to care. There was not many training opportunities and they did not give many opportunities to move up in the company.

Pros

Good team and good work life balance

Cons

Not many opportunities and client behaviours.

Work place culture is toxic

A typical day is stressful in the day programs, I learned that management likes to divide and conquer. The clients are great to work with but if your not in the little clique that upper management supports then basically your on your own.

Jobs at Challenge Community Services

See more jobs

I can’t wait to leave. Stay far away

Corruption and egos are running the show at the highest levels. On the floor, there is a lot of gossip amongst staff and backstabbing. I have witnessed poor treatment of the clients. If you put in a formal complaint, you will be made to feel like the problem. There is no support throughout the complaint process and the woman in charge of the HR department is a cancer on the face of humanity

Petty

Petty and choose any opportunity to dismiss even after given information requested..... I understand why they go through so many employees.i would not recommend them as an employer

Some difficult clients with the company still advertising for more workers.

Good people in Brisbane/Ipswich workforce. Difficult to get enough work with management always advertising for more workers- does not add up. Had to join another company to get some work.

Challenge

Very good working for them. I had lots of support and great staff to help you when needed. Would recommend challenge to anyone looking for work. Great

No two days were the same.

I generally enjoyed my time at Challenge. The work was enjoyable and the clients provided many rewarding experiences. At times the pressure to do extra shifts became quite difficult, particularly if the clients had difficult behaviours. Support from co-workers was wonderful.

Poor management, lack of communication.

Higher management enables work place bullying, cronyism and favourtism. The greatest part is working with people with disabilities who give so much!

Working in this company is so beneficial.

When I first start my job in this company I enjoy a lot working here. It's too beneficial working with this company.I learned all the responsibility to be done by cleaner.

Pros

Break for 30 minutes

Fantastic work culture

Awesome people, supportive management, excellent team culture and a great work/life balance. The best work environment I've ever been part of which is very important given the emotionally charged environment we work in.

Pros

Supportive Team Culture

Cons

Emotionally challenging work

fun

its a good job. the people and customers are lovely to be around. it was clean and very tidy. the layout is also good. I love helping others who need help.

Pros

smiles

Cons

constantly busy

Great experience to gain a professional career

Was a great company, amazing participants, great work environment and team members. Each day was a different experience. I experienced the elderly, the young children and the in between age groups.

high expectations and positive work culture

A great company to work for, challenge provided me with the ability to work with some wonderful clients and foster families. challenge enabled me to gain the experience and confidence to become an excellent caseworker

Pros

work life blance

Cons

high expectations and less management support

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Challenge Community Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Challenge Community Services