Charles Darwin University
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Charles Darwin University Employee Reviews

3.9Work–Life Balance

Good people in my department

Love the people in my own department but I am aware of other people in other departments being unhappy; Allowed remote/ work from home and highly flexible. Love working in collaborative teams.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Top executives out of touch with what is needed and the real work that goes on

Non-compliant

A typical day at CDU consisted of dealing with historic complaints from students and stakeholders. The induction was slapdash and management made a lot of excuses about the lack of quality in education at CDU. The teaching and learning materials are poor. My managers have been there for at least a decade, one has been employed at CDU for nearly three decades. Inertia. Organisational culture is a problem but may improve with the new VC appointed in 2021. I was in the VET sector (holding a MEd) and as far as I am concerned, VET at CDU hasn't improved since I worked as a contractor at CDU VET in 2005/06 - prior to ASQA. In 2021, I did not witness compliance with the Standards of RTOs (2015). I sighted evidence of non-compliance from 2017. Two staff that were employed from elsewhere prior to 2021 told me they were told "don't rock the boat" and they would be okay at CDU. According to research, equity cohorts have not been served in the NT despite oodles of NT/Federal funding going to CDU.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Unethical and time for a change

average organisation

above average pay and benefits, little opportunity for career advancement, good location, average management, good work life balance, bit laid back...

A productive and enjoyable place to work

Collaborative and supportive and providers of good positive and helpful feedback on staff performance. Good resouces and training materials and encouragement of professional learning opportunities. For example I was funded to upgrade my TAE Certificate IV although I was on a fixed contract. This was greatly appreciated and and is a major reason for my very high ratings of this organisation.

Economy to blame

A great place to work when all is going well. Unfortunately the boom and bust of our local economy finally caught up with us.... Go the restructure... yay... That's all I have to say.

great place to work

great place to work, no complaints at all, lots of outback travel, met amazing people CDU were very supportive in many ways, great teamwork, great pay

Pros

travel

Cons

many kms on red dirt roads

Instentive and Productive

Its was pretty intense when setup the venue because you have limit hours before the show has start soon and i did audio for the live concerts and dance for them .

most enjoyable part of the job

For the past months, my relationship with the different heads of school and staff members have been one of the two important parts of the job for me - work relations. It has enabled me to function well with different personalities and backgrounds which has both been fun and educational at the same time. The second most important one is that I am able to provide relevant service to my area. I have been able to practice what I know and really provide quality service which any employer would expect. The fun and most enjoyable part of it is that - I am having the best time that I possibly can, doing the job that I know I am good at and being able to work around and with people who bring out the best in me - which makes anything not seem like work.

good

Pros: Good Working Environment Work From Home responsibilities was easy flexible hours not so far for transportation cons: no job security No Growth

Visiting faculty

I visited Charles Darwin University at Darwin, Australia on behalf of Institute of Management Technology. I was there only for 3 weeks and had good experience and opportunity to interact with the student's and faculty there.

Great colleagues and the best coffee ever

All colleagues support one another. When you need help from management, you get it. The work is very hard and the long unpaid saturdays spent in the office tend to bring down the hourly rate.

Job description generally fulfilled my expectations.

Excellent salary and benefits, rent-free accommodation available on campus, regular opportunities for staff development and acquisition of additional job skills and qualifications.Generally poor to occasionally toxic job culture between staff and management, however generally good to excellent relations and cooperation amongst staff, varied and interesting job tasks and plentiful opportunities for travel across the Top End as part of work duties.

Pros

Indexed salary package, PD opportunities

Cons

High work load, poor work culture.

Productive workload

I worked as a filing clerk putting paper work in staffs files,I did archiving. I dot on well with the staff and enjoyed working with the staff, they were always very helpful

Pros

Great staff

Cons

there were no cons it was great being there

Good Place to Work

Fantastic team and very good place to work. Always takes responsibility with professionalism and a fun place to work and goos salary as well.

Challenging, Rewarding,

Every day can be different as I speak with so many different cultures and have to contextulise, my delivery to students. Remote communities throw many challenges from culture to accomadation.

Great school, poor management

While the opportunity to teach at Charles Darwin University was excellent, the department was very disorganized, and it unfortunately resulted in many students being lost in the system.

Great wages and friendly staff

most people i have worked with at Charles Darwin university were very friendly and helpful

Working for CDU opened my eyes to the disadvantage of our Indigenous community and allowed me a certain autonomy when delivering literacy and numeracy

I worked remotely with CDU with a certain autonomy for 4 years until I became town based where I delivered literacy and numeracy support to VET students. I have learned that Indigenous disadvantage goes beyond that reported in the media. For example, Indigenous culture must be supported and highlighted to other significant Australians...continuing cultural beliefs and practices for Indigenous people are paramount in their struggle for recognition and reconciliation. I have also experienced the lack of pathways for mainstream school students who do not aspire to academia. Trite respect is given the two-third of students who are incapable of academic pathways nor choose them. Literacy and Numeracy skills for VET areas (especially Trades) are well below acceptable levels; too many teachers know little of the workforce/place beyond their own limited/restricted work experiences in part time work as they navigated school, university and school again as teachers and then suggest that if academia is inappropriate then perhaps 'fall back to a Trade'.

Pros

Great PD support for me

Great group of co-workers and Culture

Charles Darwin University Finance department, have a great group of people that worked well together and helping each other out with everyday task. There was always room for improvement and achievements.

Stimulating and challanging environment.

Although I worked independently in the field I was a contributing member of a great team. I was able to use my initiative and design material to suite various levels of clientèle. I had excellent managerial support. Typically I travelled to remote communities to deliver training. The hardest part of the job was long travel from Alice Springs to the Communities The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing students improve their skills and broaden knowledge of their area of work.

Pros

Being part of a dedicated team.

Cons

Long travel time, e.g. three hours on dirt roads.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Charles Darwin University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Charles Darwin University
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?