Chatime Employee Reviews

Very productive and nice co-workers
T-rista (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC13 October 2019
Procedures are pretty routine for closing and opening the store
Requires a lot of collaborative work or you'll literally get nothing done
Average management style, co-workers are great
Explaining the menu can be a hassle as well as memorising the drinks
Pros
Unlimited free drinks on shift and staff discounts
Cons
Can be very routine and may get sick of it
Terrible dont recommend!
Don’t work (Former Employee) –  Eastland Shopping Centre VIC8 October 2019
Awful
Tea taste trash n not made fresh at Eastland
Workers look messy and tired, rude attitude don’t talk nicely
Work place looks too small and no one looks happy
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Rude servers
Vindictive, micromanaging manager
T-Rista (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC19 September 2019
I worked for Chatime for about 8 months. My boss started off as nice but very quickly turned. I started off working about 32 hours a week which was great, but my boss often cut my shifts down with no warning, I went to 28 hours a week, then down to 24 hours a week again with no warning or explanation. I'm aware it's casual work but when you are given fixed shifts every week I'd expect some type of warning or explanation for it. I was being made to close the store 4 nights a week and when I asked if I could switch one or two of those shifts to day shifts he cut my hours again. I was also expected to close the store for my manager when he couldn't attend, and then also 1 day a week routinely, with no extra pay - doing these duties were not part of my award so I was being underpaid.

He has also had international workers which I presume he was underpaying. He was often more abusive to the international workers he had for some reason.

I never had a single sick day at chatime, not because I wasn't sick but because my manager would pressure me into working when I had a cold. I had about 4 colds in the 8 or so months I worked there and wasn't allowed a single day off, I was given no time off to recover which is probably why they were recurring. I would be coughing and sneezing while handling the drinks which is disgusting, but I had no choice as I needed a job to survive at the time, and my boss would imply that he would permanently replace me if I didn't attend work.
He also has pressured other employees into working while they were unwell.

My manager asked me last minute
  more... to cover someone else's shift that they canceled, when I told him I could not cover the shift (first time ever turning down a shift) he hired new staff and cut my hours with no warning again, which was obviously a very petty and vindictive move on his behalf.

Payslips were constantly weeks late, and pay-cheques were often days late as well. The award they gave me did not match up to my responsibilities at the store at all, I was expected to do a lot more. I was expected to; close the store on my own, train and supervise staff, and at one point I ran the store on my own while my manager was away. I also did not receive my superfund payment until I had left and asked my boss why I hadn't yet received it - I know that some of my ex-coworkers are still yet to receive their superfund payments.

As a person, my manager is unkind. He has made most of his employees cry at work or at home after work. He is very petty and often criticises his employees on their work ethic for no reason. There were times where I was obviously performing a mandatory task and he would come and tell me off for not working. He constantly stresses out and belittles his employees. He would blame his employees for the store not doing well - as if we could somehow bring in more customers for him. Often telling us we need to improve and that we're not working hard enough, then not actually offering any advice or training on how he'd like us to work. He obviously has no respect for his staff, which is why his store has the highest turnover of any chatime in Victoria.

The airconditioning unit broke and still hadn't been fixed or replaced after 8 months, which is horrific as they expect their staff to work in summer weather, which was hitting highs of 46 degrees at the start of the year. I had to do an 8 hour shift in a shop that was about 43 degrees, I couldn't handle it and after 5 hours I told my manager that I was feeling too sick to continue, surprisingly he called someone else in to cover the rest of my shift, but then proceeded to talk behind my back implying that I was just lazy and didn't want to work. We were also made to work in weather reaching as low as 6 degrees with no heater, with the shop doors completely open.

Chatime as a company obviously does not care about their franchisees and employees, as whenever anything would break it would take them at least a month or so to send someone over to fix it. Within 3 months of the store opening the air-conditioner, fridge, ice machine, display fridge and things like doors, cupboard doors, taps were all starting to break. Still to this day something substantial is breaking every couple of weeks. Chatime wants to save as much money for themselves as possible, which is why the quality of the equipment they buy is extremely poor, also the tradespeople they bring often do not do their job properly.

There's absolutely no one staff can contact at chatime to discuss how their manager is treating them at work, it's really sad that this company does not care about their employees. There should be more opportunity for staff to be able to talk up when things like this are happening, as currently the only person in the company we have contact with are powerless co-workers and abusive managers.

They need to do better.
Pros
Free drinks, nice co-workers
Cons
Mostly everything
A shop always very busy
All rounder (Former Employee) –  Eastwood NSW18 September 2019
You have to work hard , but as most of them are paid by cash, your get paid low, it is not really fair. Usually they don’t expect a lot experience from you ,because you get paid in the beginning and it is in cash
Fun and enjoyable workplace
Barista / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wetherill Park NSW19 August 2019
The workplace culture was so inviting, it allowed for creativity and enhanced my skills when it came to working in a team. The hardest part of the job was learning all the recipe's for drinks and toppings but once you get the hang of it, it is quite a lot of fun.
its a good place to work
Top Ryde - Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW3 August 2019
Working at Chatime is a good experience because i have learbed new skills such as making the teas, customer service, working at the poss, handling money and working under stressfull situations. My co workers are friendly and helpful as they knwo what to do when i ask for assistance or help. The pay for chatime is decent amount for my age.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
small pay
Good environment
South Gate, Casual drinks attendant (Former Employee) –  Southgate22 April 2019
Great environment to be around the only downfall is the miscommunication between co-works that sometimes lead to misunderstandings but overall the people are nice and kind.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
always on your feet
Fun workplace, but disorganised
T-RISTA (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA2 April 2019
It was not the most organised store when it came to management, rosters were released late and there wasn't a definite amount of hours you would receive. In saying that, working for the company was enjoyable and was a fun role.
Pros
discounted drinks + 2 free per shift
Cons
not enough hours/job stability
Terrible culture, full of discrimination run by novice inexperienced management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Sydney Central Business District NSW9 February 2019
Work like a bull yet the management siting in their head office demanding more. They don’t listen to feedback although they say so. All they care is you bring more sales to store. Culture driven by fear, insecurity & finger pointing. One of the worst retail organisations I have ever worked in.0
Pros
Free drink
Cons
Horrible culture, terrible inexperienced management
chatime review
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Liverpool NSW4 February 2019
working at cha time has brought me new experiences and skills that were developed and learnt. the environment is great to work at so as working with the other co-workers. the management is good as i feel like a friend with the bosses but also being able to act professional around them.
Pros
free drinks while working
Cons
less shifts
Great but have time
Part Time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fountain Gate VIC27 August 2018
Chatime was a great place to work in as a first job. However, as a student, it is difficult to manage time as the hours are sometimes unfair during the holidays.
Pros
Half price drinks during work
Cons
Unfair and unorganised hours
Nice colleagues and nice customers
Group Member (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW22 August 2018
My daily job is serving customers. For example, take order and make drinks.My colleagues are very friendly and we get along well with each other. The aim of our store is to satisfy our customers. In here the satisfaction not just about the taste of our drinks, but also the attitude and quality of our service. I have learn so much from this position, such as I learned to be patient with others. I love to heard the opinion given by customers, which help me to improve my personal skills.
Busy and productive work place
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hawthorn VIC23 July 2018
Working at Chatime has taught me a few things. I've learnt how to socialise with people from different backgrounds (staff and customers). I've learnt to manage my time well and multi-task in this fast pace working environment to deliver the best customer service and quality product. I've master my micro-management skill by juggling well between servicing customer and delivering product on time.
The hardest part of the job is to keeping the sales up, and to supervise staff because everyone has different working attitude and different pace in learning skill.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
late meals due to shift hours to suit busy time
Productive and fun & amazing work place
T-rista (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC5 July 2018
Funny team members
Amazing fruity tea and milk tea
Outstanding management
Having chance to communicate with lovely customers
Creating new and yummy drinks everyday
it is a fun job
T-rista (Current Employee) –  Queen Victoria Building NSW3 June 2018
the one that I like to become part of chatime is we can always communicate with costumer, serving people with smile and patience, and also I think making drink is a fun stuff
Pros
Free drinks and the closing section is not hard
Overall a good working environment
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Doncaster8 May 2018
It was especially challenging during rush hour, especially with just 2 people in store sometimes.
However, the work environment was welcoming, and the co-workers were all friendly and easy to work with.
Pros
2 Free Drinks per shift and discounts
casual position
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Marion SA1 March 2018
I worked here for over 3 months it was amazing. loved the customer interaction and the team i worked with. every day was lots of fun as i met someone new everyday. all the team members were great
Really fast pace but fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA8 February 2018
Whist my time was very limited with the company I really enjoyed being at Chatime Australia. It provided new skills like making the tea it's self to learning new TEEL structures. Hardest part of the job would be just remembering every drink procedure as all of the tea have different step to them. Lastly having to work under pressure when the store is really busy.
Pros
Good environment, Staff discount, flexible hours, staff discount
Cons
Fast pace and when starting alot to remember
Fun work place with nice customers
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jesmond NSW5 October 2017
I learn to take customers' orders and repeat to ensure it is correct. I also learnt how to count and return the correct change to customers. I learn a lot about customer services and feel more confident in having a conversation with customers. The hardest part of the job is when the wave of customers all come in together when we are running out of some ingredients. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with customers with shaking the tea.
Pros
flexible hours, free drink during work
Cons
low pay
Great
milk tea service (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW15 September 2017
Nice experience,the first time went to Sydney. They give me these chance to do some make soft drinks work and it is pretty good to understand what style everyone prefer to choose. More over the relevant staff help and teach me to make it better. Thank all of body in this period. I feel greatful for this career and I hopefully will step to a new floor in my future life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chatime. Our community is ready to answer.