CheapasChips Employee Reviews

a great group of people to work for
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mount Gambier22 May 2019
Cheap as chips is a great company to work for. I am looking for more work as i would like to work more hours then i do as everyone's hours at cheap as chips has been cut for funding purposes.
Pros
great people to work under always a happy work place
Cons
not enough hours
Negligence and don't care
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  VICTORIA AUSTRALIA27 March 2019
I have worked at cheap as chips for the past 5-6 years in two different stores.
At first i loved working for the company but as "new" head office came into action in the last year and a half in one of the Victorian stores. The company has gone to the toilet.
Prices on things have skyrocketed and at an ALL-TIME high.
We've been initiinging 3-4promotions a week. With little notice of these promotions comming into play. We have to MANUALLY put these promotions into the sales rather than it being time effiecient.

Hours are being cut meaning their is less team members on the floor and it's harder to live off the minimum 12 hours at 20$ an hour as a part time employee. Alot of staff are having to search elsewhere for jobs because there's a fair chunk of us who study and have other commitments that we need more scheduled hours.

I personally sustained an inury at work, fracturing 2 bones and tearing a previous rebuild of a ligament injury. And a possibility of damaging my siatic nerve. After negilence of the back area and lack of maintenanceThe company only compensatated for my fractures but it was a bare minimum and only paid wages. I was forced back to work by a manager and practically screamed at by said manager telling me " your only in it for the money" when i still had a fibreglass cast and my mental health was seriously affected. I was anxious and mentally not ready to return to work.

After the injury i was consitinatly spoken down to by management and told not to do anything that would hurt my injury. However i was then put on register and having broken my
  more... left wrist. A customer grabbed my arm squeezed my JUST out of a cast wrist. And then threw a heavy product onto my wrist. Causing my amence amount of pain and was just told to "suck it up"

I have recently LEFT the company for many reasons and I WOULD NOT recommend working under the new head office as they only care about themselves.

Customers constantly walk out because of the hijacked prices and not having availablity of stock that popular. And lack of being able to find staff for assistance. We have a massive store and should be allocated more hours out of our budjet to assist with the stores needs.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Management and support from head office
Was so much better
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Victoria22 March 2019
In the beginning of my time at Cheap as Chips it was great. NOW with the new lot in charge it’s has gone down the drain. The new management doesn’t listen to staff who have been in the company for more than 5 years and know what works at the store level.
This business used to be a caring and helpful place but the new folks running the joint couldn’t care less about the people on the floor.
It sometimes feels like the buyers have stopped doing their jobs, as we have so many empty shelves and hooks that customers are asking us if we are going out of business.
Time is being wasted moving too much stock to our promo area, we are, sometimes, triple handling stock, from pallets to section to promo to section again, when we should be getting all the stock out so our customers can get the products they are after. Customers still don’t recognise that we have a promo section, they go to the sections looking for the catalogue items so the promo dumpys seem like such a waste of time and space.
Many stores are running on a skeleton crew with customers finding it hard to find anyone in the store
The constant price changes are getting ridiculous. A lot of the products come pre priced and we are spending way too long cutting off tags or scratching off stickers or changing the price at the registers when the customer points out the discrepancy. It’s not hard to just stoped changing the price of these particular products. Most of the prices are increasing and customers are noticing, they are walking out without buying anything and upper management/head office are wondering why our customer
  more... count and spend is so low
The morale in the stores have hit an all time low with all the changes happening in head office recently
I miss the old caring management team who really cared about the people who are in the stores
Pros
The people on the floor
Cons
Head offices lack of care
Fun place at lower levels, not so much at higher levels
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Adelaide SA25 February 2019
Good people in the stores who are fun and have good intentions, but terrible upper management who make bad decisions and have no idea how to actually run the company. Multiple changes of the people in our store for no real reason and a real poor attitude.
Helpful and friendly staff and managers who are there to support you
Shop Assistant (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Bell Park VIC5 February 2019
Working at Cheap As Chips has been a really great experience because the workday is always filled with laughter. Management staff is kind and understandable people who will help you if you are struggling while working. The staff at Cheap As Chips aren't just people who you work with they are your friends and people who you can have a good time with. The hardest part of the job would be to handle customers who get angry easily because you don't want to make them madder. The most enjoyable part would be just coming into work knowing that it is a safe environment and you don't have to be scared to ask for help.
Pros
dinner parties
Cons
short hours for casuals
Productive and fun working environment with friendly staff
Shop assistant (Former Employee) –  Seaford SA5 February 2019
Productive and fun working environment with friendly and dependable staff. Training provided is easy and explained thoroughly. Break times are even and fair.
Good people, low morale
Store person (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA3 February 2019
An amazing single handed built company that was sold to investors and is now going down the gurgler. Much like wendys restaurant chain, which also went down the gurgler.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No idea how to run it
Fun working in a team. The team looks out for each other.
Customer service assistant (Current Employee) –  Munno Para, AU3 December 2018
Lovely people to work with, would love to keep working with them. A great environment. Easy to keep up with. A lot fun at work. Great support whenever I’m stuck on something or need help.
Pros
Time and support and understanding
good place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northern Suburbs S.A.19 November 2018
Great place to work, management team friendly, staff great to work with.No advancement into management.Hours were normal trading hours as other retail companies.
Pros
great staff
Cons
some staff hard to get along with
Caring people
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nuriootpa SA15 November 2018
I enjoy serving the customers and enjoy the team work at cheap as chips.It is a fun place to be, especially as we sell lots of Christmas stock. Customers enjoy the fact that we dress up in costume and enjoy the service that we provide. Lots of returning customers.
Pros
Discount
no advancement
Storeman (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA11 November 2018
rather not say, wouldn't re hire me. If you like talking about soccer all day, and letting others carry you, this is the place for you. i will fill in the space with random words.
Don’t waste your time
Management retail (Former Employee) –  Seaford SA17 October 2018
Had only been here 1 week in training and had been treated very poorly, no training provided within the week I was there then was let go because I wasn’t good enough/ up to their ridiculous standards. Very underpaid and are expected to stay back with no pay. Would 100% not recommend
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Pay/ poor culture/ bullying/ high expectations without praise
If you like to be treated unfair this company fit you
Stocky ,customer service (Former Employee) –  Port Adelaide SA14 October 2018
I work for them for two years got a Secret shopper and received 100 percent gave the company my time and it turn out that it's not what you have to offer and how good you are at your job it who you know and how far their head is up in their rectom
Pros
Cons
Lots
Abandon ship!
Manager (Current Employee) –  South Australia25 July 2018
Amateurish upper management and support teams in head office have no idea how a shop runs at "chips" (lol) and the new head office support staff (hired in last 4 years) that should know as they came from shops have either conveniently forgotten what it was like or as is most likely the case, had little to nothing to offer in shops, so their lack of output and work ethic has naturally carried over with them.

Used to sell cheap "stuff", now its overpriced "stuff" of lesser quality. Dont "try" to share this opinion with the buyers as they know more than the waves of customers telling you're expensive and im going elsewhere, plus they wont respond to your calls or emails.
Regarding customer numbers, dont try to use it as a possible reason for falling customer numbers when HO are grilling you as to why are your customer numbers down, as its not a reason.

This will be long winded but if you want a very basic view of day to day, whilst keeping in mind I am leaving things off this, then read on: As a manager if you want to do at least 4 things at once (have the cordless phone, be the only one on floor who can do refunds because we cant afford to give the coded staff more hours, even though they're begging for them and you're the bad guy saying no, have to get 6 pallets of stock out yourself today, manage 2 staff to get the remaining 6 pallets out, checking to see if HO changed the reggie challenge promo/facebook promo for the 3rd time today, along with all the other correspondence like recalls, pricing mistakes, something didn't download so can you print 300 labels
  more... and relabel those 300 things all of which are happening a lot more in the past few months!, customer service half the shop, help load furniture, pots, potting mix, cow manure into customer cars in any weather, from 45 degree heat to pouring rain whilst getting stick from HO for not making sales and wanting answers, whilst being jerked around by support office know alls who know nothing, whilst doing more hours than you're contracted, whilst taking home less a week than a checkout operator at coles, then you'll love managing here.

And dont try to confide or vent to HR, they will just push you out of the business or ignore you.
Pros
Staff, before the good ones realise they're are being used and underpaid and leave, then they'll be a con with the duds left, which is nearly the case. Manager positions available so you will get one, but thats because they're all leaving.
Cons
Upper management, support office, lack of training, bullying culture, HR is a joke, too many wanting to make change, make "their impact" without logically thinking the decision through
Not a good place to work at all.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Gawler SA22 March 2018
This company has old dinasour managers that do not like to be challenged or adapt to change. They bully, harass and intimidate new staff as they want to feel superior and try to show dominance. Upper management choose to ignore any bullying that goes on in the workplace and instead of dealing with the issue at hand they try to push you out of the company to not have to deal with it. Pay is considerably low with the expectations required. If you want to be respected and treated fairly, this is not the company to work for.
Pros
Discount
good team environment
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Broken Hill NSW 288017 March 2018
I loved the customer service, stock replenishment side of the job. I also enjoyed the companionship of a team environment and believe if you can make your job enjoyable, then you get more out of your employees. Being acknowledged for work well done was a moral booster.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
management
N-a
Pick and Packer (Current Employee) –  South Adelaide SA7 March 2018
The work was easy and enjoyable. However the people's attitudes and blatant disrespect to most workers, was very poor. Management needs changing, lots of who you know, not what you know, and nepotism in the workplace.
Pros
enjoyable work, some decent workers.
Cons
early hours, bad management.
variety of stations
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glenelg SA14 February 2018
working at cheap as chips you will be placed in a different position regularly, several stock replenishment stations and 4 till operation stations, 2 stations always available , 2 of the crew will be on counter standby to assist when necessary.
Pros
variety of stations, staff discount
Cons
not all spots have good air conditioning during summer
Not a great place with new upper management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA11 February 2018
It used to be a fantastic place to work. Not so much now. Such a shame. The expectations required is impossible with higher budgets and less hours. Upper management have no respect for there store managers. They have no positive feedback it is all negative.
Pros
Good customers and local store based staff
Cons
Overworked and underpaid. No respect from head office management
there ok
Manager / Shift Runner (Current Employee) –  Windsor Gardens SA10 February 2018
there ok good to talk to some people there are nice but some other people there are not so nice would rather work in a more nicer work place with better management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CheapasChips. Our community is ready to answer.