CheapasChips
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

CheapasChips Employee Reviews

Australia63 reviews
I never even worked at this company. I'm sure its a fine work place. I'm just trying to fill up characters so I can apply for a new job. okay all done
There is one person in particular who is head of a department and personally, i can't think of anyone worse for that job.

-they have absolutely no people skills whatsoever.

-you cannot go to this person in confidence as they tend to discuss issues with other team members rather than address first hand with the staff member concerned.

-they play favorites

-they make and act on assumptions rather than find out facts which leads them to automatically blame and point fingers at those who are clearly not their favorite.

-they completely ignore any and all concerns put forward regarding ridiculous workloads.

-you go to them regarding bullying issues only to be advised to ignore them and that it's about making $ at the end of the day.

-they intentionally degrade you in front of other staff.

This person walked into the roll and made a whole bunch of changes ignoring the warning signs and concerns from staff, without even getting to know the job and what it entails.

This person is in charge of a team that they don't even have the guts to support.

In fact the only thing this person ever demonstrated correctly was how to be a good licker, especially to the retail team.

If you are someone who enjoys being disrespected along with a ridiculous workload with a low and unfair pay then this is the place for you!
Pros
They technically dont deserve the 1 star rating but unfortunately none was not an option.
Cons
Worst management on the planet, no seriously
Days are fast-paced with no dull moments. Exceptional management and staff. Registers are straight forward and not convoluted or confusing. Shift lengths are forgiving and fly by.
They need to show more consideration to workers who have mental issues as for the managers STOP putting the workers down with their negative attitude they love to talk about their staff to other staff members
Cheap as Chips is a great place for casual, part time work. The store gets a wide variety of staff which keeps the job fun and interesting. It has a lot of different stock which also makes the job fun. The management is great, they encourage teamwork in staff and keep the store organised ready for customers. This job is also great for juniors, as it's a lot of weekend and after school work.
good for a casual job young kids needing a foot in the door to get a first job, horrible for a management position over worked. forced to come in on days off. No support. Negative work place
Great people to work with, managers were ok to work for. Can't trust the ceo and his lickers. Backstab honest loyal workers just to save a buck, even if it means stealing benefits accrued by staff.
there is no communication between management and staff unless you are a supervisor. there is no place for you to improve with in the company unless you kiss butt.
Pros
you get paid
Cons
don't ever expect descent weekly hours unless you are a junior.
Not enough hours, only contracted to 12 hours per week. You get more hours during the busy period (Dec to Jan) but these hours soon drop down after this time.
Pros
10% Staff discount
Cons
Not enough contracted hours
A typical day here is like many retail stores. There are rush hours at lunch, after school and sometimes before we close. If there is a holiday being observed such as mothers day or Christmas, the pace is fast and consistent. Having a bond and nice co-workers helps get through the busy and hard days.
I enjoyed the time that I worked here and would recommend this job to anyone looking at a flexible, casual job while studying or as a Christmas casual. Perfect workplace to comfortably develop strong customer service skills and a wide variety of other skills which will assist in future occupations.
Pros
Good staff discount and friendly co-workers
Cons
Sometimes unorganised
Overall, I had a nice time working as a Casual at Cheap As Chips. While not too taxing, there were interesting challenges in the job, such as time management An enjoyable work environment with a mixture of teamwork, fun and productivity. Not somewhere to slack off (nowhere is). The 15% off benefit was nice and well-used. Customer relations, while not only important, were often nice interactions, particularly with regulars. The only thing I would say, work-life balance, particularly for a school student, was not very flexible.
During my time at Cheap As Chips, the work environment was always very fast-paced and rewarding. Usually, a 9 o'clock start followed by a speedy day of cleaning, restocking and general retail activities. Customer relationships are very important in this workplace and easy to uphold with a smile. Always helpful and friendly staff, however not the most flexible for school students. Overall, a customer-oriented environment not for the stiff-faced and driven, if inflexible, management.
Pros
Proximity to food shops, nice building space for retail responsibilities and workplace comfort.
Cons
Backroom temperatures, mostly inflexible shift scheduling.
I enjoyed working there everyone was nice, the managers were very kind and would take time out to help me out and to give me pointers on working there to get a better job done.
Cheap as chips is a great company to work for. I am looking for more work as i would like to work more hours then i do as everyone's hours at cheap as chips has been cut for funding purposes.
Pros
great people to work under always a happy work place
Cons
not enough hours
I have worked at cheap as chips for the past 5-6 years in two different stores.
At first i loved working for the company but as "new" head office came into action in the last year and a half in one of the Victorian stores. The company has gone to the toilet.

Prices on things have skyrocketed and at an ALL-TIME high.

We've been initiinging 3-4promotions a week. With little notice of these promotions comming into play. We have to MANUALLY put these promotions into the sales rather than it being time effiecient.

Hours are being cut meaning their is less team members on the floor and it's harder to live off the minimum 12 hours at 20$ an hour as a part time employee. Alot of staff are having to search elsewhere for jobs because there's a fair chunk of us who study and have other commitments that we need more scheduled hours.

I personally sustained an inury at work, fracturing 2 bones and tearing a previous rebuild of a ligament injury. And a possibility of damaging my siatic nerve. After negilence of the back area and lack of maintenanceThe company only compensatated for my fractures but it was a bare minimum and only paid wages. I was forced back to work by a manager and practically screamed at by said manager telling me " your only in it for the money" when i still had a fibreglass cast and my mental health was seriously affected. I was anxious and mentally not ready to return to work.

After the injury i was consitinatly spoken down to by management and told not to do anything that would hurt my injury. However i was then put on register and having broken my
 - more...
Pros
Good people
Cons
Management and support from head office
In the beginning of my time at Cheap as Chips it was great. NOW with the new lot in charge it’s has gone down the drain. The new management doesn’t listen to staff who have been in the company for more than 5 years and know what works at the store level.
This business used to be a caring and helpful place but the new folks running the joint couldn’t care less about the people on the floor.

It sometimes feels like the buyers have stopped doing their jobs, as we have so many empty shelves and hooks that customers are asking us if we are going out of business.

Time is being wasted moving too much stock to our promo area, we are, sometimes, triple handling stock, from pallets to section to promo to section again, when we should be getting all the stock out so our customers can get the products they are after. Customers still don’t recognise that we have a promo section, they go to the sections looking for the catalogue items so the promo dumpys seem like such a waste of time and space.

Many stores are running on a skeleton crew with customers finding it hard to find anyone in the store

The constant price changes are getting ridiculous. A lot of the products come pre priced and we are spending way too long cutting off tags or scratching off stickers or changing the price at the registers when the customer points out the discrepancy. It’s not hard to just stoped changing the price of these particular products. Most of the prices are increasing and customers are noticing, they are walking out without buying anything and upper management/head office are wondering why our customer
 - more...
Pros
The people on the floor
Cons
Head offices lack of care
Good people in the stores who are fun and have good intentions, but terrible upper management who make bad decisions and have no idea how to actually run the company. Multiple changes of the people in our store for no real reason and a real poor attitude.
Working at Cheap As Chips has been a really great experience because the workday is always filled with laughter. Management staff is kind and understandable people who will help you if you are struggling while working. The staff at Cheap As Chips aren't just people who you work with they are your friends and people who you can have a good time with. The hardest part of the job would be to handle customers who get angry easily because you don't want to make them madder. The most enjoyable part would be just coming into work knowing that it is a safe environment and you don't have to be scared to ask for help.
Pros
dinner parties
Cons
short hours for casuals
Productive and fun working environment with friendly and dependable staff. Training provided is easy and explained thoroughly. Break times are even and fair.
An amazing single handed built company that was sold to investors and is now going down the gurgler. Much like wendys restaurant chain, which also went down the gurgler.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No idea how to run it
Ask a question about working or interviewing at CheapasChips. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7