CheapasChips
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Working at CheapasChips: 66 CheapasChips Reviews

Australia66 reviews

3.1Work–Life Balance

Fast paced and forward moving

Bringing in new and current infrastructure to aid in daily routine and to increase productivity via bonuses. Store walks, implementation of support office requirements, staff cleaning of store. Great culture and values.

Pros

Free morning teas to store winners for the month

Cons

Rotating rosters

Such a good team and lovely managers

Currently, the management is amazing at CAC. We all get along so well, the music is great and the hours are flexible. I love it here and will be sad to leave when I go to uni.

Pros

Awesome team and management

Cons

Glittery hands at Christmas

Toxic work culture and under paid

No support from the regional manager, unrealistic KPI expectations, managers are offered personal contracts which are often paid lower than others of the same level, salaried at 38hrs per week but expected to work much more. Toxic work culture is ignored from upper management. I could go on. It is also a very physically demanding job.

Pros

Great local staff

Cons

To many to mention

Great work ethic

The first thing i noticed when i was employed at Cheap as Chips, was the staff participation with each other.Everyone was very helpful and easy to get along with. The Manager was the best person to work with also, nothing was ever a problem.

Pros

Great workplace and mates

Cons

Hours werent always good

Head office "management"?

There is one person in particular who is head of a department and personally, i can't think of anyone worse for that job. -they have absolutely no people skills whatsoever. -you cannot go to this person in confidence as they tend to discuss issues with other team members rather than address first hand with the staff member concerned. -they play favorites -they make and act on assumptions rather than find out facts which leads them to automatically blame and point fingers at those who are clearly not their favorite. -they completely ignore any and all concerns put forward regarding ridiculous workloads. -you go to them regarding bullying issues only to be advised to ignore them and that it's about making $ at the end of the day. -they intentionally degrade you in front of other staff. This person walked into the roll and made a whole bunch of changes ignoring the warning signs and concerns from staff, without even getting to know the job and what it entails. This person is in charge of a team that they don't even have the guts to support. In fact the only thing this person ever demonstrated correctly was how to be a good licker, especially to the retail team. If you are someone who enjoys being disrespected along with a ridiculous workload with a low and unfair pay then this is the place for you!

Pros

They technically dont deserve the 1 star rating but unfortunately none was not an option.

Cons

Worst management on the planet, no seriously

good bunch of girls

I never even worked at this company. I'm sure its a fine work place. I'm just trying to fill up characters so I can apply for a new job. okay all done

Awesome workplace, great company

Days are fast-paced with no dull moments. Exceptional management and staff. Registers are straight forward and not convoluted or confusing. Shift lengths are forgiving and fly by.

You will need to be very tolerant with the managers

They need to show more consideration to workers who have mental issues as for the managers STOP putting the workers down with their negative attitude they love to talk about their staff to other staff members

Great place for casual work

Cheap as Chips is a great place for casual, part time work. The store gets a wide variety of staff which keeps the job fun and interesting. It has a lot of different stock which also makes the job fun. The management is great, they encourage teamwork in staff and keep the store organised ready for customers. This job is also great for juniors, as it's a lot of weekend and after school work.

I wouldnt work there

good for a casual job young kids needing a foot in the door to get a first job, horrible for a management position over worked. forced to come in on days off. No support. Negative work place

Great loyal workers.

Great people to work with, managers were ok to work for. Can't trust the ceo and his lickers. Backstab honest loyal workers just to save a buck, even if it means stealing benefits accrued by staff.

not sure

there is no communication between management and staff unless you are a supervisor. there is no place for you to improve with in the company unless you kiss butt.

Pros

you get paid

Cons

don't ever expect descent weekly hours unless you are a junior.

Can be a fun place to work, just not enough hours.

Not enough hours, only contracted to 12 hours per week. You get more hours during the busy period (Dec to Jan) but these hours soon drop down after this time.

Pros

10% Staff discount

Cons

Not enough contracted hours

Fast paced learning

A typical day here is like many retail stores. There are rush hours at lunch, after school and sometimes before we close. If there is a holiday being observed such as mothers day or Christmas, the pace is fast and consistent. Having a bond and nice co-workers helps get through the busy and hard days.

Good workplace to develop essential skills

I enjoyed the time that I worked here and would recommend this job to anyone looking at a flexible, casual job while studying or as a Christmas casual. Perfect workplace to comfortably develop strong customer service skills and a wide variety of other skills which will assist in future occupations.

Pros

Good staff discount and friendly co-workers

Cons

Sometimes unorganised

A good place to develop interpersonal skills for staff and customer relations.

Overall, I had a nice time working as a Casual at Cheap As Chips. While not too taxing, there were interesting challenges in the job, such as time management An enjoyable work environment with a mixture of teamwork, fun and productivity. Not somewhere to slack off (nowhere is). The 15% off benefit was nice and well-used. Customer relations, while not only important, were often nice interactions, particularly with regulars. The only thing I would say, work-life balance, particularly for a school student, was not very flexible.

Good workplace for those who excel at customer relations.

During my time at Cheap As Chips, the work environment was always very fast-paced and rewarding. Usually, a 9 o'clock start followed by a speedy day of cleaning, restocking and general retail activities. Customer relationships are very important in this workplace and easy to uphold with a smile. Always helpful and friendly staff, however not the most flexible for school students. Overall, a customer-oriented environment not for the stiff-faced and driven, if inflexible, management.

Pros

Proximity to food shops, nice building space for retail responsibilities and workplace comfort.

Cons

Backroom temperatures, mostly inflexible shift scheduling.

Fun to work at and fair pay

I enjoyed working there everyone was nice, the managers were very kind and would take time out to help me out and to give me pointers on working there to get a better job done.

a great group of people to work for

Cheap as chips is a great company to work for. I am looking for more work as i would like to work more hours then i do as everyone's hours at cheap as chips has been cut for funding purposes.

Pros

great people to work under always a happy work place

Cons

not enough hours

Was so much better

In the beginning of my time at Cheap as Chips it was great. NOW with the new lot in charge it’s has gone down the drain. The new management doesn’t listen to staff who have been in the company for more than 5 years and know what works at the store level. This business used to be a caring and helpful place but the new folks running the joint couldn’t care less about the people on the floor. It sometimes feels like the buyers have stopped doing their jobs, as we have so many empty shelves and hooks that customers are asking us if we are going out of business. Time is being wasted moving too much stock to our promo area, we are, sometimes, triple handling stock, from pallets to section to promo to section again, when we should be getting all the stock out so our customers can get the products they are after. Customers still don’t recognise that we have a promo section, they go to the sections looking for the catalogue items so the promo dumpys seem like such a waste of time and space. Many stores are running on a skeleton crew with customers finding it hard to find anyone in the store The constant price changes are getting ridiculous. A lot of the products come pre priced and we are spending way too long cutting off tags or scratching off stickers or changing the price at the registers when the customer points out the discrepancy. It’s not hard to just stoped changing the price of these particular products. Most of the prices are increasing and customers are noticing, they are walking out without buying anything and upper management/head office are wondering why our customer -

Pros

The people on the floor

Cons

Head offices lack of care

Fun place at lower levels, not so much at higher levels

Good people in the stores who are fun and have good intentions, but terrible upper management who make bad decisions and have no idea how to actually run the company. Multiple changes of the people in our store for no real reason and a real poor attitude.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CheapasChips. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7