CheapasChips
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

CheapasChips Management reviews

Australia64 reviews
Great people to work with, managers were ok to work for. Can't trust the ceo and his lickers. Backstab honest loyal workers just to save a buck, even if it means stealing benefits accrued by staff.
There is one person in particular who is head of a department and personally, i can't think of anyone worse for that job.

-they have absolutely no people skills whatsoever.

-you cannot go to this person in confidence as they tend to discuss issues with other team members rather than address first hand with the staff member concerned.

-they play favorites

-they make and act on assumptions rather than find out facts which leads them to automatically blame and point fingers at those who are clearly not their favorite.

-they completely ignore any and all concerns put forward regarding ridiculous workloads.

-you go to them regarding bullying issues only to be advised to ignore them and that it's about making $ at the end of the day.

-they intentionally degrade you in front of other staff.

This person walked into the roll and made a whole bunch of changes ignoring the warning signs and concerns from staff, without even getting to know the job and what it entails.

This person is in charge of a team that they don't even have the guts to support.

In fact the only thing this person ever demonstrated correctly was how to be a good licker, especially to the retail team.

If you are someone who enjoys being disrespected along with a ridiculous workload with a low and unfair pay then this is the place for you!
Pros
They technically dont deserve the 1 star rating but unfortunately none was not an option.
Cons
Worst management on the planet, no seriously
Days are fast-paced with no dull moments. Exceptional management and staff. Registers are straight forward and not convoluted or confusing. Shift lengths are forgiving and fly by.
Cheap as Chips is a great place for casual, part time work. The store gets a wide variety of staff which keeps the job fun and interesting. It has a lot of different stock which also makes the job fun. The management is great, they encourage teamwork in staff and keep the store organised ready for customers. This job is also great for juniors, as it's a lot of weekend and after school work.
good for a casual job young kids needing a foot in the door to get a first job, horrible for a management position over worked. forced to come in on days off. No support. Negative work place
there is no communication between management and staff unless you are a supervisor. there is no place for you to improve with in the company unless you kiss butt.
Pros
you get paid
Cons
don't ever expect descent weekly hours unless you are a junior.
Overall, I had a nice time working as a Casual at Cheap As Chips. While not too taxing, there were interesting challenges in the job, such as time management An enjoyable work environment with a mixture of teamwork, fun and productivity. Not somewhere to slack off (nowhere is). The 15% off benefit was nice and well-used. Customer relations, while not only important, were often nice interactions, particularly with regulars. The only thing I would say, work-life balance, particularly for a school student, was not very flexible.
During my time at Cheap As Chips, the work environment was always very fast-paced and rewarding. Usually, a 9 o'clock start followed by a speedy day of cleaning, restocking and general retail activities. Customer relationships are very important in this workplace and easy to uphold with a smile. Always helpful and friendly staff, however not the most flexible for school students. Overall, a customer-oriented environment not for the stiff-faced and driven, if inflexible, management.
Pros
Proximity to food shops, nice building space for retail responsibilities and workplace comfort.
Cons
Backroom temperatures, mostly inflexible shift scheduling.
I have worked at cheap as chips for the past 5-6 years in two different stores.
At first i loved working for the company but as "new" head office came into action in the last year and a half in one of the Victorian stores. The company has gone to the toilet.

Prices on things have skyrocketed and at an ALL-TIME high.

We've been initiinging 3-4promotions a week. With little notice of these promotions comming into play. We have to MANUALLY put these promotions into the sales rather than it being time effiecient.

Hours are being cut meaning their is less team members on the floor and it's harder to live off the minimum 12 hours at 20$ an hour as a part time employee. Alot of staff are having to search elsewhere for jobs because there's a fair chunk of us who study and have other commitments that we need more scheduled hours.

I personally sustained an inury at work, fracturing 2 bones and tearing a previous rebuild of a ligament injury. And a possibility of damaging my siatic nerve. After negilence of the back area and lack of maintenanceThe company only compensatated for my fractures but it was a bare minimum and only paid wages. I was forced back to work by a manager and practically screamed at by said manager telling me " your only in it for the money" when i still had a fibreglass cast and my mental health was seriously affected. I was anxious and mentally not ready to return to work.

After the injury i was consitinatly spoken down to by management and told not to do anything that would hurt my injury. However i was then put on register and having broken my
 - more...
Pros
Good people
Cons
Management and support from head office
In the beginning of my time at Cheap as Chips it was great. NOW with the new lot in charge it’s has gone down the drain. The new management doesn’t listen to staff who have been in the company for more than 5 years and know what works at the store level.
This business used to be a caring and helpful place but the new folks running the joint couldn’t care less about the people on the floor.

It sometimes feels like the buyers have stopped doing their jobs, as we have so many empty shelves and hooks that customers are asking us if we are going out of business.

Time is being wasted moving too much stock to our promo area, we are, sometimes, triple handling stock, from pallets to section to promo to section again, when we should be getting all the stock out so our customers can get the products they are after. Customers still don’t recognise that we have a promo section, they go to the sections looking for the catalogue items so the promo dumpys seem like such a waste of time and space.

Many stores are running on a skeleton crew with customers finding it hard to find anyone in the store

The constant price changes are getting ridiculous. A lot of the products come pre priced and we are spending way too long cutting off tags or scratching off stickers or changing the price at the registers when the customer points out the discrepancy. It’s not hard to just stoped changing the price of these particular products. Most of the prices are increasing and customers are noticing, they are walking out without buying anything and upper management/head office are wondering why our customer
 - more...
Pros
The people on the floor
Cons
Head offices lack of care
Good people in the stores who are fun and have good intentions, but terrible upper management who make bad decisions and have no idea how to actually run the company. Multiple changes of the people in our store for no real reason and a real poor attitude.
Working at Cheap As Chips has been a really great experience because the workday is always filled with laughter. Management staff is kind and understandable people who will help you if you are struggling while working. The staff at Cheap As Chips aren't just people who you work with they are your friends and people who you can have a good time with. The hardest part of the job would be to handle customers who get angry easily because you don't want to make them madder. The most enjoyable part would be just coming into work knowing that it is a safe environment and you don't have to be scared to ask for help.
Pros
dinner parties
Cons
short hours for casuals
Great place to work, management team friendly, staff great to work with.No advancement into management.Hours were normal trading hours as other retail companies.
Pros
great staff
Cons
some staff hard to get along with
Had only been here 1 week in training and had been treated very poorly, no training provided within the week I was there then was let go because I wasn’t good enough/ up to their ridiculous standards. Very underpaid and are expected to stay back with no pay. Would 100% not recommend
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Pay/ poor culture/ bullying/ high expectations without praise
Amateurish upper management and support teams in head office have no idea how a shop runs at "chips" (lol) and the new head office support staff (hired in last 4 years) that should know as they came from shops have either conveniently forgotten what it was like or as is most likely the case, had little to nothing to offer in shops, so their lack of output and work ethic has naturally carried over with them.

Used to sell cheap "stuff", now its overpriced "stuff" of lesser quality. Dont "try" to share this opinion with the buyers as they know more than the waves of customers telling you're expensive and im going elsewhere, plus they wont respond to your calls or emails.

Regarding customer numbers, dont try to use it as a possible reason for falling customer numbers when HO are grilling you as to why are your customer numbers down, as its not a reason.

This will be long winded but if you want a very basic view of day to day, whilst keeping in mind I am leaving things off this, then read on: As a manager if you want to do at least 4 things at once (have the cordless phone, be the only one on floor who can do refunds because we cant afford to give the coded staff more hours, even though they're begging for them and you're the bad guy saying no, have to get 6 pallets of stock out yourself today, manage 2 staff to get the remaining 6 pallets out, checking to see if HO changed the reggie challenge promo/facebook promo for the 3rd time today, along with all the other correspondence like recalls, pricing mistakes, something didn't download so can you print 300 labels
 - more...
Pros
Staff, before the good ones realise they're are being used and underpaid and leave, then they'll be a con with the duds left, which is nearly the case. Manager positions available so you will get one, but thats because they're all leaving.
Cons
Upper management, support office, lack of training, bullying culture, HR is a joke, too many wanting to make change, make "their impact" without logically thinking the decision through
This company has old dinasour managers that do not like to be challenged or adapt to change. They bully, harass and intimidate new staff as they want to feel superior and try to show dominance. Upper management choose to ignore any bullying that goes on in the workplace and instead of dealing with the issue at hand they try to push you out of the company to not have to deal with it. Pay is considerably low with the expectations required. If you want to be respected and treated fairly, this is not the company to work for.
Pros
Discount
Cons
I loved the customer service, stock replenishment side of the job. I also enjoyed the companionship of a team environment and believe if you can make your job enjoyable, then you get more out of your employees. Being acknowledged for work well done was a moral booster.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
management
The work was easy and enjoyable. However the people's attitudes and blatant disrespect to most workers, was very poor. Management needs changing, lots of who you know, not what you know, and nepotism in the workplace.
Pros
enjoyable work, some decent workers.
Cons
early hours, bad management.
It used to be a fantastic place to work. Not so much now. Such a shame. The expectations required is impossible with higher budgets and less hours. Upper management have no respect for there store managers. They have no positive feedback it is all negative.
Pros
Good customers and local store based staff
Cons
Overworked and underpaid. No respect from head office management
there ok good to talk to some people there are nice but some other people there are not so nice would rather work in a more nicer work place with better management
was an ok place to work at just didnt have the security that i was after aswell as didnt have the progression in the workplace i craved. thus it only gets 3 stars
Pros
people
Cons
head honchos