Chemist Warehouse
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Chemist Warehouse Employee Reviews

never allowed time off for personal reasons, not even for graduations or exams. not willing to help you find replacements so you can be covered either
Pros
discount on everything
Cons
managers don't care about employees life outside work
Coworkers are great, they’re the only reason I stayed for as long as I did. Management is disgusting and have serious double standards for workers. If they like you, then feel free to stand around talking and going on your phone during your shift. If they don’t, make sure you’re constantly working and don’t go a minute over on your breaks otherwise you’ll get in trouble. Pay is absolutely TERRIBLE. They will hire you with all of these promises to advance and improve just to throw you on tills for 8 hours at a time without even providing you with a mat to stand on, leaving your feet to constantly ache even when you’re not working. I’m pretty sure my feet are permanently damaged from it tbh. I HATED working here. I worked weekends mostly and they didn’t even give us penalty rates. The expectations are just ridiculously unrealistic for the amount of money they give you. Not to mention they can afford to run two TV shows but can’t pay you above minimum wage. Chemist warehouse is an absolute joke.
Pros
10% discount, friendly coworkers
Cons
I've read some dreadful reviews here in regards to CWH but my personal experience has been nothing but positive. I think it depends on the owner, the manager and your co-workers as this is the best job I've had. Training is minimal so you do need to learn on the job, train on your own time and rely on your co-workers for help.
Pros
Great monthly goodie bags for attending training
Cons
Minimum wage is outrageously low, Management can pick and choose their favourite employees which can impact hours offered.
Would not recommend Hervey Bay Chemist Warehouse. Retail Manager is a bully and Manager does not support staff or complaints. If you are not into back stabbing people this job is not for you. Management talk about staff and make fun of staff on a daily basis. Retail Manager sits watching staff on camera all day worrying about their lunch breaks. Horrible place to work!!!!
Pros
Leaving at the end of the shift
Cons
Friendly place to work hahaha what a joke.
From the very start you are trained in many areas, you get the opportunity to learn more and change positions with provided training and pharmacy certificates. Owner and managers are easy to talk to and very hands on.
Pros
Training provided
Cons
Paid minimum rates
Awful job to work for. Treated like a child by ALL mangagment and not good pay at all. Would rather work a salvos store then chemist warehouse. Besides the prices for some items, do not recommend
Pros
Lunch break and leaving
Cons
Working at chemist warehouse was the most depressing experience of my life. Management only cares about feeling important and making money. Staff were almost never trained appropriately and “senior” staff members (been there for years so were forced to assist others without extra pay) were required to pick up the slack. Management would just yell and threaten people’s jobs if work wasn’t completed how they wanted without actually listening to staff or addressing the (very obvious) issues. Most bizarre approach to “management” I’ve ever seen. Incredibly poor hiring process. Almost everyone has been hired because they know the owner or someone else who works there. This has created a toxic environment where certain staff members are favoured over others because they have a personal relationship with the owner/management. Management only cares about making money and as a consequence they treat their staff like they are subhuman.
Pros
Cons
Literally everything
Was treated very poorly, management had no idea what they were doing and took them over a month to properly transfer me They only worry about getting all the stock out on shelves and filling I was then told there wasn’t much work for me and left practically in the dark for months , struggling to get a hold of someone then I was fired and the reason was because they couldn’t afford to give work to any of the casuals. After talking to a few loyal friends it turns out that some of the full timers had to take on more work and work night shifts as they were understaffed and even work in other stores. Even some were moved to a different store to help open only to then be told they were staying there permanently. They have no regard or sympathy for their workers at all and do what they please.
Cons
Great for first job, but they can be intimidating and expect you to work after hours for no pay but time in lieu. Very stressful in management. Head office come rate the store they are rude. Staff meetings you are made feel bad if you can not go.
Pros
Great friends
Cons
Already stated
For a large company there is a very poor work culture and management cares only about money and efficiency. There is no such thing as a Human Resources department and absolutely no accountability for poor managers. Minimum wage, yet the expect you to treat it like it’s your dream job. Doesn’t matter how long you work for them, loyalty means nothing. Wouldn’t bother
Pros
They pay you
Cons
Poor work culture, stressful, poor management, inflexible
working here molds you to become a better and productive employee and become passionate with work as you need to address customers' needs especially the nature of the business is about health, wellness, and providing medications
False promises of promotions bullying team members and management the worse job I had in my life they are two faced false human beings leading their customers to believe they are the best in the industry only by price nothing else.
Pros
The people there were so friendly and actually helped rather than scolded, It was a fun experience and I got along with most of the people that were working there.
After working solid hours across 3 different stores at sometimes an hours notice, I was treated appallingly by Chemist Warehouse as a casual worker. I did the tasks I was required to complete on time, I had a wonderful reputation with customers, and learnt everything quickly. They rewarded this with months on end of NO communication at all, an awful wage, rude behaviour from management, and being made to work in potentially dangerous situations involving ladders. I think this company should be ashamed about how they treat their staff.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Awful wage, unhappy colleagues, terrible communication.
I had to handle a lot of customers every day, but not much of a hassle 'cause I liked to help them out and enjoyed having conversations with them. Mostly, I loved my team a lot.
It was a pleasant experience. The job is fast paced but some what manageable. You need excellent customer service skills as well as patience and organisation.
While working I learned how registers work, the stock, how to sell products (off sale), I got very good hours. The hardest part of the job was when it got busy during Christmas and New Years, which was exhausting trying to keep customers happy and not wait very long. I enjoyed talking to new people and learning new things.
Pros
breaks
Cons
having to balance hours with after school homework
if your a kid still in school or even just finished school good to work for this company. Standard hours, great pay, fast paced so you wont find your self strolling around looking for anything to do.
Pros
good pay, good hours, job security
Cons
rude customers
It is good to work in a culturally diverse environment as employees come from different countries and the management there is pretty personalized as people need to do the type of job based on their strengths.
I've worked as full-time and part-time and in both cases I was treated awfully. As a full-timer they overwork you and give you things to do but never enough time to do them. There's no appreciation for hard work and although they pay award rates, it isn't enough to compensate for the stress and pressure that they put on you. When they need you to make a decision they intimidate you and don't give you time to consider your options. Working as a pharmacy assistant I learned how to lie to customers about products because although they train you how to run the store, they don't train you about anything to do with medical stuff unless you are a dispensary staff member. Big difference there in treatment. Management is awful, even if you have a good store manager, they are controlled by their own bosses who often interfere with your work and make you feel like you are bad at your job and that you are replaceable. If you take a job here, be prepared to have your shifts cut without proper paperwork, to not get paid overtime if you are part-time unless you fight for it and to have to take significant time off from work and life due to the stress levels. But don't expect them to be nice about you taking sick leave either. Ever. Because even though you will work in a place that means you can catch a cold or other illnesses quite easily and you won't want to spread your sickness to customers or other employees, you'll get treated poorly for staying home. The most enjoyable part of the job is when they contact me in the late evenings about work related things instead of just waiting - more...
Pros
They're constantly hiring because people are quitting all the time.
Cons
Constant overtime during inspection time periods, worked too hard for such little pay, petty and passive aggressive management, unrealistic expectations.
The workplace is quite stressful, staff are overworked. The one good thing about the place is that you have your routine and management just wants you to complete your work and go. No issues for me.