Chemist Warehouse

Chemist Warehouse Employee Reviews

3.0Work–Life Balance

Too much work load

Work involves heavy lifting, and you get deliveries everyday. You learn about different or new released products which could be interesting. Depending on the section you're looking after, you can get sent to trainings and receive freebies. If you get lucky, your colleagues could be really helpful (depends on the store, you can also get asked to work in a different store - not all the time but once in a while).

Pros

Freebies, discounts

Cons

Work load

Don’t recommend it

No worklife balance, management is poor and treat you like you’re disposable. Pay is not equivalent to the work you’re made to do. Working here is very exhausting and can be crippling to your mental health due to no work life balance and nonexistent support from management. 0/10 would not recommend

Chemist Warehouse insights

What people like
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Energising work tasks

It was okay

It was a decent job, co workers were amazing and manager was okay. The only issue was the area manager. Discounts aren’t great and you’ll probably get minimum wage unless you’re a manager or supervisor .

Fun work

Good experience to get pharmacy roles, good to learn about pharmacy products, over the counter , provide training, reference, website in your workplace.

Productive work place

Loved working at chemist warehouse.Always learning new skills and working together as a team.I would not have left my job if I did not relocate back to New Zealand.

A review of Chemist Warehouse as a company (location not related)

Management always play favourites so moving up within the company is based on how much you suck up to them. They are almost all toxic.The pay isn’t good. Starting rate is minimum wage which is unfair considering how much work is expected of a normal pharmacy assistant. They ask you not to share your hourly rate with other staff members just to protect themselves.The company is required to have at least tea, coffee, and milk provided but all they have in the lunch room are expired products.They advertise opportunities available within the company but it’s always fake because they already hired someone and they just post it for formalities.

Cons

Stressful, toxic, favouritism

Unappreciative, horrible pay and disrespectful store managers.

Working for chemist warehouse has been the worst decision i have made in my life, you work your hardest yet they fail to recognise or show some sort of appreciation. The pay is HORRIBLE!! minimum wage is given, disrespectful store managers. The store managers are stuck up, they fail to understand any struggles you’re going through. You’re treated like rubbish. They overwork you and force you to stay longer than your shift without even asking prior when they have store visits, leaving everything till last minute which places pressure and loads of hard work on the employees. When you come up with an issue you’re facing with any store manager, the store manager is always being defended even though they’re in the wrong. Our feelings are off the charts and meaningless when we address them. Trust me on this, don’t waste you’re time and efforts working at an unappreciative, manipulating and disrespectful company. Proud to say i’m finally out of this place. Was absolute torture.

Busy and overworked Brunswick store

Worked at Chemist Warehouse for a number of years as a Pharmacy Assistant. Low pay, very busy. The only redeeming feature was the people I worked with. If you're looking for retail, find something better.

Pros

Cons

low pay, on your feet all day, short lunch breaks (30 min for lunch)

Don’t work here unless you like abuse.

You’re not seen as a person. Management will avoid communication with you. Your time will not be respected, and if you speak up about it, you better expect some nasty treatment from middle management.

Workflow and structure

No communication, left upto staff to figure out, so constant errors are made. No structure everyone doing minimal effort, frustrated so constant pressure on those workers who do work hard which also get burned out.

ok workplace with average management

- long shifts with 30 mins break- Bad customers- Management is alright sometimes- Knowing the products - Expected to know how the shop works even you are part time

Pros

The people

Cons

Personally a really good workplace for me.

All these reviews of chemist warehouse are valid and invalid too. The amount of times that my pay has not been correct is insane to even count. We were insisted to work our 10 hour shifts with just a 30 minute break. The management was so unorganised and the amount of times the "isle managers" would talk really bad about other people to each other is insane. 100% such a weird work place and would not recommend it to anyone. Please fix your management thanks.

Fun place to work

Fun place to work but the amount you get paid is too little for the amount of tasks and job needs to be done. Would recommend just if you starting work but not long term

co-workers were great, pay was beyond poor, management was terrible and degrading.

management poor, wages poor, co workers were great, typical day would be going into the back warehouse and grabbing stock and stickers to tagg and put away, learned alot of good people skills and building confidence

Pros

make good friends and build confidence in retail

Cons

Terrible pay, management degrade you, customers were very impatient (sick people)

Absolutely Awful

Management is so poor and clearly try and take advantage of staff. Many staff quit within the first month once they realise the toxic environment. DON'T WORK HERE.

Too much work for the pay

they worked you very hard and expected you to work a lot of hours. the pay was bad. it was very tiring. required a lot out of you to do stock, and the small was small and cramped.

Pros

staff discount (20%)

Cons

tiring, stressful

Product and fun place

Fun place to work for and fun with your employees. Employee is nice too. Career progression can happen a lot faster. I enjoyed working here snd would highly recommend

Bad pay and bad treatment

Worked at chemist warehouse for 3 years and you can’t really progress at all. All of the jobs are repetitive and very menial. Customers treat you awfully. The pay is horrible. Currently 19 getting paid only $18 per hour. Very hard to balance work with uni. Generally I can be flexible with my hours and my manager will work around however everyday I work there my soul gets drained from me

Underpayed Job with poor management

Bad management , poor pay , overworked staff. The management does not care about staff and there is favouritism in the workplace. Work place culture is also lacking.

Stressful

Pay isn't enough to cover cost of living. It is very difficult to get a pay rise and there is little advancement. You could be assigned manager duties at anytime without the correct pay. Workplace morale is very low. Discounts are only up to 10% and more often than not items are not discounted at all. I witnessed multiple instances where my co-workers' safety where threatened by customers. Management does nothing for this. If you can handle it the job security is very good.Do yourself a favour and find work somewhere else.

Great staff, good pay.

Many pros to working with this company, the staff were helpful and kind, the money was the amount you would expect from a retail job. A typical workday involved taking scripts in for customers and also advising on supplements, cosmetics and at times fragrances. Usually there are people assigned for each area but sometimes you just dabble between allof them when it gets busy. Management were good at informing the days tasks in the mornings and just let the staff get on with it. Hardest part would be on your own in a section ie supplements or fragrances on a busy day without any help which can be frustrating. On the other hand, it was rewarding to help and advise people on various things and the locals come back and remember that you helped them creating a bond with the customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chemist Warehouse. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Chemist Warehouse with

• Chemist Warehouse
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?