Chemist Warehouse

Chemist Warehouse Employee Reviews in Melbourne VIC

Melbourne VIC32 reviews

3.0Work–Life Balance

Work here for a while but not too long

Your work ethic is practically thrown out the door once new members are hired and constant workplace gossiping. The pro is that I got work experience through the previous management. When this chaged so did the workplace politics (ie. gossiping) Used to be good... The job entails quite repetitive movements and same day to day activities. Unless you want to move to retail management I solely reccomend after a period of working for CWH move into a new field, there is no potential career progress, unless you want to be a Pharmacist or Retail manager.

Personally a really good workplace for me.

All these reviews of chemist warehouse are valid and invalid too. The amount of times that my pay has not been correct is insane to even count. We were insisted to work our 10 hour shifts with just a 30 minute break. The management was so unorganised and the amount of times the "isle managers" would talk really bad about other people to each other is insane. 100% such a weird work place and would not recommend it to anyone. Please fix your management thanks.

Chemist Warehouse insights

What people like
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Energising work tasks

Horrible, soul sucking place to work

Working at Chemist Warehouse has completely beaten down my spirit. Understaffed, overworked and ridiculous expectations about how much I should be putting in for a job that pays the absolute minimum. Paid time off is not even a benefit here as you'd be lucky to ever be granted the luxury. At this point, I'm just writing it off as my pay out when I can finally quit. Customers are horrible, pay is horrible, expectations and the amount of responsibilities are horrible, the environment is horrible—there is nothing about this job I enjoy except the fact I get contracted hours and it is not shift work. Other than that, I would never recommend this job to anyone. Not even my worst enemy.

Pros

sometimes you can take home products that have are no longer fit to be sold

Cons

everything

it is a good place to learn about some of the retail pharmacy industry if you are thinking about a career in pharmacy

I think chemist warehouse is a great place to be if you are thinking of a career in pharmacy as a pharmacist or as a pharmacy assistant. You do get to learn about the world of retail pharmacy and it is interesting, busy but most of all, in my experience, I was lucky to work with so many different people, different ages and it was fun

Uncompromising and untrained management

The minimum wage pay is simply not worth the stressful environment that management will put their employees under. The retail aspect of the store takes itself too seriously. If you make a mistake, it will be brought up, no matter how small it is. This is because there are cameras at every single corner of the store. If you feel uncomfortable because you feel like you’re being watched your entire shift, that is because you are being stalked.They only look for your mistakes. Don’t expect to be rewarded or applauded for handling poor customers greatly or stocking shelves at a fast pace. Managers only want to put you down. Management has not had corporate training and are simply employees who have survived that far at the place. They do not know what they are doing, don’t understand how to compromise with their employees, and will do everything in their power to keep their power and ensure you do not touch it.With management so tight, you best believe that some employees will throw you under the bus to avoid being told off. This isn’t all employees, but only some. The work environment forces this behaviour.Only take a job here if you are trying to get your foot in the door of the retail or pharmacy door. If you already have that experience, you can do better.

Great

Very relaxed job, worked 10hrs per week under part time employment. Enjoyed recommending products to customers and the people I met whilst working there.

Personally a really good workplace for me.

All these reviews of chemist warehouse is wild. I personally love working there. Yeah there are times where the understaff environment shows but otherwise I do not get mistreated. It gets busy but that is because its a CHEMIST and we are so lucky to have products for not even that expensive at a local chemist for us. The pay is average and it's not bad either. It's not the best job to have if you are paying for rent or living individually but it's good pay for people who are just looking for a decent amount of money. The hardest part of the job is just the busy hours and when there is a lot of stock that needs to be put up, otherwise it's a very chill environment. The management is amazing at the chemist I work. I wasn't feeling well one day and I still wanted to work but the managers insisted on me leaving because they said I needed rest. I love it here

Lot of learning

Very stressful job with very low pay. Always understaffed and lot of work pressure with 4 times a year head office visits. People call in sick a lot and most of the employees are just not motivated to work.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Low pay

Dead end job

Toxic culture company as whole run badly , management at a store level on power trips rude and unprofessional who constantly threaten you your job. Lots of bitchiness and gossip/backstabbing. The role it self is easy but boring and repetitive no real progression unless you want to become a manager or dispense tech. You get paid really low but they expect you to work like it’s a 200k role and expect you to work public holidays or late or come in on days off before sore inspections

Pros

Occasional freebie

Cons

Poor pay, bad management

Depends on where/which chemist Warehouse you work

It’s not fun or exciting like most people would expect in a job. It’s more suitable for high school kids who just wanna do part time work for pocket money etc. The place I’m at has a very high turn over and job security is as bad as working casual or part time at a restaurant. If you’re looking for a good secure job in a place like chemist Warehouse then you might as well be an actual pharmacist not an pharmacy assistant or shop assistant cause you will get nowhere in the company.

Pros

Staff discount (vary upto 10% only)

Cons

Great fun place to work at, room for expanding within the company, great salary expectations

Changes from store to store - mine is on the better end

Working for a multi-billion-dollar company with countless store locations, the work culture and management is going to change vastly between each one. However, overall, you're working for a giant corporation with thousands of employees, so surprise surprise, they don't give two tosses about you.Thankfully I get along with most people at my store and the culture is pretty cute.Work security is fantastic as it's permanent part/full time. Advancement opportunities though are almost non-existent to most staff, as they don't want to spend any more money than they need. Personally, I take on weekend manager responsibilities without the pay or job title as my manager just expects it of me at this point.Staff get 10% off most thingsWe get lots of free stuff when it is taken of the shelf for being expired or almost at expiry.Pay is minimum wage.My store manager is a fantastic woman - but management above her is terrible.If you're just a kid in high school or even studying in uni I would actually recommend working at a CWH as a first job or just to make some money while you study - but if you're looking for a 'career' then definitely stay away.

Pros

Set shifts

Cons

Minumum wage, management doesnt care, stupid customers

Excellent work environment though very fast paced

I've read some dreadful reviews here in regards to CWH but my personal experience has been nothing but positive. I think it depends on the owner, the manager and your co-workers as this is the best job I've had. Training is minimal so you do need to learn on the job, train on your own time and rely on your co-workers for help.

Pros

Great monthly goodie bags for attending training

Cons

Minimum wage is outrageously low, Management can pick and choose their favourite employees which can impact hours offered.

Friendly people, Kinda quiet

The people there were so friendly and actually helped rather than scolded, It was a fun experience and I got along with most of the people that were working there.

The most enjoyable part of the job in my current workplace

It is good to work in a culturally diverse environment as employees come from different countries and the management there is pretty personalized as people need to do the type of job based on their strengths.

work experience

Worked as a student for work experience. Learnt a lot about different products. Was a bit boring job as all I did was stock shelves. We did learn how to make lotion though and had experts come in to talk about products once.

Eh - Not really worth it unless you're under 18

It was my job when I was around 15 years old - and although i wasn't treated poorly in any respect, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone over the age of 18 (unless you want to be a chemist).

Pros

Stable work, Stable work environment, Pretty flexible with hours.

Cons

Not enjoyable, Not always 100% friendly clients, They have terrible probationary hourly rate (which lasts for 6 months)

Productive and fun but can be busy

It is nice to work at chemist warehouse as it is generally quite relaxed and the pay is quite decent. You also get to learn a lot of new skills and meet a wide range of people.

if 1984 was a workplace

the worst place i’ve ever been employed. head management beyond horrible; caught them illegally selling formula in bulk. i had experience in a previous role and was yelled at during my very minuscule training for not asking them about ticket sizes ? no workplace heath and safety. no power or running water in team room. i was hospitalised and they hung up on my partner who called to tell them i wouldn’t make it in. called off sick due to domestic violence from a housemate and having police arrive and the next day they had the audacity to ask if that’s why i’d ‘ lost my vibrancy ‘. they will watch your every move on security cameras and call you from the other end of the store to berate you. discourage friendship or even communication between staff members. pay is absolute rubbish and not at all worth it. hours are long and boring with no thanks ever given. disgusting waste with excess tickets and signage. deceiving promotions. do NOT apply.

Productive and nice work environment

Its not a stressful job, sometimes it gets tiring tough but management is very helpful and workplace culture is also good. We have learned many things from managing to setting up the pharmacy.

Pros

discount for employees

Cons

putting up heavy stocks

Fun workplace team environment

Great place to work, in a positive team environment. Nice working conditions and good people, although pay is the bare minimum, unless working on weekends and other bonus days.

Pros

Good Team Environment

Cons

Pay

was glad to leave

I agree with some of the reviews, boring and repetitive. Apart from the lovely workers, management not so much it was bearable for the short time I was there. I was just brain dead at this place had to move on. Okay place for short term or students needing part time work.

Pros

Nice co workers. reasonable retail experience penalty rates a bonus.

Cons

being bored to death and working around sick people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chemist Warehouse. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Chemist Warehouse with

Learn about Chemist Warehouse in Melbourne VIC

• Chemist Warehouse
  • Melbourne VIC
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?